Chapter 5.2 : Nobles
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a tense air between Arthur and the Count, Arthur more or less wants to end the conversation with the Count on the subject of courting with his daughter, the girl though… Was overjoyed to meet Arthur, well… marrying a ‘hero’ is probably as close as marrying prince charming, and Arthur does have that prince charming’s charm.

 

“I am sorry, but I have no interest in courting with your daughter…” A discomforted Arthur finally spoke up.

 

Bruh… very poor choice of words my ‘golden boy’ friend.

 

Knowing what he said was at best an insult to both of them, I scoot right over to them and defused the tension.

 

“What… my friend here was trying to say is, is that he is not interested in courting with any fair ladies because he is not ready!” As well-mannered and noble-ish I could be, said it to the Count and to his daughter, changing their faces into a more confused state rather than a horrified one. “He… still has a broken heart from the last girl he tried to court, you see… the girl cheated on him with another man, making him not that so trustful with other fair maidens.”

“Ahh… I am sorry Sir Arthur… I didn’t know… apologies, I’ve stepped over the line and I see that you still need time to heal…” With a shocked realizing tone, the Count apologized thoroughly and gave a pity glare at Arthur, where Arthur, though annoyed at the made-up excuse, went along with it by giving a saddened and a slight shamed face. “But… what about you Lord Protector? Have any fair maidens here struck an arrow to your heart yet? Maybe a certain girl beside me?”

 

And right there I knew he was only looking for political gravitas by making one of us interested in his daughter but… this is a tad bit pushy for a noble.

 

“Nope, someone dearest to me has already struck my heart with that arrow long ago, in fact… she was summoned here too with me! I guess we are fated, huh?” And after the Count’s attempts have been stricken down again, he and his daughter pardon themselves out.

“Nice lie, though try not to make me into a cuck next time please…” Arthur said.

“Lie? Not lies?” I teased him.

“I’ve known you since kindergarten dude!” Arthur stated.

“Touche…”

 

As we finished up and dodge a marriage arrangement, we began to walk back to the king, but suddenly he appeared, waving his arm with a playful grin on his face towards us or actually… it was more directed at me.

 

“Lord Protector!” He cried. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you!”

“Ahhh sorry, Grand Duke Alaxandair, I was helping out a friend from a premature arranged marriage!” I let out a chuckled when explained that him.

“Hahaha… well the three of you are important, symbolically and politically!” He stated.

 

This short, dark brown-haired, medium-sized golden eyes, and outgoing-ish 20 something person, who… can be mistaken as a girl from behind is the Grand Duke of Tuath, Alaxandair II Feannag.

I wasn’t joking when I said he looked like a girl from behind, from his slightly small stature, height, and somewhat effeminate physique, someone could definitely mistake him for a girl. Heck, that feminine-ish face even reinforced it a bit, but luckily for him, his voice is manly enough as any ordinary man here, though kind of shrilly if I have to say.

 

“I see you have found him Alaxandair!” A deep heavy voice came out from Alaxandair’s behind.

 

After hearing that deep heavy voice and him subsequently coming out of the fray, I instantly recognized him, though what I previously imagine was really an underestimation to him.

With a tall stature standing with authority and confidence, he introduced himself to me, Roger de Fleur, Grand Duke of Vin Côte. This medium refined nose, slightly slanted eyes, and thin cream lip man is probably in his 50s, judging from his grey hair and somewhat wrinkly skin.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Lord Protector!” different from Alaxandair’s introduction, his manner of speech and him reaching out his hand for me to shake gave off a business-like vibe and approach. Though it was respectful and polite back in my world, it doesn’t translate well to this world’s etiquette.

 

I learned some of this world's etiquette from the king and one of those is shaking hands or any sort of physical contact is considered rude if it was engaged by the people below your class. On the other hand, it's fine if it was engaged by someone who is above your class, because that means you are being acknowledged as the same level as the above person, but what Grand Duke Roger is doing was nothing but an insult.

Well, in the end, I still shook his hand but with a very firm grip, though the nobles, burghers, clergies, and even the royal family that is seeing this won’t notice, he will notice this as a message.

 

“That’s one enfer of a grip Lord Protector! Has our commander been training you?” Roger enthusiastically asked.

“My friend, Sir Arthur here is the one under the commander’s and his royal highness’ wing, though you too must have heard by now he is under our Margrave’s wing too!” I boasted.

