Chapter 1: KawaiiKanojo
89 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up in a sweat and drowned in the heat of the summer. My cell phone's alarm clock signaled the start of another day, and I swiftly flicked my thumb to dismiss the repetitive ringing. If It wasn't for the college finals exams I had to take today, I would have let my phone ring for another ten more minutes or so. 

After turning off my alarm, I noticed something odd. For some reason, there was a notification that I had received an instant message on this social media app called Lyne. Even though I had no friends, I used this app because it was required by some of the mobile games I played. I was confused about who would even send a message to a loner like myself.

I clicked my tongue and muttered, "Maybe it's a bug or a scam?"

It was oddly convenient that I was getting an instant message right now. The night before, I saw a shooting star and in the spur of the moment, I had wished for someone to talk to. However, I knew that life didn't work that way, and I had long outgrown the superstitions that wishes came true if people saw a shooting star. It was just the minute I saw that shooting star, I said the first thing that was on my mind. 

While still lying down on my bed, I decided to open up the app and see what was sent to me. Whatever it was, I shouldn't get too excited about it, because expectations only lead to disappointment.

After opening the message blurb, I found out the message was sent by a person that went by the screen name of "KawaiiKanojo." I looked at the name with scrunched eyes and heaved a sigh. The name was super generic and loosely translated to "cute girl" or "cute girlfriend." At this point in time, I could only think that this was some sort of elaborate advertisement for a dating service or the sorts. The message that was sent by the "KawaiiKanjo" only served to emphasize that point,

I had a hard day today...

。゚・ (>﹏<) ・゚。

But at least I was able to talk to you!

('♡‿♡')

Whoever was trying to get me to buy their dating service, seriously was putting in the effort. Aside from the generic screen name, I could have almost believed that this was a real girl. I decided to just leave the message alone and then went about with my normal day. After all, if this was an advertisement I doubt the dating company would send me more than one message. After frying up some eggs, and drinking some milk, I got ready for school. I brushed my teeth, combed my hair, put on my school clothes and walked out of my house. I locked the door with my key and made my way to my university.

Even though today was my final exam before summer vacation, I thought of it as nothing but another uneventful day. The only positive things to come out of this was that my neighbors were going to visit their families during the summer vacation. My apartment complex was only a ten-minute walk to the university, so many of the tenants were university students. 

While walking to university, my phone started to vibrate. I then got it out and saw that it was another instant message sent by "KawaiiKanojo."

I couldn't be bothered to give KawaiiKanojo even one more second of my time, so I decided to put my phone back in my pocket.

The summer mornings were warm, but it was not up to the point of being unbearable. Therefore it was no issue to walk to school in the morning. However, it was an absolute hell walking back home during the noontime. I always finished my classes at noon, so I had no other choice, but to walk back home underneath the grueling sun. Therefore, I was thankful that it was the day of the final exams. I used my feelings of joy to fuel my energy for the upcoming test and smirked when I had finally made it to the entrance of my school. My days of walking home in a puddle of sweat were almost over, and I could just laze around my apartment playing phone games all day.

I made my way to my classroom, with thirty minutes to spare. I then used that time to prepare my writing utensils and looked at some last-minute notes. The person next to me was fidgety and looked as if he was going to die. He was profusely sweating even in this air-conditioned room. His fingers trembled as the clock neared the time for the final exam. Even though he was in this state, he was surprisingly good looking, far better than me anyway. He had brown wide eyes and wavy hair that he dyed brunette. He was the typical University City Boy, that was often stereotyped in popular culture. In fact, seeing him up close only strengthened that stereotype. He had his jumbled class notes spread out along the table, and they were barely legible. This person was not organized, as he even had some notes from the first half of the semester as part of his studying material.

Since I was in a good mood, I decided to do something I never did. I tapped his shoulder and he immediately jolted. Once I had gotten his attention, I slid over my notes and said,

"Here. It's not much, but you can use these to study."

My classmate's eyes' welled up with sheer joy and he repeatedly bowed his head. He clapped his hands together and said,

"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I thought I was going to be screwed. My name's Satou Sota by the way. Since you saved my life, you can just call me Sota. What's your name?"

He was speaking at an almost incomprehensible pace and my first impression was that he was blundering idiot. In fact, my gut instinct told me that I made a grave mistake by talking to him. I wanted to blend into the background, but he seemed like the type to take center stage. We seemed to be complete opposites so there was no way that I was going to be on a first-name basis with him...

Even though I wished that I could have undone my actions, it was too late. Pandora's box was already opened. The only thing I could do now was to reject Satou Sota's offer of friendship.

Therefore, I simply nodded  and uttered only my last name,

"Hashimoto."

Satou then smiled, snapped his fingers and said,

"You got a first name? If I'm going to revere someone as my lord and savior, I'm going to need to know everything about that person right?"

The first thought to come to my mind was,

"Ah, he truly was an idiot."

After receiving such a cold reply, that would be one sign to stop conversing. However, this typical cliche stereotyped go with the flow male, couldn't read the mood. 

Left with no other choice, I clicked my tongue and said,

"Should you really be worried about that? We only have 20 minutes left."

Satou's eyes then widened he finally realized the severity of his situation.

"Crap, You're right, I'll talk to you after class then Hashimoto"

Like hell, he will. I'll finish my exam so quickly, that he won't even know when I left. I adamantly refuse to be the friend of this procrastinating idiot.

I then watched Satou scramble about. He read the notes page after page, and his pace was absolutely jaw-dropping. If he manages to get a passing grade in this class, then that be nothing less than a miracle. I would also then have to start putting the reputation of this university into question. 

Finally, the hour was at hand and it was time to take the exam. We all had to turn off our mobile devices and place them into a bin. I took the test with the assurance that I'd pass however, Satou was another story. His emotions changed from confidence to worried to pure distress.

I could only look at him and think to myself

Wow, sucks to be you.

As expected I finished the exam quickly and went to turn it in. After giving my professor the exam, I got my phone back and decided to rest in the library. I didn't want to start the trek home in the blazing sun, especially after being drained from the exam. I turned on my phone and what I saw sent me into sheer shock.

I HAD GOTTEN THIRTY FREAKING MESSAGES FROM "KAWAIIKANOJO!"

I sat in the library chair thinking to myself,

Was this really a dating service anymore?

I opened the Lyne App and scrolled through all the messages. As expected most of them were trivial pieces of nonsense like,

I saw a beautiful flower today! <3

(^▽^)

Mom said I couldn't eat too many sweets, who does she think she is!

(╬ Ò﹏Ó)

It all followed a trend of being nothing but meaningless messages about KawaiiKanjo's everyday life. I thought it would continue to be like that, but then I reached her final message. My heart stopped and my eyes were glued onto the words,

I should just die more quickly, I think that'll be better for everyone...

1