Drowned 3
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We traveled in relative silence save for Lana who took great interest in me. I watched the world zip by and she tried to point out all the houses we passed. A time or two, I nodded.

My eyes stayed fixed on the window; I didn't dare glance at Mason to see how angry he was getting because I failed to engage his guest.

"So...Governess," Gregor said at length, "have you been promised to someone else?"

With a rotation of my head, I set my eyes on Gregor once more. I'd thought him a blond at birth but now in the light of day, I could see that he was a brunette whose hair color had dulled. His build wasn't bad either. His clothes were fine, too. They came from a reputable brand, unlike Mason. As I made most of Mason's vest, as a hobby, I'd know.

So as I considered all this, I wondered what interested Gregor in me so.

No. It wasn't the first time a man approached me or started talks of courting or marriage. In the beginning, I'd been hopeful. A time or two I'd even fallen for it. But it all ended in one place and I gave that end now by intentionally flicking my hair out of my face to reveal the birthmark.

All interest drained from Gregor's expression. By now, I was sure he'd regretted inviting me.

In fact, he asked me nothing further as I turned to admire the view once more.

With that in mind, I was confused when I heard a voice say, "She's—she's so talented. Isn't that right, Lanni?"

Lana focused on her brother who sat across from her. At his head gestures at me, urging her on, she perked up.

"Oh yes. She does it all. Mother met her at the royal ball once! Her sister even married the prince."

I closed my eyes and cursed internally.

Honestly, such treachery.

Gregor's renewed interest clashed with Mason's grimace.

"Your sister?"

"Stepsister," I answered, "and we hate one another."

And that was as far as the conversation went.

We arrived at the hunting party in good time. Lana cast off all her training and good manners when she encountered Beatrice. They screamed loudly and chased one another around.

While Beatrice's governess shushed them, I was content to allow Lana some freedom. The time for stiffness and stoic amusement would come eventually.

The amount of women who accosted us there was shocking to say the least.

In their rush to hurry to Gregor, I was nearly overrun. It was by luck that I turned to find that while some did go after Gregor, a greater amount set their sights on Mason.

He looked comfortable there, flexing his arms and chatting cordially with each and every young woman. More than a few were stunning enough to show what a good match might look like.

So while they went about impressing the ladies and the ladies went about impressing the men, I went about keeping an eye on Lana and her friend.

Their excited chatter and screams interfered greatly in the courting of those around us, so I gathered them by the lake to tell them a story.

Now, I did not invoke the name of my miserable stepsister often. But I could boast that her style and technique in story telling was something she took from me. I wouldn't say stolen, because I had taught her.

The only real issue with it was that it was something I excelled at but had to pass on to her to give her something to show off.

I'd dare say that her beauty had made others very forgiving when she made a mistake. I did not have that, so my storytelling had to be grand.

I'd gotten to my second tale when I realized that an audience had formed.

Mason at the helm.

Gregor pushed his way through the crowd, complaining, "We've barely begun. Why turn back?"

But Mason did not answer. The way he stared at me made me feel insignificant. I supposed he was trying to show off my value to others.

That was nothing new, so I gave him what he wanted; I told my best story.

When I finished, I needed something memorable so the lake at Lana's back would have to do. I leaned in, pointed and said, "And therefore, when a man confesses his love under the moonlight on the lake, no woman can resist him."

Both girl's mouths turned into Os but it was Gregor who clapped.

He smiled. "Good that my house has a lake!"

The ladies in attendance all cheered but Mason didn't even spare me one clap.

I was more than happy when it was time to go home. Lana was exhausted. We arrived before supper and I took her out of the carriage.

Mason hurried to intercept me. "I'll take her."

But I held her tightly and pulled away, reminding him what he reminded me, "It's my job."

He flinched.

On my way to the manor, Gregor, of whom I was slowly tiring, met me and said, 'You hadn't answered my question about whether or not you were spoken for."

I cut him a glance, got the door, opened it, walked inside, and shut it yet again.

