20. (Mega) Chapter
2.2k 9 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the common quarters of one of the Venator class republic cruiser currently waiting outside of Coruscant atmosphere. One group of newly trained clones, among many others, were sitting at their table silently eating their military rations. This food was much better than usual. The reason for that is because they are near the core worlds where supplies are basically endless. This particular team of clones counted six soldiers, and they were quite edgy right now. The other clones sitting at different tables were giving them a weary look. For that there were different reasons. The other shinies were looking at them with clear admiration and respect in their eyes, while the veteran troopers were trying hard to ignore them, failing miserably. When they also realized this, they instead began to act superior towards them. They heard some interesting combinations of derogatory words. Like shiny commandos and special rookies... It was kind of a normal thing for them, honestly. Even on Kamino, wherever they have gone to the cantina, especially as a whole squad, they always stood out in the crowd. 

Therefore, the weary glances occasionally given to them were not the reason for their frustration. A few days ago they were told, that their new commander had been chosen, and today was the day when they would meet with her. Yes, her, since she is a woman, but the worst part was that she is not even a proper jedi, but a padawan. What the hell could a thirteen year old girl understand of properly leading a commando? They trained their whole life. They learned to be a team, to excel and made their brothers and the republic proud of them. What was the thanks for it, to place their lives and their efforts at the hands of a child, they heard stories of failed missions because of unreasonably padawan commanders. Even proper jedi knights used to act way stubbornly as leaders; being under the direct command of a nosy child is a clear death wish. It's not like the thought of dying was new to them, but the thought of dying stupidly without achieving anything was an entirely different thing. What was even more strange was that they were asked to report to the commander at one of the training fields, and in full gear. Is she trying to check our skills? We should check hers, not the other way. 

- Okay, Gamma Squad, time to finish, we have a meeting scheduled with the princess commander.

- Heh, that was a good one Crusher. Just be careful that she never hears it. 

- Yeah, we didn't want to make her cry after all. 

- At least not on the first day! 

They began to laugh after hearing that, some of them were still smiling when they reached the training field half an hour later equipped with their complete gear.

They stood to attention in a proper military line while waiting for their new commander. Even if she was a child, they wouldn't let their discipline look lacklustre, they were professional soldiers after all. Suddenly they heard as the air pressure door opened, and a small childlike figure after a few seconds of hesitation began walking towards them. 

Gamma Two, whose nickname was Brain, suddenly poked his side with his left elbow. 

I gave him a quick nod to indicate that I was listening. 

- Look at that Crusher, that armor; I could swear that it is durasteel and plastoid composite. - He whispered to me, while still looking straightforward in a proper position. 

- Yeah, there are very few jedi who even wear armor, but durasteel, that stuff is top notch. I would love to have some for myself. - Added Gamma Three, also known as Handy.

I couldn't help but agree with the others observations. Maybe, this commander won't be that bad after all.

They also noted, that the girl, was a gray skin colored twi'lek, and as she came closer we all noticed her most unique feature, that pair of pink eyes. They seemed to be much deeper and calmer than they should be... It was weird, if they saw those eyes on anyone but a young child, it wouldn't be that out of place. 

She finally stopped before them about two meters away. For a few minutes she simply stood there and watched them. Then finally, as if she had realized something, she said hastily. 

- Ah, rest soldiers. 

They immediately relaxed their position. She then continued. 

- Okay, my name is Nizzal Grey. It is nice to meet you. From now on, I will be your acting commander. I decided to be honest with you; therefore I will say this once, I am not here because I want to be here, so don't try to make my life a living hell, since I will not be able to leave even then. Aside from that, I promise that I will take my position seriously and try to make our lives longer, easier, and as productive as possible. 

She smiled at them weakly. Was that supposed to be a joke or what? 

- May I have a word, Commander? 

- Yes, what is your name soldier? 

- Gamma Five, commander.

- ...Is that a joke? - She asked. 

- What do you mean, Commander? 

- Your name, is Gamma Five? It must have been an inside joke or something right? 

There was a few seconds of awkward silence after that question. 

