BOOK 2: CHAPTER 6
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By nightfall, the rain started once more.

Nala closed her eyes at the sound of the silk vails falling into place.

It was sometimes painful having a lay with Idsel in his second stage due to size issues, but Nala never complained. Today, she'd welcome that ache compared to the one in her back. She had only made the mistake of trying to run once before the whip caught her in the throat. After that she'd waited until it had ended.

Idsel would no doubt smell the blood but maybe he wouldn't comment because apparently, if Nala didn't wash daily, her stage-three body would produce a stench.

Each second that Idsel neared, letting the moths out from the nest like he often did, Nala's anticipation grew. She didn't even check to make sure the king was in stage-two before she grabbed the bulky body close.

The feel of the soft flesh against her own took Nala aback.

"Indel?"

Hands pressed down on the moss below them, Indel chuckled. "Na'am, why do you call me so? Am I no longer your Mana?"

Nala's chest felt hollow, she felt empty. Rather than become slick which was ideal for joining, her skin dried as upset betrayed her.

When Nala tried to respond, all that came was a sharp puff of air. She'd seen Earthers sneeze often, but she'd never contracted anything herself.

The sneeze came again and again until Nala hurried to whisper, "Put it in. Do not argue. Just please come to me." A rustle from one of the fourteen bodyguards which slept against the wall stole Nala's further plea. There had been only two starting out. Sessel then insisted on seven. Each one stole Nala's drive to comply whenever Indel begged her to pleasure herself and let him see.

Today she was relieved when her Leveler King merely shed the robe and readied himself.

"Na'am, you don't look to be receiving of me."

"I want you, Mana. I speak the truth," Nala insisted.

It was a tight fit and Indel needed to rub his hands along his own body for more of the secretion which he smeared along Nala's slit. Eventually the tip did pop in, and when Indel bucked, his extending member filling with each second, Nala felt at peace.

"It's too raw, Na'am. I can hardly move," Indel complained.

It was appropriate because Nala couldn't move at all. She couldn't respond when their foreheads met. She couldn't reply when Indel took a well-savored lunge. And she couldn't answer as all drive faded from her and she sneezed again.

In time Indel stopped.

Nala closed her eyes.

"What have I done now?" Indel asked. "That you'd go so still when I'm bowing my back for your pleasure. What have I done now to deserve this disdain?"

Having no steady motion, Nala returned her focus to her back yet again. She worried she might retch right where they slept.

With what little energy she had left, Nala held Indel's waist, urging him away. The member shrunk down a moment before Indel was able to withdraw.

"Do you know what I risk to take this form for you almost daily? You stubbornly cling to this third stage and I allow it. Now this? This is the last time you fall silent under me. Do you hear? Speak! Tell me what I've done now."

Nala's eyes hadn't been as good since she'd taken on the third stage, but that wasn't why she couldn't focus on Indel now. The aching of her wounds came back, but even more so, her inability to speak of them. And what would she say? She'd selfishly been responsible for the poor Leveler numbers and bitter females, rightly so, longed to render her limb from limb? Now with this injury, the sin had been paid. Perhaps she didn't have to pay more.

A growl in the back of his throat, Indel said, "Curse you and your miserable temperament! Lie alone."

Though Nala didn't see in what condition her king left, she did hear several bodyguards stir and give chase. For Nala, however, she only turned her head to stare out at the single window in the entire room, longing to jump out of it.

***

This is foolish. Nala told herself this. She told herself those words at a constant. Night had come and almost gone before she found the strength to stand. Sitting up was a chore, the pain stealing her power to rise.

But she had to rise up. Indel.... It was one thing to lose the favor of others, but not his. She could stand everyone's disdain, she knew, but not that of the king—her king.

The robes from earlier in the day rested crumpled up on the floor. Nala no longer felt pride wearing them. A whip to the throat reminded her of her place. Still, there was no sense in causing trouble, so she resolved to keep her pride.

It was paid—her hubris was paid to the females she'd wronged. Now that it no longer hung over her, she could perhaps roam safely.

