Beauty 15
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking back to her bedroom after Rene's departure, Andrea felt numb. Gara was equally miserable. Andrea hadn't even noticed where she was going until she heard Gara gasp.

Slowing in her stride, Andrea focused on the door; it wasn't far from the portraits. Going there to think was almost automatic. She would have urged Gara farther down the hall to look at them, but Grandfather's portrait was gone, so she was in no hurry.

The smaller woman trembled, and Andrea understood. She nodded in agreement as she looked up at the carefully crafted images in the steel door. It was her grandfather's private study. The plaque above it read Suffering for art is the only true beauty in the Colony.

"I miss him, too," Andrea said.

Gara stared at the words, and Andrea turned to match her stoic posture.

"He always talked about you, that you were his favorite student. Just so you know," Andrea assured her.

Gaze cast low, Gara said, "I honestly hope not."

"Why?"

"Because that would be the worst thing anyone's ever said to me," Gara muttered.

"What?" Andrea asked, feeling numb.

With a heavy sigh, Gara glanced at her. "Nothing."

Andrea decided she couldn't allow this disrespect—she'd already allowed so many other instances of it. "You know, you didn't even come to his funeral. Nobody did. After all he's done for you.... He allowed you here when it was still an all-boys school. I wanted to let you know that I think it's very awful of you not to show more appreciation."

For a long moment, Gara wrestled with something she wanted to say. Eventually, she sucked in a deep breath and muttered, "I can say with all honesty, I owe what I am to your grandfather." Her eyes misted until she blinked them back. "That I can say without a doubt."

The words had a strange edge to them, and Andrea thought to inquire just what the smaller woman meant but bolts sounded at the door, drawing their focus.

The door creaked open, and Dom's dark hair appeared as the boy peered out. He was startled at the sight of them but said nothing as he slipped out and walked away.

He'd left the door ajar, and Andrea frowned. Grandfather hated that.

Before she could go to close it, Gara hurried to overtake her. "Hey, do you mind if I hang around here for a minute? I'll go ahead and head to bed when I'm finished. I just...I just need to get something."

"Get something? Like what?" Andrea asked.

"No...nothing. I just...." the smaller woman's body drooped finally. "To be honest, after what just happened to poor Rene, I just wanna be by myself, and this room holds a lot of memories for me. Is that okay?"

Glancing at the engraving again, Andrea read the message once more: Suffering for art is the only true beauty in the Colony. If Gara meant that Rene had suffered, then Andrea could understand. She would have gone in, too, but she didn't want to associate her grandfather's memory with anything negative.

Relenting, she nodded. "Sure. I'll see you later then. I need a walk, too."

"S-sure," Gara said, slipping into the room.

After she was gone, Andrea stared at the closed door and then turned and walked away. The air was still, the halls barren. Someone sat on the wall bordering the courtyard, and when Andrea spotted who it was, she decided to sit down beside him.

She hefted herself up after three attempts and hoped Tanner wouldn't notice or comment.

"Good night, ja?" Tanner said.

Andrea muttered, "You have no idea how bad a night it was."

"No Gara?"

"Nah. She's sleeping in my room." She wasn't quite sure Tanner understood her. They sat there for some time, each second that passed left Andrea feeling more and more hollow. "Could...could we try that telepathy thing again, but without you reading my emotions?"

Tanner gave her a curious look, and Andrea tapped her own head. When the E's face lit up, she was happy to be the cause of it.

Sure. Hey, I'm sorry for scaring you with this before.

It's okay. Just...just don't read my emotions, please.

I can't promise you that, though. I'm an E; that's all I can do. Andrea wouldn't look at him, and Tanner promised, Tell you what. I won't take everything to heart or make it all a topic of conversation. That I can do. And it might be easier for you if you just open your mouth and talk; that way your thoughts are more condensed.

"Yeah?" Andrea asked.

Tanner nodded.

Propping her hands on her knees, Andrea watched her fingers. "Do you know Rene?" When she glanced to Tanner to see him pretending to have an overbite, she wanted to laugh, but the night's events made that impulse fade. "Yeah. W...I just wondered why things are so unfair. She is a nice person, and Kobal is crazy about her, but...why? Why is everything so unfair?"

Unfair? Tanner furrowed his brow. Let me guess, some insignificant idiot says something meaningless to Rene, and Kobal loses his head. Then Rene gets mad at Kobal for caring because she feels that Kobal's a lightning rod or that his attempt at sticking up for her is making things worse. So Kobal leaves, and Rene sits around trying to act like nothing just happened. Andrea was stunned, and after Tanner glanced at her to see her expression, the E chuckled. It happens a lot, actually. And Kobal only has himself to blame.

"But Rene—"

Rene's only human, and she's a survivor. Granted, she may be a Yule with the potential to sync with an E to become an Assist, but she's just human. Kobal is the problem. Rene has to deal with shit every day, and she's found a way to do it. To E's—hell, to Kobal who can harness a fireball—being passive seems weak, but it's Rene's strength. Kobal can't understand that.

Being a Yule herself—a human with no supernatural powers—Andrea felt compelled to defend her gentle giant Kobal's noble endeavor. She did so with an accusatory and sarcastic tone. "But you do?"

Of course I do. I'm a hairless E. I mean...I get it. People look at me, and I stand out, not just 'cause of my height but also this body. But I can't afford to be physically weak along with being powerless. I know how Rene feels to be judged based on looks. And I know how it feels to be treated like you don't matter just because you either can't understand something or you can't talk.

Guilt for having judged Tanner caused Andrea to hang her head.

