53-54. Chapter
1.3k 4 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the perspective of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

It was the second day of our infiltration into the Zygerrian palace in hopes of rescuing the enslaved togruta tribe members. Anakin managed to enter the palace without much trouble taking Ahsoka with him while me and Rex were hiding in the city built around the palace. We spent the day observing the guards guarding the slave pits and different private auction houses that were made to sell higher quality slaves.

It was immensely disturbing to see these people, selling other sentient races left and right. Even on the common market, aside from the different vegetables and meat just a few stands away, they were selling people like it was the most normal thing in the world. It was a terrible experience to see this many hopeless and lost people in these inhuman conditions. It was hard to witness the raw and terrible consequences of this galactic war. We have failed these people, and even now as I walk next to them, I am unable to help them. What could one man do against such corruption. In the very fabric of the force that surrounded this planet, I felt myself standing against an endless tide of darkness. There were another few spec of light around me. But they were weak and scattered, haunted by their own troubles. They could make a change if they found each other, but how would they manage to do that, and even if it happens it would be a struggle till the very end. This planet was soaked in the dark side. Not as potent as the famous Ex-Sith-controlled planets like Korriban, bless the force, but it was still unusually strong in it. 

The dark presence of this planet haunted me as well, especially on the first day of our arrival. It was hard for me to fall asleep, and even then bad dreams continued to disturb me.

The next morning I slept longer than usually and woke up around seven AM. Rex was not in the room. He must have woken up earlier and left to eat something and continue the search. Clones were like that, mission-oriented, and extremely punctual. A good trait.

I pushed myself off the bed, and proceeded to wash my face in the refreshingly cold water. This planet was not a desert planet, but its current temperature, especially at day time when the sun rose high up in the sky was very hot. Of course we arrived here in the middle of summer. This was not helping our search progress, at all. 

Suddenly a cold shiver ran over my skin, as an ominous feeling began to settle in my stomach. It was making me tense. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying to extend my senses with the help of the force. After a few minutes of this, I found the source of this troubling feeling. It was coming from the direction of the palace... 

-Blast it! What did you do this time, Anakin! 

Not long after, I heard a series of hastened steps closing towards the room. I reached out with the force again to check if the presence of the person was familiar. Luckily, it was, as I sensed Rex's presence getting closer. I waited for him to reach the door. He basically burst into the room. I immediately knew, that something crazy must have happened to make him act like this. 

-Report, trooper! ~ I ordered.

-Yes, sir! ~ He saluted. - The palace is under attack by Separatist droid forces. The Zygerrian guards, and other local military forces had been pushed back to the palace perimeters. I also heard an ominous rumor from the guards that the queen had been assassinated by Separatist forces, in her own castle. A planetwide separatist blockade is currently under construction.

I listened to the report and realized that my ominous premonitions seemed to have taken form. I looked out of the nearby window, as large billows of black smoke were indeed rising into the sky from the general direction of the palace. We did not have a direct view of it from this simple rented room. But it was clear from does smoke clouds, that the situation was bad. 

-... Sigh... Anakin, what did you do this time? 

-General, what are your orders? 

I thought about our chances, it will be risky, but we may be able to pull this off in the middle of this chaos. 

-I will try to contact Anakin, but regardless of his situation, we will try to infiltrate the palace's main slave pits, and rescue as many slaves as possible. We can't leave these people in the middle of the crossfire. Neither the Separatists, nor the Zygerrians will care about them. There are only us. 

-I understand sir. I will pack up our gear, and wait for you in the corridor, while you make the call. 

-Thank you Rex. 


Ten minutes later. 

I tried to call Anakin, for five minutes straight. Of course, he didn't answer my call, at this point. I am not even surprised. Currently me and Rex are running towards the slave pits, where the palace slaves are kept. It was the most logical place to attempt a prison break, as we had already infiltrated into it once; therefore we are familiar with its internal layout, at least to a basic degree. 

