Chapter Fourteen: The Promise
34 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was hard to believe it had been six months since Akio came to be a part of the vigilante group. Her body was still sore and recovering from the brawl two weeks ago, but finally, things were looking up, besides the situation with Indra. 

 

Akio laid down in the field of glowing flowers, staring up at the trees as they swayed to their own natural rhythm. Behind her, several of the group had chosen to go for a swim in the river. She rolled to her stomach to watch them, laughing when Eris caught Bolivar off guard and splashed him in the face. 

 

The large man chuckled, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her beneath the water in revenge. 

 

Eris came to the surface, gasping and whacked him playfully on the bicep. “You got water up my nose.” 

 

This was Eris’ and Bolivar’s last day with the group. Because of the LizzDraken’s status as a royal, and Bolivar as her bodyguard, it was necessary for them to make appearances. Tomorrow, they would be going to another planet for some sort of treaty deal. 

 

Akio didn’t know the details, but it sounded important. 

 

Bolivar chuckled. “You started it.” 

 

“Why don’t you two just kiss already? The sexual tension is heating up the room,” Hawke called from the rocks he sat on.  

 

Snorting, Akio watched in amusement as whoops and whistles from surrounding members echoed through the cavern. Even Chester joined in the fun. 

 

“It’s not like that!” Both Bolivar and Eris cried in unison. Their flushed faces said otherwise. 

 

Eris, as a LizzDraken had an even more obvious tell, fire filled her cheeks, casting an unmissable glow. 

 

“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” Hawke started and others joined the chanting. 

 

Akio stood up and walked over. “Hate to break up the fun, but, let them be. . .”

 

Eris sighed in relief. “Thanks, Akio I—“

 

Akio held up a hand. “I wasn’t finished. What I was saying is let them be, they’d rather keep things private.” She emphasized it with a wink. 

 

“Fuck you!” Eris spat.  

 

Everyone else howled in laughter, including Bolivar. 

 

“What can I say, you two lovebirds are the only entertainment here. I’m going to miss you,” Akio said, punching Eris in the arm. 

 

Eris punched her back, a little harder than necessary, giving a toothy smile. “I’ll miss you too.” 

 

Shaking off the pain, Akio enveloped the sopping wet LizzDraken in a hug.“Be safe.”

 

“No promises. That would be boring,” Eris said, returning the hug. 

 

Akio chuckled, her and Eris echoing each other’s words. “The fun is in the danger.”

 

Bolivar coughed, grabbing Eris by the arm. “We need to get going.” He turned to Akio. “Don’t give her ideas, I plan on keeping Eris out of trouble.” 

 

“Good luck with that,” Hawke shot from the rock, jumping into the water and splashing Akio, Eris, and Bolivar. 

 

The water drenched Akio completely, making her thigh length shirt cling to her skin. “Hawke! I didn’t want to get wet. 

 

He laughed, splashing more water in her direction. “Then don’t stand by the water.” 

 

Since she was already wet, Akio raised a brow in challenge. She gained some momentum with a spin, sweeping her leg across the water and soaking Hawke with a wave. 

 

“Hey!” 

 

Akio walked away with a self-satisfied smirk. “If you don’t want to get wet, don’t swim in the water.”

 

On the way back to the house Eris gave her a high five. “Nice one.” 

 

It felt like just the other day Eris was threatening to roast her alive. But now, she was one of Akio’s best friends, and favorite sparring buddies. She was going to miss her. 

 

The three of them headed back to the house. Indra stood in the doorway, which was odd, it was the first time since the fight that Akio had seen her. 

 

“Haim wants to talk to you in his office, Akio. Get changed and I’ll escort you,” Indra declared with a curt nod. 

 

Akio missed being able to talk to Indra casually. Ever since she told Akio about a piece of her past, she’d shut her out completely. It hurt. Indra had never allowed Akio to chance to say how she felt, and how she wanted to be together, regardless of the hurdles. 

 

But at the same time, Akio didn’t want to make Indra uncomfortable, or risk making her feel the way she had after their kiss. The last thing she wanted to do was hurt the Se’li she cared for most. Did that mean staying silent forever? 

