Chapter 29 : The Académie’s Hall of MacGuffins
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The classroom was rowdy, lots of people moving and preparing to leave it, even me as the stewardship class we just took, has just finished.

I was still on my seat, cleaning up and stacking a couple of my papers and books, while also waving goodbye to the classmates that sat on the same row as I was. After that, the first thing that popped into my mind was the cafeteria, as boy am I hungry, really, really, hungry in fact as I forgot to catch some breakfast back in the morning.

But I managed through, it’s not my first rodeo on skipping breakfast. But still, damn… I could go for a steak.

 

“Arthur, you’re going to the park?” Theo came to me.

“Know your place and call him Lord Svard, peasant!” And Charles de Maignory came as well.

“Hmm…” Theo silently mumble.

“Wait hold on de Maignory! I’m fine and honestly insist on everyone, including you too! To just call me Arthur.” I came to Theo’s aid and he gave the most smuggest look he could conjure to de Maignory. “And actually it’s the Cafeteria Theo, I’m dying for a steak!” I replied.

“Ohh! If you’re going for a steak you should ask the special one, I’ve tried it and it taste like wagyu.”

“Seriously?!!!” I was stunned at what Theo just said. “Then what the hell are we doing here?! Come on!” I then grabbed Theo and was about to be on my way to the cafeteria. “And de Maignory, you want to come? If Theo isn’t bullshitting me, then you’re going to love this steak!”

“It is fine for me to intrude?” He was weirdly sheepish.

“Hey! The more, the merrier!”

“Well… okay then!”

 

After that we three speed walk to the cafeteria, hoping to get in a better queue position, which we did get. We were only three people behind and in a matter of minutes, we were on the spot to order.

There of course I asked for the special steak, two special steak in fact to show de Maignory of the wonders of wagyu. Theo on the other hand ordered duck breast.

With our orders made, we then went to one of the cafeteria’s tables and sat there waiting for our food to be delivered.

Honestly it was kind of funny, as it feels more like a standard dine in restaurant than a cafeteria. Though I’ll give it still is a bit like a cafeteria, as we had to queue and order at a specific point of the place.

 

Eventually, after a couple of minutes our food came, still warm, smelling great as expected, and looking mighty tasty. Theo’s duck breast was weirdly the most appealing one, with the delicious red meat being shown clearly to us all.

But the steak of course will always win, as when I took the knife and made the first cut, the very perfect medium rare look delighted my eyes and soon to be my mouth. I took the silver fork, impaled and grabbed one of the pieces I’ve cut, and laid it on my mouth.

The million dollar question was very close, only a chew away when I’ll know, and… holy fuckin shit… Theo isn’t bullshitting me.

 

My god….

 

I enjoyed every chew, every bite, every mixed juice and sauce that landed in my tongue. It was paradise and de Maignory after seeing my delighted expression followed and joined paradise with me.

 

“Told you.” With a smirk on his face, he said to me.

“Wow… that softness is… out of this world…” de Maignory of course was beyond amazed. “How come this isn’t in the open menu for all?”

“Cause it’s expensive and was actually only reserved for the professors.”

“Wait… so why did they give it to us?” Theo’s statement raises some questions for me.

“Well for me, it’s cause I’m nice to them and had helped them a couple of time, for you and de Maignory? Well… you are one of the second heroes, Art, so it’s not that far-fetched for them to give the best for you and your friends.”

“Hmm…” I kinda like the privilege… but… I don’t want this to get into habit, also wagyu is an annual food.

 

We continued enjoying our food after that, enjoying also the mashed creamy potatoes that came with the steak and the other side dish that complete the iconic steak dinner, like peas and such.

While there also we talked about our next classes, I would still be with de Maignory, as our next class would be martial studies, and Theo would probably join with Eleanna in Familiar class. Other than that… well, we catch up on previous things we had done.

For example, I wanted to know what’s going on with James Heorstan and… his fiancée, Agnes d’Hounville. Weirdly, not much, Heorstan and d’Hounville are still patching things up, figuratively and literally, his face is still swollen like yesterday.

