CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN: MINOKO THE REAVER 
343 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The first thing Gabriel saw emerge through the dense thicket of trees, was a corkscrew shaped white horn. Followed shortly by a large horse's head with a glorious white mane, that glittered in the sun, giving off shades of rainbow-colored light.  The rest of horse appeared in full view, with a smiling, gleeful Mouse riding bareback atop it. A crossbow lock and loaded in one hand and the other held high, waving with vigor.  

 

“Guys! Check out my mount! HaHaHa!” Mouse exclaimed in triumph.  

 

After Mouse's bellow, the ambushers awoke from their stupor. All seven of their eyes flashed with greedy glints at the sight of Mouse’s mount, but Gabriel, [Phat Cat], and [T] took full advantage of the moment of surprise that halted them. Gabriel's raised khopesh and continued its shortly paused journey and struck down like lightning. The injured warrior's head was decapitated in an instant, sending it flying through the air. [Phat Cat] took the time to cast her thunder-powered spell, which she successfully chained to hit the two archer elves in the back. [T] launched a [Shield Slam] against one of the two attackers who had previously confronted him. Knocking the dwarf unconscious and severing the arm of a human wielding a great hammer next to him.  

 

Mouse unloaded his cross bow at pointblank range at a Northmen spear wielder, while continuing his charge into the middle of the fight. His glossy white Unicorn lowered its head, the horn leading the charge now. A human female in full plated armour, was standing in its direct path, she had a large iron greatshield held at the ready. With her shoulder tucked behind it to brace herself. Gabriel noticed the oncoming collision, he pulled out one of his throwing axes from its bandolier and threw it with as much force as he could. The axe twirled in the air for a moment, before slamming into the right shoulder of the shield wielder. The impact made the shield dip down and her balance became shaky. A moment later a spiraled horn speared through her armored chest and sent her flying when Mouse pulled his unicorn to a sudden halt. 

 

[T] finished off the one-armed human first before making short work of the stunned dwarf. Gabriel charged over to the two shocked and smoking archers, slicing them into ribbons. Mouse shot another crossbow bolt at the mage he shot first, leaving only the critically injured female knight, who had begun to drink a health potion but was swiftly interrupted by another lightning bolt from [Phat Cat]. Once the party finished the ambushers, the three circled around the new arrival. Mouse sat proudly atop his mount, while the others were shooting him looks of questioning awe.  

 

“Mouse! How the hell did you get a fudging Unicorn?” [T] questioned in a shout.  

 

“It was awesome, first I had to meet this old trol... Well... I... Oh damn. I'm not supposed to say. It’s a secret from my goddess, she said I can’t tell anyone yet.” Mouse lamented, as he started and stopped his story multiple times.  

 

 

Mouse appeared to be slightly possessed, as he kept trying to tell them and then telling himself to be quiet. Gabriel finally couldn’t help and with a stifled laugh, decided to put Mouse out of his misery.  

 

“It’s alright Mouse. We understand. Just remember to save the footage and when you have permission from your goddess, we will all watch your adventure together.” Gabriel promised, trying his best to cheer up the now down trodden Mouse.  

 

“Yeah Mouse. We can all watch it at my house, we will get snacks, popcorn and drinks. So, don’t worry about it. Now, [Osiris]. Are you heading to Roma? [T] and I are heading back after a fetch quest. What about you Mouse?” [Phat Cat] asked, doing her best to derail Mouse’s mind.  

 

“Yeah, I’m heading back now, meeting a friend who just arrived in Roma and picking up supplies for the village.” Gabriel answered.  

 

“I was actually about to head back to the inn in Roma, I need to log off, as I am visiting Grandma at hospital.” Mouse replied, the side tracking attempt appearing to have work.  

 

[T] ran around and looted the Player Killer ambushers, while [Phat Cat] was patting the Unicorn. Once [T] was done and split the small number of looted coins between each other, Gabriel looked around, finally noticing the pairs lack of mounts.  

 

“Hey guys, do you have Mounts yet?” Gabriel asked the pair.  

