116. Chapter
243 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-From the perspective of Suye-

We have been searching for an hour and a half now, explored the first large chamber, which we arrived to after climbing down the wall earlier, and have already checked about four smaller chambers of the ancient ruins. It was hard work to look through the dust and sand covered remains of the once feared civilization. Searching for anything valuable was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

However, that did not make us any less motivated. We were treasure hunters for a reason.

It didn’t take that long until the first successful finding had been uncovered. It was Bamadal who found it, who was our oldest member and therefore the most experienced one. He turned forty-one a few months back. I didn’t know him for too long, and he was not exactly the kind of man you could talk to in a relaxed manner.

He was a scary-looking guy, bald with small dark brown eyes always looking down at you in thick scrutiny, and an ugly scar covering the lower part of his left cheek. Aside from that, his actions only strengthened that impression of mine. He was easily irritated, and his words always sounded like he was angry at the whole world. A humor fueled suspicion of mine that I was beginning to think was actually true. Because of that, I barely ever talked to him and tended to avoid his presence whenever I had the chance.

I took a glance and saw a bunch of glittering coins in Bamadal’s hand before he pocketed them with deft movements. I was a bit envious seeing the glinting metal pieces rolling between his rough fingers, but I forcefully distracted myself in hopes of finding my own little treasures.

It was always like that. Both a thrill and a competition. This was the part I really enjoyed about this whole job. Not even mentioning that the one who found the treasures got a higher percent from that particular loot. It was how we agreed upon. Our earning was shared between us, but the ones who contributed the most will get a bonus for extra motivation.

It worked like a charm.

I continued to search while still thinking about our first findings here.

Old coins were pretty common findings, but always appreciated. It was relatively easy to find a collector for such items, and get a reasonable price for them. This is going to be even easier if we add the fact that these particular ones were found in one of the Sith academies placed on Korriban. Naturally, we are going to prove such statements with a series of pictures and even video captures from the expedition. Those things were usually the responsibilities of Ligo, our boss.

Still, Bamadal’s skills in finding hidden stuff or things with some value in ruins like this one were the best among us.

I sighed while sweeping off another layer of dust from a partially broken stone bench. I looked under it to see if there was anything stuck there. It was empty, aside from a few ancient cobwebs covered in small dust and sand particles.

I straightened my back and continued my search with a new vigor, as the recently uncovered loot boosted everyone’s morale. It was a sign that there were things to be found here. While doing so, my mind rambled with different thoughts. My body did not need my constant attention after all. It was on autopilot with the familiar- likely ingrained motions.

I only joined this particular team about half a year ago and was still trying to find my role among the others. I had no specific position just yet. It will remain like this until I learn most of the more intricate parts of the job, then I will eventually receive a more specific job based on my showcased abilities.

In the meantime, I carefully checked behind some debris, searched some corners in the current room, and after not finding anything worth my time, eventually decided to leave behind this room as well, and headed towards the other end of the dark and ominous corridor, of which I was starting to get used to.

What a gloomy thought, indeed.

I heard that my predecessor died in an accident a few months before I joined the party, but I didn’t ask too much about the awkward topic. Seemed wiser that way, and eventually, most of them warmed up to me… it would be stupid to ask now, and it was fine this was.

Sometimes it was still annoying to be the so called new member, or more likely the newest member… I was working with them for over half a year damnit and they still preferred to refer to me like that. Most likely to annoy me…

While I walked, I looked into a few rooms on the way, only to realize that all of them were taken by one of our members. It was ineffective to search in the same room, if it was only this big. You would likely end up searching the same places twice, which was stupid and a waste of time and energy.

Therefore, I walked past those rooms searching for one that was still free to take. Unfortunately, it turned out that there were no more rooms in this corridor, at least not the ones you could search. Some rooms have collapsed over the years of neglect or because of some long past conflicts. They might still be holding some valuables, but it was too risky and too much effort to try to clear out the debris and reach those envisioned treasures. Which might just end up being that, the works of your overworking imagination.

I headed towards the end of the corridor. There was a double turn in the path. First it headed right, and soon after, it turned left once more. When I turned at the last corner, still mostly submerged in my jumping around thoughts, I felt my heart skip a beat, and an almost painful spike run through my chest. My pulse was quickening as I blinked with confusion.

However, even after a few hasty blinks, the reality which I was looking at in a disbelieving expression seemed to remain spread bare in front of my eyes.

There was a pressure door here.

It was right in front of me.

And based on the inconspicuously blinking lights on the door’s control panel… it was very much in a functioning order, and even connected to some stable energy source.

