125. Chapter
461 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-From the perspective of Nizzal-

We walked towards the source of the smoke in a heavy silence. A sense of desperation looming over our heads. As the distance between us and our goal shortened, the smoke has widened, now covering most of the sky above us.

With a growing sense of worry, we glanced at each other, searching for a different explanation, one that could have explained the sudden fire on the surface of a desert planet.

I watched the backs of Ligo and Bamadal, who were the ones leading our advance. They hastily climbed up to the top of the last sand dune separating us from the ship’s location. I heard a sharp intake of breath as they lay their eyes upon the sight.

I channeled a little-bit of force into my legs, and soon after them, managed to stumble to the top of the dune. My relatively small body was once again causing me an unnecessary amount of discomfort, not even mentioning that most of us were already tired from the earlier travel.

Still, I straightened myself, trying to not roll down the other side with the same momentum. My eyes finally focused on the raw destruction that was spread out in front of us.

An enormous crater filled with the burning remains of a now completely unrecognizable space ship was the only thing left behind. Its parts scorched and spread across the landscape thrown around by the powerful explosion as if they weighed nothing.

I glanced to my side, at Ligo and Bamadal. Both of their expressions were dark. I did not need the help of the force to realize that they were enraged. Their fists were forming fists, eyes filled with blind rage and a thirst for revenge.

A dangerous combination, as they were yet to find a target to concentrate that hatred. I decided not to say a word. Their hands now were grasping their blaster guns with a deathly intention as they began to march down the dune to reach the ruins of their ship.

I heard as the rest of our team was about to arrive as well. They were still blessed with the hope of an unlikely miracle, hoping in the slightest possibility that the ship was still fine.

I did not wish to take that hope from them, not before it was absolutely necessary.

With that, I started to walk down to the bottom of the dune, following the two men in front of me.

My ears still caught the shocked and desperate whispers sounding behind me. The already formed knot in my throat was tightening with the knowledge of helplessness.

A foreboding thought was hovering over me for a while now, a thought which I had no realistic answer to.

How are we going to survive here with these numbers?

I slowly skidded down to the bottom of the hill, kicking up a large portion of the sand in the process that was now threatening to fly into my eyes and mouth. I blinked frequently. My eyes itched with the irritation, a few dry coughs leaving my chest trying to get rid of the sand crystals stuck in my orifices. It was a futile endeavor.

While distracted by the momentary discomforts of my predicament, I felt a large hand stretched in front of my chest of which I accidentally bumped into.

I stumbled back a bit, blinking with frustration, looking up at Ligo, who the arm belonged to with a questioning glare. One that was easily mollified as I saw the sharp and cautious expression stuck on his face.

The earlier anger was nowhere to be seen. In its place, however, there was something different. A growing sense of terror barely hidden under the emotionless expression, only betrayed by the trembling pupils staring forward towards the burning wreckage.

I gulped, understanding the situation with a solemn expression. We were not alone.

I ignored the still remaining itchiness in my eyes and followed his gaze, trying to search for the cause of such a reaction. Even when I already had a good enough guess…

Soon enough, my eyes found the form of a single dark clothed silhouette standing in front of the destroyed ship. The moment my eyes stuck to it, a malevolent wave of dark side energy began to manifest out of thin air. Dark, poisonous clouds were unleashed in our direction with the power of any real storm, coupled with the occasional sparks of electricity running through its malevolent mass.

My eyes widened as I witnessed the raw, turbulent, dark side energies pushing towards us like an avalanche. Bringing along everything in its path, be that sand, smoke or small pieces of the wreckage. All of it happened with such power and suddenness that I had not enough time to prepare against its initial assault.

I stumbled back, along with the others, as its full force blasted against our bodies, ripping into our clothes and skin with a surprising ferocity.

Gritting my teeth under the waves of condensed malice, its power no doubt reinforced by the effects of the planet itself. It didn’t take long since I could feel the unnatural coldness creeping into my bones, a sure sign of the effects of life drain mixed into the storm. The cold, overpowering mental pressure pressing on our minds was nothing to scoff at, either.