As we got closer to the palace, the streets were getting emptier. Everyone had already run away, or most likely hid in their houses waiting for the battle to end. We took a turn to the right, and finally we had a direct vision of the palace. Most of it was the same, at least from the outside; yet the palace walls had a giant breach in them. That was evidently caused by a burned-out separatist tank crashing into it a few minutes ago. The still burning tank was left behind the partially destroyed wall half covered in debris. A bunch of broken droids were laid out on the ground. Just as dead unlucky slaves and civilians who managed to get caught in the crossfire. There were also dead military personals, guards hideously burned by plasma; some to an unrecognizable degree. The palace guards didn't have the plastoid armor as the clone army had. They less effective armor many times simply caught on fire from direct plasma shots. The sickening, sweet smell of burned flesh had interwoven with the disgustingly heavy smell of burnt body hair that thinly covered most of the zygerrians bodies. They are a feline race, after all.

There were still heavy shootouts around us. It was a small miracle that this part of the palace was calm at this moment. I stopped Rex as he wanted to walk further since I realized that a few of the dead bodies were still burning. This massacre was recent. This means it's not a miracle but a trap instead. I looked at Rex, then pointed at the partly burning corpses; he gave me an agreeing nod as he understood my meaning without words. I reached out with the force to search the nearby area for threats. After a few seconds of this, I managed to find five presences. Two hiding behind rubble, and three others hiding in some type of bushes a bit farther, on the other side of the wall. From their presence I knew that they were living beings. Therefore, they could be civilians, slaves or members of the zygerrian army. I could not sense any other presence nearby. I waved for Rex to cover me, while I walked into the trap head-on, deciding to trigger it and see what would happen. There was no other way for us to get inside the palace garden. The slave pits were next to the garden, and you could only access them from that direction. Last time we entered we acted like possible buyers and were let inside to inspect the merchandise. 

Soon after we walked through the destroyed section in the wall, we saw a large quantity of destroyed droid parts covering the ground. Then a single shot of a red laser beam hit the broken off head of a nearby b1 droid. We stopped in our tracks, ready for anything. 

A voice came from the direction I sensed two of the five presences. The other three were farther behind the bushes and strange plants of the palace garden. They were still unmoving. 

-Stop! One more step, and it will be your forehead that is charged by a blaster shot, bastards. Show me your hands and take off your helmet; I want to see your face. 

Well, that was an interesting request. I looked at Rex, who was standing a few steps behind me, aiming with his two blaster pistols towards the general direction of their voices. We couldn't see them yet, but I sensed their presence laying behind some of the debris just in front of us. Although Rex didn't have his enchanted vision without his scanners that were otherwise built into his helmet. Unfortunately, these zygerrian helmets were not as advanced in military technology.

-Why do you want to see our faces? ~I asked.

-Why do we want... Really, why do we want that boss? ~Asked the same voice that gave us the previous warning.

-Why else would we want that you fucking moron! They can be commando droids in disguise from all we know! Take off your helmet before I lose my patience! ~Shouted a second voice from farther behind the barricades from the direction of the other three presences I sensed. 

-Yeah, you heard the boss take off your helmet!

-Okay, okay. We will do it. 

I waved for Rex to cover me until I took off my helmet, and only after that take off his own. After we completed their request, there was silence that stretched out for a while. 

-We did, as you asked, we are not droids; I think it is time to show your face as well. 

There was a sudden movement in the bushes behind the rubble as a shadowy silhouette of a thin man appeared, or more like crawled out of them. 

The man was wearing a red long coat currently covered in fallen leaves and branches. As he began to walk closer while continuously cursing as he futilely tried to shake off the leaves. An ominous feeling appeared in my chest as the form of an obnoxious pirate captain walked out of the shadows in front of my eyes.

The man spread out his arms as if he was expecting a hug from an old friend. His unusually sharp eyes and smug smile shred any still remaining doubts about the identity of this man. 

-Hondo Ohnaka. ~ I stated factually.

-The one and only, at your service. ~He finished my sentence shamelessly, while offering me a small overly enthusiastic bow.

As he straightened his back, he immediately continued. 