“Well… if he is trained by the best, Sir Arthur could be the best strategist we have, second of course to our Margrave himself!” He stated. “But I still haven’t got your answer Lord Protector!”

“No, is your answer! I’ve had my fair share of sword training back in my world, though... it is quite different from your world’s swordsmanship. If you want to know more, just asked his royal highness on how I operate a sword.” I answered.

“Hmm… well… let’s change the subject now, I am eager on knowing what your plans for the realm are!” As blunt as King Clovis himself said, he really didn’t beat around the bushes.

“Ahh yes, that…. I’ve been meaning to ask too! But as usual, you beat me to it again Roger!” Alaxandair with a playful manner asked too and pointed out.

 

I took a quick deep breath and put my hand on Arthur’s shoulder.

 

“Yeah, yeah, I know what you’re about to say, just don’t go overboard and remember what I told you last night, this is a unique world with its own sets of unique norms and rules!” He then dismissed himself from this tiny circle and walked straight to miss Marie.

“Alright gentlemen, let’s find somewhere to sit!” As I said with a more business-like seriousness in my face and tone.

 

We found a pair of three sits and a round table in the middle of it. After sitting down, there’s a heavy atmosphere building up in this tiny circle, like I was being pressured by two detectives in an interrogation room. Though it was quite the pressure for me, for the both of them it was a whole other tale, Roger sat like the highborn he is, oozing a somewhat menacing aura, even the way he himself sits was so elegant and disciplined, unlike Alaxandair. He was more on the relaxed side and not an ounce of noble aura came out of him.

 

“Well… what is your plan exactly for this kingdom, Lord Protector?” Roger broke the ice.

“To prepare your kingdom for the next attack against the Black Riders of course!” As I said bluntly at him, I looked at his face determinately.

“Next attack? Don’t you mean this attack?” Alaxandair with a confused tone asked.

“Yes, and this attack too, but… there is a saying back in my world, ‘third time’s the charm’!” I took a little breather and continued. “You see… I have researched a little bit of what happened to the first heroes on how they were defeated and all, due to that I made a deal with your king or should I say our king!”

“And what is that deal?” Roger’s interest peaked.

“That I would improve and give this kingdom the knowledge and if can, inventions as well from my world!”

“Ohh yeah, I’ve heard it from his royal highness, a night not blanketed by the dark and the most interesting thing is the ball metal thingy that can penetrate plate armors!” Alaxandair said in an amazed tone.

 

While Alaxandair was dazed in amazement at what I previously said to the prince, Roger as well was in trance while hearing more things that I promised for this kingdom through Alaxandair’s mouth.

 

“So, tell me Lord Protector!” As his trance faded away, he looked back at me. “What will you really do with this much power? Your power after all is on par to the king himself!”

 

And after that brief moment of me laying out what my promises and vision for the foreseeable future are, I went all out on the missions that were hatched by the four of us.

The first plan was obvious, centralization, it’s not easy but if it can be achieved, the other missions will be smooth sailing, I of course elaborated more on how the centralization would be, like making a clear chain of bureaucracy and stripping some of the privileges of the landed nobles.

Alaxandair was really supportive in that matter as he said. “A clear structure and strong crown, where they can give precise orders and can organize things much more neatly by sacrificing some of our privileges, is far more better than some Count or Duke who makes organizing things into an uncoordinated competition! Whether it is for a military or a civil matter!” I was kind of expecting him to say this because he was still young and open to more reformist ideas and I too as well was fully expecting when Roger opposed this idea.

We did dabble around the matter of which privileges are to be revoked and the only thing I can bravely say to him was the privilege to have a standing army.

I don’t know if it was my way of delivering the statement, but Roger displayed a livid emotion when hearing that, Alaxandair on the other hand though was glad and even wanted it. He did say he didn’t want bickering nobles to compete in matters that could have been done earlier especially in times of war.

Seeing the gravity on talks about centralization is beginning to turn hotter and sour, I changed the subject to a social and economic matters.

 

“If it’s the matter of social and economic matters, I proposed for the abolishment of serfdom!” And right there and then, I felt as if I was splashed by cold water in the winter. The problem is… wait, it’s much more shocking considering he’s not any other noble! He’s a goddamn Grand Duke, who is asking for the abolishment of serfdom! And he even said it without the slightest of hesitation or reservation, but then it hits me.