Seeing all of this happening, my brain went into overdrive. It was needless to say, but things were not looking good for us, and the Sith was not holding back anymore either… Now it was either us or him.

I reached for my lightsaber with my right, while simultaneously raising my left arm to form a shield against the storm.

I felt the presence of the rest of our team hastily arriving from our backs and soon felt a small, trembling hand grab onto my right upper arm for support against the blowing winds. I could feel the confusion and fear radiating from the presence of Ahsoka as she held onto my arm, but there was also courage and a heartfelt desire to defy this darkness.

One last time, I checked everyone’s presence. They felt like flickering little white dots amids the all-consuming darkness.

Still, they were grasping their weapons and sabers, ready for the worst.

Putting such thoughts aside.

I closed my eyes and focused solely on my task at hand. With a strengthened resolve of my friends and companions, I raised my left hand higher, palm open, towards the epicenter of the storm. Under the assault of constant dark side oppression, I needed all my concentration to form a light side shield powerful enough to brace this storm. I had to pull on my reserves and even borrow Ahsoka’s power, which she was readily offering for my spell.

With an incredible effort, the shield finally manifested, engulfing our ragtag team defying the sea of darkness which was consuming the world beyond the force shield's fickle layers.

The attack, however, didn’t seem to abate, and I could feel my breathing becoming rapider with the agonizingly slow passage of time. Perspiration was running down my cheeks and forehead. I could feel the people’s worried glances on my skin. The tension end fear radiating from them as they helplessly stared at the black corroding powers clashing against the shield, which served as the sole barrier between them and the devouring darkness.

I had been keeping up the barrier for more than five minutes now, and I could feel the icy grasp of emptiness and terror crawling up my legs. I knew that I could not support this barrier for much longer. Not on this planet… There was no light side to harness from my surroundings here, and the dark side could not be used to defend the others. It was only good for destruction…

I realized that probably that was the reason they brough here Ahsoka, why they allowed me to reunite with her. The others being here were likely the result of an accident…

To my surprise, the storm of malevolent energies pressing against the force shield gradually began to weaken until their power completely dispersed. Its powerful assault, however, left behind a thick screen of sand floating in the surrounding air, obstructing our vision.

I recognized the tactic. It was similar to what he used inside the cave, only then he was hiding in the shadows. Now he planned to do that with the help of this sand veil...

I let go of my shield, letting it disperse into nothingness. Immediately feeling the immense relief as the pressure on my mind let up. Without wasting time, I furrowed my brows, closing my eyes in another instance of concentration as I made a grabbing motion in front of my face with my left hand, followed by one similar to pulling aside a heavy curtain.

With that, a gust of wind lashed out in a circle around us, effectively blowing away most of the accumulated sand.

A dark cloaked figure appeared about twenty meters from us, seemingly surprised by the disappearance of the sand.

Before it could react in any meaningful way, a series of blaster shots were sent towards him, Ligo shouting the order.

-Kill that bastard!

Blasts of red plasma rained down around the dark clothed figure. To my surprise, instead of the double-bladed saber stuff, this time, two single-handed red lightsabers burst into existence. As the man whirled around, with incredible speed either dodging or redirecting some shots while still managing to shorten the distance between us.

I observed his erratic movements, with an ominous suspicion settling over me… Something wasn’t right. He's movements were too different, his speed ridiculous, especially on sand… as if he was sliding over the sand, his legs not even touching the surface.

While our attention was focused on the enemy in front of us, I heard a shout of agony coming from an unexpected angle, from behind us, which was followed by a dull thud and other alerting shouts.

Both me and Ahsoka whirled around looking at the shocking sight.

Qaghr, the aqualish man, was lying on the ground, its body cut into two at its midsection. A blood freezing expression frozen on his still screaming face.

I looked away in disgust, and my eyes soon found the answer to what was happening. Standing behind us, with a double-bladed saber stuff, was a different cloaked figure.