Then there’s the situation with Jill, specifically with Theo as after I revealed to the both of them about each other, they began to talk more like back in high school. Though… the way they speak to each other, feels like seeing two old people reliving their highschool years, well… they did die old.

Also de Maignory brought something quite interesting to us, is that Prince Kristof is looking for knights to be added to his retinue.

 

“Ahh the Albionese Dream, get knighted, learn the art of war in the Académie, then hopefully be seen by the crown. Then either be enlisted to our White Prince’s merry adventuring knights or if lucky, be under our Margrave’s wing to actually do serious jobs.” Theo said somewhat sarcastically. “You’re under Margrave Ramon’s wing right, Arthur?”

“Yeah, though he’s kind of pre-occupied with the whole looming invasion from the south.” I said to Theo.

“True.”

“And also Theo, I would put another end goal to it if you can’t join with either our Prince or our Margrave.”

“Martyn?” He guessed right, but not exactly with him.

“Me! well… yeah still Martyn, he’s the one backing this, but again, me!”

“You’re planning to make your own retinue, Svard?” de Maignory asked.

“Think bigger!”

“An Army?!”

“Too big of an expense for the crown right now! Ehh… more on a commando unit! a special unit of knights made out of the best of the best!” I said chirpily.

“Ohh hell no!” But Theo, quickly objected to it. “How the fuckin hell did Martyn agreed to this?! He should know, actually HE KNOWS that he’s just going to create a secret police, that I KNOW that YOU KNOW that it would just devolve to every single damn secret police ever created!!!”

“Okay firstly, Martyn did say what you just said to me, secondly, I convinced him otherwise as I can prevent the obvious.” I dismissed Theo’s concern.

“HAHAHAHAHA!!!” And… well now his laugh is just plain rude. “What makes you think you can be different Arthur? Can break the cycle?”

“Cause I have the foresight, knowledge, and am the fuckin exception Theo!” I lividly said to him.

“Ohhh! You’re saying you’re different?”

“YEAH!”

“Then can you show me your version of Aronlight?”

“That….” I fell silent, I was caught by the ropes as… damn it… checkmate…

“See! If the fact your uncle still makes you do his cryptic requirements, then you’re no different than us Art!” He… well… other than Miss Marie, Big Bro Kay, Martyn, Eleanna, and Alice, Theo is among them that can humble me.

“…” I stayed silent, awkwardly and embarrassingly while taking in Theo’s critique.

“Wait… you haven’t unlocked Aronlight, Svard?” de Maignory was surprised.

“Yeah… it’s the reason why I’m here in the first place, to fulfil one of uncle Luther’s requirements, the ‘Know Thy Feelings to This World’.”

“Ohh… so… how is it going?”

“Slow, but steady, I’m beginning to form an opinion of this world, of what that opinion is… I rather keep it private.”

“Understood.”

“Thank you, Charles!” I appreciated de Maignory’s self-control. “Ughh… but still though, the pressure of this MacGuffin uncle Luther left… is just… damn… I really want to unlock it.”

“Well at least you HAVE a MacGuffin, us normals here need to carve their own artifact, but then again… MacGuffins are a bit overrated.” Theo stated.

“Nonsense! Wielding an artifact is glamorous you know! After all, wielding it means continuing and becoming a part of the legacy of that artifact!” de Maignory gave a counter-argument. “I for one, would love to wield and continue the memories of the old heroes of past!”

“You do you de Maignory, I prefer to make my own artifact, where my deeds is etched and recorded in it.”

“HA! a peasant’s artifact, the world really is changing.” de Maignory sarcastically said.

“Dude… chill.” Again, I came to Theo’s aid.

“Nah, it’s okay Art, the world IS changing.” Weirdly Theo wasn’t offended, from how warm his smile is, I felt actual happiness from him. “Aside from shit talking me, what artifact exactly would you want to honor, de Maignory?” Theo genuinely asked.

“That would be… hmm… it’s a dream of course among boys and men like me to wield Aronlight! But Svard already claimed that. Géilenderc is another! Wielded by the great knight and companion of the first hero, Maximilian! Kinda sad how it’s just lost to history now. Of course there’s always Tanodur, the Blazing Sword.”

