BOOK 2: CHAPTER 8
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All but too happy to be away from the Queen, Indel paced back and forth as an elder saw to Nala whose body twisted and writhed as she sneezed.

Running a gilmont branch along Nala's thrashing body, the doctor chanted.

His efforts proved fruitless.

Indel growled. "Leave us, you idiots!"

The nest emptied but Sessel remained.

Sessel did something unexpected, she approached the bed of moss, took Nala's right hand in hers, and whispered something.

Indel watched with relief when Nala's body calmed, each twitching muscle seeming to melt of all tension.

"What have you done, Sessel? Is she ill? Are we both ill?" Indel asked.

"Come here, my lord," Sessel said, standing. "All will be well if you embrace. Of that I'm very sure."

Indel felt unsteady as he approached the moss. Still dressed in nothing but his mating robes, Indel eased himself closer to Nala. The Summoner turned to put her face against Indel's neck.

Nala rarely showed weakness. Today it occurred to Indel just how much he depended on his Summoner's inner strength in all things.

Indel's own tail twitched; he didn't excuse it. He was pleased to see Nala so calm. The ardent body was a comfort. Without thinking, Indel reached around for Nala's stubble tail and tugged on it. At this, Indel could react. The Summoner's weak claws digging into his back told him Nala was all right.

"This is the consequence of spoiling the favored," Sessel said, remaining in the shadows.

"I do not spoil her," Indel replied.

"Strict tradition dictates that she returns to the first stage and remains by your side quietly until you have need for her again after the mating spell. Each time you complete a cycle, Daga, you lessen your years. All of us are born with a set amount of cycles. You, too have a set amount, yet you course through them again and again carelessly for this wretch."

Running his hands up and down Nala's body led to an unpleasant discovery. The grooves on Nala's back weren't ones Indel was familiar with. He could only imagine that someone had taken a whip to her. No one but Sessel would dare injure the king's favored.

"For her to remain in this third stage constantly is vulgar. It's sending people to panic as they see their king shifting back and forth. Unrest and worry will plague us if we do not return to the proper traditions."

Gathering Nala close to him, Indel asked, "Is she ill?"

"She is not ill, and neither are you. Your mother suffered the same sneezing fits when your father had to make you. As her pods were too weak to bring forth a king, he had to seek out a stronger mate. The seizures lasted for day until a king was selected, that mate was put out from his bed and she could resume her place as his favored."

Indel had no experience of his own with which to compare it.

"It is simple jealousy, a selfish jealousy and it will pass. I've seen human melt into fits of rage. Some would experience it so strongly that their eyes burned and watered, and hideous sounds came from their mouths." Sessel let out a sigh. "She is so human in ways. She even wears the third stage and engages in mating with you for sport."

"It is not sport," Indel muttered. "She must find satisfaction a time or two lest the secretions poison her. She's only surviving. At least now she has me to help."

Sessel shot from the shadows. "Do not say such a thing! Do not let anyone know what you do with this Summoner. A Summoner who shows her tail to you in public for sport. And if she's complained about the whipping then I hope she told you why. When you stood from the window, I went to close it only to find her tail pointing up at me. And because I knew you would not punish in accord, I had to make that sacrifice. I ask that you get from this bed, you engage the queen again tonight, and you do so quickly before your mood changes. Once you've succeeded in one batch, the second should come faster."

The prospect was less than appealing. Indel wanted to refuse.

"She has come all this way. It could mean your ruin if we do not conduct this properly," Sessel reminded him.

Indel fumbled with the tail until Nala brushed his hand aside, uncomfortable with the show of affection in Sessel's presence.

Despite her actions, Nala didn't pull away. In fact, she eased closer. Indel had never seen her look so frail. It occurred to him that Nala had missed several meals, even if she came, she didn't eat, and in this weak third-stage body, she would need to feed almost daily.

Sessel crouched down to face Indel as she said, "Daga. Mating with a Summoner Queen is one thing, refusing to complete the ritual and sending her back to her people in disgrace is quite another. You must complete this." She glanced to Nala, though reluctant to do so. "Your favored can remain during the ceremony. Her show of support is all you need, is it not?"

Indel supposed that it was. "I've never had any trouble with mating before."

