CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE: MOUNTING THE MOUNTS
405 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Gabriel got home with his family, his mother prepared his favourite dish of Roast chicken for him. The whole time she had a bright smile on her face. Gabriel couldn’t stop smiling either. Max didn't really understand why everyone was excited, he was just happy that the new house would have a pool.  

 

 

Gabriel mused to himself, ‘I wonder how happy mum will be, when I get enough money for dad’s surgery on his legs.’ After dinner, Gabriel went back to his room and opened his old laptop. He fired it up and went through a couple of emails, every time he changed tabs the screen froze for a minute but that felt like forever to the impatient Gabriel.  

 

 

“God damn piece of sh*t” Gabriel muttered, before he just gave up.  

 

Gabriel retreated to his bed, he wanted to get to sleep early. He had a lot of things to do in D.O. tomorrow and he knew it would be a hectic day for most players and especially for the guilds. The large guilds would start to show a much bigger presence from tomorrow, showing off the power they have manage to accumulate themselves and the wealth from the Gold exchange.  

 

 

Gabriel woke up at 4am the following morning. Doing a quick workout, he stripped and jumped in his capsule.  

 

 

Opening his eyes in the same room of the Inn, he had been renting since arriving in Roma. Gabriel got out of the bed and headed out the door. He checked the in-game clock and saw it was 7am. Gabriel also went through his inventory and saw he only had [5x Minor health potions] left. He was going to need a lot more.  

 

 

Gabriel headed to the merchant district first, as he need to stock up on some supplies and pick up a quest he planned to complete very soon. Gabriel noticed a lot of players running around Roma. He knew a world-wide announcement would be made soon, that would send most of the people running out of Roma and into the forest & mountains surrounding the city.  

 

 

D.O. has only been online for just over a week. There were still a certain amount of people getting used to mechanics and purely enjoying this new world. There was an air of “We are all Noobs at the moment, so let’s get along”. So far there has been very little Player Killing (PK) in D.O. and no one ganging up with their friends to bully others. That would soon change and change quickly.  

 

 

Gabriel took a gondola to the Merchant District and walked through throngs of NPC’s and players. A lot of players had set up makeshift stalls and were selling their used equipment to anyone. Players could use the marketplace in the Bazaar but only other players could buy their goods. NPC’s didn’t have access to the Player Bazaar. Gabriel arrived after a ten-minute walk to a fairly popular store. 

 

There were multiple incense burners hanging out front and dotted inside. They were giving off a strong flowery fragrance to overpower the nose burning smells from the items on sale. The store was an Alchemist shop. Selling ingredients and ready-made concoctions. You could but potions of all different sorts, monster repellents and even liquid bait to attract certain monsters. Some of the more extravagant items required you to have a certain amount of World renown or familiarity with the shopkeeper.  

 

 

To the side was a job board. Alchemist usually posted rewards for bringing them ingredients. Some asked for a specific flower another could ask for the [Eyes of a Basilisk]. The more danger or rarer ingredient the better the rewards. Gabriel approached to job board and searched for five minutes among the many requests. His eyes finally landed on a tattered and dirty slip of paper. The request looked like it had been up on the board for a while. With nobody choosing to take the request. There was a good reason too., as Gabriel read to job order.  

 

[A Cyclops’s stone-cold stare (Impossible) Recommended LVL 30] 

  • Job Description: Imperial Master Alchemist Archomedus has need of a [1x Cyclops Eye] to craft a potion with the ability to heal someone inflicted with a permanent [Petrification spell]  

Task 1. Retrieve an intact [Cyclops eye] - A [Cyclops Eye] can only retain its full magical properties for 6 hours after being harvested. 

Additional info: [Cyclops] are monsters not native to Imperium lands. A wandering [Cyclops] has been sighted four hours walking distance North of Roma, near the Mountains of Heagle.  

Rewards:  

  • ????? 

 

 

Gabriel took the job order paper off the board and walked to the service desk.  

 

 

“I would like to take this Job request; I will also need a large [Jar of Keeping], ten [Advanced Health potion]s, two flasks of [Sticky Oil] and one [Advanced Harvesting Knife].” Gabriel requested.  

 

The young male behind the counter just stared at Gabriel for a few moments. He looked down at the request and his eyes bulged.  

 

“You can’t be serious? This is a suicide mission. Also, it has just been a rumour that [Cyclops] was seen near the mountains. You might go there and never find it. There is also a heavy monetary penalty if you take a job and don’t fulfill it within a week.” The young man warned Gabriel, but it fell on deaf ears.  

 

“I will not need a week; I plan to return by the end of the day to hand in this request. Now I do not have much time to waste. Please get the things I have asked for.” Gabriel said in a stern voice. He didn’t want to waste time bickering with the clerk.  

 

 

The young clerk was going to open his mouth again but saw the resolution in Gabriel’s eyes. He shook his head in defeat and went to the storeroom to get Gabriel’s requested items. Coming back, he put them on the table for Gabirel to inspect.  

 

Gabriel nodded after having a look at the item before asking the price.  

 

“The total will be a 110 Gold.” The young clerk said, he was short now Gabriel didn’t seem to want to take his well-intended advice.  