 

Stepping inside, Akio took off her soggy shoes, placing them to the side of the door to dry. “Where do you want me to meet you?” 

 

Indra started up the stairs. “I’ll be outside your room.” 

 

Eris and Bolivar disappeared down a different hall, waving at Akio before vanishing from sight. 

 

With a nod, Akio jogged up the stairs to her room and slipped out of her wet clothes, quickly putting on a black robe. What could Haim want her for? Perhaps she was being sent on her first mission. Or being tasked with more chores as punishment for her shenanigans. . . 

 

A gentle rap on the door broke Akio from her thoughts. “Are you almost ready?” 

 

Akio put on some slippers and stepped out. “I’m ready, let’s go.” 

 

Indra didn’t do anything to acknowledge her. She turned on her heel and started down the stone hall towards the stairs. 

 

Akio sprinted forward to catch up with her. “Indra, how much longer will you be avoiding me?” 

 

Silence greeted her in response, save for their footfalls on the carpeted steps and occasional tap of the cane. The statues carved into the walls sneered down upon them in judgement, prompting the awkwardness Akio knew was self-made. But she couldn’t wait any longer, she needed to know if this was how it was going to be. 

 

Indra paused, fiddling with her cane. “I don’t know. Everything is complicated and confusing anytime you step into the room.” 

 

They stopped at the top of the stairs, turning to the left. “Why?”

 

Grimacing, Indra halted her steps. “Because I like you. And that terrifies me.” 

 

Akio gently grasped Indra’s hand. “It doesn’t need to. If you’d just give me the chance to explain how I feel I—“

 

“I can’t take your rejection.” Indra pulled herself away, adjusting her glove. “There are more important matters to discuss.”

 

Throwing up in her arms in exasperation, Akio stepped back. “Why can’t you just let me talk? You don’t know what I’m going to say!” 

 

Indra was about to open her walk away again.

 

Akio reached out and grabbed her wrist. “I want to be in a relationship with you. I don’t give a starshit about physical intimacy. If being with you means holding your hand, then I want to walk beside you through sunsets. If it means a hug once a year, then I will cherish every second on it. Don’t give up on us before we’ve tried.” 

 

Tears gathered in Indra’s eyes as she stared past Akio. “Are you serious?” 

 

Akio’s oi’ek flung about violently, her hearts pounding as she said the next words. “Yes.” 

 

“Okay.” Indra wiped her tears away with the back of her hand. “Let’s try this, let’s try us. But later. What you’ve been summoned for can’t wait.” 

 

Akio let go of her wrist. “May I have the honor of holding your hand?” 

 

A small, beautiful smile pulled at Indra’s lips. “You may.” 

 

Only a short stroll down the next hall led them to Haim’s office. The door was cracked open in anticipation of their arrival. Indra motioned for Akio to enter and closed it behind her without another word. 

 

The office was bigger than Akio thought it would be. Various paintings of landscapes hung on the white walls. There was a large window to the left, and a spacious area surrounding a large desk, book shelves, and four chairs in the center. 

 

Haim looked up from papers he was shuffling through, scribbled something on one and removed his spectacles. “Have a seat, Akio.” 

 

Akio sat down, interweaving her hands together. “What is it you want to talk about? Do I have a mission?”

 

Before Haim could answer, a terrible coughing fit made him double over in pain. The Gebul gripped the dark wooden desk with his paw to keep himself from falling off the chair until it subsided. “I’m dying.” Shuddered breaths shook his frame, making him appear weak, frail. “It’s only a matter of time before I draw my last breath.”

 

It was worse than the last time Akio had seen him. Which she knew would happen, but actually seeing the progression of Haim’s condition was harrowing. “How long do you have left?”

 

“Maybe an hour, if not less. That’s why I--” another wave of coughs wracked his chest.

 

Akio rose from her chair, catching Haim before he hit the floor. There was nothing to be done, no way to reverse it. 

 

“It’s hereditary, my father had this condition too. A common problem among those with powerful minds.” 

 

Months ago, Haim had told Akio the inevitability of this condition following the promise she made. Nothing he, Indra, or Eris tried made a difference. Haim would die. It was only a matter of when. 

 

Akio wished it wouldn’t be today, but the rasping that proceeded from Haim’s snout was the sound of a dead man. 