"You've never mated constantly out of season before either, Daga. If we cannot complete this ceremony then we're all for naught. A Leveler King who cannot mate with anyone but one is our death. Even with a favored the king must spread his seed. Tradition dictates that a king who cannot produce is no King. Think of what you risk, Daga. And you risk it with someone barren. Think of what it'll mean if people realize you are unable to do your most basic function. You are King. Should all other males die tomorrow, you alone can revive us all again with enough females at your side. A dead or useless Leveler is of no consequence. A dead or unfruitful king, however, means a dead race."

With a bow of her head, Sessel stood and made her way out.

"Wait," Indel called. "How did you calm her? What do I do if she takes ill again?"

"Calm her?" Sessel said looking back at them. "I merely told her that you hadn't mated. As I've said, she isn't unwell, just selfish."

As soon as she was gone, Nala clung tighter.

Indel thought to go after Sessel, to calm her, assure her that all would be well, but he couldn't will himself to let Nala go.

The grooves from the whip lit Indel up with ire. "Do not provoke Sessel. Do you hear?"

Nala stiffened. That action was enough to tell Indel his Summoner might have taken offense. Perhaps she considered it unfair but Indel had reason to worry.

"Sessel is my second mother. You must understand what that means. If any other Leveler injured you, I'd take their hearts. If Sessel does it...I'll have to apologize to Sessel for forcing her hand. I cannot...I wouldn't do anything about it. Please, I beg you, anger anyone else, anger the very Shoki, but do not provoke Sessel to violence. She won my first father's affection and that must have been no easy means. Even I could never remember the former king giving me a kind word. Even when my first father died so mysteriously, I had nothing to say but the thought of losing Sessel...." He let out a sigh. "She means well, Summoner. Can't I honor you both in kind?"

Another dinner came but without the usual chatter. Indel should have said something to break through the tension but he didn't know what. He certainly wouldn't apologize for losing interest.

He could almost forget his misgivings about Citel when she sat up and brought food for both of them.

Nala caught hold of Indel's robe, a look of disinterest on her face.

The queen retreated to her usual spot. The next move was up to Indel, he'd have to bring her his own offering to signal a desire to continue.

Thunder rolled from the skies, but it was the mood within hall that felt grim and black.

All was drab and Sessel eyed Nala, fuming.

"Stage three Summoners are rare," Citel said, sounding impressed. "Very few can achieve that state without a tail."

She must have meant it in a positive sheen but Indel was rather protective of Nala's tail.

"Yes. It is interesting that her queen's tail is intact while her subjects' were sheared off by the hands of Earthers," Indel said.

Citel fell silent for a moment, forgetting how to even breathe.

"My king, I try to make peace. Won't you allow that for but a moment so that we may succeed tonight?"

Her request was reasonable enough. Tonight Nala didn't sneeze or twitch; she seemed as calm as ever.

"Make peace," Citel said, noticing her headway. "Allow her to return to her first stage and that will free up your loins so that we may try. We two cannot maintain this stage for too long—it will lead to madness. The vulnerability is unbearable."

Indel sat proud. "Nala need not change."

The queen's amicable expression dulled. "But if she remains as such, she will coax you before I have the chance. That is somewhat unfair."

"You assume she remains this way as a challenge to you. It is far from that. She's survived entire cycles in this stage."

"How vulgar."

By the time the Summoner Queen'd said it and noticed her mistake, Indel was already prepared to answer.

"Vulgar? What is vulgar about surviving alone for nearly five seasons without help? That is strength."

"It is hardly as heroic an endeavor as you say. Mating spells take us unless we return to the first stage. Leaving ourselves uncoaxed would make us ill, and no one can do it alone. I find it hard to believe that she survived that long on her own—in the wild no less. My king, please do not embellish so. Let us be friends. As an offering of goodwill...." Citel extended her hand behind her and a male stood. Judging from the strength of his physique, he had the much needed experience for the situation. The colors of his robe pleased Indel. The queen had requested that her Chara—main groomer—to groom Nala.

The Summoner Queen recognized Nala as the preferred at least, and was taking her proper place as second in his bed. Wonderful.

They ate, and danced, Indel standing at Nala's back, helping her to hold the Chara properly.

"The crease in his back is very tender from lack of fighting. I don't remember when mine no longer reacted. Here, press it," Indel insisted but his Summoner backed into him rather than approach the Chara.

Indel guessed that the groomer was a little older than Nala, but patient.