- Commander, as clone troopers, we don't have real names, only these numbers. 

- ...Okay... this is kind of awkward... do you have some nicknames at least? Mine is Nizzy, I allow you to call me by that name too, if you share yours.

That was kind of a surprise for the clones. 

- We understand Commander! - They said in unison. 

Then Gamma Five continued. 

- Commander, you are right, most of the clones used to have nicknames. We also have our own; my moniker is Ice. 

- Thank you! So, what is your question, Ice? 

- What do you mean by that, that you don't want to be here? 

- Ah, a good question; sadly, the jedi council classified it as a secret. So it should be enough, that I did something bad in their eyes; they were kind enough to offer me two punishment options, and I could choose one. Well, if you look at it from that angle, it turns out that I actually want to be here. Ironic really. 

That explanation only created more questions in the minds of the clones. 

- Ah, if you have other questions, ask away freely, and please, don't repeat Commander all the time, my title is not something I would forget so easily... Oh, and tell your names when you ask something; please, otherwise I will never learn them. 

There were a few loud smirks to that.  

- Gamma One, nickname Crusher. I was wondering what kind of sin a thirteen-year old could commit to be forcefully sent to war as a punishment.

- I may or may not have partially cooked alive one of their knights sent to watch over me, but you shouldn't know about this. It's classified after all. - Said the girl with a straight face. 

The atmosphere in the room after hearing that answer turned somewhat strange. Most of the clones didn't take the answer seriously, only smirking half-heartedly at the bad joke. Crusher, Stinger and Brain were different. They sensed that the answer was faster and much more natural to be a joke. That could only mean, that she told them the truth, and that was definitely not a good thing to hear. On the other hand what the actual hell? She just gave away classified information without a second thought. It was bad enough if their Commander was a child, since she at least was a jedi padawan, what if she was crazy on top of that? 

She saw the weird face he was currently making, than said hastily.

- Don't look at me like that, the guy tried to kill me first, so that's the story. 

The clones looked at each other, somewhat confused. Some of them only began to realize that the previous answer wasn't actually a joke. 

- Continue, what is your name soldier?

- Gamma Two, my moniker is Brain, why did a Jedi Knight try to kill you, one of their own? I have a hard time believing that... 

There was a few seconds of silence following that question. Crusher gave a warning glance to Brain, even if she was a child, you shouldn't directly question her like that. She is still our Commander like it or not. I tried to remind him of that fact. Yet on the battlefield, where lives were at stake, it is an entirely different story. 

- ...Now I see where the misunderstanding is, look, I am not really a jedi. 

- What? But you have a lightsaber, and the rank of a padawan. - I questioned her immediately, quickly forgetting my own advice to Brain, as I felt my composure crumble somewhat under that statement, but this was the question on every clone's mind at that moment. 

- You, see, there are not only jedi in the galaxy who use lightsabers and are trained in the use of the force. I am from one of those secretive sects, namely the Grey Order. I was on an exchange student program, in the jedi temple to create new connections between the two orders. It didn't go well, and one of the knights, thought of one of my techniques as a sacrilege and decided to attack me. It didn't go well for him either, but that is more than enough from me. Tell me something about you now, what is your specialty and your name. We will figure out some nicknames for the others soon, it is already enough that you look the same. I don't want to call you almost the same way on top of that. 

- Beginning from Crusher towards the other end of your line, Gamma One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven Eight, am I right? 

- Yes, Commander. 

- State your nicknames and specialty in that order. Good. You are Crusher, I already know that. What is your, speciality? - She asked me and seemed to be honestly interested in it. 

- I am the sub-commander; therefore I specialize in fast decision making and situational awareness. 

- Good! Next one?

- Gamma Two, Brain, plan making and mission logistics. 

- Gamma Three, Handy, I have no specialisation, but I knew a bit from everything. 

- Gamma Four, Stinger. I specialize in close quarter combat and capturing targets alive. 

The Commander reflexively gulped after hearing that, she looked a bit scared for a few seconds? Maybe she wanted to run away... Nah, what am I thinking... 

