123. Chapter
200 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-From the perspective of Lily-

The next morning, I was the first to awaken, aside from the current night guard naturally. The first thing for me was to check on the information that the wandering brood gathered throughout the night.

While doing this, I absentmindedly flipped my appendages to get rid of some of the sand stuck between my natural chitin armor which was covering a large part of my body. The tooth grinding sensation of sand stuck between my chitin plates was extremely irritating.

In the current circumstances, I was beginning to miss the time when my body's surface wasn’t covered in the protective layer at all.

I have long since noticed that every time my mutations advanced, a larger part of my skin became covered in the hard bone like material. In a sense, it was a second set of skeleton.

My movements seemed to earn an icy glare from the strange-looking man who was sitting on the opposite side of the cavern. He was some sort of alien which I hadn’t seen before, or at least I couldn’t remember seeing something like that. Unfortunately, I couldn’t recall his name at all…

I grudgingly decided to refold my appendages behind my back, trying to ignore the itchiness that had been a constant companion since we arrived on this inhospitable planet.

Inhospitable, you say… oh pitiful and ignorant offspring of mine. This place is a treasure trove of opportunities. I can practically feel the pulsing presence of energy rich resources laying under the vast amount of sand here.

Are you speaking of Khaydarin crystals?

No… not likely, but as you already know, or at least should know. Those crystals are not the only material that holds large amounts of psionic energy. Using that particular material was nothing more than a matter of convenience. It would have been foolish to ignore the vast amount of unharvested energy left behind by the Xel'naga, our creators.

That was true, the zerg could basically adapt to anything. It would have been ridiculous to assume that switching to a different type of resource would cause them problems.

Should I look for them?

I asked in my mind, curious about his opinion.

You should, however, it would be a waste of energy as I already did so while you slept.

I blinked, then asked, fidgeting a bit.

I didn’t know that you could do that.

I have merely supervised this pitiful thing that you call your brood. It was done with the purpose of creating a foundation which might allow you to grow into something meaningful.

Well… thanks, I guess?

What I found was a highly potent substance which I ordered the workers to harvest and consume. Naturally, only after the creation of a hatchery for its storage. It is a strange fungus, in the form of a simple looking black moss.

Its essence is quite powerful, still not comparable to a khaydarin, but it has caused an acceptable rate of growth in the units at hand.

I was surprised, but happy with the situation.

You are surprisingly kind to offer me your help… I thought that you disliked me, but it seems I was wrong.

I do not dislike you. There is no purpose in such feelings, but if you insist on the use of that particular phrase. I would say that I dislike your efficiency, or the lack of it… What… what are you doing? Rein in your emotions, child, before they overwhelm me!

Ah… ugh, sorry… I-I will try… I am just relieved that you don’t hate me…

You have been created by me, with a specific intention and purpose. One that you have mostly fulfilled. Even if that happened through unexpected means. Besides that, at the present time, we share the same body in a symbiotic relationship. When I regain a physical body, you might continue serving me as a cerebrate as a reward for your service.

Uhm… I am not sure. Didn't you said that our minds can't be separated as that would result in one or both of us dying?

Indeed, but that doesn't mean I can't expand my consciousness into a different physical body more capable of channeling my will. My essence have been hidden in your being long before you realized that fact. It will simply return to its dormant state. 

I see... More importantly, will you still try to dissect me?

It has already been done several times. I see no further reason to do so, and even if that happens, you will be resurrected afterwards. It is merely a momentary inconvenience.

A few horrifying memories emerged from my subconscious as I was reminded of things that I didn’t want to remember. I immediately suppressed and chased away the thoughts. I wave of anger and frustration came over me and I directed them at the being nested in my mind.

…You might see it that way… but for me, it is definitely not a minor inconvenience! If you ever try to do something like that again, I would rather kill myself and be done with it.

Though… I do not comprehend the reason for your anger… If that is what you demand, I will accept it. My survival precedes the loss of a valuable sample of information.

…I can’t believe this… that’s what it took you to leave me alone?!

I did not agree to leave you alone.

What? Just give me a break already!

Not possible.

Why?