One of his blades locked with Barriss's saber just before it would deliver a fatal strike at the back of Suye’s unprotected neck. Poor woman flailed in shock as she dropped on her back in terror, no doubt already feeling the heat emitted from the burning plasma blades near her neck.

She was currently sliding backwards on her bottom and muttering to herself…

-No, no, no, no, no, no… please no!

Barriss’s and Maul’s saber locks were abruptly broken as Malle twirled around and shot a blaster shot at the zabrak’s face. He was forced to disengage to block the attack.

I wanted to go and help them, but before I could move in their direction, I felt an invisible force grab onto my right ankle and with a powerful pull before I knew it; I found myself on my back, sliding towards the other mysterious enemy.

I saw the bastard agilely move between the plasma shots, moving into a position to attack me, and since I was still pulled across the sand field while laying on my back, I didn’t quite feel like waiting for that to happen.

I raised one of my hands while taking a few bites of fresh send, which only served as fertile ground for my growing anger and frustration. I sent a bright blue streak of lightning right at the bastard.

As the fucker sensed my impending attack, it immediately let go of my ankle, focusing on its defense instead. I glanced back towards the others, only to realize that the distance between us was a lot larger than I originally anticipated. I quickly took in the chaotic battle with a hammering heart and a growing sense of worry. Seeing that all my friends and the rest of the expeditions were trying to fight off the other Sith. I needed to finish this as quickly as possible.

I coughed, spitting out a mouthful of dry sand, my momentum finally dispersing enough, to allow me to stop my slide.

I didn’t have time to feel relieved; I reminded myself, while forcing my legs under my body.

My eyes turned towards the dark clothed bastard, who had managed to defend against my attack without much effort.

I could hear and feel the chaotic battle enfolding behind me, but I could not allow myself to get distracted again when facing such an opponent. The others needed to survive on their own, at least for now.

I tried to feel the presence of my enemy, trying to learn who this person might be. Only to realize that he was covering its force presence with a rarely witnessed mastery.

Because of the thick dark clothes flowing around his figure, covering its entire body in loose garb, hiding the wearer’s general body shape from prying eyes, that was the only information I could get.

I decided to throw a question at him…

-Who are you!?

I shouted with a bit more desperation leaking into my voice than I would have liked to. The sounds of clashing sabers and panicked shouts behind me were having a larger effect on my mind than I originally thought.

I heard a strange chuckle coming from the bastard. An ominous crackling voice that I couldn’t quite place.

I wanted to shout at the fucker once more, but my intentions were abruptly cut off by an incoming blast of furious energy.

My eyes widened in panic. He was attempting to drain my life essence once again… through the condensed reddish energy sent blasted at me. I could feel that its power was immense! If that hits me… I was not sure that I could survive in my current state. Such violent energy could only be absorbed by light side based powers, but such powers were restricted on this cursed planet!

My force reserves were still under an average jedi’s power. My actual power came from the ability to harness and use the latent force energies present in my surroundings. But here, the only thing I could harness was a sea of dark side energy.

Damn, since things came to this… I had no other choice.

I turned off my saber and willed a shield into existence while simultaneously rolling to my side in a desperate attempt to dodge.

I felt the destructive energies clash against my shield; I felt as the attack ate through my meager defenses. I cried out as the searing violent power burned my right side, as it turned out that I couldn’t quite avoid it entirely.

I bit down on my lower lips, drawing blood in the process, trying to blink away the desperate tears leaking into my eyes.

In a state of panic, my mind reached out for all the latent energies still remaining in my vicinity to draw power from them, and in a focused effort coupled by agonizing levels of pain I managed to fight off the destructive powers that had invaded my body.

It still hurts like a bitch, though.

I crawled to my feet, my eyes stained with fresh tears, bloodied lips, and an ugly expression on my pale face.

I looked at the bastard, deciding that no, I did not care about who this fucker was. For me, he was as good as dead.

With a quick flick of my wrist, I put my lightsaber back onto my belt and focused my mind to harness as much dark side energy from the planet as my body could handle.

My opponent seemed to feel the change in the atmosphere, as it finally stopped its occasional chuckle.

