BOOK 2: CHAPTER 9
26 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nala's head whirled even as she made her way down the long cavern and out through the courtyard. The rain didn't matter. Within seconds she was soaked through, it didn't matter. Nothing mattered but finding shelter somewhere else.

In the yard she selected the biggest sloth, certain Indel wouldn't care; he'd allowed Nala every other whim.

Getting the covering and preparing it for a rider was a fast enough task and the protection of the roof was a safe haven to do so.

As soon as Nala mounted, her grip on the reins firm, she glanced upward to the window she knew to be her king's nest.

The sloth stirred but Nala shifted her body to calm the beast. She would have an easy enough journey. Even the rains had calmed now when she'd decided to leave.

If she could see Indel one last time, she could go. She stared at that window for ages until she finally gave up and nudged the sloth with her feet.

Two clicks of her tongues later, the animal meandered in a circle then started off toward the main wall. Each Leveler to see her preened, all but too happy with her departure. Some nearly ran to open the gates.

As she neared one familiar face came into view.

Sessel stood with her arms folded. The expression on her face meant what little patience she had left had vanished.

"Get down off that beast before I drag you down by your hair," Sessel said.

The sloth startled but regained its footing. Nala resolved to ignore her but Sessel stepped before her, a glare so striking the animal backed away.

"Down," Sessel commanded.

The sloth's heart pounded so Nala took it to mean it was more aware of the danger; Sessel was serious.

Nala glanced at the empty window of the Leveler King's nest once more. No one.

A moment later, Nala found herself sliding to the ground. Sessel commanded two Levelers to take the animal.

Without looking back, Sessel set off toward the structure once more, Nala slowly lumbering behind her.

Nala's hearts pounded. She hadn't expected Indel to give in and send for her. She hadn't expected to return to that roost. And she didn't expect to feel such relief, flattery, worry, and longing all with that prospect.

No one greeted her when she entered, however, and instead of Indel's nest, she followed Sessel down an area she'd never visited till now. It was Sessel's room. It even had a door.

"Sit down," Sessel commanded once the door swung closed.

Nala remained standing, "I wasn't going to go with your master to the mating, so why do you hinder my parting?"

Sessel's glare turned cold. "Sit, before I break your legs."

Though Nala wanted to be defiant and still remain standing, her body wasn't as willing. Eyes fixed on Sessel, Nala lowered herself to the ground.

Her action caused Sessel to cock her head. They were both in Sessel's nest, no doubt Indel was unaware of it, a Summoner was no match for a Leveler usually, even less so in this vulnerable stage-three body. The room felt smaller, like a pen of sorts.

Dark brown eyes watched her as the aging Leveler crossed the room and took off her robe.

While changing clothing, Sessel asked, "Why did you sit?"

Nala finally surveyed the walls to see seven bodyguards on each side. "You know why."

Pausing while putting another robe on, Sessel turned to her. "The next time I ask you a question, you'd better answer it."

They both glared at each other, but it was Nala who gave in and watched the floor. "Even if you hurt me, he blames me for it. I know he will. He says not to provoke you. I won't provoke you."

The new robe finally on her shoulders, Sessel turned completely. "Why do you think he gets angry?"

"I don't know."

"And why do you change your attitude for him? Are you afraid of being injured?"

More than anything, Nala wanted to stand and walk away. She didn't see why she should be subjected to such nonsense, but each time she tried to stand, she had no will to do so. As if enchanted, she calmly confessed, "I don't like upsetting him. At first it didn't matter to me, but now, when he's sad, it hurts me. More than anything. It hurts me."

"And now you leave?"

"It's for the best," Nala admitted. "Keeping me here has always been a challenge."

When Sessel turned again, a cupboard came into view. This Leveler had furniture not unlike Earthers. They reminded Nala of the sloths she collected. It shouldn't have been a collection, and really one sloth was enough for a Summoner, two was a great luck. But seven, seven was now a trophy.

Earther gadgets lined the room, and Nala wondered why Sessel had these trophies as well.

Sessel rummaged through the cupboard. "I'm sure you've noticed my own set of bodyguards."

Nala had.

