BOOK 3: CHAPTER 8
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crane loved Nala, he'd follow the Summoner anywhere. Idsel knew it was because Nala was so quiet, allowing the boy to talk nonstop.

His speech was still choppy here or there but he was fast in mastering the Earther's tongue.

Idsel watched them from the doorway. Crane carried a large gourd back from the river again and again to give his Summoner mother some water as the suns began to set.

The small red scales along Crane's body were typical for his age, although his height was bigger than Idsel expected.

Idsel stared back at the corner where Boon still slept, hoping he would hatch soon. It would be best to travel with the children once both were able to move on their own. Depending on the outcome of any fight he gave Citel's new mate or mates, Crane and Boon's fate would be sealed. Nala may be allowed to run but the former king and his besets would be put to rest together.

Strategy was important; Idsel needed to be sure that in the worst case, all three; Boon, Crane, and Nala could flee. The season was nearly at an end.

When he turned to look out at the field again, he was in time to see Nala crouch low, allowing Crane to jump on her back.

Crane gave out a laugh as his second mother ran around in a circle while making noise.

Idsel could only imagine how much Crane's claws must have hurt Nala from that grip.

Still, the Summoner played on. When she tired, she lumbered to the barn, Crane still on her back.

That wouldn't be the end of it, however, because Crane could never sit still for long.

The boy tried to barrel through the door. Idsel caught him by the face and gave him a small smile.

"Come, Daga, you must be proper when entering a structure. You mind your manners and you request entrance."

Crane's black eyes grew wide. The clicks he made were sloppy and although Idsel understood them as a greeting, he didn't allow the boy to pass.

"Use the Earther tongue if you must."

Letting out a deep breath, he said, "Bid me entry."

Idsel stepped aside. Nala chuckled when she finally reached them. "Between him and the farming, I do not think I can survive this season."

"He has a lot of energy," Idsel agreed, stepping back to give her room. He ran his finger through Nala's hair.

The Summoner lowered her gaze, indicating she understood. She muttered as she ducked by, "Calm yourself, Mana. We have some hours yet before he sleeps and we can find a place in the brush."

They sat down to eat. As was Crane's habit, he ran to Boons chrysalis and put a bowl down beside it. He often banged against the pod and while it was startling at first, Idsel and even Nala had come to know it would be all right.

It took hours of chattering nonsense before the boy finally fell silent in the bed of hay.

Both Nala and Idsel nearly nodded off with him.

Nala's firm strike in the arm roused Idsel from his sleep. He lumbered to his feet. It was dangerous to engage in a lay in the dead of night but as the opportunity didn't offer itself often, they didn't have much of a choice.

Idsel had found a cave but they both agreed it was too far away. So instead, they would find a thick enough bush for covering and they'd since learned to be quick and quiet about it.

As they stepped out the door, Idsel raised his hands above his head and stretched.

"My body's become lethargic without activities," he complained.

Nala exited after him. "I hope you are adequately sated at least."

Whenever Nala showed such strange concerns, Idsel did what he always did, he clapped Nala on the rear and laughed.

"Such foolishness. Come."

Boon's arrival two days later was met with worry from a frantic Nala who kept picking at the blue scales on the boy's forehead.

"It's gotten worse." Nala finally stopped when Boon's crying became too much. She'd managed to pick out three but there were several smaller ones she couldn't take.

Idsel caught Boon when boy rushed him. He felt equally responsible for not stopping the nonsense sooner.

"Shhh, Daga, it's all right."

Otherwise, Boon's body also bore red scales. They weren't as red as Crane's but they were enough. No Leveler would care usually, but this pink coupled in with the blue might garner him a few second glances.

Boon was much shorter than his brother. His frame was slimmer, too. Idsel watched silently as Crane came back to grab him by the arm and take him outside to play in the setting suns.

Crane named all the plants he knew to Boon, leading him down to the unruly flowerbed near the forest.

Idsel stood from the floor and peered out the door. To him, he was looking at two beings in contrast. He was staring at a mighty Leveler King and his gentle Summoner brother.

"I will take them with me and return to the roost," Idsel said.

Nala stepped beside him. "Both of them? Or do you mean Boon?"

Idsel nodded. "Both. We'll leave as soon as Boon can make a proper greeting. It doesn't matter that he cannot talk yet, it'll come."

A bout of silence fell over them until Nala nodded. "All right. That will give me time to pick out more of Boon's scales."

Letting out a sigh, Idsel shook his head. "The smaller ones will begin to bleed. Leave it for now."

Boon was the first to shriek, a noise so strong that Idsel's hearts nearly stopped.

Crane wasn't far behind him as they raced toward the barn.

Idsel jumped out and rushed toward them. "Stay behind me, Na'am!"

Both boys ran by, caught by Nala. When the door closed, Idsel surveyed the dim light. Should it be Levelers, he could perhaps bargain. Should it be an animal, with this little armor he might take on far more damage than he could repair.

Three blue bodies came out of the woods.

"Summoners?" And not just any Summoners, but three stage three Summoner males dressed in vests and trousers. He half mistook them for Earthers. Each with their hair tied back, but feet still bare, they watched him at a distance, talking with each other.

One Summoner took out a watch from his vest pocket.

Other than one of Nala's gunny-sack robes, Idsel wore nothing. Both Crane and Boon ran around bare. The strangers' appearance forced him to consider his own. He had nicer robes inside but these Summoners wore trousers. They looked like Earthers.

Idsel tried to appear as casual in his stance as he could, which was difficult considering Boon and Crane's fear.

When they neared finally, he could make out the whip in one Summoner's hand.

The one in the lead cleared his throat before trying to speak in the old tongue.

It was a poor greeting. Whoever they were, they hadn't been taught properly.

Idsel was curious about their struggle with the language until he realized why they tried. Most Levelers from the Earther occupation had perished in the wars. Very few still remained even now in the roost. As Levelers and Summoners rarely mixed at the time, or could mix using the Earther tongue, they assumed he was a new breed as well.

"I can talk," Idsel said finally.

The three of them gasped, their skins dampening; they were embarrassed.

"Greetings. My name is Plasket," the lead Summoner said. "We heard there was a Summoner upon this mound."

Idsel opened his fists to brandish his claws. "What of it?"

That action made the other Summoners stir. It was in that instance that Idsel noticed the pistol on one Summoner's hip.

He cursed himself for not having his armor.

1