BOOK 2: CHAPTER 7
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nala covered her mouth, but not soon enough. Indel stared down at her, surprised. That noise. That sound resembled that of someone injured. It was a cry, a sudden wail of panic.

The Summoner cast one weary glance at Sessel then twisted free from Indel with so much composure he nearly believed her.

"I—I'd love to tarry with the queen a bit longer, Mana."

Indel observed her then glanced at Sessel to see the helpful smile.

Finally, Indel tested his theory. He nodded in agreement. "Very well."

Nala's entire posture drooped. The woeful expression creased into her face resembled that of a vera fox about to be slaughtered.

"Thank you, Mana," Nala breathed out and walked on.

Indel watched her go. Sessel did as well.

Finally, Sessel smiled and said, "In the morrors, Daga."

When the aging Leveler finally turned to leave, Indel's annoyance compounded into hate. He marched after them, second claw bare, unsure of what he'd do.

The scene unfolding before him stole some of his power.

Nala sat at the Summoner Queen's side, eyes cast low, as the queen smoothed out Nala hair.

"Come. We will drink and become friends," Citel insisted.

The guarded posture Nala wore wasn't entirely unlike her, but it was distressing.

Sessel saw Indel's return and stood in protest. "Daga. You mustn't be here—"

Indel raised his left hand to silence her. Nala picked her head up. The relief that flooded through her was unreal.

Citel was equally pleased to see him. "My lord, you've returned. Will you join—?"

"No. Please carry on."

Eventually, Indel sat with his back against the wall, feet crossed at the ankle claws, observing them.

Sessel left then returned with Nala's favorite meal. And although the surly Summoner acknowledged no one, Sessel sung her praises.

"And she's the only one who could convince him to bring sloths into the roost, despite the stench. I suppose she and they have something in common."

There was hearty laughter all around. Nala shrunk down but Indel failed to understand why. Here, Sessel was preening about her. Surely she could appreciate the aging Leveler's efforts.

Sessel talked non-stop, apologizing again and again for Indel's stage three state.

They returned to eating, however, much to the delight of the Summoner Queen.

Sitting on the floor, in a semi-circle away from Indel, they dined on the second meal. Indel, feeling no discomfort when he sat on the floor in his first stage, now, due to his stage-three body, found the stone below rather rough.

Although he enjoyed Nala's company, he decided he would be firmer in forcing the Summoner to take on a lower—safer—stage. The madness had to stop.

Especially now as Indel sat, the king in his third stage, in the presence of the Summoner Queen and her people who were all dressed tastefully in robes, in their second.

Sessel, too humiliated to even look the queen in the eye all night, worked hard with the needed preparations.

Indel hadn't met eyes with Nala for some time. He put his hand on the spot by his right often, waiting for Nala to lick her wounds and come; it was more than permissible for her to sit beside him now with the main eating had finished. Two days without physical contact was unlike her but Indel didn't dare invite her now on his own. Not in front of his guests who treated her so well.

"Is there someone missing?" The Summoner Queen asked, brushing her long silver hair back. "My king, you caress the spot at your side often."

Before Indel could answer, Sessel interjected as she circled the hollow.

"Yes. The king is weary but won't retire without his preferred bedmate. She's often in a sour mood so do not mind tonight. In fact, feel free to take her with you when you depart," Sessel teased.

A roar of chuckles erupted but Indel didn't laugh. His appearance concerned him. He hadn't expected to breed a king so soon. Even before the wars he was instructed to select one but refused, confident he would survive any struggle. And he could survive in his fighter's stage.

He hadn't decided on anyone worthy but now, the prospect of breeding with a Summoner Queen was welcomed. With all that in mind, he puzzled over why he'd risked putting that in jeopardy. Mere hours later, the blinding rage he'd fallen under at Nala's treatment had vanished. At this moment, he felt foolish. His seed, mixed with a strong mate, would ensure strong Levelers but a Leveler King with Summoner kin could mean a safe return to the old ways.

What had he been thinking?

No. Taking up root with Nala wasn't a viable option. He would have to seek her out in the morning. He could leave her here with the queen before resting.

As if reading his mind, Sessel announced, "You should rest here as well, my lord." She gestured for three bulky bodyguards to follow once she got to her feet. "I do not require my spot."

Mouth set to refuse, Indel made the mistake of glancing at his Summoner. Nala trembled.

Curse this Summoner and her Earther characteristics. Did she miss him? Was this why she acted so strangely?

Indel feared appearing weak. When he stood, Nala shot to her feet as well. Citel was slower to stand. Tradition dictated the females acquainted themselves.

The best course of action was to leave them to it. So Indel could not explain why he approached and took Sessel's place by Nala's side.

His Summoner leaned into him. As foolish and quivering as a freshly plucked lof-fowl.

Everything in Indel said to cast her off and remain formal but instead, he wrapped his arms around her.