During Indel's dance with Citel yet again, Indel noticed a problem. Nala wouldn't move; she didn't so much as shake a hip in the Chara's direction.

Nala's distress outweighed that of the Queen's. Indel still kept Citel in mind when he danced her around, heading in Nala's direction. So long as they kept in motion they could commence.

Wrapping his arms around Nala's waist, Indel swayed with her. Nala's body reacted, moistening in seconds. Holding Nala's hands, Indel guided them to the groomers beautiful skin.

Using so much expert speed that Indel was taken aback, Nala slipped from his grip and turned in his hold.

And just like that, the prospects for the night had fled.

***

Indel should have been angry when they walked the halls together—Citel certainly was. She marched into her nest, her shamed groomer behind her, without so much as a glance much less a polite greeting. Moments later, the groomer was expelled from the room, him arms itching at his then dry skin as he scurried away lest the queen's wrath reach him.

For that Indel was sorry. The groomer had been lovely. He nearly rivaled Levelers with the length of his shoulders. While Levelers were fast at an attack, Summoners, true Summoner worriers provided great shielding. Citel blamed her groomer now, but in time, she would find out what Indel had to admit for himself, Nala was...uncommon.

When they reached their own nest, Nala didn't change her robes and enter the moss-bed as Indel expected. Instead, she walked to the window and stared out into the lightning and thunder sounding in the night.

Things had seemed possible tonight. Citel had sought out a modest place. She'd given Nala the proper respect. Yes, her tongues were too loose, but she was a queen and Indel himself never needed to take care when speaking.

Indel sat down on the bed of moss, watching the floor as he asked, "Is it that you do not enjoy Summoner males?" When the stillness of the room remained, he said, "Is it the shape of something about him? His waist was lean, and he had a power in his stride for a Summoner. Even his claws gleaned. Was there something you wanted different? I admit, his hair was too long and the tail wasn't as full but he was a sight. Wasn't he? He almost resembled a Leveler he exuded so much power."

At the silence that followed Indel said, "I do not understand. If—if the body shape does not suit you, perhaps she can provide you with a different Summoner male. A common one. Would that be best? Or a Leveler, perhaps. The third stage is hard but not impossible and—"

"I do not know why I didn't enjoy him," Nala interrupted. "I do not have an answer."

"All right then." Indel said, "Let us look for another male to suit you. Perhaps a Leveler is your preference."

But when the time came the next day, Nala refused to even pick her head up to see the handsome Leveler Citel had sought out on her own accord with Sessel's help.

Indel was pleased with her consideration. Her extra efforts to appease Nala made her lovely once more.

Tonight, when Nala stared at the floor without acknowledging the arch of the males back, the width of his strong chest, or the power of the Leveler's hearts, Indel felt cross.

This was a fine Leveler male to be sure. Citel reached under the Summoner, to find the sac full and ready and tried to convey as much. The male's member was good as well and slicked easily with one touch.

Maybe this male Leveler would not be appreciated by Nala, but he took great interest in Citel's appraisal if the oils of his skin was any indication.

When Indel was sure the Leveler shined, he turned and waited for Nala to notice. He meant to call to Nala but even as Nala rose to her feet, bowed her head, and walked away, Indel only watched her.

Letting out a sigh, Indel turned to the Queen, regret stealing all power in his voice when he apologized. "Forgive me. This is a most beautiful fighter."

Citel stood, her frown deepening. "Do you wish to have him here, if she returns? Or should I seek out another Summoner female for you? A common one as well?"

"As well?" Indel stared at her. He glanced to the male Leveler's confused face and considered her words. He was toned. He should have been a good fit for Nala. Finally, Indel shook his head.

"No," Indel said. "I will scold Nala. She is being contrary for no reason at all. Please forgive me. I will rest for tonight, and tomorrow we will succeed. Of that I am sure."

Citel gave no argument. No doubt she would allow her female groomers to aid both the Summoner and Leveler males that they could return to a lower stage with ease. Without the mating spell, they need only meditate, finding peace in each other's presence would be enough.

However, they managed it, Indel hoped he hadn't soured his chances with the queen. Her reaction to Nala's behavior showed her in a new light. Citel was strong and patient, and Indel, sharing few of those qualities, respected her understanding. Even Nala wasn't as wise.

Tonight when Indel arrived to the nest to find it empty save for his sleeping bodyguards, he let out a sigh.

