59. Chapter
1.1k 2 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Coruscant the Elder's house. An emergency meeting had been called after republic informators reported a large military movement from the separatist armies. The enemy fleets had been sent towards Zyggeria, of all places, and a world-wide blockade had been created around the planet. Meanwhile, a planet-wise invasion had begun just a few hours ago, and hundreds if not thousands of small and wide scale skirmishes are currently happening on the planet's surface. There had been reports of massive planetary bombardments and ominous rumors that the Zygerrian Queen had been assassinated by none other than Count Dooku. Those particular rumors even managed to reach the ears of the Jedi High Council. 

This completely unforeseen turn of events led to the immediate emergency meeting of the council. In the council room, every council member who was able to appear be that personally or in the form of a blue hologram, was present. 

The masters present physically were Grandmaster Yoda, Master Eeth Koth who is an Iridonian Zabrak, Adi Gallia a Tholothian Jedi Master and Saesee Tiin Iktotchi Jedi Master.

The rest of the council members appeared in a holographical form, as they were sent out in the galaxy on many different missions, serving as diplomats or generals of the clone armies. 

Those masters were, Mace Windu, Plo Koon from the race of Kel Dor, Ki-Adi-Mundi a Cerean Master, Oppo Rancisis a Thisspiasian, Shaak Ti a togruta and Kit Fisto who is a Nautolan.

Ten members of the Jedi High Council were present. The recently deceased Master Even Piell's place on the council had not been filled yet, and Obi-Wan Kenobi couldn't be reached since he was currently on a mission on Zygerria. The planet that had been the centrum of attention because of this internal war in the hearth of the Separatist systems.

The moment Kit Fisto's smiling hologram appeared at last, the council meeting officially began. 

As it was tradition, the Grandmaster of the order opened the discussion.

-As you all must have already know, Zygerria, the newly reborn slave empire and a distinctly separatist and radical planet, this morning had been attacked with a complete invasion force of the separatist droid armies. The planet is completely surrounded. The communication signals are disturbed. Therefore, we  lost the means to communicate with Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, Knight Anakin Skywalker, and his padawan Ahsoka Tano, who were sent in an infiltrating and rescue operation to locate the position of an enslaved togruta tribe. Our last communication with Master Kenobi, happened last night. He didn't observe anything unusual that could serve as a possible explanation for this sudden new situation.  Yet, he has stated one troublesome thing, and that was the following information. Anakin and Ahsoka met Nizzal the Gray inside the palace, who was currently working as a personal servant of the queen. We have requested him to find a way to bring back the girl, even if that means capturing her. I do not believe that this is the result of a failed attempt to capture her. It would be too soon for that. Master Obi-Wan isn't impatient. He would never make such an error. I request the council advise on this matter, what should our next move be. Speak your mind freely, my dear friends. 

After Yoda further described the situation, an ominous silence fell on the entirety of the council. 

After a few minutes of silent contemplation, Master Ki-Adi Mundi decided to speak up. 

-I personally think, that the beginning of such internal strife in our enemies lines was nothing more than a matter of time. Our enemies methods were always questionable. They were slavers and in many cases downright criminals. It is their way to solve their conflicts. I say, it is a good thing if anything. Let them destroy each other, if they wish so. 

There was a series of whispering in the room as Master Mundi finished his monologue. Next to speak up was Mace Windu.

-I for one, agree with Master Mundi. We are constantly facing overwhelming numbers of droids on every front. I feel for the innocents of Zygerria, but the planet's position is far beyond the main separatist spaces, and we have little dominance in those regions. Even if we wish to, it is impossible to organize a large scale attack that could break through the blockade. And what would we gain in the process, nothing but the tyresome responsibility to handle a world that is controlled by slavers and crooks. We have already failed to tame the beast called Zygerria once, and that was in relative peace time. We can't waste resources in a useless endevour. However, we need to at least rescue Obi-Wan and his company, if he didn't leave the planet before the blockade was finished, that is. We should wait till tomorrow, if he doesn't report in, we should proceed with a stealth evacuation mission. 

There were a series of agreeing nods, and murmurs around hearing Master Windu's suggestion. Adi Gallia was the next one who chose to speak. 