Citel leaned away to regard them. A moment later, she smiled. "You are a good fit, I see."

They dined in silence, that is to say, Indel didn't hear much of what the queen's official kept saying. Instead, he listened to the fervent thumping of his Summoner's hearts. Nala surprised him; she slept.

It carried on that way until the queen finally asked, "Would it be so bold if we'd be allowed a moment in one another's company tonight despite your preferred's slumber? You look rather distressed. I have a gift if you'd permit me to share it."

She clapped her hands and a pair of Summoners from her crowd scurried off. When they returned, Indel was stunned to see two tall glass bottles put before him.

"The finest nectar around. Now with the Earthers gone, you need not worry. We Summoners are more than capable of producing it. We can cull it and give out far more than the Earthers ever did. I'm very excited to share this beautiful prospect with you."

Frozen in time, Indel stared at those bottles. He was firm yet polite when he refused but watched with half disgust and fascination when the Summoner Queen drank down two glasses with the greatest of ease.

***

That night, rather than take his leave, Indel slept crouched up with the other Levelers, Nala nestled in his hold. He should have given this treatment to the queen and was sure the next day, the reckoning would come.

To his surprise, Citel apologized in the morning. "Oh. I'd fallen asleep without joining you directly, my lord."

Indel forced a smile.

Humbling herself into a bow, she continued, "And Sessel explained it all to me. I had not realized the disrespect I showed your favored."

Indel watched Citel's movement with caution but calmed when she took Nala by the hand and said, "Do forgive me."

It wasn't often that Nala seemed flattered. Today she hung her head to hide her discomfort.

For Indel, it was the least Citel could do. Now when he looked at the queen, he could see her beauty rather than allow his vision to be clouded by bitterness.

Citel took her seat across from Indel in their dining circle that night.

The same ritual necessary before breeding for the purpose of a king was equal to that of a king's first mating.

Though it had been some cycles, Indel still remembered the custom of presenting the queen with her meal in the center of the circle. She carried his own also.

Twitch after twitch from Nala drew Indel's focus but he carried on.

Indel sat, his legs crossed at the ankle claws, while Citel knelt before him, offering a beautifully painted gourd filled with traditional grub the likes of which he'd never seen.

When she held a black milk-leaf to him, he accepted it and took her by the waist.

The berries in the gourd were meant for her, and he was careful as he lowered them into her palm one at a time.

He'd been stiff the first time he'd performed this ceremony, too worried about making a mistake.

This time he felt at ease. It was fun to hold someone close and know that she could fit with ease—that they'd know how. A Summoner Queen, like a Leveler King, was the most breedable. Even now, her body dripped for the secretions. The robe she wore draped her shoulders well, cover both rows of breasts but he could make all four out under the fabric. Her accessible body alone made his own react with anticipation.

Nala's twitch concerned Indel. It was a very strange action. Other than Earthers, he couldn't remember seeing any of his kind react that way.

Earthers took ill rather easily and would sneeze, or shake. He made a note to have someone look on Nala later on.

Citel rose on her long legs, offering a hand to him. When Indel took it, he did so with the intent of making Nala proud of her king's well-versed dance.

Sessel made the first click, then another in their company. It became a chorus in a matter of minutes, some females humming in unison with it.

Bodies pressed together, hands in each other's hair, Indel swayed.

The sharp intakes of breath from Nala had stopped and Indel, eager to see Nala's proud smile, looked back to find the space empty.

He was so startled that he nearly stopped. Completing the ritual was a must, however, so he continued.

Sessel stood, a small, smile in place as she bowed. She'd no doubt see to Nala later. Indel wanted to make sure of it, but rather than risk interrupting the dance he'd already initiated, he continued.

It wasn't as much fun after that. Finally, he took hold of her tail. She returned the gesture and the humming died down.

One by one, the Levelers and Summoners in attendance stood and turned with their backs to them.

Indel glanced to Nala's vacant seat again, his gut burning with worry. He wasn't sure why the prospect of mating without Nala's presence troubled him this much, but it did.

No matter, he would commence with the mating and see to Nala later on.

As their swaying bodies calmed, Indel fell to his knees and sat back.

Thoughts of Nala plagued him with worry.

The Summoner Queen spread out her robe and laid on her back, leaving him stunned.

Other than Nala, Indel had never encountered anyone wishing to mate face-to-face. Thoughts of the nectar she'd brought, the way she knew of Nala's tail, and now this Earther way of mating put him in poor spirits.

Rather than complain, he decided to make the best of it.

He rubbed his hips against hers, but it was to no avail, his skin failed to secrete, and his member wouldn't react.

Having never been faced with something such as this, Indel continued with his efforts until he tired.

"I cannot. Sessel, I cannot," Indel lamented, staring ahead.

In time, Sessel, still with her back to him as well as the others, turned to look at them.

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying I cannot," Indel said again. "I cannot mate. My body will not react."

2