-Of all the places, I thought I would met you, I never imagined running into you here...

-Who is he, boss? Is he someone famous? 

Asked the previous voice from behind the rubble. 

-YOU FOOL! Of course he is! This is no one else, but the legendarily infamous jedi diplomat, Obi-Wan Kenobi! 

I sighed... He hadn't changed at all... 

-OOHHH!!! ~ The other two person behind the rubble elicited a loud awe sound. 

-Also, he is one of my old acquaintances. ~ With that stated he turned back to my direction and winked at me. ~We are more like brothers in arms; honestly, we have this spiritual connection through the force. Yes that is it! As if we are the opposite sides of the same coin! 

-It is not spiritual. We are in fact the opposite sides of a coin, and that coin is called the galactic law. ~ I decided to correct his delusions; but the others seemed to completely ignore the part I added. 

-Boss, you are in cahoots with this Jedi! ~Said one of them.

-You indeed have friends in high places. ~Continued the other. At this moment both of them stood up, and I could see two weequay behind the rocks equipped with a heavy laser machinegun. 

Hondo turned back to me, and said while walking closer to grab my shoulder and lead me behind the cover. Rex was tagging along a few steps behind us.

-Ah, Kenobi, you shouldn't get caught in the smallest details. We are friends, there is no need for you to be this shy about it... 

-I am not...

-As a Jedi Master, you must know how the saying goes, a friend in need!

-... sigh... is a friend indeed... I have a feeling that I am going to regret whatever the next thing you say...

-Haha! He is a joker. I always say!

I sighed one more time. Then hid behind the cover of the rocks with the others, as the two last presences appeared from the bushes. My eyes widened as two small togruta kids around six to seven year old ran towards us and hid behind Hondo, while desperately hugging his legs. 

He suddenly raised his arms and began to fake a shout. 

-Ambush! Enemy attack, oh no! Don't kill me. ~ Then he turned towards me, and said in an annoying pleading way. ~ Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope! 

I shook my head weakly, then said.

-You are enjoying this, a bit too much... 

On the other hand, the obviously scared kids, suddenly began to giggle. 

-These togruta kids, are likely part of the tribe I came to rescue. ~ I said, when the momentary chaos seemed to normalize. 

-What? ~Said Hondo, obviously surprised by this outcome. - Are they yours, now that I take a closer look. I think there is a slight resemblance... And you three are equally annoying. Now I see.

-What? Are you mad, of course they are not mine. I am a Jedi Master! ~I shouted while feeling partially horrified by the very suggestion. 

-Nah, don't come up with that nonsense again. Jedi or not, you still need a good shag here and there. 

-What is a shag? Mister? ~Asked the little togruta girl who was now sitting next to the other togruta kid, that was a boy. They seemed to be siblings from the way they continuously supported each other by holding hands.

Hondo looked at the kids, then said it without missing a beat. 

- It's a type of bird like animal, if you are good I will get one for ya. 

- I want a shag too! Said the other boy immediately. 

- Okay-okay, you will get one too. Ergh.. little leeches are already stealing my money; I am kind of proud. ~Sniffs while he wipes away a non-existent teardrop from his right eye. 

I looked at the kids, who seemed to be happy and relaxed. 

-You are surprisingly good with children. A quality that I didn't expect from a pirate of your calibre.

-And you are not so surprisingly annoying for a famous Jedi Master. I would say we are quit.

I nodded slowly. Then asked him a different question changing the direction of this awkward conversation. 

-Where did you find these kids? 

Hondo, turned serious hearing that question, and the kids seemed to turn sour and sad. 

I looked him in the eye, questioning him with only my eyes, while nodding with my head towards the direction of the nearby slave pits. 

Hondo's eyes narrowed with a flicker of anger, as he very slightly shook his head. It was only now, that I saw that a very large part of the black smoke cloud above the palace originated from the slave pits. There was a fire burning at large in that place. I felt as if my stomach had contracted with the realization. We were late... But why did they kill the slaves, there is no reason for that... 

