CHAPTER FORTY-THREE: GABRIEL BREAKS THE BANK
429 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gabriel woke up with a spring in his step. He kicked off his blankets and quickly got ready. Before Gabriel left his room, he called Lucy.

 

“Hey Gabriel, thanks for calling me back so quick”. Lucy sarcastically replied after answering his call.

 

“Sorry Lucy. I can’t get calls in-game. You need to at least get a D.O. account so you can send me a PM while I am playing. Now do you have some news for me?” Gabriel replied. When he said the last part, Lucy could almost feel Gabriel’s excitement.

 

“Yes, I do. Because I'm an amazing agent. I have found three houses that fit your criteria for your family, they are in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. Close to Brooklyn Technical High for your sister Jane. I have scheduled for appointments with the realtor this afternoon.” Lucy said, taking on a very business-like tone.

 

“That’s perfect. You did great finding three in such a short time. I could kiss you!” Gabriel said in excitement.

 

“I would prefer you don't. You’re not my type, not enough padding for me... ‘Cough’. Anyway. I have also got into contact with Minoko Tyaji for you, she will meet us at the office for lunch, after we handle the currency transfer. Sound good? I will see you soon, have to run.” Lucy said in a rush after blurting out her apparent ‘type’.

 

Gabriel chuckled at Lucy and went down to see his family; they were all sitting around the kitchen table. Max was the first of the family to notice Gabriel arrive. Jumping off his seat, Max ran to his big brother.

 

“Gab! Help me! I don’t want to go to school! Jane is being mean! Mum won’t get me the new ‘Space Monkeys’ toy!” Max complained while he ran into Gabriel’s arms.

 

 

Max vented his grievances to his big brother, hoping to find an ally.

 

“Max, Jane isn’t being mean. She was just saying that you can’t cry every time you don’t get what you want. However, if you are a good boy all week and make your bed every morning. I promise that we will go to the toy store on the weekend and get you the ‘Space Monkeys’ toy.” Gabriel said.

 

 

He didn’t want Max to grow up being a spoiled brat, who did nothing but complain. However, he was only 5 and he rarely ever got any toys besides for Christmas and his birthday. Even then, Max only could get one, as money was tight for his parents.

 

 

Max’s eyes shined after hearing Gabriel promise.

 

 

“You promise!?” Max shouted.

 

 

“I promise!” Gabriel replied, putting Max back down in his seat.

 

 

“Gabriel you shouldn’t be spending your money on toys. You’re not working at the moment.” Ariel said. She couldn’t help but butt in when she saw Gabriel promising to buy things. She knew, Gabriel didn’t have much money as he already spent most of his savings on the Dive Capsule.

 

 

Gabriel turned to his mother and noticed her worried look. The extra dark bags underneath her eyes, told of long nights worrying recently. Gabriel than turned to Kristof and saw the same thing.

 

 

“Mom, Dad, Jane and Max.” Gabriel said. Gathering the family’s attention. Gabriel’s very eyes were sparkling.

 

 

“I don’t want to go into too much detail right now but I have some great news. Please, can everyone be home at 3pm. I have somewhere I want to take you all.” Gabriel said.

 

 

“What are you up to Gab? I, like your mother don’t want you spending your money on foolish things. Where are you taking us?” Kristof said, he was looking at Gabriel with a stern but worried face.

 

 

“It's a surprise but I promise you will love it. I will explain more this afternoon. Dad please, just trust me, okay?” Gabriel pleaded. Kristof could be like a dog with a bone when he wanted an answer.

 

 

“Fine. We will see you this afternoon then. If I find out you bought a stupid expensive car or something. I will tan your ass.” Kristof warned.

 

 

“Haha. Don’t stress old man.” Gabriel laughed.

 

 

Looking at his phone, Gabriel noticed the time was close to 8am.

 

 

“I better get going guys, I have to take the train into the city. I will see you all this afternoon.” Gabriel waved goodbye and gave his mother a kiss on the cheek before heading off.

 

Gabriel took the sky train into the city and walked the couple of blocks to the offices of Lucy and Clint. Entering through the front doors. The receptionist, Jamie, waved him through.

 

 

“They are both in Clint’s office and told me to tell you, to head straight on in.” Jamie said.

 

 

Gabriel entered Clint’s office. Lucy was sitting next to her father on the inside of his desk, they were both looking at the computer screen. They seemed so focused on the monitor that they didn’t acknowledge Gabriel’s presence.

 

 

“Hello there.” Gabriel said with a wave.

 

“General Kenobi.” Lucy replied out of reflex looking up at Gabriel.

 

 

Lucy did a double take and suddenly stood up out of her chair. Speed walking over to Gabriel, she grabbed his hand and dragged him over to the monitor.

 

 

“Check it out, the latest news is the price will be closer to $300 per Gold Coin! We are only 15 minutes away before the currency exchange opens.” Lucy said excitedly.