-I volunteer myself to lead the evacuation force, if the need arises. I have no other more important obligation right now, and I rested enough from my last injury to go. 

Yoda nodded to her request.

-Good, you will go then, if the need arises. 

-Thank you, Grandmaster. 

Oppo Rancisis took over the lead in the conversation. 

-What should we do with the girl? Should we try to capture her, or only focus on the evacuation.

There was another wave of uncertain silence. Then Shaak Ti stated. 

-Masters, if you allow me, I think that we should not chase the girl in a warzone, if she comes from her own will, then be it, but do not chase her. We can't allow to lose another council member, not so soon after Yarael Poof, Yaddle, Coleman Trebor and Even Piell's recent departure. Depa Billaba is also heavily injured, so much so that she had to momentarily retire from her duties to focus on recuperation. Although there are others to place in council member positions, but it would heavily damage the morale of the people, to witness the death of more members of the Jedi High Council. Its possible effect on military morale could be devastating. 

Oppo Rancisis continued after Shaak Ti finished her speech. 

-Viewing the situation strictly from a strategic perspective, I wholeheartedly agree with Master Ti's proposal. We shouldn't take such risks in an already uncertain situation. There would be a heavy price to pay for such arrogance. 

Yoda nodded to that and closed the topic of the evacuation mission for now. 

-Good, then, for now, we will wait for Obi-Wan's report. Let us hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. The last thing we need to talk about is the possible repercussions of this internal strife between the Separatist. What could have caused it, any suggestions? Hmm?

The holocommunicator device placed in the middle of the council room suddenly activated and the form of an extremely tired and visibly injured Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared.

-This is Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Master. I have managed to leave the battle-ridden atmosphere of Zygerria through a momentary opening in the blockade. I think, Zyggerian troopers managed to infiltrate a separatist battleship, and they took over its bridge. In the momentary chaos they shot down another battleship and rammed themselves into a second one. This way destroying the blockade above an entire sector. Hundreds of Zyggerian ships exited the planet escaping into hyperspace. I am on one of those ships, did you hear anything about Anakin and Ahsoka? We lost connection when the battle began in the palace, and since then I have failed to reach them. As if the very earth had swallowed them whole! I am worried for them, since the whole battle started in the palace, and it quickly extended outwards. I have seen quite a few battles, but this one is one of the worsts... It is practically a meat grinder right now... 

Everybody seemed relieved when they saw Kenobi alive and without any serious injuries. No one has said it yet, but most of the council members had doubts about his possible safe return. Thankfully the force willed it otherwise, and their dear friend, were still alive.  However, the atmosphere quickly turned sour, when they heard the news about Anakin and Ahsoka's disappearance. They were in the centrum of the events. If Master Kenobi could hardly escape, how much of a chance could Anakin and Ahsoka have?

Grandmaster Yoda had taken the responsibility to inform Kenobi about the unfortunate possibilities. 

-General Kenobi, I am afraid that we couldn't provide any information about the wellbeing of Anakin and his padawan. They did not contact us... You should be aware of the possibility, that they might have been captured by the enemy, or worse. If it is so, we will enter negotiations for their release when the time arrives. Until then, we can only hope and plan for a possible rescue mission, if we have enough information. 

-... I understand, Master.

-Now then, we must ask you to share every bit of information you have on the situation. Tell us everything you know.

Kenobi began to report on his mission from the beginning to the best of his abilities, while the council listened in silence. 


On the planet of Zyggeria, in an underground cave, covered by thick layers of water and rock, a tall golden pyramid like building finally rose out of its thirty year-long entombment. It had a completely unfamiliar and downright alien design. Neither Ahsoka nor Anakin had ever seen anything like this.

From the perspective of Anakin.

This thing, it didn't resemble any known culture's building style I had seen or ever learned of. It was simplistic in design, yet it still managed to express a refined taste. The most unusual thing was this. When I try to focus my eyes on a single part of it, I always find my gaze wandering in such a way as to look at its entirety as a whole. As if an invisible force tried to tell me that I was supposed to look at it in that way. It was an artistic creation, that was nothing special; if you studied its small details. The moment you look at the whole picture, each of those small details, as one, were creating something magnificent.