After securing the robe tight, she pulled the hanging leaves aside, determined to go in search of the Leveler King.

She didn't get far.

Without a robe, Indel sat in the tunnel before the entrance to his resting area, sleeping.

The sight of him stunned her. On either side, one bodyguard slumbered curled up.

Nala's hearts broke. He hadn't left. Despite having stomped away. He...he hadn't found another more amenable female to sate him. He'd...stayed. Sleeping outside his resting area like some common Leveler.

Nala looked him over, debating what to do—what to say to him. She cared less about disturbing his restful state and more so about Sessel catching wind of this.

No. Sessel didn't like Nala all that well. Nala's food was often mangled, her robes prepared slowly. But that was only because Sessel feared for them.

Indel often sang Sessel's praises. He was so proud of his second mother.

Nala had to find a way to appear more agreeable.

A deeper sense of regret fueled her decision to urge Indel to perhaps stand and return to the nest. Nala didn't possess the power of persuasion. She often reminded herself that being a hermit for so many cycles had...changed her—she was poor with assessing others. Moreover, as a Summoner, to argue wasn't her way.

But Summoner's did communicate. Nala found that a challenge. This was the time for diplomacy. If she hadn't gone so silent after their first argument, Indel might have never known his armor had cut into Nala's skin when he grabbed her arm.

She had allowed their affection two nights later but stopped part way. The shock of it rocked Indel to the core. He'd known why—he'd suspected—and he'd apologized. He was rather good at understanding her, sometimes far better than she understood herself.

But today Indel hadn't understood what the matter was. He couldn't have known. And this was unfair to him.

The Summoner Queen was in the roost. Nala puzzled over the meager number of refugees. That meant official business. Indel had come out and said he wanted to get more Summoners into the city. He insisted it was to help with peace, but Nala knew it was also for her. Indel often grumbled she'd become accustomed to this life in the presence of her own kind.

The Summoner Queen's arrival, however, loomed something far more terrible, though she couldn't readily say what.

But tonight, Nala owed Indel an apology.

"Mana?"

Fear fueled Nala's footsteps as she hurried down the path to kneel before him.

"Mana?" in a soft voice, Nala called, feeling haggard under the countless fluttering wings of the moths. "Please return. I need you."

The Leveler King, the most sensitive to danger and distress, roused. At the sight of her, he held her face in both hands, fearful.

"Na'am. What is it, Na'am? What is the matter?" Indel asked then embraced her. "What is the matter?"

"Come," Nala took him by the hands and tugged him back towards their nest.

The exhausted king managed to keep his eyes open as he watched her. "You will not undress?"

Nala nestled close. When he tried to embrace her, she held his hand and guided it between them, making sure he couldn't stroke her back, as was his habit.

***

In time Nala came to know what the Summoner Queen's presence meant. No one really needed to say it directly. Sessel's constant smug grin all but confirmed it.

Nala wasn't sure what to make of her and Indel dining alone before the appointed night.

"When fervent mating took you, you'd spend weeks returning to stage-one. Will it happen this time as well?"

Indel picked at the food with his claws, a firm frown in place. "This food always tasted better at the other stages," he whined. In time he shook his head, his black hair boxing from side to side. "And I do not know. We will have to see."

"You've still so strong," Nala observed. "I thought you were too young to select a new king."

Taking great interest in his meal, Indel propped his elbow on his knee and peered at her.

"Could you make the next meal? As she and I will be in this stage for the week, at the very least we should have good food."

Nala twitched. Her skin burned and she spasmed again.

"If that's what you'd like," she answered.

"We should have better food." Indel sat up again. "Tonight, we will start but tomorrow it's best to have a good meal."

Another sharp twitch of Nala's arms caught her off guard but her concern was elsewhere. "How is she?"

"Oh, she's lovely! We fit well. For that I am thrilled because it means this will go on rather long. It's been ages since I've been someone's first."

A hiccup noise escaped Nala's lips next.

"And her body is very curvy and beautiful, too. You'll see."

Giving off a nod, Nala said, "You look thrilled."