He decided then and there that tomorrow would be the day he stopped worrying about his surly Summoner and think of his people. They needed a king, and these past few days had proven to him that he was no longer reliable. If he didn't breed one now, he might never find the chance again.

In the morning when Indel awoke alone, he stood and walked to the window. The gray of the skies swirled as if they would consume all around them.

Nala was close, that much Indel knew, though he couldn't say why he recognized it.

"I do not fit here," Nala said. Her voice carried; she stood at the entrance by the vails. "I wish to return to my farm."

The words held no power, and Indel, quite fed up with the trouble Nala had caused, didn't turn to look back at her.

His silence should have been enough. Nala could leave and she would be well to do so fast. Until now, Indel had ignored the warnings of others; ignored how other Levelers startled whenever they encountered their king in a stage meant for mating even though it was out of season. He ignored how lethargic he felt in this form, or how weak he truly was. And most of all, he ignored each time he went through the cycle and shortened his ability to return. Each time he forced the process it became harder and harder. The last time he awoke as Indel, he only feared for a moment that he could never return. But the prospect of seeing Nala, seeing those few instances of joy when his Summoner would gaze upon him with a pleasant look, all worry faded. For a moment a madness took him because he did not care if he would live out his days as such.

Now he only asked one thing, to give Sessel—his first father's preferred—to give his people a king. And Nala refused to even try.

"I wanted it to be you," the Summoner said.

The strange sound of Nala's voice only made Indel's blood boil yet again. "What?"

"In the lays," Nala muttered. "I wanted to try. I longed to. And I know when I did not touch that grooming Summoner you saw me as less. I was weak in your eyes and you brought a Leveler male, a Leveler who's used to a fit female—one with a tale, the very definition of what I am not and how can I explain to you that I felt nothing? You'll see that as weakness too. Or as me being purposely contrary, the same way you saw Sessel's whip as something I deserved. But that is not my intention. I cannot bring myself to touch another but you, but you don't see that as flattery. You do not understand or share my love."

Indel was glad he watched the not yet lighted field withstand the heavy rain, still showing his back to Nala. Such foolishness made him scowl.

Love? Indel was aware of the word, but as there was no real translation for it in the old tongues, he had to admit that his definition for what it might have meant changed with each hearing.

"I only wanted it to be you," Nala repeated. "Hadn't you wanted it to be me as well?"

But what could Indel say in return? That they should remain in this nest together till the end of time, dooming his people into war and death when they tried to select a king? And not just one, but seven or more would-be kings who would fight to the death to take dominance. Visions came to him of clutches breaking off, fighting against one another, having to find separate shelters for the mating, then perhaps lay ambush and murder infants and pregnant females. Wars the likes of ancient stories wracked Indel with terror. And for what? For a Summoner who'd refuse to touch another male but him? Who expected the same in return? In these months, it was true Indel hadn't a lay with anyone other than Nala, but there was no need for one.

And in truth, Indel's nest was usually full as the bodyguards slept close mostly. It was custom and comfortable for Levelers to sleep close for warmth and a sense of security. Indel had done away with that for Nala's sake as well. Not only because of the armor, but because Nala simply wanted the two of them to touch. Indel had never considered it or worried for the request; he'd only done it. But to what end?

Was that supposed to be love? Some Earther notion Indel couldn't comprehend? Then what was the point of love—and a singular love at that?

"Now you want to leave? We disagree, and your solution is to leave? You can leave," Indel said. "Leave and return to your pitiful farm. I'll be happy to be done with you." He turned, waving his right hand to dismiss her. "I'll be glad to be done with all that pertains to you and your whims! Leave! Leave and may you never know a day's peace again!"

Nala, wearing the rags of servants rather than the nice robes Indel had gifted her over the months, looked frail and pitiful standing there. She seemed ready to step forward and speak.

Instead, she stopped herself, the rope of her robe in her hands.

What could she say? She refused to make a new king when her current king was in need of something familiar and safe.

They stared at one another for a long while before Indel let out a shriek from his weak third stage throat.

Nala made a small sound, much like a dajin pup tossed onto the ground.

In time, Nala drew herself up to her full height, put the colorful robe in her left hand on the floor, and bowed.

When she turned to walk away, Indel faced the window once more.

"Be done with you, Summoner. I need nothing from your feeble temperament."

2