I felt as my eyes began to burn with a deep golden color as I continued to pull in more and more power. I focused on the bastard and flicked out my right wrist in his direction. The motion was followed by a powerful burst of energy.

Alas, my opponent has managed to spin out of its way, using his strange, erratic movements. He was moving with small, precisely controlled bursts of force, I realized.

He even managed to send a similar lightning based attack at me, but I anticipated it, and as a reaction, I grabbed hold of a huge amount of sand in front of me. Lifting it up just in time to serve as a shield, channeling the lightning into the ground, dispersing it harmlessly.

A smug smile appeared on my face as I watched the dispersing lightning melt some of the sand into molten glass.

Alas, my smile was quickly eradicated, as I felt a powerful burst of raw force energy hammering into my sand shield, completely destroying it and throwing the partially melted hot sand towards me, effectively engulfing my whole body in it.

I would have screamed from the pain caused by the molten glass directly contacting my skin. Only if I wasn’t forced to keep my mouth shut, dreading the possibility of getting some of that glass inside it.

In a mad dash, I burst through the deadly cloud. Immediately finding myself in the path of a red saber heading towards my neck. Fuck-fuck-fuck! The bastard was waiting for that exact moment!

Completely relying on my instincts, I leaned to the side, barely missing the blade as it passed by my face with an inch, while igniting my saber to block the other one coming from the opposite direction in an upward cutting motion.

Sparks burst from the contact of our sabers. I jumped up, pulling up both my legs, readying myself to send a powerful kick into the chest of this crackling bastard utilizing both my legs. While simultaneously propelling myself away from him. Trying to disengage before his other blade could come around. My feet, enhanced with the power of the force, crashed into him mercilessly, releasing a small burst of energy to propel myself backwards just in time to get out of the reach of the blood red blade coming after me in a horizontal strike.

Now, with a more comfortable distance between us, I couldn’t help but smile as I listened to the pained guttural growl made by the man.

With a mid air somersault I managed to land on my feet, sliding backwards on the red layers of sand propelled by the accumulated momentum. Already preparing myself for another exchange of deadly blows.

Just before I could straighten myself properly, I felt a force warning that urged me to duck down, and I did so.

Flattening myself against the sand, I heard the familiar sound of a thrown lightsaber passing over my head, the slightly whistling sound as it burned out the ozone from the air.

I rolled to the side and pushed myself to my feet once again. Sending out a long stream of lightning towards the Sith, one that was shoved to the side with the precise use of his other saber, which was still held in its hand.

I cursed silently.

I was beyond enraged by now, however, allowing myself to be led by my emotions would have been a certain way to die against such a skillful opponent. Still, there was an amount of dark side energies you could channel without starting to experience side effects that tended to compromise your general judgment and abilities to see reason.

The more you relied on its power, the more emotional you became. In most circumstances, I could negate those effects by drawing on the light side, but such things were becoming less and less realistic in our current predicament.

He pulled back the thrown blade into his outstretched arm, slowly turning back towards me. A pair of golden eyes filled with nothing but hatred were staring at me from the shadow of his hood. He coughed, an effect of my earlier kick, no doubt. His intense stare focused on me, promising nothing but death. Suddenly, he turned off his sabers, putting them inside those baggy clothes.

Not waiting for whatever the hell he was planning, I sent another stream of lightning towards his face, which he absorbed with an outstretched palm. I was having a bad feeling about this.

Just as I thought that, a powerful warning of danger assaulted me through the force. I moved to the side then again, but the sensation of danger didn’t disappear. My eyes widened as I looked around rapidly, trying to figure out what his deal was. Then I noticed something.

The surrounding air was starting to boil. I could see lines made from fiery streaks of air escaping upward as the air molecules buzzed around me. The heat continued spiking upwards dangerously; I felt my throat getting drier by the seconds as cold sweat flooded my body, drenching my clothes more than it already was.

Then… I saw buzzing sparks coming to life around me, finally realizing what was happening!

