CHAPTER FIFTY: IMPERIAL REWARD
513 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Gabriel finished the last spear and placed it back in the barrel with the others, he received two notification windows.

 

[Profession Quest Completed! – A Master’s Slack – Part II (Chained)]

 

Task 1. Engrave [High-Steel Spear] with Armour penetrations and Toughness Runes - 20/20

Rewards:

  • 10 x Gold
  • 2000 EXP to [Runesmith] profession

 

 

[Runesmith Profession has leveled up! - [Novice Runesmith – LVL 4 –2450/4000 Exp to next level]

 

 

Gabriel received 2000 EXP for finishing the quest and 100 EXP for every successfully [Runed] Spear. As he was reading the notifications, a mischievous old man appeared behind him.

 

 

“Well Lad! I didn’t think you would already be done with those spears. I didn’t need to walk so slowly back from the Imperial Palace. Ah, my poor old legs.” [Manius] yelled the first part, before continuing the rest in a normal tone.

 

 

“God damn it old man! If you startle me into overloading a Rune again, I am going to chuck it at your face before it explodes.” Gabriel complained, putting his heart back in his chest as it nearly exploded out of it.

 

 

Gabriel usually had great situational awareness but when he was focusing on engraving Runes. A slight mistake could ruin the hole Rune and even the item your putting it on. It took full attention, leading to [Manius] being able to sneak up on him. Gabriel still had the muscle reflex and memories of his previous life. Where anyone who managed to sneak up without him noticing was inches away from driving a blade into his back.

 

 

“Haha. It is a right of passsage for us [Runesmith]. My Master used to do it to me two. I had no eyebrows because of exploding Runes for the first six months of learning. Now, settle your panties. I have some amazing news for you regarding your reward.” [Manius] said, taking a stool next to Gabriel.

 

 

Gabriel perked up at the word ‘Reward”.

 

 

“So, I went to one of friends into the Imperial Palace, he is a [Baron] himself and orders stock for the military. As I was talking to him about your feats and an appropriate Reward. [Master Alchemist Archomedus] has just walked around the corner from the First Prince’s room. He had heard your name and said you had helped him too. [Archomedus] seem to have quite the good impression of you. He asked me to tell him of what you had recently done at Eagle’s Peak and how you saved my little girl. [Archomedus] said you deserve something great as a reward but something that will be advantageous for you for a long time.” [Manius] explained the whole situation and after taking a swig out of a flagon he pulled out, [Manius] continued.

 

 

 

“Now, [Archomedus] told me to bring you back in two hours and that he should be finished organising your reward by then. As he needed to talk to the [Imperial Chancellor] first. Lad, I don’t know if you know how high up the [Imperial Chancellor] is but he is the left hand of the Emperor. Handling all administrative matters of the whole Imperium Empire, he has immense power over everything excluding the military and even there he would still have some pull. A reward that needs him to sign off on, is bound to be amazing. So, get your lazy ass up and let’s go!” [Manius] shouted in excitement. With his cheery smile it appeared that he was the one getting rewarded and not Gabriel.

 

 

Gabriel was a just as excited too, he was just a little stunned. He knew that rewards could double or evolved depending on numerous factors in D.O. But Gabriel had been so focused on following other people’s accomplishments from his previous life, that he was already expecting a certain outcome.

 

 

Remembering that the Players who completed these Quests last time were all different and it all wasn’t done by the same person and so early in time. So many things were bound to change. Gabriel couldn’t go on expecting a certain result anymore and must be ready for the changes he has brought to the new timeline.

 

 

With a new frame of mind making him feel slightly freer. His steps felt lighter as he followed [Manius] into a carriage. Gabriel had been bogged down by following others footsteps, he had half forgotten about the reason he loved this Game in his past. It was the freedom to make your own choices, there was no set path you had to take.

 

 

After a thirty-minute carriage ride, they were stopped at the portcullis to enter the Imperial Palace. After getting out of the carriage with [Manius], Gabriel took in the sight before his eyes.

 

 

The Imperial Palace wasn’t just for the Emperor and his family. It was truly massive and covered enough are to be a District all on it’s on. It ahd multiple buildings beside the main palace. Like a barracks and training ground for the Imperial Guards. Stables filled with the finest horses and even a Royal Aviary that held [Griffens] for the Air-Based corps of the Imperial Guards.

 

 

The Main Palace was truly giant, looking like a Cathedral of old. With multiple towers and steeples penetrating the sky. It would take somebody starting from one end of the palace, a half a day of solid walking to reach the other end.

 

The Imperial Guards order Gabriel and to remove all weapons and his helmet before being alowed into the palace grounds. He was allowed to keep the rest of his armour but his face must be uncovered in case of needing to be quickly identified. After handing over all his weapons, including the ones in his inventory. Gabriel followed [Manius], who appeared quite knowledgeable about the layout of the Imperial Palace.

 

 

“We can’t go through the main place entryway, as that leads to the throne room and you are only allowed there if summoned or during special assemblies. We will take one of these doorways on the left, they lead to the Administrative departments of the Imperial Palace.” [Manius] explained as they made their way over to a separate entrance.

 

 

They entered a wide reception hall, with multiple service desks around. They had wooden boards above their heads, declaring what department they were from. [Manius] led Gabriel over the one that read [Alchemy Department] and passed a letter to the scribe behind the desk. After reading the note the scribe talked into a [Transmission Orb] and told them to wait a moment.