- Next! - She said in a gruff voice. Was she really thinking about running away? Hah!

- Gamma Five, Ice, short and mid range combat, with automatic and semiautomatic rifle. 

- Gamma Six, Targetman, the same as Ice, but everyone aims at me first for some reason. 

- You have quite a bad like there, don't you? 

- Heh... Thanks for your sympathy Command-

Stinger shouted, interrupting the conversation. 

- Commander don't pity him, he is just ugly, that is why everyone is trying to put him out of misery! 

The Commander blinked at that, reasoning; she bit into her lips, trying to suppress her smile and laughter. 

Targetman shouted back. 

- We all look the same way, you halfwit! 

- Next please! - Shouted the Commander. She couldn't hold back her smile anymore.

- Gamma Seven, Watcher, I specialize in long range, sniper rifles. 

- And what is yours, Gamma Eight? 

- It's Dozer, ma'am. 

- For the force, do I look like a madam to you?

- Yes, ma'am. - Said Dozer with a smirk, eliciting a few more from the others. 

- Sigh, I never thought that I would have to join the army to find such a fine gentleman. - Said the Commander with thick sarcasm. Someone even whistled at that.

- I hope your specialty is not womanizing? 

- That's just my hobby ma'am, but in the army. I prefer to blow up stuff. 

- Ah, the pyrotechnic than! Quite a well balanced team, I have to say. Now come over here and sit with me. Time for the first team meeting to officially begin. 

She plopped down to the floor uncharacteristically. 

- So, what are you waiting for, come over, and sit in a circle. I won't bite. - She smiled toothily. 

What a strange girl, thought Crusher, while walking over and sitting down. The others soon followed. When everyone took their place, she continued.

- So, I know quite a lot of battle formations and tactics, but I am afraid that they are not up to date and not against enemy droid armies, but humanoids. Therefore, until I learn the proper formations, I will give the quick decision making to Crusher, as the next in rank after me. Clear? 

That sentence made me honestly surprised. The others also blinked a few times; then they nodded. 

- Good, we will have the chance to warm up on some pitiful pirates in the next few days, if we find them, that is. Until then we will learn of each others abilities starting from today. I want to see what your weapons are capable of, and I will show you some of my skills. You will have to know what you should and what you shouldn't expect from me too, after all. Clear?

- Clear! 

- That's the spirit. I am already beginning to like you guys. It was a long time since I had the opportunity to work with professional soldiers. - She said, while stupidly smiling to herself, as if she was lost in some old memories. 

- How old are you, if I may ask? - Stinger said the next question, out of nowhere.

She blinked, seemingly awakening from her memories. 

- Ah, sorry about that. I just remembered the good old days. By the way, I am thirteen. I thought you know, since one of you already stated my age. 

The clones become even more confused from that. Giving weird glances at each other. 

- I also heard, that you guys, are actually three years younger than me, so why do you care so much about my age? 

That question was actually spot-on... 

Targetman gave the answer to that.

- Commander, we were raised for war; our growth was fastened artificially. We may be ten years old, but we are actually twenty in body and mind. 

- Now, you see, that is kind of a good example there. I can only tell you this, not everything is what it seems to be. - She smiled mysteriously. 

- So, boys, show me how your equipment looks like... I-I mean, your weapons... - She stumbled over her words, her face suddenly turning a few shades darker gray. We looked at each other with gleeful eyes. While she was clearly frustrated over those words and their possible secondary meanings, look at that, this is actually going to be fun. The others were snickering, and I will admit, even my lips took on the form of a smile seeing how frustrated she had become. - Okay boys, leave some dignity to the Commander; it's her first time after all. 

To that even more laughter arise. 

- No, stop it! - She shouted at us; since she couldn't take the embarrassment anymore, she hid her face in her palms, trying to hide her own bubbling laughter. 

- Let me explain Commander, our basic weaponry system is the DC-17m Interchangeable Weapon System. That means it is a multifunction weapon. There is a reason why we carry these armored backpacks on our backs, after all. There are four different attachments to the same weapon changing it into a blaster rifle, a sniper rifle, an anti-armor grenade launcher, and last but not least the non-lethal Pulsed Energy Projectile laser, in short, we used to call it PEP. Dozer would you like to show off to our new Commander what that exactly entails? 