"It's not every day this chance comes along."

"But, Mana," Nala began. She wasn't sure why she'd felt some resistance, but she did. "Why must it go on so long?"

"Sessel reminded me that the first batch of a new breed is often unfruitful. Tradition dictates we select from the third in order to ensure a strong line. So it must go on for a while."

Nala nodded again. "I understand." She got to her feet and Indel joined her.

"Are you leaving so soon?" Indel asked.

"Yes," Nala affirmed. "I know you do not wish to spoil yourself for the night and I would rather rest early."

"You've been acting strangely for days," Indel said. "I know you long for your farm but you will grow accustomed to the city in time. Of that I am sure."

Nala nodded. "I'm sure, too."

A commotion spilled into the meeting room and a stunning Queen came along with it. Black eyes narrowed into enchanting slits, body full and wavy. Flawless. And why would she be otherwise? A Leveler king was a perfect warrior. A Summoner queen, the perfect seductress.

Nala's spirits sank.

"Leveler King, I am ready. The anticipation is making me drip, too."

Indel stood, shedding his robe as he did.

He caught her when she stumbled into his embrace. She took note of Nala and tilted her head this way and that, confused.

"Summoner, why do you linger?"

Indel took her by the waist and led her to Nala. "This is my favored. I hope you will be understanding of her."

Her eyes took Nala in. She did an unexpected thing after that, safely nestled in Indel's hold, she looked up at him and asked, "Why is she favored?"

The king returned her gaze, stunned.

His confusion prompted her mercy. "I only mean, what is her talent—what does she do? Is she skilled at fights or hunting? What could a Summoner offer to a fierce Leveler King to catch his interest?"

Nala expected no answer, but Indel surprised her. "My favored is lovely."

Curiosity piqued, the queen pressed herself to him, hands tucked between hers and Indel's smooth bodies.

"How?"

Nala flinched.

The queen reached behind Indel and gathered up his tail.

The act was arousing enough to stir a response from Indel who laughed.

"Lady, we haven't begun."

"It's just a reminder of the lovely things we leave behind, isn't it?" she said. She preened, taking great interest in him. "And you react so well."

When she approached Nala and tried to look behind her, even Indel called out, "Come! That is too much."

She let out a laugh when she grabbed Nala's robe, despite Nala's rapid movements to avoid her.

"So it's true," she said, arms folded. "You are common." The queen wore a look of satisfaction when she turned to Indel. "Best you get one with a tail. I have many who would suit you better. Should I bring one in the morning?"

Nala felt so much shame she was nearly numb. Indel, however, stared at the queen wide-eyed, breathing ragged. Small bumps formed and faded along his arms.

"How dare you? You lifted her tail? You lifted the tail of an adult as if she were nothing more than an infant!"

Citel, the queen, calmed out of her guarded posture. "It is only a common Summoner." She waited for him to answer but in time, she took on a challenging stance, claws bare. "Are you suggesting that I remain in her presence even now?"

The glare in Indel's eyes was frightening. Nala feared he might transform and take off the queen's head. Then she remembered that the process wasn't as simple with returning to the first stage.

Indel grabbed Nala by the arm and walked past the queen. "Lie alone."

Citel turned to watch his retreat. "You will not disrespect me as such."

But Indel didn't look back.

Nala worried about the care Indel took with her. "Mana, you cannot walk away," she whispered. "That is a queen—a Summoner Queen."

Wordlessly, Indel marched on.

He intended to risk it—risk an unforgivable offense against the entire Summoner race.

An insult Sessel'd take retribution for—take retribution from Nala for.

"Daga! Daga, stop."

Though Indel's grip suggested he wouldn't. He obeyed, however, to Nala's shock.

"Daga. This is my folly. I take responsibility." Once Sessel stood before them, she held up both hands, soothing the king. "I am to blame. I did not prepare her better. But do not leave this way. Take some time to calm. And as you do...." Her gaze settled on Nala as she entreated, "Leave your Summoner with the queen so that they can become properly acquainted."

2