 

 

“Ho Ho Ho! Didn’t I say that you had a look of a Hero [Osiris]. I have been brushing up about your recent exploits. I didn't know you had also joined the Imperial Army and on your first outing cleared a Goblin camp and Dungeon. In doing so, you brought back critical information for the Army and the ongoing fight with those wretched [Orcs]. You’re a most remarkable young man, being able to do so much in such a short time since you Travellers appeared in our lands.” [Archomedus] appeared from a side hallway, sounding like Father Christmas with his jolly mood.

 

 

“Hello [Master Archomedus]. I was just lucky again. I also did not fight those battles alone. I had the brave men and women of the Imperial Army by my side.” Gabriel humbly replied with a slight bow of his head.

 

 

“Ahhh, stop with that humble crap. You did well. Just take the compliment lad, you deserve a bit of praise. Now follow me. The [Imperial Chancellor] wants to meet you personally. He is waiting in his office.” [Archomedus] chastised before grabbing Gabriel by the shoulder and half pulling him down the hall.

 

 

[Manius] seemed hesitant and took a large nervous gulp when told they would be meeting the [Imperial Chancellor]. He followed along behind Gabriel and [Archomedus] with nervous steps and constantly patted his clothes to try to appear more presentable.

 

 

They shortly arrived at a solid oak door at the end of a connecting hall. Two Imperial Guards were standing on either side. With sharp eyes, they assessed the people approaching. Gauging them not as threats for the moment, their eyes continued to roam everywhere else. They must have been notified before-hand, as [Archomedus] walked past without saying anything and opened the door himself.

 

 

When Gabriel entered, he checked out his suroundings. The office was quite large with two comfy looking couches and a table for seating guest. At the back end held a large oppulent desk, with two high back guest chairs in front. An old man with combed back silvery hair and a neatly trimmed beard was sitting behind the desk, going through stacks of documents.

 

 

The office was complete with a large wall of bookshelves near an open fire place, a large reading chair faced the fire. The old man looked up briefly at the trio who just entered and swept a hand in silence to the couches.

 

 

[Manius] and Gabriel sat on one couch and [Archomedus] sat on another. The trio didn’t talk and just waited for the old man to address them. One it looked like he had finished his current document, the old mand put the paper on a stack of many others.

 

 

“[Osiris] please come have a seat over here.” The old man, looked at Gabriel and gestured for him to take on of the chairs in front of his desk.

 

 

 

Gabriel got up and did a slight bow in response before moving to the guest chair and sat down. The old man didn’t say anything for a while and just stared at Gabriel with his fingers in a tent position under his chin. Gabriel didn’t say anything and just stared back, not in defiance but not in deference either. He remembered the [Imperial Chancellor] in his past life and the few people who met him always said, ‘You have to have a mix of showing respect but also not looking like a push over as well’.

 

 

 

The [Imperial Chancellor] nodded after five minutes of staring and broke out a gentle smile. Easing the mood of the whole room instantly, as [Manius] was sweating bullets and looked slightly pale.

 

 

“Hello young man. I am the [Imperial Chancellor Mechalidus] you can address me as [Chancellor]. I have read about your exploits and actions recently. I don’t know if it is your luck or you’re doing it on purpose but all your actions seemed to be in the benefit of the Imperium Empire. I have also received a report from [Sergeant Brutus] and he has already praised you as a future commander of an [Imperial Legion].” The [Chancellor] explained while pulling out a stack of papers that had “[Osiris]” written on the top of them.

 

 

You can never underestimate the information gathering powers of the NPC kingdoms in D.O. It will be a couple of years before the major Guilds will come close to wielding power on par with the current Kingdoms.

 

 

“Now after reviewing your deeds and talking with [Archomedus]. The reward I have decided on will be two-fold. One you will be given the official Noble title of [Baron] in the Imperium Empire. To be a [Baron] in the Imperium Army you need to be a landed noble, which comes to your second reward. You will be given the Barony of Eagle’s Peak. It is a small piece of land that encompasses the small village at the base of the mountain and about 100 kilometers of the surrounding land.” The [Chancellor] declared, handing over an official document for Gabriel to sign with a Map of the Imperium Empire.

 

 

The map encompassed a general layout of the Baronies of the Imperium and part was circled in ink around the Barony of Eagle Peak. Gabriel kept his face neutral even though inside he was frolicking in happiness. Even with the knowledge, that one of the main reasons he was given a noble title and land was to chain him to the Imperium Empire.

 

 

But that didn't bother him, as Gabriel didn’t plan to leave any time soon. He would need to get close to Level 50 before he could head to the Sarragos Kingdom and take on the corrupted [Pharoah] and [Medjay].

 

 

Gabriel read through the document, declaring his formal titling and declaration of his loyalty to the Imperium Empire. After signing Gabriel received a notification window.

 

 

[Congratulations Player [Osiris]! You have been awarded the title of [Baron] - You will now receive 5% discount on all Imperium based stores. The title of [Baron] also gives you the right to build a barracks on your lands. The barracks may hold up to 100 NPC’s from the Imperial Army upon request. Their pay and lodging will be provided by you. You can increase the numbers of your army by building larger lodgings and hiring fresh recruits. More info on available buildings to construct and costs can be found in your Manor’s office at the Barony of Eagle Peak]

 

 

=======================================================================================

FROM THE AUTHOR: Hi Guys and Dolls! We have hit 50 chapters. I will be going over the previous chapters with a fine toothed comb now. So if you have any suggestions or comment please chuck them my way. The next few chapters will be some base building. I will also be doing a general weekly release scheduled of up to 5 chapters every Thursday and Sunday. If you want to rid ahead, all chapters will be posted ahead of time on my Patreon. If you are enjoying the story don't forget to leave a review or rating. Thanks for everyone following along so far!

22