Chapter 31
75 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The other humans joined us sometime later, and we were all led to a big room that was already full of people. They all gathered around a massive table in the middle. There were all kinds of maps scattered all over it, together with some figures which, I guess, represented the armies.

I don’t know how to read maps, but I do recognize one when I see it.

The rest of the room looked like all the other rooms where the nobles usually gather, with plenty of decorations, paintings, expensive carpets, lush chandeliers, and an occasional sculpture here and there.

“These are all my nobles and generals,” the Emperor said, pointing his outstretched hand at the people who were already in the room, “They will answer any questions you may have.”

“First of all, what do you need?” The queen asked before she had even reached the table.

An awkward silence followed.

“Will someone answer her already!” The Emperor roared at the gathered nobles.

“But, your majesty, are you sure we should give such an answer to an elf?” One of the nobles said.

“She’s not an elf, you dimwit! She doesn’t have ears! Besides, have you ever heard of an elf with tits this big?”

“I apologize, your majesty! I just …”

“I can answer that question,” the advisor, Rowena, ended the commotion, “Our main issue is the lack of funds. You see, our enemies are backed up by the high-elves, who have a monopoly on several luxurious commodities. That means they can throw as much coin as needed to cover hosagian expenses while our resources are limited.”

“And those hosagians are the felines you’re fighting?” The queen asked.

“Yes, Your Highness. They are fewer in number and are financially weaker, but they can easily recuperate their losses thanks to the elves. The elves also help them compensate for the lack of soldiers by hiring mercenaries.”

“Sometimes, the elves send their own elite units to fight,” one of the generals added.

“Those are mostly pegasi knights. Pegasi are horses that can fly, a rare breed of magical creatures. Thanks to that, they can change their positions quickly and strike suddenly while taking minimal risks. But the few elven troops are not the reason for the stalemate. It’s that we lack the funds to mount proper offensives and hire mercenaries. Not to mention that a large number of highly skilled smiths and armorers have switched the sides because the hosagians will pay them more.”

“I must say, you’re taking a huge risk here,” the queen said.

Since everyone got quiet all of a sudden, she continued: “What I’m trying to say is that you’re telling us that your Empire is in a perilous position and that you can’t afford another war.”

“Yes, but … had you intended to attack us, you would’ve already done so. You’re also risking your life by coming here, Your Highness.”

“My advisor is trying to wiggle her way out of it, but you’re right. We are taking a huge risk here. Not because we’re foolish, but because we have no other choice. What does it matter who causes our demise? Whether it’s hosagians or you, it won’t matter. The truth is that we can’t afford the war anymore. That’s why we’ve opened the portal. It wasn’t because we wanted to go on an adventure while the war is raging in our lands.”

“Is it because you wanted to pillage our lands?”

“We were told that there are no people on the other side. Why in the world would we open a portal to start a new war when we’re struggling with the one we already have? We were told that there is a lush, uninhabited world waiting for us, not a frozen wasteland.”

“You were fooled.”

“Indeed, we were. We were fooled by our enemies who thought that your people would attack us from behind. It’s our enemies who want to start a war with your people, not us.”

“Ok, so you need funds? Will the trade between our people be enough?”

“It certainly helps,” Rowena responded, “but it will help us maintain the balance at best. I don’t think it will be enough to turn the tide in our favor.”

“Does that mean that you want us to get involved?”

Once again, silence took hold of the room for a few moments.

“We have no right to ask that of you,” Rowena continued, “but we hoped that you may have some mercenaries who’d be willing to join us. We can consider it to be just yet another trade. Instead of exchanging the goods, you can lend us some mercenaries instead.”

“If your soldiers are as big as your golden-haired guy, just having them on our side will give us a morale boost,” one of the generals said, “It would also affect our enemies.”

“Hmm …” the queen stroked her chin as she considered those words.

“There’s another issue,” the Emperor said, “To tell you the truth, I don’t think any other nation will be friendly towards your people.”

“And why is that?”

“It’s because there is a rumor that you’re all demons. The other nations won’t be willing to negotiate like I am. You’ll probably get nothing but hostility from them, so why not make the most out of it.”

“Do you think that we’re demons?” The queen asked.

“The demons I’ve heard of look nothing like you.”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

“I really can’t say. I’ve never met a demon in my life. But if you truly are a demon, then I wouldn’t mind selling my soul to you.”

That made the queen smile wide: “Did you really just try to shift negotiations through flattery?”

“Flattery never hurt anyone. Besides, it’s true. That being said, I’m curious, what do you say? Are you a demon or not?”

