CHAPTER 42: THE HIGHLIGHT TRINITY
9 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trial was so tedious, tiring and often irritating that by the end of it, Serego could barely remember all that happened during this farce. There were really two stand-out moments the memory of which he would carry for a while, both including his former classmates on the witness stand.

Saya was the next-to-last person to be questioned by the prosecutor chosen for the trial, who in this case was the district attorney herself, Antonia Cavars. Mrs. Cavars was a woman in her fifties who had managed to keep a more youthful appearance by unknown means and who exuded a thousand times more dominance than her opponent could ever dream of achieving. Hikaru, Seiren, Graid, Iziya and Rose had already been put through a trial by fire orchestrated by the prosecutor, the head of the Summerbolt family being left for last among them as her offenses were the most grievous of her group.

As Saya took the stand, the father of her son’s rival didn’t notice a shred of concern or fear on her face – she appeared fully adamant, much more than any of those before her – as the district attorney started the torture session. Mrs. Summerbolt was more adamant than even Serego, who had been masking his emotions since the beginning of the trial, as in reality he was extremely worried at that point.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-Mrs. Summerbolt, as you’re well aware, you stand accused of the same crimes as your son, Hikaru, and Seiren Blackscale, who were on the stand before you. The difference is that unlike your son, who only went above the 100% limit he was allowed to use during the Class Battle, you first violated the law stating a deviant can only use 15% of their deva unless under extreme circumstances. And while the property damage done to Nebula by Mr. Blackscale was more limited, the destruction you caused went even beyond the borders of the park, threatening civilian lives in Deckstoru. (Saya was getting ready to say something in response to that, but the attorney gave her no air to breathe, continuing with the psychological onslaught) I suppose your argument in defense of such violations would be that the circumstances were indeed extreme as you were trying to stop a great threat – Ukris Nightsong. (the attorney now went back to her table so her assistant could hand her a piece of paper from one of the folders left there) I would like to use exhibit H to support the following claims, your honor.’

She paused for a moment and as Serego expected, the judge gave her permission.

(The Judge) ‘-Proceed.’

The attorney now looked at the paper in her hands, starting to read aloud.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-This is an excerpt from the testimony of Ukris Nightsong herself, extracted during her trial from two days ago. And I quote: ‘-My sole target were the members of the Summerbolt family and their allies, namely all members of Earthling Class #1. No one else was to get hurt during the operation in Nebula led by me.’ (she put the paper away, turning her attention to the defendant again) Words Mrs. Nightsong did act on as all of us here are aware that the entirety of the destruction unleashed by her and the forces under her command took place within the bounds of Nebula. (the attorney pointed at Saya now while looking at the jury – the ones she really needed to convince) Meanwhile, Mrs. Summerbolt here, the ‘hero’ of these latest events, threatened much more than the park designated for the Class Battle. There are witnesses that can attest to that, which I will call inside in due time, so they themselves can explain the suffering they endured due to this woman’s actions.’

Serego clenched his fists when he heard that, hoping no one would notice as they wouldn’t notice Saya had done the same thing, the subtle twitch of her shoulders giving her away in the eyes of the man who knew her well.

Seiren’s father had studied every single piece of information related to the battle of Nebula and its effects in preparation for the trial and had found the following: if anyone in Deckstoru had been affected by the solar fires started by Saya, it was only from the minimal amount of smoke that had reached the city before the fires were put out. Such low quantities of smoke could do nothing more than make people cough a few times and would only affect people with respiratory diseases more seriously, but even to them the smoke’s effect would not be fatal.

Without a doubt the witnesses the attorney was going to bring in, however, would rave about the imaginary horrors they had had to go through because of Saya’s flames and could possibly have fake injuries to further convince the jury and the judge of the truthfulness of their accusations. Using such an approach was not surprising, really, as this trial had been rigged to ensure the Summerbolt old dogs and the brats would all go to prison in due time.