Only when a few minutes had passed since we managed to lift the building above ground, did I realize that I was just standing there, awestruck looking at this thing in front of me. I forcefully shook off my stupor, and turned around to check on Ahsoka. Lifting this thing was an extremely exhausting feat after all. Damn, I felt completely exhausted after managing such a thing. At first I thought that we wouldn't pull it off. I don't blame the blue girl for not wanting to do it alone... 

-Are you okay Snips?

She is just as awestruck as I must have been seconds ago. Even her mouth is partially open, heh. Whatever, she seems alright, if a bit exhausted. I looked over Ahsoka's head because some small movements attracted my attention. My eyes widened as I realized, that every one of the force sensitives were standing around. All of them seemed exhausted, yet they were happily smiling, looking at each other, from time to time, sharing knowing glances. Nizzal was standing just a few steps from us. She had a large red mark in the middle of her forehead... What the hell, did she fall on her face? 

She saw what I was looking at, then sent me a glare and said.

-Don't ask.

-Didn't planned to. 

-Good then.

I smiled and turned around, while weakly shaking my head. So that was the reason why we managed to lift it in the end... Everybody joined. 

I looked up at the large building. 

There was just a single row of stairs leading up to its top, where a hollow triangular arch was carefully placed. The building was about thirty meters high, and it seemed as if it was created from a single piece of metal. Such things were not unlikely at this time and age of space exploration, but they were definitely not the norm. Especially in this size! A thirty meter tall building formed from a single piece of melted metal. It spoke of an extremely advanced technology, one that could create a reusable form for a building to create it in a standardized production. And to think that the building they create in such a way is supposed to be a star gate of all things... What the... 

I took a step closer, then stopped as a thought, almost forcefully, jumped into the forefront of my mind. 

Unity.

I looked around, seeing if I imagined things, or if someone actually talked to me? Well, no one was looking towards me, so probably nobody had spoken to me... But then, what? Sigh... I must be more tired than I thought.

-So what now, I asked?

-What do you mean, master?

Asked Ahsoka, but when she stepped closer, her eyes widened for a second, and she looked around just like I did... So I was not imagining things after all... 

-I mean, are we going up or what? 

This time Aomi stepped closer, after she apologetically petted the head of Nizzal on the way... She seemed to smile for a second, but then immediately covered it up while acting as a genuinely sulking kid... Aomi only smiled at that, and walked closer to us. She didn't react in any obvious way, to a voice speaking in her head... I guess that is expected, if she is the one who built the thing, or brought it here... I don't know which one is less believable.

I guess I will figure it out soon enough. 

Aomi walked by I followed her, next to me. Nizzal and Ahsoka were coming along. 

-Oh wow... What happened to your face? 

Asked Ahsoka immediately, and I had to stifle my laugh. 

-Ugh... 

Was the only answer from the other girl. 

-Did you fall on your face? 

-... I guess you can say that... 

I was kind of feeling sorry for Nizzal at this moment... Next time she might think twice before placing in a force choke an opponent she can't possibly defeat, well, I guess she only wanted to stop Aomi to tell something awkward about her... But I can already guess, from the little she told us, what this was all about... In the end, Aomi easily dispelled her attack and she clearly suffered the consequences in the form of some type of force push. Yeah, we all heard her scream like a banshee from the direction of the ship. Was it worth it... I don't know about that... 

The rest of the team followed us to the top. 

-So how does this thing work? 

I asked. 

-That's a secret, I don't plan to share, I am afraid. But you are welcome to try and figure it out on your own. We managed to do it, after all, in a few thousands of years. 

She said while smiling at me playfully. I can't seem to figure out this woman. Is she trying to annoy me or is she really that desperate? 

-You are thinking about something rude... judging from your expression boy. 

-W-well, I was trying to figure out if you were joking back there...

-Hmmm... was that it? ~She smiled at me knowingly. - I did not joke, you know, our little sect, aside from trying to reach a balance in the force used to have a lot of free time... We decided that seeking knowledge and exploring the universe is the next best thing to do. So we have found a lot of alien technology, new races and mysterious planets along the way. The galaxy is a pretty big thing... 