The queen smiled even wider: “No, of course not. I’m not a demon. There are no demons in our world.”

“Isn’t that exactly what a demon would say?” One of the nobles pointed out.

Looking around the room, I realized that no one was calling him out on it. Not even the Emperor or his advisor.

“First of all, we don’t have the horns …”

“Not all demons have horns while some people do have them,” the Emperor interrupted, “However, if you say that you’re not a demon, then I’ll trust you. How can our people have meaningful relations without the two royals trusting each other? I’ll trust in you as long as you trust in me.”

“That sounds fair,” the queen agreed.

“And I’m telling you that the other nations will be hostile to your people. The church is to blame for that. You see, the church that my forefathers have established has turned against our lineage. They want to discredit me so they can take the throne for themselves. To that end, they started spreading rumors that you’re demons. They are trying to convince the people that the Emperor has gone mad and has started making deals with the devils. Unfortunately, those fabrications have spread beyond my borders, so now everyone thinks that your people are demons.”

“So, that’s how it is.”

“Do you really think I’d be talking with you in person if I thought that you are a demon?”

The queen giggled: “But you just said you’d sell your soul to me.”

“And I stand by it. I wouldn’t mind having you suck my soul out.”

“Is this some kind of test where you’re trying to see what you can get away with before I slap you?”

“Why in the heavens would you slap me?”

“Umm, I apologize, Your Highnesses,” Rowena stepped in, “but I think we have a cultural misunderstanding here. His Highness didn’t try to offend or disrespect you in any way.”

The queen considered that for a moment: “Ok, I will trust your word just like your Emperor trusts mine. As I understand, you people were never discourteous before.”

“That is true,” Jens confirmed.

“I agree with your Emperor’s assessment,” the queen continued, “but for a different reason. It has nothing to do with the wild rumors. It’s nothing but basic logic. Your Empire has been friendly towards us and has shown us plenty of goodwill. It would be foolish to throw it away just to seek insecurities with the other nations.”

“I’m glad you see it that way.”

“Still, there has to be something in it for us. And coin won’t do. The lives of my people aren’t so cheap as to be bought with mere coin.”

“What are you asking for?”

The queen approached the large table and pointed at one of the maps.

“As I understand, you’ve been struggling to capture the city of Qalo.”

“That’s true. It’s besieged, but the elves are supplying the defenders by the sea. Our navy, while glorious, can’t challenge the high-elven fleets. So we’re stuck in a stalemate on that front.”

“And I bet taking that city would free up considerable forces which would make a difference somewhere else.”

“Will you help us take that city?” Rowena asked.

“Yes, for a price. And that price will be the city of Qalo itself.”

The nobles started clamoring loudly. Finally, one of them spoke: “Are you saying we should hand the city over to you once it’s taken?”

“Your majesty,” the other noble jumped in, “the city of Qalo is not just any city. It’s a matter of honor. If we don’t capture the city for ourselves, then besieging it for centuries would’ve been for nothing! The whole war has been for nothing! Giving it away will bring great shame to you and your people.”

“As my nobles say, the cost is too high.”

“Up until now, we’ve been talking about the needs of your people. Let me tell you what my people need. We need a meaningful presence in this world. Embesi isn’t enough, we want to have a real foothold in this world. A place for our people to call home. A proper city. Asking you to give us a part of your territory would be incredibly rude, don’t you agree?”

“Absolutely.”

“So, we will take a city from your enemies. And the city of Qalo fits our needs perfectly. It’s not that far from the portal, it’s a decently sized city with good terrain and, most importantly, it has a nice, long coast. We want to build a navy with which we will explore your world and colonize uninhabited isles and continents. We think that solution is best for everyone.”

“Still, the price is too high.”

“We won’t just take the city. We will help you on all the other fronts. Rather than sending mercenaries, I will send my army to fight your enemies. We will help you retake all the territories you’ve lost and, in turn, you will let us keep the city of Qalo for ourselves. I think that giving away one enemy city, which has to be taken first by the way, is a good trade for turning the tide in your favor.”

“There is no guarantee that your soldiers will turn the tide in our favor.”

“How about this then. If my soldiers fail to turn the tide in your favor, we don’t get Qalo, even if we manage to capture it. So let’s make a deal where, for my people to get Qalo, we have to make sure you’ve recuperated your losses. I think that’s very generous from my side. Especially considering the situation you’re in.”

“Hmm …” The Emperor stroked his gargantuan belly as he considered those words, “that sounds better. Still, I never thought that was a possibility. I’ll have to discuss this with my nobles and generals first.”

 

6