-Emergency protocol, in case of a rebellion. The droids must have missed these two hiding in a dark corner. 

-What do you plan to do with them? 

-What do I plan? Nothing! They are kids, I couldn't leave them behind like that... I have a heart too, you know? Come on, I love kids!

- But boss, didn't you say just a week ago that you hated kids? 

Awkward silence. 

The two togruta kids looked up at Hondo, with surprised and betrayed gazes. 

Hondo looked down at the kids, then declared it aloud.

-That was then and this is now! Today I love kids!

-I see. ~ I stated, dripping with sarcasm.

-Now I have to make a request to you, Obi-Wan, let me help get these two kids to safety and you can take them back to your precious order, or whatever. 

-Are they force sensitives? 

-How would I know? 

-You are right... I guess we can find them a new home at least.

-No, we want to stay with Mister! He is kind and funny.

-Look at that, they chose me over Kenobi. Can you believe this, and people say kids are good at determining others true personalities. Or wait... could it be? Are you a Sith Kenobi?

-You saved their lives, for them; you are the hero, not me... ~I sighed.~ In this case, they are right too; but no... I am not a Sith.

Hondo, looked at me with a certain question in his eyes. 

-That is exactly what a Sith would say!

I rolled my eyes.

-Bah, it was just a joke. What happened to you, Kenobi. I didn't know that you were the lethargic brooding type, and what about your clone friend, he hadn't even spoken one sentence since you arrived. I guess, even Jedi will eventually burn out in the company of such boring people.

-Shut up, pirate scum. ~Said Rex with obvious hostility.

-The dog that barks usually doesn't bite. 

-Try me.

I interrupted them.

 -Relax Rex, and you too; Hondo. We need to figure out a plan to escape with the kids and also rescue anyone else we can. 

-General, there is a bunch of b1 approaching from the palace. They are clearly coming towards us. 

-Oh for the love of the force. We should get away through the crack in the wall! 

-I am afraid that is not possible. ~Stated Hondo.

I looked at the wall, and saw as a group of armed militants entered through it, hastily getting into shooting positions behind the various types of wreckage. They hadn't noticed us yet, as the marching droids distracted them, yet it was only a matter of time. 

-The only time I need you, Anakin, you are not here. ~I said in a whisper, as the battle tension engulfed the surrounding. 

One of the zygerrian militants began to shout a short motivational speech. 

-Show them, that we are not some backwater cowards that let anyone freely trample over our planet! HisSS! 

The other felines also joined in an animalistic hiss, as one of them launched a rocket into the midst of the droids. Immediately destroying five of them, while injuring another dozen. There were still twenty five droids remaining, functional, while only eight zygerrian soldiers came through the wall. The droids now have activated counter ambush protocols, as they were slowly pushing forward, effectively using every cover they could find.

Two other droids were destroyed, this way, as the first casualty happened on the zygerrian's side. One man got hit in the face with a well-aimed plasma beam. It happened when he tried to fire over the meagre barricade he had. He died immediately, at least.

The droids were quickly analyzing the zygerrians simple strategy. As they suppressed them with continuous fire while getting closer. Another zygerrian died, this time no droids were destroyed.

If this goes on, we will be killed by the droids. I looked at Hondo. It seemed that he also got to this conclusion as a wide smirk appeared across his face. Our current position was more than ideal to flank the droids. They didn't expect an attack from this side at all. I pushed the kids to the ground and took a defensive formation, to deflect any incoming blaster shot, the two weequey began to fire with the heavy blaster gun. Hondo, and Rex were also shooting at the droids with increasing fervor. Eight b1 was destroyed in the matter of seconds, while the others were confused. This was our only chance, the few seconds of time, while the droids were re-evaluating the situation and changing to the most ideal battle protocol. They were currently trying to scan every new detail around them. It only took a few seconds, but it was enough. It had to be enough. 