He was using pyrokinesis! Fucking pyrokinesis, of all things!

A burst of flame, one that would put the mandalorian flamethrowers to shame, came into existence, heading straight for me.

I did the only logical thing I could while facing such a ridiculous attack. I used the force to enhance my speed and jolted in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, the bastard wasn’t intending to let me escape. As new flame tongues appeared in my way, eventually managing to surround me in a cavalcade of flowing flames.

I looked at the firestorm, about to engulf me in its center with a strained, hesitant smile.

-Fuck my life… well, I guess I can try out that at last… not that I ever wanted to…

I closed my eyes, turning inwards as I focused all my attention on the immediate surrounding of my body. To the layers just above my skin with a few centimeters, I desperately channeled the remains of my power, which were already going beyond anything I had ever done or tried to do in this child's body.

I felt that I was becoming faint under the immense pressure, but I didn’t exactly have a choice here… had I?

I gritted my teeth and used my cryokinesis in an attempt to draw the heat from my immediate surroundings. This technique was not exactly created to do anything as flashy as this. Still, it better work out!

I thought as the flames completely engulfed me in their center. I channeled my power into the technique, feeling the growing heat around me… I clenched my jaw, the burning heat leaking through my technique… my skin blistering as my robes caught on fire under the storm of hellfire.

I felt a growing sense of hopeless panic engulf me, as I stood in the center of the storm with desperately closed eyes and holding back my breath, waiting for the storm to pass, my strength draining away rapidly, as the heat continued to rise even against all my efforts.

Suddenly, the flames dispersed, leaving behind a scorched molten ground filled with burning hot air. Taking the opportunity, I moved towards the side of the affected area, not letting up my cryokinesis until I stepped away from the scorched ground.

Only then did I dare open my eyes and take in a large breath of air…

I took a few weak steps, while grasping for air similar to a drowning man. Desperately trying to will my body to fight on… but it seemed to have a different idea as I promptly collapsed on my knees. I felt like crying as the pain jolted through my body. My skin was blistered at places peeling off…

My clothes were almost entirely scorched, its material blackened beyond recognition where it had not burned off completely. My lips were dried out like paper, eyes pulsing with pain, as a prickling dry feeling seemed to permanently settle inside them.

I thought with a sarcastic grin that my eyebrows were probably history now… it was a pitiful attempt at trying to keep my fear under some measure of control.

Who the hell did I manage to piss off this much? I definitely felt like crying… as I was kneeling there feeling completely drained, barely capable of sitting upright on my own…

I glanced at the others, realizing that the sounds of battle had disappeared for a while. As I looked over, I witnessed a terrifying sight… dead bodies littered the ground, spread out in a half circle. Among the bodies, a lonely black figure stood like a reaper hovering over a battlefield.

My eyes flickered in disbelief as I looked at the bodies tremblingly. First, I saw was Bamadal, his right hand cut off, still attached to the thrown aside weapon, with a grotesque hole burned into the middle of his chest.

Then I saw Ligo beheaded, his lifeless body thrown to the side followed by the broken forms of Malle and Suye laying on top of each other, run through by the same blade.... dead.

Then… then my eyes caught the form of Barriss laying on her back, unmoving lifeless eyes staring at the sky with an eternally peaceful expression frozen in her features. A few steps from her was Kalifa, face down in the sand, head bent in the wrong direction, a broken neck...

I glanced over the field with a dry sob breaking out of my throat… and I was disgusted with myself, realising that I felt a sense of relief… All because I didn’t see Ahsoka and Lily among the bodies… They must have run away… thinking that I was killed by the firestorm… good for them!

-What… what have you done?!

I shouted, my body trembling as much from the rage as the pain and grief I was feeling.

-What have you done? You animals, beasts! Who the hell are you to begin with!?

I felt a burst of lightning run through my body, my mind filled with white hot pain as I fell on the ground convulsing, as terrifying screams broke loose from my throat.

I heard another chuckle as an amused voice spoke out between the waves of agonizing pain.

-Look at you… wriggling on the ground like a worm… how could that be?