 

“Nah, we are both saving up at the moment. We are all trying to make playing D.O as our primary income and it might take just a little longer but were almost there.” [Phat Cat] said, giving off a slightly proud smile as she patted [T] slightly on the back.  

 

“Awesome, well with the raid tomorrow at [Baroness Mengrel], there should be some great loot and rewards in general, that should help things along. For now, why don’t Mouse and I take one of you each and we will head back on our mounts together? It’ll be quicker.” Gabriel offered.  

 

“That will be great. Thanks [Osiris]!” [Phat Cat] accepted the offer before [T] could give a response.  

 

[Phat Cat] held out her hand to Gabriel. Clearly asking for him to help her atop his mount, completely ignoring the shiny eyed Unicorn, that most young women, and men for that matter would want to ride first. Gabriel gave her a smile along with a firm grip, he pulled her up and behind him on [Alastor].  

 

A pair of unhesitant arms, snaked themselves around Gabriel’s waist, as [T] got up behind Mouse and very hesitantly put his arms on Mouse’s shoulders. With a scrunched face and a look at envy in Gabriel’s direction, [T] was forced to hold on to Mouse’s waist as well when he took off a fast gallop, almost unseating him. 

 

 

“Last one to Roma, is a stinky goblin!” Mouse taunted back at the stationery pair.  

 

“Go [Osiris]!” [Phat Cat] shouted, giving Gabriel a little pinch on his hard stomach.  

 

Gabriel chuckled as he slammed his heels into [Alastor's] side and the two of them bolted after the unicorn. [Alastor] must have sensed the competitive energy in the air because he immediately began chewing up the ground at the fastest rate Gabriel had ever seen him go. The stallion's powerful lungs worked in overdrive, as the sides of its stomach rose like bellows. Gabriel and [Phat Cat] were beginning to close the distance, when the sight of Roma’s tall walls came into view over the next rise.  

 

Players walking along the roads, watched the pair of racing horses as they sped past. The black slowly gaining on the white. Most people only had eyes for Mouse’s Unicorn though and let out expletives of “Lucky bastard has a unicorn.” 

 

“Go [Alastor]! You’re not going to let some snobby unicorn beat you, are you!?” [Phat Cat] taunted.  

 

The horse let out a loud neigh, as it shook its silvery mane, in what was clearly a firm no. The horses were now neck and neck, as they came to the last stretch before the entrance gate of Roma. Gabriel matched eyes with Mouse and noticed a sly glint pass over his eyes accompanied by a confident grin. Mouse muttered something that was lost in the loud sounds of the horse's hooves pounding the ground. The last thing Gabriel saw was Mouse giving him an over exaggerated wink before the Unicorn turned into a flash of rainbow colored light. With both riders appearing suddenly next to the two guards at the entrance of the north gate. Mouse threw his hands in the air triumphantly.  

 

“We win!!!” Mouse declared.  

 

[T] had a slightly lost look on his face as Gabriel approached them both, slowing down [Alastor] down to a trot then a walk.  

 

“Mouse, what the hell was that? It felt like we teleported.” [T] asked the still cheering Mouse.  

 

“It’s my Mount’s skill, apparently I can unlock two more skills once I level her up.” Mouse replied to [T] once he stopped his little celebration.  

 

Gabriel was about to ask another question, when he caught the sight of players they previously passed, making their way back towards them. All of them appeared to be pointing to Mouse’s unicorn and chattering.  

 

“Mouse, we should dismount here. Let your unicorn flee so we can head inside un bothered. Unless of course you want to be trampled by all the people trying to find out how you got her, or just straight up trying to steal it.” Gabriel advised.  

 

Mouse turned to where Gabriel was looking and noticed the rabid looking mob of players heading his way. Giving a quick nod, the group dismounted their horses. Gabriel gave a hand to [Phat Cat] who slid down with all the grace of someone experienced with riding show horses. She gave Gabriel a smile and squeeze on the arm as thanks before taking the lead to head past the gate guards. The Guards even gave the unicorn an appreciative glance, they were intrigued but not to bothered. Being natives to Valhalla and the Imperium, they would have seen all sorts of mounts, including the powerful Griffin division of the Imperial army.  