The ordinari in charge couldn’t possibly allow something like this to pass without punishment. After what had happened people with devas everywhere would think that if this group could use their abilities beyond the limits decreed by law with no consequences, so could anyone else. So by declaring that going beyond the limit even in an extreme situation is redundant as Antonia Cavars had just suggested, the government would ensure deviants would have no excuse to run rampant with their abilities at any time.

All of them were too narrow-minded to see that using devas beyond a 15% output was often necessary and many lives could be saved if such usage was allowed. Instead they had chosen to knowingly sacrifice those lives by leaving deviants with a minimal power level to avoid an imagined uprising. An uprising that should’ve happened a hundred times by now considering how much they were pushing deva users, but hadn’t and wouldn’t happen now either.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-So tell me, Mrs. Summerbolt, what kind of threat could merit such radical actions on your part?’

Finally Saya was given a chance to speak. And what she was about to say was going to make all the difference.

(Saya) ‘-I am certain that you have all the information from the Nightsongs’ trial, so you know about the output-augmenting devices Ukris had. On top of that, she herself has great stamina and was able to reach a 100% output during our battle in Nebula. Since I am no match for her at a 100% even if I reach the same output, I was forced to go even beyond that. The more power you use, the harder it is to control, however, that leading to the starting of all the fires you mentioned.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-So you needed to beat Mrs. Nightsong. That’s what this is all about.’

She kept up her play, now making the battle of life and death between Saya and Ukris appear as nothing more than a childish squabble. That comment was meant to provoke Hikaru’s mother and Serego noticed that while minimal, there were changes in the fiery mom’s expression.

(Saya) ‘-Everything I did was to protect my family who Ukris was planning to kill when she was done with me.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-With this we reach another key point. Why did you even feel you specifically were the only person who could stop Mrs. Nightsong? (this confused Saya, but to Serego it was obvious what kind of statement would follow) Class Battle observers are to call for help if a student is wounded too grievously or a student breaks the rules of the event and poses a threat to anyone’s safety, as well as in any other scenario outside of what a Class Battle entails. (the attorney went back to her table to look at another document handed out to her, this time not reading it aloud) As I understand it, all of the monitoring equipment and communication devices within the park were destroyed when the attack against you began. Is that correct?’

(Saya) ‘-That is correct.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-And it didn’t cross your mind to send someone away from the park to call for help at this point? (the violent nurse fell completely silent from shock after that question, Serego following the attorney’s reactions as well, noticing that she was trying to hide a smirk of triumph upon witnessing the change in Saya’s expression) A less experienced person may have been too distracted to think about sending someone to call for help after the equipment usually used for that purpose was destroyed. You however were chosen as the chief observer for this Class Battle precisely because you have experience. (the attorney chuckled mockingly now, not even trying to conceal her enjoyment at this point) I find it hard to believe you didn’t think of such an option. Rather, you thought of it, but chose to handle the situation yourself and if that is indeed the case, it only makes matters worse. (now the inquisitor lady stepped closer to the jury, pointing at Saya as she continued speaking with a raised voice) This woman broke the law while being fully aware she had the option not to!’

The time for Serego to raise his voice as well had come as he stepped forward on his stand.

(Serego) ‘-Objection! This is pure conjecture and a poor attempt at psychoanalysis, which I think is not why we’re here!!’

(The Judge) ‘-Sustained. (he looked at Mr. Blackscale only for a moment before looking at Mrs. Cavars again) Continue only with solid evidence.’

The attorney nodded, the tension temporarily being difused. Though Serego knew a comeback was on the way.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-I understand, your Honor. (now she returned to where Saya stood) I believe the defendant herself can provide the evidence needed. Mrs. Summerbolt, did you consider sending anyone to call for help or doing that yourself while you were still fit to do so?’

(Serego) ‘-Objection! Leading the witness!!’

The attorney now looked at Serego and he could tell she was trying to suppress another smirk.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-It’s a simple question.’