 

 

“Awesome. This is exciting! What’s the plan Clint?” Gabriel said, feeding off of Lucy’s excitement.

 

 

“Hi Gabriel. The plan is to exchange 2500 Gold Coins from your D.O. account to US dollars. Then we will sell the remainder in 1000 Gold increments to a guild and a rich solo player I have already notified. For a total of 4500 Gold.” Clint explained.

 

“Okay that all sounds good. What are we doing about the account the money will be wired to?” Gabriel asked.

 

“I have used a couple of my contacts to make sure the amount is transferred to three different accounts. This is your new account; it will be your main spending account and used for buying yours and your families personally lived in properties.” Clint said, giving Gabriel the account details and new card.

 

“I made another account attached to a new business I have started in your name. I need you to sign this Registered Identification Number and name your new company.” Clint continued explaining to Gabriel, while he pulled a stack of papers from a desk drawer.

 

Gabriel had a look through the documents and wrote down the name of his new company. He decided with “Paragon Inc”.

 

“This company will be for your future investments, paying staff and incoming revenue from your D.O. character [Osiris]. Not the Gold Coin exchange though. The revenue you will make for selling your likeness, T.V. deals, interviews and streaming your videos. The last account will be for your rainy-day fund and for anything that needs to be bought under the table. The company name for this is “Mendax”. It is located in the Bahamas and virtually untraceable.” Clint said, he looked quite pleased with all he had set up.

 

“Jesus... This is perfect Clint. Did you also set up the “Mendax” account yourself?” Gabriel asked, while putting all the new documents in a slim briefcase, Lucy had just given him.

 

“No, I don’t have the skills for that. I used an old friend of mine and before you say anything. This person is of the highest quality when it comes to trustworthiness. As long as you never jib him on his payment, he will never divulge your information. His price is expensive though but because I have hired him on to handle your account transfers for the next 12 months. We only have to pay him $100,000 a month.” Clint explained.

 

Gabriel knew it sounded expensive but the help would go a long way. Especially because he would need to make a couple, “under the table purchases”.

 

By the time Gabriel went through all the documents and remembered the (RN) for the two companies. A press announcement was held, involving the CEO/Creator of Boundless Entertainment/Deliverance Online, Ralph Garman and the CFO of The World Bank. They answered a few questions from reporters before officially announcing D.O. Gold as a currency.

 

“Alright let’s wait a moment for the price to inflate. Should take about 30 minutes for the price to peak. I will get us some coffees.” Clint instructed, before talking into an intercom to Jamie.

 

The price peaked at $310 for a D.O. Gold coin. Clint issued the first transfer of 2500 Gold Coins. Making 775,000 US dollars in one sitting. Gabriel smiled looking at the monitor and seeing the amount of money earned. The heavy emotions got the best of him for a bit. Eyes appearing watery.

 

‘I can finally help my family, not just with easing their financial burdens. I will build myself strong enough to be the wall to hold back the flood of sh*t that will soon descend’. Gabriel thought, his chaotic emotions quickly cooling. He clenched his fists tight, with eyes aglow.

 

 

Lucy noticed Gabriel's slightly shining eyes and attributed it to his excitement. The trio waited for 30 minutes until Clint received a call from a rich solo player. He was looking to by 1000 Gold coins of Gabriel at $250 per Gold. The Guild Clint organised also called and offered $240 per Gold for 1000 Gold pieces. After the two more sales, Gabriel's personal wealth just reached $1,265,000 US.

 

Gabriel smiled ear to ear, due to the successful transfer, Gabriel straight away paid the first month's fee to the Accountant, Clint hired. Leaving him with $1,165,000.

 

“Alright Gabriel, looking at the time we have thirty minutes before your meeting with Minoko Tyaji. I have arranged her to meet you here and have set up one of the offices next door for you to have some privacy. I must admit when talking to her on the phone, she came off very professional. I also did some research and apparently, she got top grades in her business classes at West Point but had to drop out, due to personal reasons, just before she graduated. How did you get to know her?” Lucy went on a bit of a rant before asking the question that had been bothering her.

 

“I actually don’t know her but have met her father. There is a bit of a story to it but I don’t want to get into it right now okay.” Gabriel said, successful shutting down further questions.

 

Lucy gave him a pointed look but dropped the conversation anyway.

 

“Well after you have finished with Minoko Tyaji, I have arranged for a car, per your request, to pick up your family and they will meet us in Clifton Hill to check out the first house.” Lucy reminded Gabriel.

 

“Also have a look at these apartments I picked out for you, as per your requirements most the places are penthouses and take up half a floor. The price is also at least three times what you would spend on you parents new house.” Lucy explained, she then handed Gabriel a tablet with the penthouse's information on them.

 

 

Gabriel spent just short of an hour going over them before narrowing down to two choices to inspect in person. Clint received a call on his desk phone from Jamie at reception. Notifying Gabriel that Minoko Tyaji was here.

 

Gabriel grinned and thought to himself. ‘Time to meet my future assistant and spy master.’

18