Tanner seemed worried about her response. I'm not saying Kobal meant it on purpose, 'cause he didn't. He really does have strong feelings for Rene, and he keeps pushing because he wants Rene to see what he sees when he looks at her, but it's too much. Kobal can't relate, so he can't understand. I mean, put it like this: first time I met you, I bumped into you in the hall. When I finally met up with Kobal after Queenie got me, he asked me what I thought of the place. I mention that I think you're beautiful, and the next thing I know, he puts me to work right beside you, not realizing that it might be embarrassing. Never mind the fact that I can't even speak the language and it's a struggle.

Body feeling warm, Andrea smiled. "You think I'm beautiful?"

Tanner gave her a curious look, his head tilted. You're fishing for a compliment, but you know about your beauty already. I don't need to tell you that, right? The physical body we're born with doesn't mean anything; it's what we do with it. And we all have strength. So what do you mean by life being unfair?

Maybe Tanner hadn't meant it as any sort of chide, but Andrea's confidence wavered. When she saw Tanner's brown eyes focused on her, gentle and inviting, she was put at ease.

"I mean, Gara and I, we look all right, but we're so gawed up. And poor Rene...you know, and she's such a sweetheart, but...nobody can see that."

Tanner stared out into the dim courtyard. That's a weird question. I mean, do you think she's sweet, so that's why life's not fair to her? Or maybe that life wasn't fair to her, and that's why she's sweet? If she looked like you guys, or better, would that mean she'd turn out to be just as tragic?

"We're not tragic." Andrea gasped. It wasn't just defensiveness; she needed to believe what she said. "I mean...Gara's not, at least." When Tanner made a noise, Andrea gasped. "Are you kidding? You don't have a problem with Rene, but you've got a problem with Gara? Why?"

Because Rene fights. Granted, she's spineless at times, but the woman doesn't give up. She's had that 'turning garbage into food' idea for ages, and everyone laughed in her face. Hell, even Kobal used to think that she was crazy, but she just kept on trying and trying, and now she's got the Colony's attention. Besides that, Rene does have a lot going against her. But other than some really deep self-hate over the way she looks, she's not all broody half the time. She doesn't try to destroy herself. So yeah, I do prefer being around her to Gara.

One thing from that statement drew Andrea's focus. "So you're telling me if Rene was the last woman alive, you'd get with her?"

Andrea was doubtful, but Tanner looked at her, his glare steadfast. Rene's taken. But I'm saying forget the 'last woman alive' scenario. If I was asked right now to choose between a relationship with Rene or with Gara, I'd take Rene in a heartbeat.

It took a minute for Andrea to digest the words. She feared asking but hazarded the question anyway, reasoning that this was as good a time as any to get all the self-loathing out.

"What about me?" When Tanner's light brown eyes focused on her, she tried to suck in her gut. "What if it were between me and them? Could I beat Rene?"

Tanner took a minute to let the question simmer before he answered. You'd definitely beat Gara. But....

Andrea wanted to cry. "But not Rene?"

With a slight sigh, Tanner looked at her finally. Want me to be honest? You wanna know why I'd choose her over you? At the weak nod, he stared ahead again and continued. Because Rene can't help how she looks. She can't help all that's happened to her—

"Wait, but I can?" Andrea's upper lip twitched. "I can?"

Tanner didn't look at her. Yes. You can. I think you've got a lot of potential, too. Like there's something there, scratching under the surface. You don't have something that Rene has, though: confidence in her mind. Sure, Rene doesn't feel good about how she looks, but she knows what she knows, and she carries herself like someone who knows her shit. I've gotta respect that. But that's just me. You know, a lot of people in the Colony would disagree with me.

Andrea still didn't respond; she just listened to the words as they continued to pound in her head.

And as for Gara, though she is confident and talented, the reason why she wouldn't be a contender, beyond the drugs and drama and shit, well...to be honest, she's just too damn small. She's just too damn pale. Whenever I pick her up, I'm afraid I'm gonna crush her under my fingertips. I can't handle that sort of responsibility. I don't know how Midge does it.

"Okay." Andrea watched the ground, bitter. "Now I know you're full of impshit. I'd give anything to be that small."

Why? You are you. You shouldn't be anything else. Besides, I think girls like Gara—her size, I mean—attract two kinds of people. Either someone who loves protecting something they see as delicate, or someone who loves pummeling something they see as delicate and frail. Right now, it looks like she's in a tug-of-war between both.

"I doubt anyone would wanna protect me," Andrea muttered.

True, but I'm not sure Gara needs all that much protecting. If I had to fight with someone, I'd rather fight with someone your build and size. A possible fighter Gara's size is too scary. Tanner caught sight of Andrea's wrinkled brow and laughed. She doesn't have any power, so she'd need a weapon. I'm just saying those types are unpredictable. And knowing how much Midge loves the runt to death, I can only imagine what he's taught her to do. It's gaw-ro scary.

Andrea nodded. Ah, there it was. Her hate for Gara was back in full force. Just one more thing Gara had that Andrea didn't. "At least she can defend herself. I can't even throw a punch."

Yeah? You're worried about that? Tanner asked, cracking a smile. Training takes some effort, but I'd be happy to teach you if you want.

Andrea blushed. "You're joking."

No, no joke. I can teach you.

Andrea nodded, smitten by the attention. "When?"

"Tomorrow." Before work. Tanner jumped down and smiled. Thanks for the conversation. "I missed it."

"You're welcome. See you tomorrow."

One hour before work. "Good night."

0