 

The three men followed behind the quickly moving [Phat Cat] and soon lost their pursuers after taking several turns through the densely populated streets of the city. Mouse bid farewell first before hurrying off to his inn, while Gabriel accompanied the other two towards the merchant district. They eventually split off from Gabriel too, [Phat Cat] and [T] were heading towards the Player Bazaar to offload some of their loot. Saying goodbye and promising to meet at dawn the following day for the raid with the Imperium army, Gabriel made his way toward Draganov’s shop/fence.  

 

Sending off a quick Private Message to Minoko about where she could find him and instructions on how to get there. When Gabriel walked into the shop, he noticed a couple of Players looking around, their faces scrunched up in bewilderment at the odd assortment of items. The trio muttered a little too loudly to themselves. Their grumbles reverberated through the quiet shop, reaching the ears of the already frowning Northmen shopkeeper. Draganov was giving the trio a murderous glare when he heard the muttered words "piece of shit," and he rose from his seat, fully ready to do violence. Gabriel let out a small cough, which drew the attention of the large bear-like man just as he was about to make the Player's vanish. 

 

“Haha! My little brother has returned. Words of your triumphs gave reached my ears. Should I start calling you little Baron now!?” Draganov bellowed with a grin. 

  

With his attention shifted to Gabriel, the previous soon to be murdered trio, let out small breaths in relief and high tailed it out of the shop. 

 

“Don’t come back until you fix those eyes of yours ya little gutter worms!” Draganov roared at the fleeing group.  

 

“Can you believe that [Osiris]!? Those little shits don’t know nothing about nothing.” Draganov let out a little indignant huff before continuing “Anyways, my little lord brother, what has bought you to my fine shop of goodies today?” Draganov exclaimed, sitting behind the counter again with hands spread.   

 

“Take no notice of the fools Draganov, they might come in here and snatch one of your treasures without even knowing how truly great it is.” Gabriel replied, as he walked over to a weapon rack holding polearms of all different kinds.  

 

“Draganov, do you have any weapons, preferably, throw or long weapon like a spear that is made out of unique materials?” Gabriel asked, while inspecting the spears and javelins on the rack.  

 

Being intentionally vague, Gabriel waited for Draganov to mull over the question before giving a nod.  

 

“I think I do at that lad. My boys and I have been all across the Valhalla’s many seas, rivers and waterways. We have “picked up” many odd weapons and equipment in general over the years. Just give me a moment to look in the back.” Draganov replied, putting two fingers in the air when he said “Picked up”.  

 

Giving a wave in acceptance, Gabriel continued to look through the assortment. Before Draganov could return Gabriel heard the sound of the front door opening and peered out of the corner of his eye at the new entry. Eyes widened in slight surprise; Gabriel saw a Leathered armoured Dark elf Minoko enter the shop. Gabriel wasn’t too surprise by the race choice but was shocked to see Minoko had two scimitars strapped to her back., along with the bulkiest leather armour he had ever seen.  

 

“[Osiris], I have arrived. I ordered a few things for the village after asking around, you will need to pay for them first before they can be delivered though. I do not have one piece of coin on me at the moment.” Minoko declared in her drawl voice.  

 

Gabriel nodded in appreciation of her remembering to use his Deliverance Online name and not his IRL one. Deciding to use her not very creative in game name as well, Gabriel replied. “No problem, [Mino].” 

 

With a shake and silent chuck Gabriel decided to skip past the boring name and onto more important things. 

 

“[Mino] what is with your armour and weapons? I thought you would choose Rogue as your beginner class? You are wearing a set of novice goods I have not seen before. What are you?” Gabriel queried, but before he could get an answer from Minoko, the sound of Draganov putting a bunch of items on the counter interrupted her.  