My jaw dropped silently.

My gaze wandered down to the sand covered floor, and as I turned my flashlight towards the fine sand, covering every part of the ground, I could clearly see footsteps. Footsteps that were heading behind the door I was facing.

-Ugh…

Was the only sound I could make as I tried to connect the dots in my head. As the seconds passed, the meaning of the current outcome started to become ever the scarier.

I turned tail and ran back to Ligo, as fast as I could. Telling this to him was of the utmost importance.

-From a general perspective-

A few minutes later, the whole team was assembled and standing in a strained silence while looking at the door at the end of the corridor.

-I told you!

Came the slightly quivering voice, filled with equal excitement and fear from the back of the group. It naturally belonged to Suye, their newest member, who just informed them about her latest finding.

-Dam’ straight!

Stated Quagr, in a rare moment when he actually used his brain to speak the galactic basic.

Ligo looked at the door with a raised eyebrow and stepped closer.

Bamadal grabbed his arm and stopped him. Which caused the man to turn around halfway and pierce him with an annoyed glare. This caused Bamadal to let go of his arm, otherwise he met his glare straight on.

A few tense seconds passed like that, then Bamadal said with a growl.

-Can’t you see that this place is not as abandoned as we initially believed it to be? This is not what we agreed upon. Based on the footprints marking the ground, it is obvious that there was recent activity here. I don’t know what you think, but I am not going to raid someone’s place, especially if that someone is capable of living on a planet like this.

Ligo seemed to think over the words that Bamadal said. Then he looked at him with a thoughtful expression and said.

-I can obviously see that, and who the hell said that I was planning to raid this place? I was merely interested in the person who chose to live in such a unique environment.

Bamadal fumed with barely suppressed fury as he answered in a half whisper.

-Ligo, you damned bastard; I know you better than anyone here. You are not going to fool me, fucker! And no! I am not interested in the fucking owner of this place, since I have the capability to understand that such people typically do not appreciate company, especially if said company is unannounced.

Listening to Bamadal’s rant, Ligo turned serious as well. He waited for the man to finish what he wanted to say, then looked him in the eye and asked.

-Are you finished? Good. Then tell me, old friend, what the hell am I supposed to do right now? Hmm? Should we turn tail and flee in blind panic because some baffling ass hermit made camp in an unlikely place? We have been planning this excavation for two weeks now. We can’t just leave like that with nothing but a handful of coins in your pocket! That is what I would call ridiculous!

A tense silence filled the corridor. The crew was trying to make up their minds about what to do. Eventually Ligo grew tired of the silence and stated in a gruff tone.

-If you guys don’t have any better plan, then I suggest that you stay silent and do what I say. First of all, Quagr, open the door using one of those computer spikes you brought along. No! Don’t even try to tell me that you don’t have any. I am not in the mood for meaningless arguments right now.

Quagr walked to the control panel and started the process of overriding it.

In the meantime, Ligo leaned against the left side of the corridor, his blaster pistol drawn and ready in his grasp, waving to the rest of his crew to follow his lead, and they did, if a bit grudgingly at first.

The atmosphere in the dark tunnel became a lot tenser than it ever was since the beginning of the expedition. As the space adventurers’ hearts hammered inside their chests, their awareness skyrocketed, eyes trembling slightly in the dim light.

Suddenly, a high pinging sound expanded, which was immediately followed by the opening door. As the mechanical door pulled back itself into its built in socket, leaving the way free for them to pass. Another series of corridors were uncovered in front of them.

Alas, these were very different from the previous ones. They were just as ancient, but a lot less abandoned. The old oil holders, carved into the walls, were filled with small flame tongues, burning and providing light for those who chose to wander them. The floor was reasonably clear, and there were even a few tapestries hanging from the walls here and there.

Aside from that, the dimly lighted corridors were just as silent as any previous one was. Which made them doubt if they were looking at an illusion of some sort.

Cold air brushed against the dusty faces in the dim lights, while their eyes anxiously darted across the eery surfaces.

At last, Ligo spoke up after carefully reconsidering his earlier decision. He could immediately tell that something wasn’t right about this place. The air was feeling unnaturally cold and heavy here. It was risky, yes… but it was intriguing. It felt as if he had traveled back in time by opening this door. It was obviously not the case, but the drastic change in the environment created the illusion for his brain, and the rest of them, too.

He couldn’t allow himself to show signs of uncertainty right now. That would only scare the rest. Bamadal was already thinking about getting out of here. This could be their biggest exploration yet. He could not allow it to go awry.