“Ooo! I’ve heard of that, they say Tanodur is more flame than sword!” I said enthusiastically.

“Yes! But sadly, it’s just a legend of old, more older than the Krones, but still young enough if compared to the Feannags.”

“Hmm… other than swords, any other things in mind?”

“Other than swords… Rærinn is one, as I heard it will always land on its foe’s head, sadly again, it’s a legend of old too, and another… would actually be Argedlám!”

“The Silverhand of King Cináed III ‘Silverhand’ Feannag of Tuath…” Theo said in awe while also briefly explain what it is to me from what he said.

“I love the legend that surrounds it, as it was created after his older brother, King Dùghlas I ‘the Black’ Feannag chopped his hand as he was protecting their sister, the Seeress of the North of that time, Ceri Feannag.”

“Wait why?” I asked.

“Power.” De Maignory answered simply. “Dùghlas wanted his son to be heir, but as we know, the Feannag’s tradition demands that the son of the Seeress of the North would be first in line.”

“Woah…”

“Yes… and that silverhand, Argedlám, was made to not only fill the missing parts of Cináed Silverhand, but also-”

“A weapon he promised to us against his older brother, in the name of vengeance.” Someone suddenly cut de Maignory.

 

The one who intruded our private conversation, was none other than Benjamin Charrier. Nothing of mark really stands out of him, except for his knowledge and interest in history and legendary artifacts we just talked about.

 

“You know… I’ve heard credible sources say that the Académie kept and vaulted many, many… artifacts of old heroes, mages, and kings. Argedlám is among them.” Charrier said.

“Seriously?” I was curious.

“Yes Lord Svard! Have you ever wondered about that wall there! About how… unreal it looks.” He pointed at the wall, the weird wall that sat near the entrance of the cafeteria. “Well, that wall might be the entrance to the dungeon below, that keeps all the artifacts of old, and… if we could find a way to pass it… then…”

“Are you suggesting us to go tomb raiding?” Theo asked the thing on top of my head.

“Well, we don’t really need to raid anything, just a sight-seeing of the artifacts that tells many old stories!”

“Hmm… even if your words are true Charrier, there’s a good reason why the Académie store it secretly in its belly.” de Maignory said.

“True, but come now! It’s a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to see history itself! Wouldn’t you take it?”

“He’s right you know!” I agreed with Charrier. “And even if there’s nothing behind that wall, it’s still a way to kill time!” I stood up after that.

“Where are you going?” Theo asked.

“To the wall!”

 

As I stood up and was on my way to the weird wall we just talked about, the three of them followed me not far behind. When we finally arrived there, I implanted my ear to the wall and try to hear any sort of feedback from the other side.

But I didn’t hear anything, only the reverberation of the stone wall itself. So, I knocked a couple of times where… still the same, only the reverberation of the stone.

From that point I would have just let it go, but… the possibility to see artifacts of this world is very appealing. So… I knock the wall a couple of times more harder than before. Still nothing too, I kept getting harder, and harder, and… I heard it.

It was faint and weak, but it was there.

 

“Yep, there’s something behind it!” I confirmed it to them.

“Really!!!” Charrier was excited. “Wow… wow! Alright then! How do we pass this? Is there some kind of spell? Secret keyhole? Or…”

“Nope… just a plain thick wall, I could ask Eleanna to cut a hole for us! But… she’s busy with her spy schtick.”

“How about your new girlfriend?” Theo asked.

“She’s… not my girlfriend Theo… and no, she’s busy too, she’s attending a Fada ceremony.”

“Hmm… well… there is someone I know who could use magic…”

“Who?”

“Jessamy.”

“Your girlfriend?” I smirkly asked.

“NO! Ehh… kind of… it’s complicated.” He went awry like me.

“Haha, alright then, we’ll meet again when the sun falls?”

““When the sun falls!”” Everyone agreed in unison.

 

* * *

 

As per our agreement between us four gentlemen of wonder, we came back to the cafeteria, only minutes away from the sun falling.