 

“Here you go little brother, all the long based and thrown weapons made with strange material I have. Don’t mind the dust, some of these have been here for yea.. Well butter my ass.” Draganov cursed when he finally looked up from the weapons and saw Minoko.  

 

Draganov walked around the counter and approached the pair by the front door. Taking stock of Minoko, Draganov had a smile of appreciation on his face as he nodded at her get up.  

 

“You’re a Reaver! Aren’t ya girl? Not many Dark elf Reavers around but the life does attract all sorts. Welcome to the club!” Draganov declared, holding out his giant hand toward Minoko.  

 

“It is a pleasure to join. My name is [Mino].” Minoko replied, giving Draganov a handshake.  

 

“Ha! Polite little thing, not many of those type of Reavers either. Does come in handy though, you usually need one of ye raiding or thieving crew to be able to talk to the guards! Ha!” Draganov chuckled, before walking back to his spot behind the counter and waving at the pair to join him.  

 

Gabriel took stock of the assortment of weapons on the counter. They were a wide range, with all being odd sizes and shapes. Some of the weapons Gabriel had to smack the thick carpet of dust off to have a look. Spending fifteen minutes inspecting the weapons thoroughly without finding the one he was looking for, until Gabriel finally came upon an overly large pike. The pike was at least 9 feet long. Its handle was made with what appeared to be a sharp onyx type rock, giving it a slick black but glassy look. The strangest part of the weapon though was the spear head. It looked to be made of multiple horns, all carved and shaped into a single point sharp point. The weapon looked nice but gave off a very fragile feeling.  

 

Gabriel picked up the pike and looked at the notification after using [Inspect Lvl 2].  

 

[Herder’s Spear of Purity (Rare) Req. LVL 10 - Str 15] 

  • Damage 5-10 (piercing) 

Special Effects:  

  • 2000% Increased Damage vs Corrupted life forms 
  • Shatters on impact and multiplies base attack damage by number of shards penetrating target. 
  • Blessed by the Three Moon Goddesses  

 

What do you want with that ugly thing [Osiris]?” Minoko interrupted Gabriel’s almost creepy caressing of the spear. 

 

Snapping out of his stupor, Gabriel gave a sheepish smile and turned to Draganov.  

“How much for this spear boss?” Gabriel asked, gently laying the spear on the counter. 

 

Draganov scratched his head, as he looked at the spear, then pulled out a massive book from the counter. The book gave off the smell of sea when Draganov began to turn the pages. Muttering “Spear of Purity under his breath repeatedly, while dragging his finger down the page in search of a certain entry.  

 

“Ah! Here it is. It looks like we got the spear while raiding... ahhh... I mean we bought it, yes, we bought it at some weird temple near the Northlands. It was the temple of the three Goddesses of the Moon or some such shite. Anyways, we lost no men during the... purchase and sold pretty much everything else. I can you let it have it at Kin cost of 10 Gold. How does that sound?” Draganov offered.  

 

What a god damning steal!’ Gabriel shouted gleefully in his mind.  

 

“Deal. Here you go.” Gabriel declared, quickly handing over the coins and placing the spear in his inventory.  

 

Minoko gave Gabriel a raised brow at his odd behaviors but didn’t see anything. The pair bid their farewells to the Northmen, with Minoko promising to return to Draganov once she hit Level 10 to get some [Reaver] unique skills from him. Gabriel followed Minoko around to the shops she previously ordered supplies from and paid for everything before heading out the North Gate again. Gabriel began to offer Minoko a hand after summoning [Alastor], but realised it was unnecessary because her clearly toned physique allowed her to jump up and into the saddle with ease. 

 

The two set off back towards Babylon, as Gabriel began to fill Minoko on more details and things he planned to do soon in game.  Gabriel dearly needed new steward and spymaster informed him of a couple of things happening IRL. When the pair had just reached half way back to his village, Gabriel received a PM, that instantly brought a smile to his face when he read the name.  

 

[SuperDad, has sent you a private message. Access it via your player Inbox] 

13