Another burst of lightning followed by another series of raw screams… I couldn’t even recognize my voice anymore in those screams…

-Ah-h-h-h… Does that hurt you, Grandmaster? I believed that something so insignificant as this much wouldn’t bother someone like you, who was supposed to stand above the rules of the universe? Ahh, but now as I look at you I can’t help but wonder, how could such a perfect being fall so far… and so quickly… C-c-c…

Another burst of lightning shook my body as I shouted at the animal.

-ARGH!!! YOU BASTARDS!!! WHO ARE YOU?!

-Oh? Don’t you recognize me, oh-mighty Grandmaster of the Gray… Another one of those bunch of pathetic runaway fools soaking in their misery and self-denial hiding from the harshness of the world… Ah… if I ever saw something more miserable…

He paused while enjoying my suffering soaking in it.

-Did you seriously think I didn’t know of your pathetic existence? I merely tolerated you as a necessary annoyance. Your kind are indeed quite slippery... ahh… elusive, even…

The surrounding air seemed to drop a few degrees as he spoke… while I tried to catch my breath between the brief pauses between the torture. My eyes had already turned hazy under the waves of agonizing pain… I was lying on my side in a fetal position, barely able to listen to its words…

-It certainly surprised me that you dared meddling in my affairs so openly, and in the process somehow managing to ruin my carefully crafted plan… You have caused me quite the amount of annoyance, even managing to turn my future apprentice against me… But look at where all that meddling brought you, you wretched little bitch…

Another burst of intense lightning was unleashed upon me. This one is even stronger than the earlier one, burning me from the inside out, as waves upon waves of pain were running through my flesh.

Somewhere along the line, I started sobbing under the cruel torture… and the lightning eventually stopped.

-Oh-h-h… I assure you there is no need to cry… my dear little worm… I understand that you feel sorry for ruining my plans, but I assure you, what you did is little more than a momentary inconvenience. I will eventually rectify it…

Before he could unleash another burst of lightning upon my broken body. I heard a pair of incoming steps. I opened my blurry eyes, looking at the dark clothed figures.

I watched as Maul walked forward with a confident gait, looking at me with an almost pitiful expression. There was something strangely familiar in that gaze, but I couldn’t quite place it…

What surprised me were the words spoken by him.

-It is quite enough, Lord Sidious… Based on what you showed me, I decided to deem your capabilities acceptable. I might even say that you exceeded my expectations.

The man in the loose dark garbs almost purred with satisfaction. He showed a light bow, then catching himself in the act, to my great shock and confusion, lowered himself on one knee in front of the form of Maul.

Even through the haze of immense pain. This sight made me confused… but, then again… there was that strange lingering familiarity surrounding Maul… one that I couldn’t quite place yet.

The old bastard crooked out in a joyful voice.

-You flatter me, my Lord… is it done then?

Maul looked at me, then back to the form of the kneeling Sidious… Sidious? Was this… was I fighting against the Sith Lord that was trying to destroy the Jedi… but how could that be? Why would he orchestrate such a trap only to kill me in the middle of a galactic war? This doesn’t make sense, and why does he kneel to Maul of all things… wasn’t Maul his apprentice that he tossed aside?

-Yes, you have proved yourself stronger than your competitors managing to rise above every one of them. I accept you as my apprentice. You may keep your Darth name, however, I see no reason in changing it…

The crooked man bowed with gleeful acceptance.

-I thank you for your generosity… master…

Maul seemed to nod, saying a single short sentence.

-You, my rise… Lord Sidious.

I looked at them from the ground… in complete confusion… Muttering with the last bits of my seeping away strength.

-Who… who are you…?

Sidious sneered at me, it seemed that he almost forgot about me.

-It seems she has still some life in that wretched little body of hers… should I get rid of it?… Master…

-You may not. I wish to speak with her, after so much time, I think she deserves some answers.

He allowed a gleeful smile to appear on his face before he continued.

-It wouldn’t have been entirely honest of me if I stated that I wasn’t looking forward to her reaction either.