There I saw Charrier first, he was enthusiastic, fidgety, and restless. Apparently, he was here half an hour early than me and the others, can’t blame him really, this might turn to a very exciting dungeon crawling adventure.

Not long after too, de Maignory came with enthusiasm in his head like the rest of us. But mostly I know that it’s exciting for him to bond with me, well I can’t complain, he’s a nice and interesting guy, though… really the epitome of made from a certain time-period.

Then after we waited quite a while, waiting for Theo and his girlfriend. They arrive of course, but… Jessamy wasn’t having none of what we were going to do.

 

“Firstly, how fuckin dare you drag Téo to a dangerous dungeon!!” She starts very strong at me. “Secondly! No! I’m not going to jeopardize mine and Theo’s position in the Académie for some dungeon adventure.”

“Jess… it’s not going to hurt our position in the Académie, if we’re careful about this! Right guys?” Theo said.

““Yes!”” We followed Theo’s cue.

“And this being dangerous… ehh…” And… he can’t come up with any excuses, as… well, we don’t quite know what lurks in that dungeon.

“Well then?!” Jessamy still awaits Theo’s excuse.

“Ehh…” But Theo… can’t come up with anything, so I have to step in and smooth this out.

“Yes, it might be dangerous out there Lady Nelins!” As I said that, Jessamy stare piercingly at my eyes with a firm resolve to not indulge us. “But! Well… it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us four, Lady Nelins!”

“You four? Are saying this isn’t just for your ego, Lord Svard?”

“No? NO! Why would it be for my ego?”

“Because I’ve heard enough from Téo of your antics with him in your world! The fake beer pong? The ventilation race? The ammonia incident?!”

“Ehh…” I was lost for words as… “Wait, why the fuck did you tell her about the ammonia incident, Theo?!!!”

“I… I don’t know?! We’re close? We grew up together? I want her to know who I was? I trust her?” Theo made excuses.

“Still not a good excuse THEO! What part of carrying it to your grave, that you don’t understand?!”

“But I did carry it to grave!” Theo… made a good point.

“Ohh yeah… huh… but still! It-”

“OKAY! That is enough.” Jessamy cut me off. “I’ve already made up my mind and not going to help the four of you with this stupid side activity!”

“Jess!” Theo protested.

“Not a word from you! Can’t believe you’re becoming one of them.”

“I’m not!”

“Then what the enfer is this?! Why are you so fixated to go to a dungeon, that might not even store the artifacts of old you talk about!”

“Because it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity Jess! To… might see the Aosí Staff.”

“You… you’re betting your position and might even your life… for the staff that came into your dreams?”

“Yes, cause last night the feeling was more stronger, more… real.”

“…” Jessamy was silent, but her silence was not of disapproval.

 

As the walls behind us has a cut that could fit two or three people, and as I hoped and predicted, there is indeed something inside when we peered into it.

 

“Go, go and have your once-in-a-life-time opportunity! I’ll stay here and keep guard.” Jessamy let go of Theo.

“Thanks Jess!” With a tender smile, Theo thanked Jessamy.

“Just… just be careful, okay!”

“Always!”

 

We then walked in there, with three torches that de Maignory just lit for us, we dive deep to the dungeon below us. Seeking history itself to tell their story face to face.

 

Not much was going on down there, only the darkness, granite floor and walls, and our torches that leads the way. We of course kept a peeled eye, always constantly aware of our dark surroundings, as we don’t quite know what exactly crawls down here.

But so far, none. We haven’t smell rotting corpses, we haven’t hear wailings, screeches, or even crawling critters, hell… it even feels like this dungeon hasn’t been touch yet, feels like this room was so shut tight that it became frozen in time.

Well either way, it was smooth sailing, nothing hassling us nor endangering us.

 

An hour then passed after we entered this dungeon, we went down even further with every stairs we encountered, but still… nothing. Only dust and the granite surroundings, it became kind of boring even.

