Chapter 15
111 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, they finally started teaching me proper manners instead of wasting time on childish games. Eric was the only one involved, while the rest just watched and drank that black, bubbling liquid while chatting with each other in their tongue. Or rather, Mun-Hee and Ira had their playful spats while Booker and Jens sighed heavily, rolling their eyes.

And I didn’t even need to know their tongue to figure it out.

Once again, Eric proved himself to be extremely enthusiastic when it comes to teaching. He also proved himself to be quite perceptive too. As much as I went along with the “lesson”, and tried acting cluelessness, he did notice I had experience with it.

“You is doing well,” he said.

“You are.”

“Ah yes, sorry,” he said with a shy smile, “I wish I am as good at learning tongue as you are with learning manners.”

“I’ve worked with the nobles before, so I know how they act.”

“It is showing. But, I must say, it is unexpecting.”

“How so?”

“I never thinking nobles will teach a slave to act like a noble.”

“It’s only natural. They don’t want their escort shaming them in public.”

“That’s the thing. Why would a noble have a slave for escort? Why not someone of noble birth? Or a commoner?”

“Slaves don’t get to complain. And most of us wouldn’t. Escorting nobles improves your life dramatically. You don’t have to work hard to please them, you just have to look pretty, smile, and be a pleasant company. As for why the other nobles don’t want to escort their kind, it’s because they see it as an insult. It would mean their family is worse the other noble families. Although, it does happen when a noble family has a hard time.”

“You are very know-lead … know … you know a lot.”

“I’ve been at it for a long time.”

“At it?”

“I’ve been doing it for a long time.”

“Ah, I see. But then, why they give you to us?”

“To show their appreciation. I’m a valuable gift, you know? Slaves like me fetch a very high price.”

I gave him my cutest smile possible. And it worked, since he responded with an embarrassed smile.

“You certainly are valuable. Why you not tell us that before? Certainly, it is making sense to have you do what you are good at.”

“You didn’t ask. Miss Mun-Hee took me in without ever asked me anything about my past. And she is constantly nagging me how I should stay away from your males. How can I escort your nobles when I’m not allowed to get near them?”

“Do male escorts exist?”

“Oh yes, they do. There aren’t many of them, since it’s rare to see a female noble who’d flaunt her escort publicly. You see, when the nobles are married, their spouses act as escort. And female nobles are often married young. It’s much easier to get a girl married than a boy, the demand is much higher and far less hassle is involved. But, if it happens that a noble family has no male descendants, then you will see a female noble with male escort.”

“You certainly spend a lot of time with nobles.”

“Yes, I was with them from a very young age. I’ve spent more time with the nobles than with the other slaves.”

“And, how do you feel about it?”

“I feel great!”

“Really?” I don’t know why, but his face shifted to reflect extreme confusion.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“As a slave, you have no freedom.”

“Nobles have no freedom either.”

“How so?”

“They must do as their family demands. I don’t know how it is in your world, but noble families here don’t have a sovereign ruling over it. All adult family members gather to make a decision. Sure, some are more important than the others. For example, the elders’ opinion carries much more weight than the opinions of younger nobles. But even they can’t force a decision if the others are against it. So, just how the slaves are subjected to the whims of nobles, the nobles are subjected to the whims of their family. They aren’t free to make decisions on their own.”

“Still, that is better than being a slave. At least they have a voice.”

“Usually, yes. But it also comes with a lot of responsibility. Nobles are held responsible even for the things they’ve never agreed with. If your family makes a stupid decision, a decision you were opposed to from the very start, you’re still held responsible for it because you’re a part of the family. Slaves have no such responsibilities.”

“And no rights.”

“They have fewer rights but it’s not like they have none. For example, you’re not allowed to beat them. If a noble has an unruly slave, he can’t discipline him himself. He has to take him to the court. Well, that’s how it’s supposed to be. Some nobles do break the rules from time to time. But if they’re caught beating a slave, then the slave gets taken from them and they have to pay a fine. Also, slaves have to be provided for. Since they are an important part of the economy, the Empire isn’t willing to just let them get sick and die, especially now when we’re at war. These provisions also help prevent any possible rebellions. So it’s not like the slaves have no rights. But it’s true that most slaves aren’t aware of what their rights are and get abused easily.”