The still-alive six zygerrian soldiers were just as surprised as the droids. But they quickly adopted to the new situation as they realized this was likely the only opportunity to turn the flow of the battle into our favor. This was the time for living organisms to shine over computers. Living beings are still quicker to adapt to new situations. It is what we do from the very moment we are born, after all. We react to external impulses. While computers, and therefore droids, will always try to make the best possible decision. They will recalculate until they find the ideal result. People on the other hand, simply react by instinct. It usually means, that we don't choose the best possible solution. But we chose it almost immediately.

Three of the still alive zygerrians hissed at the droids, as they charged at them while jumping left and right, dancing around the laser bolts the confused droids shot towards them while the other three focused on shooting down those exact droids that were firing at their friends. In the meantime, five more droids fell to the ground from our concentrated shooting. One of the charging cats, a female one, got hit in the leg, and fell to the ground, where it was blasted apart in mere seconds. Seeing this, the other two charging soldiers basically hurled themselves at the droids. A high-pitched vibrating sound emerged as the zygarrians, one female and a male one, pulled out a pair of vibroblades and began to shred apart the droids, while dancing between them in an incredibly dexterous manner. The last ten B1 droids were either blasted down or cut apart by furious vibroblade swings.

Everyone around was silent after the last droid hit the ground cut in two at its mid section. The two zygerrian warriors who managed to get into enemy lines were breathing heavily. One of them, the male suddenly throw up blood. As he fell to the ground, violently shook a few times, then stopped moving forever, he was hit in the stomach with a laser shot. He likely didn't even notice it until the very last moment. I looked to the other three who were supporting their friends with blaster guns. One of them got hit in the chest and died. The other two seemed to be alright, mostly. They gave us a simple nod, then they began to check on their fallen friends. Unfortunately, it soon became clear that none of the fallen troopers survived. 

In the end, our ambush was successful. I didn't even have to ignite my lightsaber, as none of the confused droid shots that came our way were close enough to actually hit us. This seemed to be a fortunate thing, because if the three still living zygerrian soldiers realized that I am a jedi, we would likely end up trying to kill each other. 

That very moment I heard a familiar noise and looked to the sky, searching for something... I found it. 

-Boys, it is time for us to leave. 

Everyone, even the other zygerrians heard my ominous voice and simultaneously looked to the sky. There was a military convoy of smaller HMP Droid Gunships heading towards our position. It was also followed by a huge C-9979 landing craft in the distance. This is getting out of hand. 

We watched helplessly as the gunships got closer. Soon they opened fire, but they were not aiming at us. They were shooting at the palace. The symbol of the New Zygerrian Empire. These tactics were familiar, ruthless, but effective in their nature. Intended to humiliate and destroy the national pride of systems, and nations. Often used by Count Dooku, a decisive attack to lower the enemy's morale.

The roof of the palace's throne room, was already partially collapsed from the continuous attacks. It would only take a few more shots and it would give in entirely. 

Instead of that happening, a few dozen rockets hit three of the droid gunships. Two of them blew up in a ball of flames, while the third one started to spin and eventually crashed down somewhere outside of the palace garden.

The zygerrian guards next to us began to cheer loudly, as they saw the droid ships being blasted to pieces. Three much smaller but also much faster ships appeared. They were clearly forming a squad as they flew in formation. But the happiness was short-lived, as one of the zygerrian fighter pilots was shot down by a precisely shot laser beam from another droid gunship. There were more of them, and this time a pack of vulture droids came too. They immediately began to chase the two remaining pilots; they broke formation and engaged in a hopeless battle. They managed to destroy three vulture starfighters, before they were destroyed. 

The three incoming gunships descended towards the palace courtyard, and that caused us to end our daydreaming session. I picked up the kids, and left the way we entered the garden. The other three zygerrians also followed us, a woman with a vibroblade and a handgun, and two men with antipersonnel blaster rifles. While we were running, the sounds of heavy lasers currently shredding apart the palace accompanied us. 