(The Judge) ‘-I’ll allow it. Continue.’

The smirk of triumph on the enemy’s face became almost apparent at that point, Serego himself trying to keep his cool. Neana had warned Seiren’s father to control his emotions at all times as otherwise his heartbeat would quicken, pumping more blood throughout his body and risking to disrupt the restructuring performed on him.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-Mrs. Summerbolt?’

It was the first time since she had been called to the stand that Saya looked away. She knew she was guilty of what she was being accused of in this case and Serego couldn’t intervene to help her with anything. The judge was probably of the same opinion as the district attorney in terms of the defendants’ innocence and allowed their lawyer to have his way every now and then only for appearances’ sake. He wouldn’t allow intervention at this point for anyone’s sake, however.

(Saya) ‘-I did.’

Gasping was heard amid the jury, Serego not even turning around to look at them as he could imagine the looks of outrage on their faces at Saya’s audacity to do such a ‘heinous’ thing.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-So you considered the option, but chose to go down the less lawful or rather unlawful path. Correct?’

(Saya) ‘-As chief observer it was my responsibility to assess the situation in the park and act accordingly.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-And you decided that taking care of this matter yourself rather than turning to the proper authorities was the correct course of action?’

(Saya) ‘-I did. (she narrowed her eyes, even from this distance Serego being able to tell the Summerbolt’s counteroffensive in this verbal battle had begun) By the time whoever I sent returned with help while we fought only with the output we’re allowed to use, Ukris would’ve slaughtered everyone in the park. And after having seen what Ukris did in Nebula, I can say that this city’s entire police force would’ve had to be dispatched to the park to stand a chance at stopping her – something none of us could wait for. I have faced her before and the two of us have spent a considerable amount of time together in the past, thus I know how she thinks and how she fights. And I know better than most what she’s capable of. (the intensity of the fiery mom’s stare as she spoke seemed to be affecting the district attorney, because Mrs. Cavars moved a step back on her stand with all the confidence sapped from her face) Had we been faced with anyone else, I would’ve turned to the police. I have always had and always will have the highest regard for the law. Choosing to break it was no easy choice for me. But it was what I considered to be the right choice.’

Judging by her expression, the district attorney hadn’t been expecting a comeback like this. As Serego looked around the hall, he realized that actually no one inside had been expecting Saya to say all those things, even the judge. Being her former classmate, however, Mr. Blackscale expected nothing less from the fiery mom and couldn’t be prouder of her.

(The Judge) ‘-Does the prosecution have any other questions?’

It almost seemed that the attorney was trying to process how real what she had just experienced was, the judge’s question making her come back to her senses, needing to shake her head to complete the process of doing that.

It was Serego who barely managed to suppress a giggle now.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-No further questions, your Honor.’

After the passionate defense by Seiren’s father, the judge announced the decision for the lucky seven hot heads would be announced along with the one for Zoran when his trial is concluded, the focus being shifted to the headmaster. Not long after Mr. Lawell was called to the stand by the district attorney, his former classmate realized the evil lady had actually been saving her strength during the previous trial. She appeared to be much more hell-bent on sending Zoran to prison that she was with any of his predecessors.

Perhaps she was on the Nightsongs' payroll or was connected to the family somehow and they wanted the most grievous punishment for the headmaster as he was the one who had exposed their greatest secrets.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-In the case of Mr. Lawell, we have another example of disregard for the law. Only this disregard was expressed by breaking in private property with no permission. While Mrs. Summerbolt said earlier she broke the law to protect people, I wonder what your excuse is, sir.’

Zoran waited a few moments to make sure the district attorney had nothing to say and then spoke, carrying the same amount of guilt on his face that Saya showed while standing where he stood in the present time.

