CH. 16 – Vigilante spree
200 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moon shined above me, I’m by the window an hour near midnight about to fly to the roof. ‘It’s time to purge some criminals!’ I wore the all-black vigilante costume I just bought. I fly from the window with the [String Manipulation] skill and get a bird's eye view of the city below. Now, if I have night vision that'd be great! ‘Note to self: Buy night vision goggles.’ I jumped rooftop to rooftop with the parkour skill I learned in a gym—not a quirk gym too expensive for those—and [String Manipulation] to control my clothes so I fly in case I can't reach the platforms, no falling into a dumpster needed… ever.

I got far from home, leaping from roof to roof or flying. I had slowed down since I reached the place where the internet—sometimes the news—reported common criminal activity like thievery, robbery, larceny, drugs, drunks, violence, and—in rare times—murder. I found three thugs strolling in an alley. I can see that two of them have a mutant quirk. Both of them are aquatic-type mutant quirk, a hammerhead, and a narwhale. ‘Almost saw him as a unicorn.’ The one in the middle looks out of place between those two, he looks like an everyday street thug, with a black leather jacket and all, except for the gills at his neck. I’m close enough to them to hear their voices.
­
“How much did you two sell this month?”

“We sold nine.”

“That low? I sold six. we’re under the quota.”

“With a detective snooping around? Yeah right.”

“It’s been a month! He’s still here!?”

“Someone from our rival gang got caught by him.”

“They’re dead for sure. They can’t even lie.”

The conversation stalled a bit, then they continued, “How much left?”

“Twelve.”

“I’ll try to sell them to other’s territory.”

“Don’t get caught by the other gangs.”

“We’ll meet here at the end of the month to combine our earnings and I buy a stock of it.”

“Got it.”

They all left the alley and went their separate ways.

‘That was something. There would be more criminals If they led me to their den. I’ll fight some street thugs for now.’

*ding*

«
New Mission!
Title: Pruning Weeds
Desc: Destroy the source of the drugs.
Reward: Upgradation of [String Manipulation] skill.
»

‘Oh? An upgrade! Sweet!’

Wow, finding criminals is harder than I thought! Those animes made it look easy to stumble into one. Is it a good thing I don’t have the protagonist’s bad luck? After half an hour of finding my target, I finally found some. Only four… trying to rob a jewelry store… but—but— all right, I can’t help to laugh at them. I mean come on! They’re trying to get inside the store with! A! Hammer! A good jewelry store would’ve had bulletproof glass installed and by the looks of them banging their hammers multiple times non-stop, I took a shot and guess this one too. After laughing at them for a full minute I got into action.

Two possible mutants, a green lizard with purplish hair and a dog of the Akita species wearing a belt with knives over his shoulder. The other two, a man with red eyes and a woman with… spatulas…? As her hands? What the heck! How does she hold anything!? HOW! Quirks are weird. I land at their back and greeted them, “Lovely night we’re having.” I touch Red Eye’s back.

Two of them froze in surprise while the one whose back I touched jumped in the air. Dog Head, unsurprised, grabbed a knife and threw it at me. I dodge it by hiding behind Red Eyes. “Woof!” shouted Dog Head to get some sense back to his comrade. With that, the other three focused on me.

I side-punched Red Eye on his stomach side and with [String Manipulation], I made him fly and slammed him to Spatula Hands. Both of them flew to the end of the street and knocked them to a wall. “Twas good seeing ya!” I blocked Dog Head’s vision with [Hinder Sense]. A kick came my way from Lizard and blocked it. I then turned my block into a grab and threw him to the knocked-out two with [String Manipulation]. I huffed and walked to the punching-the-air Dog Head and punched him and by using [String Manipulation] also bashed him to the same wall as the three thieves.

Using [String Manipulation] after I pounced on them will make the others—police, heroes, detectives, other criminals—thought I had a strength enhancement quirk like All Might.

“Huh… that was quick.” I tied them up with zip ties and then called 110 to report the attempted robbery with my deep voice. I fly away from the crime scene whilst cringing that I had used my deep voice to report to the police.

‘What time is it?’ I looked at the watch I wore under my garment. ‘Sh*t! four past fifty! I’ll buy three coffees on the way home. At this rate, I’ll be the second coming of Aizawa-sensei.’

~ Aizawa’s PoV ~

*Sneezes*

‘I need sleep’ I told myself while holding a coffee cup and looking at a cartoon-like human-sized hole on the wall and four people wrapped up in zip ties on its side. I responded to the Hero Network with my earpiece after interrogating the criminals, “The attempted robbery has been concluded.” Then I called Naomasa Tsukauchi, “We got ourselves a new vigilante.” I heard the groan on the other side. ‘Me too… Me… too….’

I’m combining special missions with missions as it’s kinda the same anyway and gonna get mixed up a lot if I didn’t.

~~~

I am on Patreon! patreon.com/revonzev

Read up to ten chapters ahead, vote for the world or skills he got or etc, Q&As, read deleted chapters, and even request art from my chapters' scenes!

5