“Let me guess you want to free people of servitude, so they can pay taxes like artisans and merchants?” with a blank and a ‘gotcha’ face, I said to him as bluntly as I could.

“You caught me!” He put both of his hands up jokingly.

 

He… he is starting to make me worry, this is suspiciously a modern take really…

 

“It’s like what my uncle said!” While I was deep in my own thoughts, he then quoted. “'A power that came from an arbitrary social structure is like a ticking time bomb’, though I still do not know what a ‘bomb’ is exactly, I do know what my uncle meant, it has a duration!” he then took a breath and continued. “Money on the other hand, though my uncle did still state it is still as arbitrary as this social structure that we have now, is a far more powerful concept that us humans, Fadas, Subtañs, and other sentient beings out there made and agreed upon!”

 

Ahh… so it’s his uncle….

 

I took a little breath and was thinking how modern his uncle thinking was, though the question of morality in what was quoted is really muddy, I was somewhat glad that at least there is this line of thought.

It was in my plan to abolish serfdom and bring an egalitarian way of thinking for this kingdom at least, but rather punching straight to it when thinking about it twice, I’ll take the more subtle approach. Maybe plant some egalitarian thoughts on the young ones in the Académie and convince one of the Grand Dukes that serfdom’s power has a more viable and a more stable replacement, which is money.

But… I was beaten to it by this 50 something-year-old man.

 

“Your uncle’s… line of thought, is suspiciously like what an intellect from my world would say and think…” I said.

“Ohh… really?” his wrinkly aged face suddenly turned young as he heard my comment towards his uncle. “I mean… you are not wrong Lord Protector, he was… unique if I could say, my father and my other uncles have always seen him as some outcast because of that way of thinking he has, but for me… his very way of thinking was so intriguing and of course logical!” He stated.

 

Ptui!

 

Alaxandair from out of nowhere threw a phantom spit and showed his disgusted face at Roger.

 

“You can’t abolish serfdom, Roger! Because it was decreed by Lux himself for lower people to serve us, the nobles! Who are born to lead them!”

 

Achoo!!

 

I didn’t know why, but I suddenly sneeze after hearing Alaxandair’s statement, maybe it’s because of the bullshit or if this Lux guy exists, he is one piece of shit for enforcing a rigid hierarchy.

 

““Bless you!”” Alaxandair and Roger said in unison with a slight concern showing in their face.

 

I thank their blessings of course where after that Alaxandair continued berating Roger’s uncle. It even heated up into a fiery argument, while I, on the other hand, could only watch the fire burns awkwardly, waiting for them to finish the discussion, until...

 

“Come with me!” Princess Amadela from out of nowhere grabbed my armed and dragged me off from the chair I am sitting in.

“Princes-” my mouth was shut closed by her hands.

“Quiet! Or those two stone heads will notice me!” she scolded me.

 

I was then sort of rescued by her from that fiery debate, it was nice of her to drag me out of there because in that kind of situation I don’t really know what to do.

 

“Again… thanks, Princess!” With a glad sincere face, I said to her.

“No need to thank me…” She… weirdly said with a cold blistering aura to me. “Lord Protector, there is something I want to as-”

 

Her face tensed as if she was about to ask me something heavy, but it was cut short when he arrived.

 

“High Priestess Amadela!” As I heard that voice, I knew that it was probably one of her clergymen, it was the use of ‘High Priestess’ that made it a dead giveaway.

“Archbishop Maurice…” Though her tone was nice and soft, her mannerism and body language screamed annoyance when this Maurice guy appeared.

“Mind introducing me to this… young, handsome fellow you are keeping for yourself!” A slight malicious tone could be heard as if he had found some sort of dirt on the princess.

“This young, handsome fellow is our Lord Protector! Archbishop Maurice!” As Amadela clarified to him, I turned around with a wry smile on my face to greet him.

“Ohh my! Where are my manners…” Maurice then humbled himself by bowing before me. “I am very sorry Lord Protector! I arrived rather late and didn’t have the chance to see the ceremony at full, but worry not, I have already resolute myself as your loyal vassal, Maurice de Collrées, at your service for the second heroes!” He then turned his head back at me, where a slightly off-putting creepy smile was given to me.

 

Ahh... geez… what’s with that creepy smile dude…

1