For the entire evening I was cross. From the study, where I spent most of my time due to the view, I stared out into the dusk.

He had a lake. So what? Even this house had a lake.

In this instance, for the first time, I regretted leaving my mother's home. But I couldn't go back. I refused to give Mother the satisfaction, not after all that had happened. And certainly not after I'd cost them so much money.

But now what was I to do? I hadn't secured a new post yet, and it was already fall.

As I puzzled about this, something disturbed the water of the lake beyond the house. It was a boat with a single person in it.

When the man stood, I ground my teeth.

Mason.

His lunacy alone and poor manners was enough to make me want to leave as soon as possible.

I supposed that was his plan. Because only a fool would stand in a boat. He could mock me now and I could very easily take it to heart and run out of this house tonight with no clear destination.

At this distance, it was hard to make out what he said, but I heard my name clearly uttered. And then he put his hands out and shouted.

When the boat capsized, I let out a deep breath.

Oh, how I hated this man.

I waited for him to surface, which he did, chopping at the water.

If I didn't know any better, I'd mistake him for drowning.

After a few more seconds of him sinking, I was convinced. This was probably a trick but I couldn't risk killing the heir to this blasted estate.

My feet took me down the spiral staircase and out the door so fast even my sister would be impressed.

I had to loosen my dress and throw it off before leaping into the water. He was a good ways in but I reached him fast enough. He dragged me down, frantic in his panic to find some rescue.

Each time he surfaced, clutching me tight, I feared it would be my last. My life passed me in a flash until he suddenly calmed. Perhaps he was dead or water clogged, I would not know.

He rested enough for me to put my hand around his chest and swim out.

Our bodies were heavy from the water once we came to shore. He had barely enough strength to pull himself up.

I was less concerned with my state of undress and more so with him. Everything in me said to scream but I dared not draw attention to myself, not now.

Mason let out a laugh.

It was only a brief sound, but I heard it. It amounted to a full roar of laughter once he stood to his full height.

Loathing his very presence, I picked my foot up and kicked him in the stomach.

He fell back into the water and I grabbed my dress and marched towards the house. I was leaving. I wasn't sure how or where I'd go but I was leaving.

I could send for my things at a later date.

"Wait," he called behind me. "Wait. Let me explain!"

Wet and miserable, I decided to enter through the servants' entrance rather than risk anyone seeing me.

I'd dragged on my dry dress over my wet underclothes by the time I reached my room.

That was fine. I'd leave like this.

After I retrieved my bag and shoved several dresses in, the door swung open.

I could have been naked.

Dripping wet, hands braced on his knees, Mason gasped again and again.

"You...didn't let me explain."

Madness. I came to my senses and rushed past him to close the door. What if someone saw and misunderstood?

A strong hand caught me around the waist.

"Wait," Mason panted. "Wait. Why are you so prickly? I did as you'd requested."

I'd requested?

His grip wasn't all that tight, he was exhausted, but he did hold onto me.

Reacting while panicked was never a good idea, I'd been taught, so I allowed him to calm, at least enough to let me go.

"What do you mean what I'd requested?"

Mason's breaths came labored. Once he stood to his full height he held my face and said, "You were looking right at me when you said it. Wasn't that what you'd meant?"

I didn't understand one word coming out of his stupid face.

"What—?"

He pressed his lips against mine and I froze.

I wasn't sure what to do at first. I trembled. But then he ran his fingers along my face, down my birthmark to my neck and I lost my senses.

I allowed the next peck on my lips and melted into his tight hold when he pulled me closer and devoured me with the kiss.

Something in me broke. I couldn't say what. This was actually...quite nice. The way he kept the kisses short, teasing my lips, the way he held my neck then my chin with both hands as if savoring something wonderful.

It was actually rather nice.

He put our foreheads to meet, no longer smelling of that aftershave as he tugged at my dress and panted, "Let's get you out of these."

I awoke from my madness, took a step back, and slapped him with all my might. In his surprise, I grabbed him by his wet vest, yanked him close and brought my knee up between his legs as well.

1