11
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That sword is broken and no one has been able to forge it yet, that's why I chained the hilt, that's what I usually use to kill monsters." Rygar chimed in, just to start a conversation, while his body curled up against the makeshift bonfire that Sancho made.

He managed to outsmart his torn backpack, packed some of their belongings before following Rygar to Dragonspine. Including what he managed to save were several torches, which are now being used as firewood. The evening had come and the two of them decided to spend the night in the belly of this cave.

The guide spontaneously turned to one of Rygar's swords that were leaning on the cave wall, side by side with another sword he often used and the bow he got from the Bear Cliff Altar.

"So the sword you used to use, only to finish off humans?" asked Sancho.

"Yup. Humans, Dwarves, Elves, basically those who claim to be civilized intelligent beings, are often monsters far more terrifying than anything I've ever fought.” Rygar smiled mischievously.

His body temperature had started to recover, the few bites of the remaining beef jerky made him full now. He is no longer used to eating a lot, his body can recover which is quite reliable as long as he is given enough rest, eating is like a formality for him.

“Like those Jaegers huh, hunting monsters?”

"Hehe. Unfortunately, I don't wear armor as cool as theirs, or ride a Gryphon. And the monsters I face, usually the ones that get in my way, not because I'm paid to hunt them.” Rygar's mild laughter bounced off the cave walls.

"And about your quest to Mercu Andall, you said to challenge a god didn't you, what did you mean, I don't understand?" asked Sancho.

"You know about the temple at Mercu Andall, don't you?" Rygar asked back.

"Of course. In the past the place was easy to reach, several times I took people on pilgrimages there, that's why I knew this alternative route. But no one ever managed to get into it, so the pilgrims only prayed in the courtyard.”

“Bahamut, the Eidolon, resides in that temple, Sol Sanctum is its true name. The Palace of the Sorrow of the Eternal Flame." Rygar said as he pressed his knees in his arms.

"No wonder he was so angry because never before had lightning hit the top of Hrothgarr in a row to cause an avalanche. Well, at the very least, that means I'm not the only one cursed by the gods on this journey."

The two of them chuckled, loosely and freely, including laughing at how back and forth they had almost died all day. Surprisingly, now they can get rid of the pounding of fear that previously haunted and laughed at it. Rygar thought happiness is for those who can laugh at themselves because they will never cease to be entertained.

"Besides, let alone a god, if I hear someone intending to intrude on my house I will throw horse dung at him before entering the village gate if necessary." Sancho continued. Rygar nodded in agreement and pointed.

“Still, I'm curious, Rygar. Why would a Magi knight like you come all the way here looking for trouble?” Sancho asked again.

"Wait, there's something I need to straighten out," Rygar interrupted. “I'm not a Magi knight, although I can wield a sword and master magic. I am no noble, nor a blue-blooded royalty, I am even just the son of a village blacksmith in Eos.”

"Okay."

"Then. Yes, I came here to defeat a minor god, to kill an ancient god, to save someone.”

Sancho could see, Rygar tightly gripped the handkerchief he used to wipe the blood from the wound on his face when he said that.

“That someone must be dearest to you,” Sancho spoke his mind.

"She is everything," Rygar answered with a bright smile.

The guide nodded in understanding that, naturally, Rygar was just another young teenager. And not infrequently, a simple reason triggers a thing so grandeur.

Dawn came as if in a hurry, Rygar opened his eyes with a body that felt stiff, but also much better, even though the scars on his face were still clear. Sancho was still snoring soundly by the smoldering bonfire.

He decided to venture to the other side of the cave, thinking he needed to map out what kind of topography awaited him while relaxing his stiff muscles by walking around.

Cautiously he stepped past the body preserved by the coldness of Hrothgarr's peak as he approached the mouth of the exit, a young man who was probably his age when he died. Still in full clothes that are typical of the residents of Hauger and its surroundings.

Out of the mouth of the cave, in front of him, stretched a natural bridge of rocks that only one person could pass. Thickened by a mound of snow, it runs for about 100 meters through the gap between the two cliffs.

Rygar was sure that the sun should have started to climb the horizon, it's just that the clouds that had been present since yesterday afternoon were still hanging, and seemed far from being about to disappear.

“Princi…pium…principium…finis….” Rygar hummed softly as he sat back down beside the coals. 

Busy putting on his two gauntlets he'd taken off last night, tightening the reindeer leather straps. He also tightened the strap of his sleeveless leather armor at that time, by first tightening the Mythril chain mail behind it into the depths of the upholstery.

“Princi…pium…principium…finish….venit…!”

The two swords were back hanging from their backs, as usual, side by side with each other. Rygar pulled out his dagger which was shaped like a crescent moon, carefully examining the edges of his eyes after being forced to chop ice yesterday afternoon.

“Espergis….cimini….phew!” Rygar sighed, then got up and sheathed his dagger in his belt. Lastly, he grabbed the Agnikai lying on the floor of the cave, the willow bow he had obtained yesterday.

“Currite per hunc mundum sine...”

Rygar stretched out his arms and pulled his steel bowstring. Agnikai responds by refracting the fiery red color along the strings, as well as in the ornate lines.

“Memoria ulla mortuorum…”

He smiled with satisfaction, then lowered his head and laughed softly to himself, letting go of the strings. “Usque ad diem quo Mors vobis basium de…” Rygar draped Agnikai on his shoulders, side by side with his two swords.

“Quod fato vestro liberet vossss…!”

He picked up a white handkerchief full of red spots from the cave floor. "You're bound to laugh out loud when you hear me sing like this," he said, tucking his handkerchief into his pocket.

"At least she must have given points for just trying." Sancho, who had been awake since earlier commented. "But the song doesn't sound like a romantic song."

"Haha. Because it's not, this is a song for the soldiers who marched to deathly for his land." Rygar turned around, stepped closer to Sancho. “I heard about it at an Opera staged by a troupe of artists from Galbadea in Gransis. The composer is a genius.”

“Seems to describe the current you are, correct?” Sancho got up, and Rygar extended his handshake.

"You're coming back, aren't you?" asked Sancho as he accepted the firm handshake. Rygar nodded firmly. "I was determined to escort you, but after thinking about it all night, I think I'll be more of a burden than a help, especially if you intend to challenge the Eidolon at Mercu Andall."

"Thanks, my friend. I hope life will be more generous to you in the future. A new leaf awaits when you come home. Give my regards to Ina."

Sancho hugged Rygar tightly, the young man smiled one last time before moving, he let him go until Rygar's tall shadow disappeared at the other end of the cave, and that was the last time Sancho saw Rygar in person. By the now extinguished bonfire, there was a tiny leather pouch filled with gold coins.

1