Sidious stayed silent for a while, sparing me a glance filled with utter rage and disgust.

-I see, master… then I will wait.

He said eventually, and I felt a cold shudder that shook my body in the wake of his words.

My eyes locked to Maul’s golden red eyes, shaking with the pain and still present convulsions running through my body. Then… something changed… I saw the air move around his body… no… it was an illusion of sorts. Falling apart… I watched in shock and horror as the layers of colors that created Maul’s iconic face dispersed slowly, revealing a unique deep blue skin color and a pair of familiar red eyes that seemed to stare into the very depths of my soul.

My mouth opened in shock and terror as I tried to speak the words…

-A-A-Aomi? It… it can’t be…

A warm patronizing smile appeared on the woman’s features… the person who was standing by my side for the longest amount of time… the one I would never even dare doubt in… What was going on!? Was it another spell of that bastard?

-Ah-ah-ah, I see that you finally recognized little old me?

I felt another layer of tears appearing in my eyes… as I asked.

-…Why?

She seemed thoughtful for a few seconds. Then leaned her face to the side and said in a playful tone.

-By the way… I am not really Aomi old friend, that was only this body’s name at some point.

-…W-w-what? What do you mean… by that?

She chuckled, shaking her head in amusement.

-Foolish to the bitter end I see… But, what can you do… that strange innocence was what I always found so endearing in your memory line. The ability to triumph, even against all the odds.

-Who the fuck are you… I don’t know you… bastard…

She clicked her tongue in frustration. Grabbing onto my chin, as she forced me to look into her eyes…

-Come now, little Nizzy… stop playing the ignorant. Look me in the eye and tell me who I am! I am certain you can do it.

I tried to turn away with little success, seeing the familiarly glinting eyes… the ones I somehow always found so similar to Bas… I panicked… realization dawning on me…

I closed my eyes and wriggled, trying to escape from her icy grasp.

She smiled and chuckled seeing my tortured expression.

-Aha! See? You could do it after all.

I sobbed as I said in complete despair,

-No… it can’t be… it can’t be, I won’t accept it…

She let go of my face grudgingly. Crouching down next to me with a light smile playing across her face.

-I assure you, it can. Sigh… You see, old friend, I never was quite as good or quite as selfless as you… It was amusing to see the creation of your little cult… I even enjoyed it at times, could have played the mommy and daddy act with you for a few more centuries, unfortunately does eyes of yours made it quite impossible.

She snickered.

-When you eventually managed to get the hang of those, you would realize that my memory line was not exactly what it seemed. To be entirely honest with you… The very fact that you actually believed that the reason why not a single spirit manifested from my memory line was because they willingly accepted death was already ridiculously lucky…

I groaned, trying to wake up from this nightmare. It couldn’t be anything else than a ridiculously realistic nightmare after all…

-What are you wriggling about? It won’t change anything… Are you still trying to deny reality? Nizzy, dear… It seems I have to spell it out for you.

-Yes… I am Bastila, Bastila Shan.

She smiled.

-As you have probably already figured it out, instead of giving my memories to a less talented fool, like you guys enjoyed doing. I have used the original ritual and stolen all the twenty-four other person’s bodies in my memory line… The entire process was surprisingly easy; since they were willing… You know, believing that it would happen the other way around, some not even realizing what was going on till the bitter end.

She smirked, satisfied with her feat.

-But seriously… I don’t think I would have managed to overtake so many bodies… not without them literally pleading for me to do so.

I coughed, spitting out a mouthful of blood in the process. My body was shaking more from the brutal sense of betrayal than the pain my body suffered.

-How… how could you do this… you betrayed everything we worked for…

She scoffed at that.

-Not quite… maybe what you worked for sweety… I was merely enjoying myself. Still, it is quite sad that I will have to go back to the old ways… But you don’t seem to be willing to let bygones be bygones based on that expression of yours. Ha!

She sighed again, waving her hand condescendingly.

-I was hoping that you would find a way of immortality… doing most of the hard work in my place. It’s unfortunate that doing that doesn’t seem to be an option, anyway.