So, we broke the ice and talk more about the artifacts that might be in this dungeon. Charrier was the first one to spoke up of course, he added more that treasures of old might be in there too, but he wasn’t that optimistic about it, as that would defeat the purpose of the Académie as a preserver and a keeper of old knowledge and that accompanies it.

We continue to talk about the varying artifacts that might be in this dungeon, its legend and stories, as well as magical properties. But none other piqued my interest like with the staff that Theo seeks, for the fact… he dreams of it.

 

“I… I don’t quite know, the Aosí Staff have always been coming into my dreams for a long time. I don’t quite know why, but I know when it started, it was when our village herbalist died.” Theo explains.

“Interesting…” Charrier mumbled. “You do know who once wielded it, right?”

“Gydon the Twister. I’m still horrified that his epithet was literal too.” Theo shudders.

“Yes… those poor sods and their twisted bodies…” Charrier too shudders. “But interestingly, brutal body dysmorphia isn’t his main magic, it’s actually the skies and the winds.”

“Yeah, he plays with the winds, thunder, clouds, rain, and even the sun! Don’t know how, but… I’ve heard tales of him obliterating armies with the sun.”

“So, your departed village herbalist… might he be?” I asked.

“I hope not, I already have a good start with no great names backing me, also it’s just cheap and a bit confusing.”

“Hmm…”

“Yeah, I mea-” Theo suddenly stopped. “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

“Beyond there! Someone is calling us!”

“No one is calling us Theo… are you hearing things?”

“Ehh… I think so… fuckin hell, just what I needed! A fuckin ominous voice that I only can hear… please just let this be schizophrenia!”

 

We then focused back on the journey, keeping a eyes and ears too now to be prepared of some mystical shit that’s going to jump on us.

And it did came in a form of a light, slightly dim, at the end of our destination.

Seeing it, we speed walk towards it and see… that Charrier was right.

 

It was like an archive, though a small one, but still big and wide enough to house a many number of artifacts.

We were all excited, as we went one by one to do the artifacts that was glass sealed. There we saw a somewhat pointer on who the artifacts belong too, but… it wasn’t straight forward, as the thing written above it, feels like a codename for the artifact.

Like one we saw was a scimitar called ‘Unwavering Anger of Bayat’, there’s another, a rectangular shield called ‘Protector of Life’, and another that might actually belonged to the Krones, is a metal crown called ‘The Iron That United and Conquered.’

Other than that… well I didn’t see anything that interest me, for Theo on the other hand, he found the Aosí Staff that has called for him for a long time. I came near him and saw it was called, ‘Bender of the Skies.’

Theo was enthralled, wordless, and eyes locked to the wooden staff with a fadaic design.

 

“Theo?” I tried to bring him to reality.

“…” But he kept silent.

“Theo?” I tried again.

“…” Still silence.

“Yoo Theo!” This time I tapped him and raised my voice.

“…” But still… silence which… became eery and he suddenly broke it by smashing the glass case that encased the Aosí Staff.

“DUDE WHAT THE FUCK?!!” I yelled at him.

“…” And again… silence as he only focused on the staff.

 

I took a sign for use and immediately went into action as I grabbed the staff and threw it on the ground, then after that proceeded to slap Theo back to reality.

 

“Oww… what happen?” Theo came to his senses.

“You… that staff did something to you.” I said to him

“It did?”

“Yeah… it feels like you were co-”

“Communicating with him.” My sentences was cut off, but not by the others, it was… the headmaster of the Académie! “Lord Svard, Sir Téodor of Stratford, Lord de Maignory, and Lord Charrier, why are you here? And be honest please, I do not tolerate dishonesty.”

“We… came for sightseeing, headmaster…” Charrier answered.

“Sightseeing? Then explain why the staff that bends the skies is on the ground?” He intimidatingly asked us.

“I threw it! I was trying to bring Theo back to his senses!” I spoke up.

“Hmm… that staff talked to you, didn’t it? Peasant?”

“Yes… it asked me to… make a… eternal contract?” Theo was aghast as he looked back at the staff.

“Interesting… pick that up again, Téodor! Talk to it.”

“Ehh… okay…” Didn’t want to short his fuse, Theo immediately went to the staff and picked up where… he went back to the state he was before.