 

Gabriel paid the money and stored the items in his inventory. Gabriel headed to the West gates. He didn’t go through the north as outside the West was a large stable full of horses. Gabriel went up to a stable hand that was brushing down a horse. Gabriel didn’t say anything and just stood near the man, appearing to be counting down in his head. The stable hand was perplexed.  

 

“I am sorry Traveller but if you have come looking for a horse, they are not available for sal...” The Stable Hand cut off suddenly, as Gabriel and all other players online received a notification.  

 

 

[Worldwide Announcement! Player [DragonHeart] was the first player in the world of [Valhalla] to reach LVL 20. All players in [Valhalla] now have access to two new systems! 

[Mounts have been unlocked! Players can now buy, tame and find Mounts. In your status screen is now a new section called [Mounts]. Mounts are split between Land-based, Air-based and Water-based; you can only own one mount for each base type. Upon obtaining a [Mount] you will receive a spell that will let you call them. For more Information on Mounts, search the [Mounts] tab.] 

 

[Guilds have been Unlocked! Players can now start their own guild. To start a Guild, you must first find a Guild Token, they range from Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. You can find [Guild Tokens] by defeating and looting a Boss of LVL 25 and higher. [Roaming Bosses] will always drop a [Guild Token] depending on LV of boss and rarity, the token will be a higher grade. Higher grade [Guild Token] give you better benefits and the ability to purchase bigger plots of land in Capital Cities in [Valhalla]. For more Info on Guilds go to [Guilds] tab in status screen] 

 

 

After the announcement, the player population in the cities went mental. Guilds were calling all their armies to march into the wild and find Bosses. While solo players were excited to get Mounts and travel around. All Guild Master’s knew that obtaining the first [Guild Token] would get an announcement. Leading to their Guild being announced across the world and building the reputation majorly.   

 

 

Gabriel was focused on the player's name [Dragonheart] with a rueful smile.  

 

 

“That crazy basta*d will always be the same.” Gabriel muttered.  

 

 

[Dragonheart] was a famous player in his past too. He was renowned for being a Leveling maniac, he loved to fight the strongest players and monsters in [Valhalla]. He travelled all over [Valhalla] in the past, challenging anyone he heard was rumored to be strong. Gabriel being known as the ‘One man Army’. Made him a target of this madman for many months. Evolving into multiple fights, Gabriel learnt a lot from [Dragonheart] and respected the man greatly.  

 

“Excuse me sir. Were you looking to buy or rent a horse today?” The stableman asked Gabriel.  

 

Gabriel grinned as the Stableman had changed his tune after the announcement. Gabriel was about to answer him when he heard the sound of far off shouting and running coming from the Gates. Gabriel looked back and saw multiple people stampeding towards the Stable. Gabriel eyes bugged out while he thought ‘Jesus! Those people are sure quick! Better hurry up or I’ll be trampled’. 

 

“I need to but an [Arcanian] Mount. The price should be 300 Gold correct?” Gabriel almost shouted at the stable hand, after seeing the mob coming his way, he wanted to get the hell out of there.  

 

 

“Ahh yes sir. It is 300 Gold. I have a good [Arcanian] stallion for you. I will go get him a saddled up for you. Do you want to but some saddlebags for 30 Gold?” The stableman asked in hurry too. 

 

“Yeah, and add in some feed bags, I will give you an extra 5 Gold if you make it quick.” Gabriel said, pulling out 5 Gold and putting it in the stableman’s hands.  

 

The stable man nodded and was true to his word. He had successful saddled a sleek black Stallion in a matter of minutes. A glossy mane with streaks of silver billowed in the wind leading to a majestic appearance, as the stableman brought the horse over to Gabriel.  

 

Gabriel didn’t get much time to admire the new horse, as the crowd was almost on top of him. He quickly mounted the black horse and galloped towards the west. The horse must have been a free spirit, as when Gabriel gave it its head, the horse ran even faster and neighed in happiness. Gabriel finally reined the horse in after thirty minutes of solid riding.  

 

 

Gabriel dismounted and patted the horse on its neck. He tied a feed bag to its head and lightly ran his fingers through the horse’s mane. Gabriel finally inspected the horse and received a notification straight after. 

 

[You have received – [Arcanian Horse] - (Male) (LVL 5) (Friendly)] 

  • HP – 1000/1000 
  • Additional info: The breed [Arcanian] is birthed through a fusion of magic and nature. Known as a horse that never tires, they have endless endurance, able to keep at a steady gallop for hours without tiring. Known as an excellent warhorse, with the smarts to receive simple worded commands. 

 

[To register [Arcanian Horse] as your land-based Mount please name it] 

 

Gabriel selected the name [Alastor], it was the name of one of [Hades] horses who pulled his chariot when he came out from the underworld.  

 

[Congratulations! [Alastor] has been registered in your Mount tab – You have also received the spell [Call Mount]] 

 

Gabriel patted [Alastor] and removed the feedbag before mounting. He rode off towards a set of mountains in the distance. Now with a mount it would only take about two hours to reach the base of the first mountain. Gabriel kicked [Alastor] in the sides lightly and set off at a trot. Dirt flicking up behind the pair from the hard packed ground.  

19