- Yes sir, I am always ready to blow up some stuff! 

Dozer, also known as Gamma Eight, stood up and walked to the middle of the training ground. There were different kinds of targets placed on the other end of the room. Dozer activated his weapon, then aimed it. There was a sudden burst of blue energy beams that hit one of the targets on the wall. 

- That's enough for now, shouted Crusher; after a whole round was fired, it only took a few seconds. So that was the blaster rifle in full automatic mode. There are other modes like semi-automatic and single shot mode too. 

- Why are the laser colors blue? - Asked the the Commander. 

- Well, it's quite simple, we mostly fight against droids, therefore we use ion pulse weapons, it would kill any organics too, but it only delivers the real punch against droids. 

She nodded to that explanation. 

- We usually have around three-hundred rounds with us, but we used to customize our gear before every mission based on the data and expectations we had. Dozer, show us the big gun now. 

- Hah! On it boss. 

He changed the attachment on the weapon, taking off the first half of the gun and placing it into his backpack, while also attaching the new part to the weapons base. He then aimed it and shot at the targets. After the first shot, the target that was hit immediately broke apart. 

- Stop right there, brother, we should leave some targets for the others too. 

- How do you like it, ma'am? That one is a heavy hitter. It fires solid projectiles encased in blaster energy, and also has a scope that can zoom in on two different modes, changeable between 10x and 20x. We also call it the can opener, if you know what I mean. Hey, Dozer, what the hell are you doing, we wont test the grenade launcher on our damn ship! 

- Damn! But that is the best part, sir! 

- I feel ya, but the answer is still no! Damn pyromaniac. - The others laughed around me; even the Commander smiled at that. 

- The grenade launcher was specifically created to be used against tanks and heavy weaponry, but that doesn't mean you can't blow away some clankers with a precise shot. The only reason we are not used to doing that is because the grenades are very heavy and we can't take that much with us. It is a waste to use them on simple droids. Dozer there, is different, though, he is our local pyromaniac. 

Dozer shouted from the other side of the training field. 

- What are you telling the Commander there, hey! Are you trying to blacken my name?

Gamma Four, also known as Stinger shouted back at him. 

- Shut up, man, she will realize it soon enough, anyway! 

- Oh, hell no!

The others laughed again. 

- So, what I was trying to tell you, is that he usually empties almost his whole backpack, and only brings nades in it. Sometimes he even steals some of our grenades when he's used them all up, and can't get anymore from the storage management team. 

- That was really not something you should have tell to our new superior! - Dozer shouted again, with some embarrassment in his voice. 

Stinger shouted back again. 

- Like I said, she will realize it soon enough, better now, then later. 

Another series of snickering later. The commander asked a question. 

- So, how many grenades can he carry alongside with the basic rounds and at least the basic rifle attachment? 

- It's fifteen, shouted Dozer with pride in his voice. 

- What is the chance that the grenades blow up in his backpack if he is shot? 

- Almost zero - answered Ice this time. - The grenades are created in a way that they only become activated when placed into the gun, but there is still a one to two percent chance of blowing up if they are hit. 

- Well, multiply it with fifteen different grenades and you 've got a recipe for a catastrophe. - Said the Commander with a troubled expression. 

I thought about that. 

- Dozer! You fucking idiot, did you know about this? 

- Well, I guess... 

- Stop playing innocent; I forbid you to carry more than six of those damnable bombs from now on! 

- What no way! 

- Shut up! Do you want to blow all of us up?! 

- ... 

- Now show the last of the weaponry, you crazy bastard! 

- Yes, sir! 

He focused on the already changed weapon, and shot a circle like energy beam at one of the targets. Then a few other shots too. 

- That's enough for now! This is the PEP, the non-lethal one. The name should not deceive you, by the way. It won't kill you, but that doesn't mean that you will not end up in a hospital bed if hit by it without any armor or shield. That was the brunt of it. We also have a few more tools, like a secondary blaster gun effective for close quarter combat, and a vibroblade built into the top of our gloves. 