With that, she stood up, sparing me one last glance. Then proceeded to ignore me.

-Master, a sandstorm is incoming.

Asked Sidious.

-I can feel it.

She answered.

-Should I hunt down the other two that ran away?

Bastila thought about that for a while. Then said eventually.

-Hmm… No… let the sandstorm take care of them.

There was a moment of confusion.

-But master, didn’t you say that there was a prophecy considering that other child… the one with those strange appendages?

She chuckled…

-Ah… now I see what you mean… ha-h-h… I almost forgot about that one. How careless of me… It was just something I made up with the use of a random prophecy that was similar enough to serve my purpose. They make thousands of those in every year, most of them never seem to pass. I only wanted her to go back to the temple for your trap to spring to life there. This way we can blame her disappearance on the Jedi. I am actually surprised there was someone similar enough to match the description of this prophecy…

She turned silent for a while, then scoffed and waved it off.

-Whatever, I have done what I came here for. Let’s leave!

-What about her?

-She is beyond help, and even if by some sort of miracle she would stay alive… The sandstorm will take care of the rest, not even mentioning that there is no other ship aside from our own here, and that is not for long either. Now I suggest you, my new apprentice… to remain silent. I have entertained your whims more than enough, considering my elevated mood, but do not think that to be the norm.

With that said, they walked away.

Leaving me alone with the empty sense of betrayal and the immense pain jolting through every part of my body.

I didn’t know how long I lay there, staring at the darkening sky with a lifeless expression.

Was that what Barriss saw before she died?

Came the thought to my mind… She probably believed that I would save her somehow in the last second. How wrong, poor girl, was… it turned out that I couldn’t even save myself… how could I dream of saving others?

I sense of frustration eat away at my heart… I tried to move, but it was for naught. Poor Kalifa… I let her die… just the same… I saved her once, only to allow her to be killed later…

Tears began to flow out of my eyes suddenly… tears of deep regret… I sobbed silently as the sky continued to darken above me. The sandstorm was getting closer… at least it will end soon.

I closed my eyes, accepting my fate.

Then I heard the voices speaking to me. Reminding me that I was not alone… that I was never truly alone.

You have done well.

Your purpose has been fulfilled, just as we foreseen it.

I am proud that I had the honor of teaching such an incredible apprentice as you were.

-M-master? My purpose… what do you mean? Stop… stop praising me…

I cried even more…

-I… I destroyed your memory line… you will die because of me… why are you praising me then?

You did not do such a thing.

You did not.

-I don’t… I don’t understand.

We have foreseen that a traitor is among the highest echelons of the order.

But we were unable to find out who it was.

Your purpose was to reveal the traitor.

And you did, just as we expected.

-But… what are you talking about… what good will that do if I die here, and you die along with me?

That will not come to pass.

Indeed, it won’t.

-W-w-what?

Destroying her is a burden that belongs to someone else.

With the voices done speaking, I heard the sound of hurried steps running towards me. My tired eyes were opening as I saw the crying, desperate face of Ahsoka looming over me. With a very injured Lily following behind her.

-Nizzy, Nizzy! You hear me, oh god! C-calm down, everything will be fine, Lily will heal you right?! Right!?

I saw Lily walk up to us as she looked at me, touching my arm tentatively, only to shake her head slowly.

-No… that… no!

I felt that my battered lips began to form a nostalgic half smile.

I looked Ahsoka in the eye, seeing the flickering force field around her presence… It was telling me everything I needed to know. The force approved of her to be the next apostle.

I spoke.

-Soka…

-Yes?

She asked, surprisingly gently, and I continued.

-Do you trust me?

-Of course, I do!

-Then, let go.

 

 

 

 

Dear readers,

Thank you for reading The Way of the Gray. There will be a complete reediting of the story, to find those elusive errors that I have missed over the time. After that is done, we will continue our adventure with a new, this time original series here on ScribbleHub and possibly over Archive of our own.

Thank you for sticking around.

With the sincerest gratitude,

Yokem.

11