2) You Will Be Of Use
190 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Oriua House, Fyre, Luirene - Seat of the Duke of Elteran - July ]

 

In the northern regions of the Luirene kingdom even the hottest month of July felt less like late summer heat and more like mid-spring coolness, enough to warrant a jacket or shawl being carried about in case of a chill. The mountainous surroundings of Oriua House only served to highlight it’s subtle yet complex majesty of the famed estate, a sprawling spectacle of gray-blue brick and marble staircases that rounded the dark wood entrance outlined with twisting silver vines and accents. A winter marvel of the glory of House Montsworth.

 

Yet the chill of winter was brought in with the people rather than kept out by the gate and walls.

 

Within a sitting room was a young lady lounging upon a couch of rose pink brocade, eyes lowered in thought while the maid standing behind her fiddled with her hands in great jitterish manner. The table set before her had placed a small snack of honey cookies and steaming yellow tea, all set within and upon ornately decorated porcelain. A wait that had been occurring for no longer than an hour. A tense silence flitted throughout the air before finally being burst by the maid.

 

“My Lady, what do you believe the Duke wishes to see you for?” Her voice was shaky as her hands went from jostling with each other to tugging upon bright orange hair that seemed rather out of place with the cool and dark tones of the sitting room, standing out strangely against the curling cream and dusty green wallpaper behind her.

 

The young lady let out a soft sigh. “Quite frankly Portia, it matters not what grandmother called me here for. What matters is that she sent for me in the first place.” Her neat hand reached out to take a honey cookie from the plate before taking a soft crack out of it between her fingers, crumbling it into two halves and popping one of them into her mouth. “When was the last time I saw my grandmother?”

 

Portia paused in contemplation before replying, her face rather pale. “If I remember correctly, it was when you were born and presented to her by the Marquess.”

 

“Yes, I wasn’t even a year old at the time. And now after fifteen years of nothing,” the other piece of cookie was flicked into the awaiting mouth. “She wishes to see me? Is that not strange in every sense of the word, Portia?”

 

“It… it is indeed rather strange, My Lady. But… mayhaps she simply wishes to reconnect with her eldest grandchildren?”

 

The lady let out a harsh laugh and reached out for the teacup, swirling around its contents for a moment before finally taking a sip and pursing her lips and spitting out the ice that runs in her veins.

 

“She would never contact someone for such an sentimental reason, if that was the kind of person she was this house would’ve become as decrepit as the Usla Ruins within a year. I thought you knew as such, Portia.”

 

Portia bowed meekly. “My apologies, My Lady. I just thought that-”

 

“Then you should do less thinking and more knowing.”

 

“... Yes, My Lady.”

 

The silence once again returned to the filled wth nothing but the cracking of cookies, the crackle of a light fire, and the clinking of a tea cup against a table, a peace. It was broken by knocking against the sitting room doors and the appearance of an elderly maid who spoke only one sentence.

 

“Lady Sophia, the Duke will see you now.”

 

With that said, Sophia stood up with the assistance of Portia who silently offered her arm to her charge before shaking out the crumbs that sat upon the lilac skirt of her dress and wiping her mouth clean with the handkerchief offered to her by Portia, leaving her looking much more presentable than previously. The elderly maid standing to the side of the door bowed her head slightly and exited, leading the pair out of the sitting room and down the long halls of Oriua House, embellished with historical artifacts and statues that towered over them. Staring, watching, waiting for a mistake.

 

When they finally reached the floor to ceiling white door of the Duke of Elteran’s study with two armed guards standing attention on both sides, Sophia delivered a tight squeeze to Portia’s hand that was returned with soft reassurance as the other maid knocked lightly against the door.

 

“Lady Sophia has arrived, Your Grace.”

 

There was no reply for a minute or two before a muffled and deep voice replied.

 

“Enter.”

The doors were opened by the guards at the door and the elderly maid stepped aside, allowing Sophia to step inside herself and leaving Portia outside to await the paraphrasing for later.

 

The study was covered almost wall to wall in bookshelves and folders and a magic clock ticked and tocked most consistently to the tune of the scratching and scrawling of pen against parchment. Behind the desk sat the Duke of Elteran, back straight and wrinkled face icy as the domain she reigned over. Her gray eyes never left her work and she said nothing as Sophia silently went into a courtesy kneel before her.

 

“Greetings, grandmother. May your path serve you well.”

 

Nothing was returned to her and Sophia did not move from her pose. She could not unless the elder said otherwise. One minute ticked by, then two, and five, and ten as her stance began to wobble ever so slightly, straining against her muscles and her mind as she tilted and almost fell before…

 

[ Iron Will - Active ]

 

She righted herself almost instantly, brow furrowing and eyes alighting with a metallic sheen as she took a deep, silent breath and tightening her resolve. Falling now would never allow her to show her face before the old crone again without being reminded of such a simple failure. Sophia couldn’t live with that, she could never.

 

[ Rinnea Montsworth, Affinity ↑ ]

 

“Arise child, I don’t have all day.”

 

“Thank you, grandmother.”

 

Sophia went back to standing at submissive attention, legs shaking under her floor length dress as she attempted to relax under the dismissive gaze of the older woman as she pushed a bound folder towards her and gestured. Sophia picked it up hesitantly and undid the leather string around it and read through its contents.

 

“Alcetta Academy’s student handbook and a scheduling form? Grandmother, you-”

“Regardless of whatever you think of me, this is the truth. I want that form filled out by dinner time and back on my desk. That will be all.”

 

“But-”

 

“That will be all.”

 

Sophia’s lips pursed once again before she gave a obedient curtsy. “Yes, grandmother.” She backed away three steps before fully turning around and fleeing the room. When she finally got outside and was face to face with Portia again all the cold pressure that had been pushing down upon her from being in the same room with the Duke came crashing down and she collapsed.

 

[ Curse - You Will Be Of Use - Acquired ]

just some exposition and shit y'know, content. yay

Would You Like To Be A Montsworth?
  • No Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Yes Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yes, and I'd get rid of Grandmother Votes: 5 50.0%
Total voters: 10
5