(Zoran) ‘-My ‘excuse’ is the same as hers. I wanted to uncover what the Nightsong family was planning and to do so, decided to accept the invitation they had extended some time ago to come to their mansion.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-So you’re suggesting what you did is not an example of breaking and entering? (more papers were taken out from one of the folders on her table, Serego already being afraid of what the solid facts written on those papers would reveal) What I hold in my hand is the testimony of the four maids of the Nightsong family and according to it, what you did is exactly breaking and entering. Would you like me to read it?’

(Zoran) ‘-I don’t think that will be necessary. I admit to prying around the house too much and looking for any clues to the location of secret rooms where the intel I was looking for could be hidden. At one point during my search I stumbled upon the door to what appeared to be the mansion’s basement, the maids attacking me when I made that discovery.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-To know that it led to the basement, you needed to have opened the door. Did you do that, sir?’

(Zoran) ‘-I did.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-Were you given permission to do so?’

(Zoran) ‘-No, but …’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-In a situation like this, the maids have the right to protect their employer’s property in their absence according to the law and can even use force while waiting for the police to arrive. You were the one who was in the wrong here, Mr. Lawell. And breaking into the mansion’s basement stands as a crime.’

(Zoran) ‘-I’m not saying that …’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-The evidence you found in the basement was indeed very troubling but wasn’t yours to find in the first place. The correct course of action was to inform the police of whatever suspicions you had about the Nightsongs so a warrant could be issued and an official investigation could be conducted. That is how our system works and cannot break the rules it is based upon simply because of suspicion.’

The judge didn’t even try to intervene when Mrs. Cavars interrupted Zoran twice in a row, the headmaster’s lawyer being able to tell how the scales were further shifting in favor of the prosecution as this trial neared its end.

(Zoran) ‘-That may have been the correct course of action from a legal standpoint, but it wasn’t the best one from my point of view.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-Your excuses indeed parallel those of Mrs. Summerbolt. Do explain.’

(Zoran) ‘-Thank you. (he cleared his throat, probably due to being nervous in Serego’s mind as he watched him) The Nightsongs raised my suspicions from the moment they decided to fund Sunbird High School years ago. Rale and Ukris have been using their wealth and power ever since to twist every aspect of our school’s structure to their liking, without a doubt having something planned for the students. From my observations of Ulura Nightsong’s class, it became evident that plan was to use the school as a platform to search for powerful young deviants prone to violence and displeased with the ordinari rule to recruit in their forces. As headmaster I could never allow the students to be used for such activities, but could not directly oppose Sunbird’s main benefactors without proof of their crimes.’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-And at that point you made it your personal goal to expose them? Did it ever even occur to you to share these problems you were having with the authorities?’

(Zoran) ‘-As I mentioned, the Nightsongs have considerable influence in many circles and I wasn’t certain how far the grasp of that influence extended. I feared members of the police force could also be working with them and sharing my suspicions with them would only put more innocents in danger instead of exposing the actual culprits.’

The attorney sighed while members of the jury gasped for what was probably the thousandth time. Serego was barely being able to stay calm at this point to ensure the restructuring used on him would not wear off.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-You’re on trial for crimes committed by you, Mr. Lawell. Now you’re going as far as to involve the police in this situation with accusations of corruption? How much further are you willing to go to shift the blame from the person actually responsible?’

(Zoran) ‘-I am making no attempt to shift any blame. I came to this courtroom today with full knowledge of the trespasses against the law committed by me.’

The attorney was actually becoming aggravated now, seeing as how the phoenix-morph was getting closer and closer to the essense of the subject he was commenting on. Mr. Blackscale wondered further then if the Nightsongs hadn’t actually employed Mrs. Cavars’ services for this trial.

(Antonia Cavars) ‘-If you are aware of that fact, stop commenting on matters that have no connection with the case discussed at hand as I believe you have wasted enough of our time today already! (she directly pointed at him now) You yourself admitted to planning to get inside the mansion to conduct your unsanctioned investigation! And after you failed to override the basement’s security system which led to the whole structure to collapse as a precaution, you still refused to leave! Instead you kept digging to find whatever would support your theories about the Nightsongs’ crimes!!’