I raised my right hand, forming a fist before me. From this angle the Commander could clearly see the top of my hand. I activated the weapon, the small vibroblade charged forward only for about twenty centimetres. It was resembling one of the intergalactic common signs of communication, namely, showing off your middle finger. The Commander seemed to realize this too, but effectively ignored it, with a weak shake of her head. Than she asked. 

- Can you give me one of your secondary handguns. 

- Of course, Commander, I gave her mine without a second thought.

She eagerly took it away, checked it over from a few different angles, than said. 

- I like it, and therefore I will keep this. Think of it as a punishment for your cheek. And I also need a handgun. A lightsaber is a good weapon, but it has some flaws too. 

I nodded to that statement, one more thing that I never expected to hear from a jedi. Well, she already said it; she is not one. I also gave her my gun holder belt. She accepted it with a happy smile and soon attached it to her hip. What a weird gal, but one thing was clear. We hit the jackpot with this one. While she was occupied with her new toy, I looked over at my team. They were also smiling and nodding to me with clear acceptance on their faces. Our test was over, from now on; if she doesn't change her ways, she will be our Commander, and we will happily live or die by her side on any battlefield. 


I sneaked a peek at my new squad. They happily smiled at each other with knowing looks, giving quick nods and small gestures towards Crusher. I sighed, feeling my shoulders relax finally. I managed to get over their test and it seems they accepted me as their Commander for now. I felt my palms sweat from the pressure they gave me until now. It was not an obvious pressure, mind you, but for someone with the force, it becomes very clear. 

I was looking at the floor, already thinking over the events of the last thirty minutes. When I sensed a hand carefully touching my left shoulder. I looked up, seeing Crusher standing before me and looking down at me with a supporting smile. He then said. 

- Commander, aren't you supposed to show us your special abilities? We have already laid out our own cards, it's your turn now. 

Oh, yeah, it's only fair towards them if I do. I nodded to him, then walked to the training field. When I reached the ideal distance, I turned back towards them. 

- My basic fighting style is using my lightsaber in one hand, while in the other hand I use a blaster or channel the force with it. I can't channel the force effectively if there is a blaster in my hand or if I am holding something else. I have to place it back into the weapon holder before I can use it properly.

If I have time to enter into a meditative trance, I could use the force in a much freer manner and on a larger area, but it takes much preparation to achieve that, at the minimum one hour, but usually even more. That technique can be used in situations, when we know that we will be soon attacked. It is called battle meditation one of my most powerful techniques. Through the force, I can assist and control even a large scale battle helping our troops to be at the right place at the right time, raising their morale while simultaneously weakening the enemy's will to fight. The last part doesn't work on droids. Ah, and while I am doing this technique I can't fight, so someone has to guard me. Also, right now, since I am practically a child, I can't really use it effectively in large scale combat, but a few hundred troops should work fine. 

The clones looked at me with confused eyes, as if I had grown another head or something. 

- I see that you have many questions about this, but I can't really describe it in a better way. We will try it out tomorrow and you will understand it. 

They nodded to that. 

- Also, there are many easier to do techniques I would like you to know of. I think this you already know, but in case: If not, I will tell you now. With my lightsaber I can effectively deter laser beams. I can even hit the enemy with their own shot; it is a defensive technique; good to surprise the enemy and distract them. 

- Although, since I like to use my saber with one hand, I don't really use it. I have another technique for that, but I would like one of you to help me with the presentation.

One of the clones was pushed and stumbled forward a few steps. He immediately gave an angry glare towards the one who had pushed him.

I looked at him, and asked.

- You are? 

- Watcher, Commander. 

- Oh sure, thank you for your assistance. I would like to ask you, to shoot at me with your rifle. 

A silence fell upon the room, as if a switch had been changed. The light-hearted smiles immediately disappeared. They watched me with questioning gazes, seemingly trying to figure out if I had lost my sanity in this short time. 

The Watcher was the one who was the most surprised. 