 

We froze there, couldn’t anything but only watch Theo talking? To the staff? And… the headmaster observing him with quite the intrigued face.

 

“No… no fuckin way, no uh, no… OHHH C’MON!!!!!” Theo suddenly went livid. “Seriously?! He was… and he chose me because I made katsu for him? SERIOUSLY?!!!”

“What’s going on Theo?” I was super confused at his lividness.

“This motherfuckin sentient artifact is choosing me to be his next wielder! And you know what’s more fuckin infuriating?!!”

“Your… village herbalist is-”

“MY VILLAGE HERBALIST WAS FUCKIN GYDON THE TWISTER!!!!” He yelled. “The twister apparently left his staff here because he wants to die peacefully, while also finding a successor for his staff… ughh christ… it’s even more mind boggling as he chose me because I made a goddamn simple chicken katsu for him! A DAY BEFORE HIS DEATH EVEN!!!”

“Well… congratulation Téodor! You’re continuing Gydon’s legacy!” de Maignory, weirdly was supportive.

“Except I don’t want to! I want to carve my own legacy, mine and only mine! I don’t want to be someone’s successor!” I get this part of him. “So, the answer is no!”

“Ohh… but I’m afraid you have no say in this Téodor of Stratford!” The headmaster said. “As you see… Gydon was once my mother’s apprentice, and I was a very close friend to him as him was to me. He made me promise one thing before his death, was that for you to wield his staff.”

“I’m not going to!”

“Alright… fine then! Leave the staff, then you forfeit your place here in the Académie!”

“Hey that’s not fair!” Hearing this I automatically backed up Theo.

“Indeed Lord Svard, but he is a peasant of no renown, as the only real reason why he was accepted here in the first place because my old friend the twister, saw a potential and fiery passion to make a name.”

“No… you’re saying…” Theo said in disbelief.

“Yes, though your score was the top, the best I have seen even, you are still a peasant.”

“…” Theo went silent, full-on disbelief, but… not hopeless. “If I say yes to this contract, to this successorship, I won’t be subjected to anything right?”

“No, Gydon explicitly said to me that after you have his staff, you would resume back your studies and activities like normal, the Académie won’t do anything to you.” He said. “Though…”

“And… of course, there’s always a catch!”

“You would be designated as ‘Bender of the Skies’, like the rest of the exceptional, dangerous, unique, and anomalies that roam Erisgi.”

“Branded as a freak… great…”

“So, is that a yes?”

“Ughh… fuck it, why not.”

“You sure about this Theo?” I was concerned over Theo’s withdrawal.

“What other choice do I have?”

“Martyn could help you, you know!”

“And be indebted to him? You serious Art? Did you forget the White Rule?” He reminded me… of the rule that is both justified and unjustified.

“Never… be indebted to Martyn, if you want to have a normal day.”

“And he’s a damn ruler now! I don’t trust single bit of what he’ll do to the favour I give to him.”

“But still… you said yourself, you want to make a name for yourself without any stools!”

“Well, that was my idiotic teenage mind coming back, I grew up remember! And I almost forgot that nothing in this world can be do alone… huh…” He took a huge sigh of disappointment.

 

And with that resolve, Theo caved and agree to be Gydon’s successor as he made the contract right there and then, with the headmaster as the witness and guide.

 

* * *

 

We walked back with the headmaster in front us, guiding us. The mood was mixed, de Maignory and Charrier was overjoyed and happy, as they have walked and see history itself.

Theo on the other hand was in a bitter mood, angry slightly, but sad that his ideals is but ideals.

 

“Hey cheer up! Having a MacGuffin is still cool you know!” I tried to bring his mood up.

“Yeah… I guess…” He was still down.

“Well one thing for sure, you actually have a MacGuffin that works!”

“Yeah… I guess so!” Typical… his frown turned as he saw that he was one step ahead of me.

“And another thing! Welcome to the club buddy! This club where people are going to expect a lot of fuckin things, because we inherit something huge!”

“Ughh….” And, hahaha, I got to annoy him.

0