(Zoran) ‘-But my discoveries proved I have more than theories! You have seen the evidence yourself! As has everyone here! What they’re planning …’

(Antonia Cavars) ‘- … is none of your concern!!! (no one had raised their voice that high in the courtroom since the start of the trial, yet the judge made no comment on the district attorney’s behavior, who was now clearly stepping out of line) Even if there is corruption within the Deckstoru Police Force somehow connected with the Nightsongs, not sharing what you were suspecting them of simply due to more theories is unacceptable!! You are a civilian, sir, and civilians cannot take the law into their hands for any reason!! This applies as much to you as it does to the previous defendants! Actions of ‘the ends justify the means’ type simply cannot be tolerated in our society!! And the people responsible for such actions must be punished under the full extent of the law!!! (she paused to calm herself, looking at the judge now) I have no further questions, your honor.’

The jury seemed more than convinced by the district attorney and Serego had no illusions about being able to turn the whole situation around only with his defense. He had one final trump card that he hoped could save Zoran and decided to play it during the adjournment before the final decision on both trials was announced.

At that time only Mr. Blackscale and the judge were present in the courtroom, just as the lawyer wanted. There were some who weren’t supposed to hear the things he was about to say.

(Serego) ‘-A word, your Honor?’

(The Judge) ‘-I’ll allow you only one question, Mr. Sankeev.’

(Serego) ‘-Thank you. One question is all I need.’

(The Judge) ‘-Go on, then.’

(Serego) ‘-Do you really think Barilia can afford sending people like Zoran Lawell and the Summerbolts to prison right now?’

(The Judge) ‘-How do you mean?’

(Serego) ‘-The most important piece of evidence in the Nightsongs’ mansion was a particular device, correct? A device capable of sending a different amount of animate or inanimate objects across lond distances depending on how much power it receives. And while the only witnesses to those ordinari soldiers taking part in the battle in Nebula are the Summerbolts and the members of Earthling Class #1, I am certain you yourself remember soldiers of that type coming to our country before. Using teleportation devices of the same type.’

The judge frowned after Serego’s latest speculation.

(The Judge) ‘-That alone is not a confirmation these soldiers are the same as the ones from before. We cannot know for certain if it’s THEM.’

(Serego) ‘-But if it is THEM indeed and they’re planning to return, the ones who have the highest chance of stopping them are the same people you’re about to condemn to prison. Would you risk taking away one of this country’s greatest military assets just so you can make an example of Zoran and the Summerbolts in the present?’

(The Judge) ‘-What do you think they will be able to do if a war starts?’

(Serego) ‘-Fight. Fight to the end. Fight more than anyone else. That’s what they’re best at and you know it. The battle in Nebula is proof that they are still more than able to take on any threat. In order to fight as efficiently as possible in the coming conflict, however, they will need to prepare. They won’t be able to do that if they’re in prison. (he stepped even closer to the judge) Furthermore, all the students in Sunbird will need to prepare as well. And I can assure you there is no man better suited to train them than Zoran Lawell.’

(The Judge) ‘-And I’m supposed to let them go scot-free simply because of these speculations?’

While trying to counter Serego, the judge was sweating and there was an uneasiness about him that didn’t go unnoticed by the lawyer, seizing the moment to deliver the finishing blow.

(Serego) ‘-You can still give them minor sentences to show deviants that what they did was wrong, but without having any of them serve time in prison. That way they will be able to dedicate all the time they have to preparing for the coming conflict. (his confidence had grown enough to smirk at the judge) With their wild temper it won’t take long for them to get in trouble again, so if all I’m saying right now turns out to be nothing more than speculation, another opportunity to imprison them will arise soon enough. But until then, sir, Zoran and the Summerbolts are Barilia’s best contingency plan. Don’t take whatever advantage we have from us just yet.’   

0