I have suspected this, but you do not seem to be aware of your own value. You have been modified through a long process of trial and error in order to serve as a backup for my psyche. Creating you was one of the most arduous tasks I have done in the last ten thousand years. Even if the process itself only took a few years.

I was speechless while listening to the shamelessness of this being. Still… after the time I spent with Kerrigan, he was clearly the lesser evil. At least the Overmind didn’t try to torture me without reason, for its simple amusement and joy. Its essence was too logical to even entertain such actions. In other-words, he was predictable, at least to a degree.

I decided that I could live with that.

I directed my thoughts back towards the Overmind.

Fine… So tell me what you want me to do now?

You have accepted my superiority in a surprisingly docile way. Was that the result of our communication?

…Obviously?

I understand. It seems that sharing intentions and ideas in such superfluous ways can lead to desired agreements. My earlier observations are proving to be true. Still, further analysis is necessary.

Are you still on that? You know… you have all that knowledge and logic at hand, but you still… hmm… How did the bald guy phrase it? Ah, yes… you are quite special! Just like me…

Indeed. I am satisfied that you have finally recognized my capability. You, my daughter, might eventually grow into a fine cerebrate.

I hope so!

Good. Now it is time for me to retreat and refocus my attention on further expanding our slowly growing presence on this planet. I will notify you if the need arises. Until then, you are free to enjoy yourself among the company of these lesser beings.

With that said, I felt our close mental connection weakening until it became distant and hardly noticeable.

I gave a curious glance to the information which was gathered by the drones and zerglings. I immediately felt the presence of another stronger psionic connection. It belonged to the hatchery. As our minds touched briefly, I felt the thoughts of a dutiful mind ready to serve. It was already busying itself with the sole purpose of expanding the brood. I felt a sense of happiness and calmness from the simpleminded creature.

I drew back my awareness, deciding to let it be. It has already received its orders. There was nothing for me to say.

I realized that I was feeling a lot better now. Eager to see what will become of this new colony and what my role will be in it.

-Something troubles you?

The sudden question jolted me out of my thoughts. As I refocused my attention on my immediate surroundings, I found myself sitting across the gray colored twi’lek girl who seemed to be observing me.

Her eyes were unnaturally sharp pink. A lively color, which in nature was often a sign of extreme toxicity. However, that was not the reason I felt slightly uncomfortable around her. Since I was also holding a considerable amount of poison in my body.

Throughout my short life, I have been forced to realize that I was a unique entity, one that more often than not aroused revolting feelings in others.

However, compared to me, this girl definitely got the short end of the stick… Her very presence was screaming with an undeniable purpose. Even being near her was making me uncomfortable, but sensing her eyes looking at me was making me downright antsy.

I could sense a weight, an intent behind the smallest glances. She was burdened with responsibility and expectations. Those poisonous looking pink eyes were filled with a cutting awareness that prickled my skin as her gaze passed over it, like small needles probing, searching, seeking, always suspicious.

Her psionic presence was also similar to that sensation. At first, it felt calm. Only after careful observation could I sense the raging storm carefully hidden under the still surface. Since the attack of the robot earlier, that storm has only grown wilder.

There was a lingering tension around her. The air felt heavy and oppressive. A subtle sense of danger hovering in the air, her aura sharp and cold, ready to lash out at any second.

Since the droid attack, I was instinctually trying to avoid her. Only speaking when it was necessary. To my surprise, the others didn’t seem to notice anything.

My thoughts were frozen as I felt the pink eyes lock onto my own.

She has grown bored with waiting for an answer, and tried to remind me that I was supposed to be in a conversation. She spoke in a whisper.

-Did your little friends find something troublesome?

I shook my head. The Overmind has pulled away most of them to create the hatchery, but it still left behind several of them to scout the nearby caves.

She observed me carefully. I had to force myself to not break the eye contact.

Eventually, she relaxed somewhat, her oppressive presence weakening considerably in the process, which made me a lot calmer too.

Seeing that the tension surrounding us had abated, she showed me a hesitant smile. Then added a few words.

-I should have anticipated that I could not hide such powerful emotions from a telepathically attuned being as you. It seems that I have unintentionally troubled you in my anger. I am sorry.