 

Akio supported Haim’s upper body, afraid that if he laid flat he would drown in his own blood. “Why did you summon me?” she breathed the words gently, patiently awaiting her answer. 

 

Upon the day he was coming to an end, why Akio? Out of everyone he could have called upon. 

 

Haim’s eyes fluttered closed. “Remember your promise?” 

 

A lump formed in Akio’s throat. “Yes, to love your group and treat them like family.” 

 

She didn’t like the direction this was heading. 

 

Tears leaked from the corner of Haim’s eyes, the sight weird and out of character. He always seemed so strong, rarely allowing his emotions to take root or reach the surface. “I need you to take care of them. Protect them, when I’m gone. They need to be told that they mean something, that they matter.” 

 

“Why me? Out of everyone, why someone who still has to earn your trust?” Akio inhaled a shuddering breath. “You have to live till I’ve earned it. Till I deserve it.” 

 

“Time doesn’t extend me that kindness,” Haim choked out. “I’ve tried for years to extend the clock, there was no stopping it.”

 

Akio helped him to his side for the next wave of misery. Blood and chunks of flesh formed a puddle on the floor beside him. His body started convulsing, his eyes rolling backwards. “Starshit, Indra!” 

 

The doors to the office slammed open, Hawke and Indra stepped inside, faces painted in horror. Even though all Indra could do was listen. 

 

“I don’t know what to do, what do I do?” Akio cried in panic, keeping a firm grip on Haim to prevent him from rolling to his back. 

 

Indra moved quickly across the room while Hawke continued to stand motionless, his face void of color. 

 

Squatting down, Indra placed a hand to Haim’s head. Her oi’ek thrashed about like a wild animal. “All his systems are shutting down. He’s dying. There’s nothing we can do.” 

 

It was too soon to lose him. What would the group do without their leader? Everything would fall apart without Haim to guide them. He was what held everyone together. He was the only one truly respected. 

 

“Promise me you’ll extend this group the same understanding and love that you gave your troop. They’re all hurting, lost, and struggling to find the light in the darkness. They need someone who is going to be there, no matter what.”

 

Me. Haim wanted me to lead them. But why me? 

 

Haim’s body grew still. 

 

Wails broke through the temporary silence when Indra threw herself forward, weeping into Akio’s shoulder. 

 

Gently stroking her back and embracing her tightly, Akio allowed Indra to cry. It was awkward, almost like watching a moving picture. 

 

This loss wouldn’t affect Akio in the way it did everyone else. She wasn’t that close to Haim. Maybe that was why he chose her. It was odd to be so detached, still, in this moment she felt nothing. 

 

Hawke continued to stand unmoving in the doorway, unable to harbor a response. It was probably too much for him to feel, or to know how to feel. 

 

Was it wrong not to cry with them? Insensitive? 

 

No. They needed someone to be unaffected, someone to hold them up in their grief. Someone to keep things running while the world was falling apart. 

 

Pulling away, Indra paused for a moment to breathe before weeping into her hands. Her grief-filled cries chipped away at Akio’s heart, threatening to pull her down into mourning beside her. 

 

Akio needed to be strong. She couldn’t allow herself to be devastated as the rest of the household would be. This was her promise. A promise she intended to keep. She would be there to show them the light in the darkness. 

 

“What now? With Haim gone, who will lead us?” Hawke whispered, tears clogging his throat. 

 

For once, Akio had a choice. One that could bring the downfall of the vigilantes or drive them to success. She stood to her feet, and looked Hawke directly in the eyes.

 

“I will.” 

 

The End

What will become of the vigilantes?

Will Akio make a good leader?

What will become of her and Indra's blooming relationship in the midst of tragedy?

The adventure continues in book two: "Objective Consequence"

Feel free to comment, cast a like, let me know what you think. This is a first draft novella and could certainly use a lot of fine-tuning.

Thank you so very much for following me on this journey lovelies. See you in book two!

N.G.Brier

After completing the book, who is your favorite character?
  • Haim Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indra Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Akio Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawke Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hao Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eris Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bolivar Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Chester Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Random vigilante #2 Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Random guard who caused issues #2 Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uh the one that sits in the corner sometimes? Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 2
0