"They are not mine however, they belonged to the previous lord, Indel's first father, Girus." When she took out a set of Earther clothes, she turned to face Nala once more. "Indel's tough, and fair, and strong but he was birth for me after his brother was killed by Earthers in battle. Their father refused to leave me unguarded. Each clutch has a chance to make a king. When his brother died, the next clutch should have been allowed a king-select, but their father instead mated again so that the new king would be of his loins, and I would be safe. Indel is the king now, but he's not in charge here. I am. And whatever I say, he'll do." They both stared each other down. "The idea that he'd ever turn a queen away just to please you is not only unacceptable but something I'll never allow again. He should put you from his nest."

"You cannot force him—" Nala shut up but it was too late. It was not her intention to say it aloud. Something inside her wanted to boast that she'd decided to leave, not that she was turned out.

In the blink of an eye, Sessel glided forward and stood before her. "No. I can't do anything to force him, but I can force you." Her stern glare seemed soft compared to her harsh voice. "I am the same age as Indel's first father. I was Girus's bodyguard, and he took me for comfort lays. Which was undone. He couldn't even admit that I was his favored."

Sessel paused—the memory caused her suffering. "I'm no more than you."

Nala flinched, surprised.

In time, Sessel calmed. "I'm nothing more than you. I know how you feel being a play thing. And the bodyguards must stay with you with each lay. I was the same way with Indel's first father, and he did everything to please me and more. But I lost sight of all that. I forgot my place." Her eyes gravitated to the ground as her fuel ran out. "We were happy together, but he could never claim me, and I expected him to."

Folding the clothes once more, Sessel turned and put them in the cupboard.

"When Girus chose a preferred mate, one that wasn't a lowly bodyguard, it hurt too much. It hurt too much to see that I would never be anything more to him than a strange interest. He had a preferred mate and another who gave him a new king, someone he'd die for, wage wars for, give his name, his title, everything." Sessel rested her hands against the wood of the Earth furniture. "I couldn't return to my post as a bodyguard, so Girus, made me an advisor. The Earthers were crushing us, driving us back. But I wanted these Earther things; they were so new and unique."

Running her hand along a desk beside her, she smiled.

"I didn't believe in Girus's fondness for me until he made Indel."

Though it was dark, Nala could make out Sessel's grim expression.

"I wanted so much from Girus. I wanted everything. For cycles, I would never let him near me. Ever. Then in time, he stopped asking to. The night before he died, that was the first time we'd had a lay together in nearly ten cycles. "He was lonesome and he came to me, and I gave in. But in the morning, I asked him to leave my nest, and told him to never come back." Eyes closed, she muttered, "I just didn't want to get hurt again." Her weary eyes opened as she confessed, "He killed himself the very night."

In the stillness of the dark, Nala's breaths quickened.

"None of the bodyguards in your nest have a tail," Sessel explained. "Removing the tail locks them into one cycle. It brings the stages slower, and it solidifies their loyalty. The bodyguards have one cycle, and one cycle only because they know their lives depend on that of their king. That was my fascination with the Earthers; they had one course of life, yet they claimed power and took risks. It was so contrary to the king's bodyguards who keep their king safe, but think nothing of themselves individually. They are a collective. The bodyguards desire nothing, and they fight until a new king comes and they are allowed to travel the next stages and die in peace. But you...."

When Sessel approached then crouched down until they were face to face, Nala was silent.

"Indel cannot breed. He's fixated with you, and the longer he waits, the worse I fear it will become. And now you leave. Levelers will die for their king, but if a king cannot keep them safe, they will turn on him. They'll ask for your head, and he'll refuse. And then it will be his instead. He needs a king from his loins who will honor him and allow him to remain safe and rested. What happens if you leave and he cannot perform the ceremony? The queen will challenge him and he cannot win in the state he's in now. I would never allow that suffering." Sessel leaned close to whisper, "You don't have to worry about me killing you. I'd never hurt my Daga like that. Ever." She leaned closer. "But if he does not breed, if he's unable to do so, before a challenger rips his head off instead, out of mercy, I'll kill him myself." Her voice was filled with venom. "I'll leave you breathing, and kill him, and the pain and guilt you'll feel for the rest of your life would eat you up inside and I'd damn well know, because it's what's eating me up, too."

Their eyes met finally when Sessel leaned away.

Sessel waited. Her expression held no satisfaction. "The same reason you sat, is the same reason you're going to heed my warning. Be very careful how you tread with me."

2