I felt strange hearing those words. Couldn’t figure out how to properly react to it, because of that I simply nodded.

Seeing that, Nizzal seemed to become silent as well. Her smile morphed back into an emotionless expression as her gaze stuck to my folded appendages.

A few minutes went by as the silence stretched. Neither of us has tried to break it again. Soon, sounds created by slow and heavy movements could be heard nearby. Both of us glanced in the direction of the noise.

They were made by Barriss, who had been awakened. She was sleeping next to the twi’lek and now was in the process of sitting up while glaring at us with an exasperated expression.

She combed through her long black hair with a frustrated flick of her wrist and the use of her fingers. Her hair, which was usually hidden under her hood, tied in a tight knot, became loose somewhere through the night. Something she was trying to rectify.

After managing to do so, she allowed herself a satisfied smirk, momentarily forgetting about her earlier frustrations. Then her eyes wandered to our staring forms, leading to the appearance of the earlier frown.

Eventually, her lips parted with a sigh.

-Next time, you should wait with your oh so insightful chatter until the rest of us are awake, right Kali?

There was no answer to her question.

A deepening frown and a flicker of annoyance later, she turned around, staring at the obliviously sleeping form of Kalifa. She blinked, newfound amusement sneaking onto her features.

At last, she shook her head weakly before turning back to us.

-It seems that I should only speak in my name. It’s enviable how deeply she could sleep, even in such dire circumstances.

I blinked, then stated.

-I don’t quite understand what you mean. I can fall asleep whenever I deem it necessary. Is it different for you?

Another voice chirped into the conversation coming from the other side of Kalifa. It belonged to Ahsoka, who had also been awake for a while now, listening to us.

-Quite so, it is more of a process of the sort… not like pushing a button and snoring right away. Still, that is an ability which many soldiers would have killed for on the battlefield. I couldn’t count the number of nights when I was desperately trying to fall asleep, only for it to elude me entirely.

Barriss seemed to understand what Ahsoka was talking about, as she nodded with a serious expression.

Nizzal, on the other hand, only showed a knowing smile.

A new, mildly amused voice appeared coming from the opposite side of the four to five meter wide chamber which we used as a temporary campsite.

It maybe not so surprisingly belonged to the unusually chatty and enthusiastic older togruta woman. Her name was one I actually remembered. She was called Malle; she was asking us a plethora of questions through our walk yesterday.

She reminded me of Mady and the ragtag group of pirates I had once been traveling with.

My gaze unconsciously turned back to the gray twi’lek girl, she told me that Mady was safe and sound, and her friends were protecting her. A subtle sense of warmth and relief filled my tummy as I played with the thoughts.

My attention, however, was quickly brought back to the present as the voice belonging to Malle reached my ears, first in the form of an amused whistle.

-How cute. I never expected to see a bunch of prepubescent girls sharing their old war stories.

All of us exchange wry glances at one another.

Eventually Barriss spoke up with a flicker of annoyance.

-That’s good, then. Since we are not prepubescent to begin with.

She somehow managed to pull off the act with unexpected haughtiness.

As a reaction, Nizzal face palmed silently in the background while Malle, against Barriss's expectations, burst into a fit of laughter.

Even the otherwise gloomy alien who was watching over the entire exchange from a dark corner of the chamber seemed to smirk at that.

Naturally, the vivid reaction of the older togruta managed to wake up the rest of the camp. Earning quite a few frustrated glances in the process.

Glares that have been slightly mollified after she shared the subject of her laughter.

Before we know, half the cave was snickering at the utter absurdity of our situation. Something that neither of us could truly deny. It only showed how far the civil war, thanks to the careful machinations of the Sith, has pushed the otherwise relatively peaceful galaxy.

In the end, Kalifa woke up as well.

Following that, the people in the camp slowly began to move. Sharing a small portion of food and water between everyone. We ate what we received, then began to pack up our things. Luckily for me, I had literally nothing aside from the slightly modified jedi clothes which I was wearing. The only modification was done in order to allow me to wear it with my extra limbs.

Aside from that, my only possession was the currently not working lightsaber hilt resting on the bottom of one of the deep pockets of my clothes.

Soon enough, we were continuing our walk towards the exit of the cave system.

11