No one stopped to look back. We simply ran in silence. The kids in my arms were looking at the sky, with wide open eyes, so I also looked up for a short moment. There were hundreds of different ships currently engaging the swarms of vulture droids. Heavy stationary anti-starfighter turrets from the ground began to support the zygerrian fighter pilots somehow stopping the invading force. Every second there were a bunch of small lights flickering in and out of existence. Each and every one signalled the destruction of a fighter ship. Somewhere from the left of us big columns of laser beams were shot towards the sky. There was a military base nearby, it was clear to me. Therefore, at the next possible turn I headed in the exact opposite direction. 

The three zygerrian soldiers stopped in their tracts, and shouted after us. 

-Where are you going!? The base is that way! We need to get reinforcement! ~Shouted one of the male troopers. The other two also seemed to agree on this, from their questioning expression. 

I slowed down, and turned around and shouted back at them, as a dark expression appeared on my face. I have experienced many battles against the separatist fleets. And if this one is indeed led by Dooku...

-No... there will be nothing left for us by the time we reach it. 

-What do you mean by that!? ~Shouted the female warrior back to me. 

-I pray that I am wrong... but... 

I saw as the sky's color above us suddenly turned orange, then red as five consecutive super heavy turbo laser beams flew across the sky, vertically, crashing into the place where the military base was supposed to be located. The very first shot melted through the shields that were defending the base. It was clearly not created to deflect planetary bombardment. The place was probably an hour's walking distance from our current position. 

The earth tremored with each hit under our feet, as the whole city shook. Then the deep roaring sounds also reached us creating a noise that I have experienced far too many times in these two years... They were still haunting me in my dreams, and they will continue to do so... for many years to come... 

The zygarrian girl, fell to her knees, witnessing the sheer destruction of separatist weapons for the first time. She was clearly shocked at this moment... I recognized that expression. I see it far too many times these days, and I have experienced it myself. One time... 

-You have my sympathy, for your loss. There will be time to mourn later. Your family and your friends wouldn't want you to die either. ~Then I took up the pace, as the pirates followed me. 

The woman stood up, and with the help of her still alive crewmates, they began to follow us. 

In the air above us, the invasion forces began to overwhelm and in the end cut through the weakened resistance. The ground defensive bases around the planet were destroyed one by one. They still managed to thin enemy numbers, damaging a bunch of battleships and destroying thousands of starfighters. 

On the horizon, the sky color was flickering between red and blue, as the bombardment happened around the whole planet. Luckily, it was focused on military bases, for now. 

-Where do we plan to go? Kenobi? ~Asked Hondo out of the blue. 

-I have a ship in the docks. If it is not destroyed we can use it to find Anakin... 

-Ah, so he is here too, now I see! So those kids are his!

-... I don't know about that... but if they are... I will kick his ass, straight out of the order.

-HAH! Can I watch it? He is annoying as hell. 


Outside of the city, underground in a cave. From the perspective of Nizzal.

-Aachuuuu!..

-Did you get cold, Master? 

-I hope not... Snips, but I already hate this place... There are two things that I hate, and both of them are present here. 

-Let me guess, master? One of them is sand? 

-...? How did you know? 

-Well, one time when we visited Naboo as representatives of the jedi order, you fell asleep, in your seat next to me, and began to speak in your dreams, constantly mumbling about sand and how you hated it... It was pretty hilarious, so I remembered it. 

-Ahsoka... did I often speak in my dreams, like that? 

-No? Otherwise, you would be kicked out of the order already... I guess that is only a matter of time now... 

-Ahsoka! What do you mean by that? 

-Heh. Make me to tell you, then! ~She ran away. 

-What? Don't you start and act smug with me, come back here! Right now! ~He began to shout after her.

-Sigh... what is this place? You told me, that you know of a good hiding place? This is nothing but a cave and it's creepy as hell, at least the kids are getting along.  ~ I stated just as loudly for them to hear.

Both of them turned towards me and shouted. 

-Shut it!

-Shut up!

-Sigh... 

-Both of you could become my grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand... children.

-You are ridiculous, and boring. ~Stated Laora, who was standing just behind me, then she walked away. That was the moment when I realized that everyone had left me here... Fuck... This is awkward.

-... 

 

49