The whole pyramid began to hum under our feets as the triangular hollow arch at the top began to fill with a swirling blue colored energy. 

-This one is one of the most mysterious alien tech we found and even managed to activate, or rebuild in the end. Cool isn't it? 

-Impressive. 

She looked at me with an annoyed expression, as if she was trying to say, is that all? 

-Well, I will say more, if it actually manages to send us away in one piece. 

-Ah I see! Then allow me. 

She stepped closer to the gate. She smiled at me one more time... then walked into the blue swirling energy vortex. The moment she touched the vortex, her body completely dissapeared.

We stood in complete silence... what was that... 

Nizzal stepped forward now. She turned halfway behind, and said. 

-Go one at a time, and hold your breath before you walk through. That's it really. See you on the other side. 

Then she also disappeared. 

I looked at Rika, and asked. 

-What happens if we walk in at the same time? 

She looked at me, and her face turned pale from my question. That is probably more than I wished to know... 

Laora shouted at us. 

-Next one please. 

I took in a fresh breath of air and stepped into the gate while holding my breath. The moment I touched it, I felt an incredible power pull me into the gate. It happened so fast that I had no time to feel pain or shout. Then darkness, and silence welcomed me. It was cold, nothingness. I didn't know how much time went by. When I felt another wave of pain and suddenly I was standing in knee-high green grass. I felt a small hand grab my arm and pull me away from the gate, while I was feeling extremely confused. I looked up, and realized that it was Nizzal, who was pulling me out of the way, so instead of questioning her, I followed on my own. 

I sensed a nearby star's warm rays caressing my skin and heard as hundreds of birds were singing around us. There was a stream nearby, I could hear the sound of flowing water.

When we stopped I began to look around. We were in the middle of a forest? Everywhere I looked I saw nature, but it was too orderly to be a normal forest... It must be a park, then... I looked up to the sky... and froze... 

Above us there was no sky, just a cupola, that was at least a few kilometers high, and who knows how wide, I could not see its end... I turned around and I saw a bright energy source shining in above us. It was like a small sun... I realized as this thing was clearly functioning as such. Its light was warming up my skin just similarly to a true star. Under the mechanical star, and above the shroud of the trees I could see a giant golden pyramid. It was hundreds of times bigger than the one we used to come here for. It was almost reaching the top of the cupola that served as a mechanical atmospheric border. Only now did I realize, that the sun I had seen before, was basically placed on the top of that pyramid. 

-WOOOAHH?! What is this place!? I.. is that a star? Master, do you see it? 

-Y-yes, I see it... I don't know what that is... 

-Haha! 

Sounded a healthy laughter nearby. 

I turned towards the sound, still heavily shocked by the new spectacle. Aomi was looking at me and smiling from ear to ear. 

-Now, that is the expression I was looking for. Master Jedi. 

She clapped her hands a few times. I realized that everybody had already arrived, and the gate had been turned off. 

Aomi walked closer to me. She grabbed one of my hands and also Ahsoka's hand and said happily. 

-Welcome to our home! Which is accidentally one of our greatest discoveries, a lost city of an unknown race that was extremely knowledgeable of space travel. Through the intuitive use of the force, and thousands of years  of effort, we managed to understand a large part of their technologies. They were far beyond space-bending technologies than our widest dreams would ever imagine. This is our home, for a long time. Here, we are untouchable. No one could reach this place, without us letting them in! 

-Welcome to the city of Unity!

-...

-Cool!

Said Ahsoka and she even began to clap for her small speech.

-You seem sure about the fact that the separatists or the republic will never find this place. I am interested why? 

Aomi gave me an ominously playful smile. 

-Well, you see Anakin, even if they would know the exact place to find us. They wouldn't have time to reach us. 

What the heck is she talking about? They wouldn't have time? With hyperspace technology... except... if... but that... is ridiculous...

-What do you mean? 

-Because we, my Jedi friends, are currently in a different galaxy. 

-...What?

I said in complete shock.

-SO COOL!

Shouted Ahsoka in the background. 

 

49