MHS – Chapter 129
3.1k 7 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The release date for [500 days of Summer] had been decided to be on the 15th of January, 2012. Will had been of half a mind, to wait another month and release the film on Valentine’s day, but thought better of it, as he wanted to speed up with his other projects. The only thing slowing him down was the original that the system had decided to dump on his head, plus right after the release of [500 days of Summer], he wanted to finish with [1917] and [Liberty City], as well. And then, he had to start the production for [Sherlock Holmes 2], as well. He had many project ideas that he wanted to implement and too little time to give them proper justification.

Based on the premiere of [500 days of Summer], the estimates suggested that it would make a solid 50 million USD, at least, and considering that Will’s name in and of itself was a selling point in Hollywood, he was pretty sure, it would break its original record of 60 million and land safely somewhere in the low 80 millions, at minimum. OP Studios had already worked out promotional advertisements and had established a specialized marketing team, just for this movie alone.

The main cast, Clark Reed and Natalie Bergmann, were invited to many talk shows, and promotional events to promote the movie. Will had worked out a strategy to show Natalie in the same light as Robert, promoting her as the next big thing in Hollywood. He had intentionally leaked snippets of her audition, her life story, and other interesting details, at her consent, to generate more hype behind her as an actor. DTA and Dream Vision had worked up a special marketing team, just for her, to create a better image for her in the industry.

***

The crew that had worked on [500 days of Summer], had gathered once again to take the initial screen test of [Liberty City]. After many sleepless nights, martial arts practices, and pacing in front of the mirror, like a mad man, Leo had managed to build himself a respectable physique and had also managed to memorize his lines. 

He was dressed in a black long coat, with a pinned-up tie. He had his hair oiled slick, and had the proper gangster attire, from the eighties. The scene that he was going to be playing was inside of a bar, where he has a meeting with Tommy Vercetti.

“Alright, whenever you’re ready Leo,” Will said, as he watched him give the screen test beside Amanda. At Leo’s nod, he motions to the tech handling the sync slate and calls “Action!” and the temporary actors, alongside Leo, started the scene.

Tommy Vercetti raises a glass. He and four of his men, along with Mario have gathered for drinks, at one of his bars. Mario is on one side surrounded by Vercetti’s men. 

Tommy looks at Mario and slowly says, after taking a gulp of beer “There’s an inherent threat in that one commanding syllable. It’s the only word some need to hear.”  

His statement confuses Mario, who questions “What’s that mean, the only word?” 

“You’re like Grotti. Nagasaki. Pegassi. A Brand.” Vercetti elaborates.

Mario mulls over the information “Brand. Interesting...” 

Vercetti takes a small pistol in his hand and fiddles with the muzzle and trigger as he continues “Di Mario is a brand. And an established reputation needs less maintenance. Less violence. People fall naturally in line. Clubs are asking for our protection before we even offer it.”  

Mario slowly nods, trying to figure out where he was headed, looking at the gun in his hand “That’s true. They are. I suppose it leaves us with less straightening out to do.” 

Vercetti confirms, as he places the gun in his pocket again and takes out a large hunting knife, with silver engravings etched on it. “That’s right.” 

Mario’s mood is slowly plummeting, as he considers the glass in his hand, as Vercetti continues “I happen to like a good straightener. Obliging someone on the cobbles. What’s wrong with that?” 

Vercetti finally looks him in the eye, as he places the knife on the table and one of his arms on Mario’s shoulder and says “I just think you could do better, Mario. It’ll keep you all out of prison, I mean, none of us are getting any younger. And you’ve got your lovely broad to think about. She’s a sweet little thing, isn’t she? I wonder, what would happen to her if you end up in jail? But don’t you worry, I will take good care of her.” He finishes as he places a few pictures of Mario’s girlfriend on the table.

Enraged, at the insinuation, without warning, Mario smashes his glass into Tommy’s face. As Vercetti falls to the floor, A few of the men try to grab Mario and brandish their knives. Mario flips the table he was sitting behind and kicks his seat back into the crotches of the two men, who were trying to stab him. The men drop the knife one of which Mario snatches and throws into the arm of Vercetti, who had pulled out his gun, again. The gun falls to the floor, as Mario vaults over the flipped table, kicking the recovering men in the head again, knocking them out due to his steel boots, and clambers for the gun.

Vercetti kicks the gun away, and uses his knife trying to slash at Mario, who dodges, but gets knicked on his cheek. Mario punches the hand with the knife, in Vercetti’s arm, loosening his grip, and then pulls Vercetti into a chokehold. 

Leo then exclaims in his ear “I’m marking your card! This is the mafia and I’m a player, understand? It’s not fucking Pegassi!”

Vercetti tries to kick Mario in the groin but fails, and claws at his eyes instead, and successfully gets out of the chokehold. Getting to his feet, he looks to his two remaining men again and says “Surround him, I’ll serve you up, you fucker! And then, I will have a little five on one with that dame you’re lolling around.”

Mario hurls a broken wooden chair at the two men trying to get behind him, knocking them out, and rushes Tommy who was clambering for his gun. He successfully tackles Tommy, to the ground again, and tries to get him in a stronger chokehold. Tommy grabs the knife that Mario had thrown at him, and shoves it into Mario’s shoulder, making him scream and loosen his grip.

Mario claws at the knife, pulling it out, and charges Vercetti, who was again reaching for the gun. Mario stabs the knife into the back of Vercetti’s throat, making him bleed and claw at his neck. Mario slowly catches his breath, and fails to notice that Vercetti has gotten hold of the gun, and was aiming it at him.

BANG.

“And Cut!” Will calls out.

There was total silence in the studio. After a few seconds of staring, Amanda breaks the silence and says “Where in God’s name did you find this guy?”

Will just chuckles and replies “It’s my specialty. So, what do you think?” He looks to the prop department that was taking the retractable knife away from Leo and nods at him.

“What do I think? Will, this kid just did an entire action sequence perfectly while remaining in character. This is fantastic!” She exclaims, getting up from her seat. She looked like Christmas had come early.

“I told you, didn’t I?” Will said.

“Yes, I can see this working out. This can really work out.” She breathes, as she again looks at Leo, who has finally managed to catch his breath and was looking at Will and Amanda, with hope written in his eyes.

Will got up from his seat, walked over to Leo, and said “You did good kid. The role is yours.” At his celebratory look he continued “But, I want the same dedication and passion that you have shown moving forward. I don’t want to see you slacking off.”

Leo quickly shook his head as he gave Will a strong hug and replied “I won’t let you down, Will”

104