Realizing this, he stepped forward, acting the part of the unmovable captain and stated in a strong voice.

-What are you gawking at? Let’s check out this place. Didn’t you want to find the owner?

-When did I say that?

Asked Bamadal in an annoyed, but awed tone, he was still under the effect of this unexpected discovery.

Quagr only growled something unintelligible in the background, while Suye was looking with a shocked expression and Malle licked her lips lightly, no doubt in anticipation of the values we could liberate from this place.

Without further delay. The small group grasped onto their weapons and started to head inside the ominous place. This time, there was no joking between them. Only their cold, well practiced professionalism.

About five minutes of constant walking later. The corridor now stretched both in front of them and behind them. There was yet to be found a single side door or room which they could look into. The initial effects of the surprise began to wane now.

Malle couldn’t hold back her words anymore. She spoke up in annoyance, as the corridor didn’t seem to come to an end.

-How long do they make these stupid corridors… damn, should have brought along my speeder…

The snarky comment triggered a small, amused smirk from most of the crew and allowed them to relax their tense shoulders, if only a bit.

Fortunately, the long corridor didn’t last that much longer, and the tension came back when they saw the tight corridor expanding into a larger hall just in front of them.

They exchanged quick silent glances at one another and continued their way, becoming even more conscious if it was possible.

The five-man team slowly entered the huge empty hall. There was no furniture placed in the even darker room. The only light source in the place was a similar oil lamp, which was used in the corridor, except it was a few times the size of those. It was motionlessly hanging from the middle of the ceiling on dark, thick chains.

Creating the impression of being frozen in time and space itself, which was only broken by the occasional flicker of the burning flame inside it, casting the shadows of those black chains over the barely visible walls.

The treasure hunters seemed to walk to the middle of the room, then started to look around, using their lights. Still, it was nothing obvious to find here…

Ligo taking in the dreadful atmosphere of the place, swallowed drily as he turned around to bark orders at his crew.

-Quick, spread out, search the place, don’t just stand there fools!

This time, nobody said anything, only followed the orders tentatively.

Suye, was shivering from the unusual coldness that lingered in this part of the cave. There was something wrong here… but she couldn’t quite say what, exactly.

She whipped her head to the left, eyes wide with fear and suspicion. She stared into the shadows, and glanced back at her friends, but everything was in order.

Did she imagine it? She could have sworn that something had moved in the shadows just now… She forcefully shook her head and focused her light back in front of her.

-This place is starting to get on my nerves…

She complained silently, in a way that nobody could hear it. Listening to her own voice usually helped her calm down, but this time, it didn’t seem to provide much refuge.

She decided to step closer to the shadow covered wall, which was in the middle of the newly discovered hall. The light from the burning brazier didn’t reach that far. She focused her headlight in the shadows and tried to pierce the thick darkness.

Eventually she succeeded, her light falling over a strange distorted shape. It seemed as if she had managed to find some sort of statue here? She stepped closer to the dark gray material, which resembled the color of iron.

While walking closer, she could see the statue in more and more detail. For some reason, an ominous feeling began to settle in her stomach, but she didn’t know why.

Now at last she was standing in front of the statue, which now turned out to be more of a carving, something carved out of the wall, perhaps? But the carving itself was the most disturbing. It was a grotesque, somewhat hunched over form of a young humanoid child? The body position clearly indicates that the person was in a lot of pain… and terror?

-Gross…

Was the only thing Suye could say at this. She heard the shuffling of feats approaching from behind. She turned around halfway and nodded towards the incoming Malle. Who asked with a curious smile.

-What did you find here, little Suye?

Suye rolled her eyes, hearing the derogative adjective, but she chose to ignore it otherwise. She knew that it would not do any good for her if she made her annoyance even more obvious. They would use it even more if they could figure out how much she hated those stupid nicknames.

However, it was time to give Malle an answer.

-It’s some weird carving that makes my skin crawl.

-Carving you say…? Wait!? This is… oh my God…

Suye became rigid when she heard the unexpected reaction from Malle. She turned towards her, and tensed up even more, when she saw her shocked and terrified expression.

The others also noticed Malle’s gasp and started to walk closer, trying to figure out what had just happened.

-Malle, what is it?

Asked Suye in an almost whispering tone.

Malle looked at the carving, touching it tentatively and said with a dreadful expression.

-This is not a statue… it’s… it’s a carbon-freezed platform… which means… that there is an actual person inside it… And based on the look of it… it’s a child… a teenager at best…

-…

-…

-…

-What the fuck!?

14