- I won't shoot at my Commander with a deadly weapon, he said with a clear annoyance in his voice. 

- Eh... fine, then use the stunner attachment and do it with that.

He was still agitated from my request, but after he looked at Crusher, seemingly asking for permission, he nodded and so he changed the attachment. He aimed at me, then asked.

- Are you ready, Commander? I won't be responsible if you spend your next day in the infirmary. 

- I appreciate your concern, but it is misguided. 

He shot at me, finally. 

I raised my left hand in the way of the stun beam. Everyone was shocked by this since they all expected me to dodge it. One of them even shouted at me to jump away immediately. I channelled my force powers into the palm of my hand and also extended outwards the energy shield in a half circle about the size of my body in front of me. This shield was almost entirely invisible to people who were not trained in the ways of the force. Only a few small ripples in the air could be seen. The energy beam was of course caught up in this whirlwind-like shield, and it morphed into a weird form, then disappeared in my closing palm. I liked this technique because I could steal energy from blaster shots and even other force techniques sent to harm me. It was the light side way of siphoning energy. It was not that effective, as the dark side version, and it didn't steal life energy from someone else, but transformed a miniscule part of the energies while forcefully disintegrating them. Of course, it can't simply disintegrate any magnitude of energy, but a few hundred normal laser beams or lightning techniques are within it's boundaries. It also could be forcefully overloaded to release it in a controlled manner blasting away a large chunk of the enemy force, if they are unlucky enough to be caught up in it. 

I realized that the clones were unusually silent around me since I was again submerged in my thoughts. 

I straightened my back, and told them the basics of the technique. They were, dumbfounded, hmm... Well, probably I should show some attacking techniques too. I just know the right choice. 

- Okay, now I will show you one of my favorite attack techniques, it is called force lightning.  This will be the one I use most of the time for attacking, also small force pushes, but they don't look half that cool.

The clones only nodded silently and continued to watch me. I closed the front part of my helmet. There was a built-in adaptive light reducing transparisteel built-in it. So my eyes wouldn't hurt from looking into my own lightning, or anything other that normally could have blinded me momentarily. Also, this was the reason why I chose to wear a fingerless glove in the first place. I wouldn't want to blast apart my own clothes with my own lightning. I hold out my left arm pointing towards one of the practice targets. This time I focused a low energy stream into my fingers; I felt as the tension began to prickle my fingertips. Then the first small lightnings appeared; they soon turned into a continuous stream of discharges blasting into the target about ten meters in front of me. The steel droid dummy slowly began to melt, as its head fell to the floor. I decided to stop with the presentation. I turned towards the clones, waiting for their praises. 


Watcher was still standing at the place where he shot the stunner gun at his new Commander. He looked at the deformed form of the melted droid with awe and fear. He began to realize that the girl, wasn't joking about partially cooking a jedi knight.

She finally stopped the lightning show opened up her helmet, and turned towards us with a proud smile, as if hoping, for praise. He also realized something strange, those pink eyes, were nowhere to be found anymore. They were changed to an unnatural yellow color that gave him goosebumps. Wait, they began to change back. He blinked a few times and her eyes, were back in their original color. Was he imagining things? Now it seemed to him that her skin color was much paler than a few minutes ago? Is this some Jedi mind trick? It must be.


The other clones were sitting in their original place, while watching the presentation. Every one of them took differently to the current situation. Dozer, and his two best chums, Ice and Targetman, were watching the lighting with clear fascination. They were clearly enjoying the show. 

Stinger was looking at it with a confronted expression. He most likely hadn't decided yet what to think of it. 

I personally wasn't that shocked. I mean, it looked cool, but a blaster gun was just as effective in my eyes, and much more reliable. 

On the other hand, Watcher seemed to be confused. He stood closest to it; maybe he saw something we don't. Gonna ask him later. Handy was pretending to be uninterested, but I could sense the discomfort radiating from him, and Brain had a thoughtful expression on his face. He was also slowly stroking his chin, most likely contemplating over the possible use of those force techniques. 

I slowly shook my head. What the hell did I get involved in again. 

85