“As an escort slave who is talking with the nobles, you are aware of your rights?”

“Of course! Being an escort slave is a dream come true because you get the best of both worlds! You get to enjoy a luxurious lifestyle, like a noble, but you get minimal responsibilities. As long as you’re keeping your master satisfied, you have nothing to worry about.”

“What is happening when you are old? When you are no longer pretty, like now.”

“That’s … that’s actually a problem. When you get old, your value drops dramatically. Nobody will want you to escort them then.”

“Then, as a slave, you are at you’re master’s mercy. So, for the future, it is better to be free.”

“It Depends. Success isn’t guaranteed when you’re free, especially if you’re not a skilled artisan. And you can only work the farm if you have children. That way, nobles don’t have to worry about replacing their farmers anytime soon. So, the best I could hope for after the party is over was to marry some old, widowed peasant.”

“Because you would be old yourself?”

“Yes. It’s certainly better than nothing though.”

“Well, you not have to worry about that. Here, we want our ladies to be capable, not just pretty. So, even if you are Jens’ escort, you have to learn things that will make you capable. That way, even when you’re old you will still be useful.”

“Oh, I see! Although, you’ve only taught me etiquette today.”

“That is fast to learn and easy to understand. You just have to memorize it. Other lesions will be much harder. Remember math?”

Just hearing that word made me shudder.

“Yes, we will go back to it later. You will learn math for a long time.”

“You certainly love teaching. I take it you’re some esteemed scholar?”

“Not really. It’s just that, when I being young, I have no one to teach me. Nobody care. So, I want to give others chance nobody give me.”

I felt my ears stretching on their own. That was certainly unexpected to hear.

“How so? You’re clearly a well-educated person.”

“Yes, I am. I am working hard.”

“Of that, I have no doubt. It just sounds strange. You’re making it sound as if you didn’t have teachers when you were young. Maybe you used a wrong word?”

“No, I use good word. I have teachers, but they not care.”

“Why wouldn’t they? Didn’t your parents pay them to teach you what they know?”

“No. My parents not pay them.”

“Then … how … I have a hard time understanding what you’re trying to say.”

“Learning is different in our world. Yes, wealthy people pay teachers to teach their childs. But most of us cannot afford that. So, we get public teachers, who are paying by the government. You see, everyone in our world get an education. Even poor people. Government is paying that. But there is big difference. When you pay teacher you’re self, a teacher is focusing on the lession and is teaching only you’re child. When government is paying a teacher, he is teaching thirty children at one time. To cut costs and make education affordable to everyone. That make it very hard for them to teach. Imagine trying to teach while having thirty little, energy full devils in one place. Most teachers give up and stop caring.”

“And you were … poor?”

“Poor is a strong word, especially for this world. Poor in this world is not the same as poor in our world. My family have a home, food, cloths, we not lack in basics. But also cannot afford luxury, like good education.”

“So … how did you get educated enough to teach others?”

“Officially, I am not,” he said with a sour grin, “But I am working hard enough to find a patron.”

“Oh! I think we have the same thing! A wealthy noble will invest in a promising commoner if he agrees to work for them later.”

“Yes, that is how I get higher education.”

“Are you specialized in a certain area? Like a mage or a merchant?”

“Yes, you can say that.”

“What is your profession?”

“Uhh … there is no such profession in you’re world. It is very similar to what Mun-Hee works with. But, while she is an expert in how people think, I am an expert in how nations think.”

“How nations think?”

“Nation is shapeing people’s thoughts and, in turn, people shape nation. I study that.”

“Why?”

“Why not?”

“What why not?”

“Why not study it?”

“But why study it? It’s not like things are going to change.”

“I study to learn.”

“What for?”

“Because knowledge is power.”

6