Chapter 23: A Runaway
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The carriage shook as it traveled through the rocky road. Fayette was sleeping on the cushion right next to where I was sitting. Alberto was looking out of the window, trapped in his own head. I sat on the seat opposite of Alberto, trapped in my own as well. What is Chelsea doing in Blackburn? Did the cult bring her there? Why would the guild master give me this information? Who is he? Possible scenarios and thoughts ran through my mind, until the carriage started shooking more violently, startling me out of my own head.

“Sorry, hit a pretty big pebble,” said the horse driver as the carriage kept on moving. 

I looked out of the window to clear my thoughts. The road was filled with trees on the side. It had only been about three hours since we left Lunae Lumen, yet the city was nowhere to be seen. There were deers with strange blue spots on their body, what could they be? 

“Glowing deers!” Fayette said as she flew towards the window. She couldn’t stop in time however and slammed her body against the clear window. I could see a smile on Alberto's face as she did that, he looked less gloomy than before. I didn’t even notice when Fayette woke up, but she seemed much happier than before, maybe it was because we were getting away from the ocean, where she was held by Stratford. Stratford, next time I see you, I will make sure you won’t ever escape. I had a feeling that I was going to run into the cult more frequently now. I must be ready, Keres! The one who took Vesper! I need to be stronger to face them. 

“What’s your story, Ivo? Why do you want to go to Cevine?” asked Alberto. My face tensed up from the question. Maybe I should tell him, he doesn’t mean any harm, he did save me quite a few times. After thinking that, I was still a bit uncomfortable with saying my past. But I did it anyway. 

“Remember that cult, or religion, or whatever they call themselves, at the Norone Festival?”  I started speaking, picking my head up to face his sharp face. He nodded. “Yeah, they attacked a mercenary group that I was a part of…No, they attacked my family, and captured two of my friends.” 

“I see, and one of them is in Blackburn?” Asked Alberto. I showed him the note that Zelgan gave me, he glanced at it and nodded. “Looks like we are both looking for family, what a coincidence.” Fayette sat down, listening attentively to our conversation.

“What about you, who are you looking for?” I asked Alberto, he sat there in silence for a while, then started speaking up. He closed his eyes, as he started to tell his story. 

“Decimus isn’t my real last name. It is…was Grenyer, a noble last name in the country of Breta.” He took a long pause again, and lowered down his head, reminiscing the past. 

Alberto was 17 when he woke up on his huge bed in his fancy noble mansion. The mansion was filled with chandeliers, paintings, and decorations on every surface of the walls. He was supposed to have a lesson with his politics instructor that morning, so he hurried and put on his clothes. There was a knock on the door of his room, as a female voice spoke out from the other side. 

“Master Alberto, are you awake?” The maid said from the outside of his room. 

“Why yes I am, tell the instructor that I will be there soon,” Alberto said to his maid as he put on his clothes. 

“The Lord, your father, had moved the lesson to the garden, please meet with the instructor there.” The garden? Why not the hall where we usually have that lesson? Alberto thought to himself.
“I will be there!” Said Alberto, and the maid left him alone. He finished putting on his shiny golden clothes made with fine silk with a medal that held the crest of House Grenyer. 

Alberto walked outside of his room, but not to the garden right away. He can tolerate a few minutes late. He felt like his father was hiding something from him, so he started to head for the main hall. When he arrived at the main hall, he saw his father and a man dressed in a captain uniform drinking together. They were discussing politics, environment, science, magic, and things that Alberto deemed boring. Maybe he is just meeting an old friend, Alberto thought to himself. As he was about to leave, an interesting topic piqued Alberto’s ears as the conversation shifted to slavery. 

“I know it’s rude to get to business so abruptly, but I don’t have much time. I know your family is struggling economically from all of the lavish feasts and entertainment that you have. Your subjects are angry, a rebellion is brewing, you need money. Now, money I have, and you have what I want. Your daughter for 10000 Hydras, that’s my offer.” The man in the captain's suit said, changing the topic of the conversation. Alberto then leaned more in at the mention of his sister. The Lord thought to himself for quite a while, then closed his eyes as he nodded. The man in the captain's suit widened his hazel eyes and stood up, revealing his golden badge decorated with Owl’s Wings on it. 

“Well, then I will send people to get her, thank you for your time, Duke Grenyer. If you ever need me, just send an owl to Dugel Stratford.” He walked himself out of the main hall. Alberto couldn’t believe what he heard from his father. He ran out to confront his father.

“You sold Lyss to a slaver!? What is WRONG with you!?” He yelled out as he confronted his father. 

“You weren’t supposed to hear that, son.” Lord Grenyer said, trying to hide his face. Alberto's head almost exploded after he heard that, he slammed the table next to him.

“How dare you? How dare you call me your son after you sold YOUR OWN DAUGHTER?” Alberto said, demanding an answer from his father. 

“I did what I had to do, for the family!” The Lord stood up, raising his voice while facing Alberto. 

“She IS your family, your blood, and you sold her, for a chum of coins.” Alberto turned around, trying to hold himself back from throwing a punch at his father. 

“10000 Hydras is 10000 Hydras, it will solve all the problems that we have. I would sell you, your mother, OR your brother for 10000 Hydras. When you succeed me as the next Duke Grenyer, you will understand, and so will your children. This is for House Grenyer.” The Lord yelled at Alberto. In his rage, Alberto held his head in his hand. After arguing for a while, Alberto stood in front of his father. He stormed back into his room, leaving his father in the main hall. He took a pair of daggers engraved with runes that were with him, a gift from the imperial family members of Breta themselves. He reached to his chest, took out the pin with the crest of his family, threw it on the ground, and stepped on it.

“I am sorry, mother. Forgive me, brother, but today, I am no longer of house Grenyer. Sister, I will protect you from harm.” 

 

Alberto looked back up to my face. So that is his personal feud with Stratford. He looked sad and angry. He was clenching his fist tightly until it almost bled, swearing that he would be the person who killed Stratford. But why did he not mention that he tried to stop Stratford from taking her? Then I reflected on myself. Maybe he did. Maybe that’s how he ended up on that ship. He did not seem like he wanted to talk about it anymore, so I didn’t ask any further. Fayette was on the verge of tears, trying to hold herself back. Alberto reached into his pocket and threw me the note that Zelgan gave him. 

                                     Your daggers might be in Blackburn

                        Lyss is now in Cevine, sold to a noble in discreet

                                        Your father is hunting you down

 

“So yes, Ivo, I will be coming to Cevine with you.” Said Alberto in determination.

1