Pilot Chapter: The First-Year and Her New Club
371 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    It was the start of a new school year for Amanohara High School, as the students entered the school gate for a brand new school life. Especially true for the first years like Suzuyuki, who had transferred from another school. She arrived from a rich all-girls school in Tokyo, but her parents had to move to a different city for their work. There were no such schools in Kagamioka as a smaller city, and so she had to enrol in a regular, mixed-gender school. The girl did not seem to mind since she understood the circumstances, although her appearance had certainly captured attention when the first-years were gathered in the School Hall for orientation. 

 

After all, for the first day, the school asked the students to arrive with their junior high school uniform. Her outfit is distinctively different: A navy-blue dress, in comparison to the rest of the first-years who wear a light brown or grey two-piece, depending on which of the two local schools they were from. Kagamioka did not get that many students from Tokyo to start with, let alone from such an esteemed all-girls school. In addition, her fluttering long silver hair and jewel-like purple eyes struck a feeling of sophistication around her. 

 

Their admirations were interrupted by a speech from the Principal and the Student Council, and the students returned to their respective classes afterwards. The buzz continued in Class 1-A though, as Yanagi was assigned in that class. It was eventually her turn to walk towards the board as she wrote her full name.

 

Yanagi Suzuyuki

 

Her name is so pretty and sophisticated. Some of her classmates murmured as she continue her self-introduction. She talked about her previous school and the reason why she moved to the city. “I will be in your care.” She added in the end, bowing down politely to the class.

Even her way of speaking is calm and soothing. The whisperings were interrupted by the homeroom teacher as he asked, “Is there any question you want to ask her?”

 

Half the class raised their hands as the teacher, knowing that there would not be enough time to answer them all, realised his ‘mistake’. “Nevermind, you all have the whole three years to ask her later.” The entire class burst into laughter as Suzuyuki chuckled. The homeroom teacher asked them to calm down as he started his class, although being the first day was more on introduction. He introduced himself to be the homeroom and the Japanese Language teacher and explained how the subject will differ from the secondary school. Several other teachers of different subjects followed suit after, as there was no studying on the first day.

 

As soon as the break time started, however, the classmates surrounded her immediately. They were so curious of her that they asked a flurry of questions, in which Suzuyuki could not answer the questions properly, without finishing them before continuing with the other.  For instance, when asked about her hobby, she could just say ‘reading’, and watching. The class imagined her to read foreign words literature, as well as watch movies. Or perhaps even stage shows, certainly a fitting hobby for a lady-like character like her. The conversation was paused because it was already halfway to lunchtime, as the class started to eat. They were wondering what would someone like Yanagi eat, as she brought out a lunchbox filled with grilled apple sandwiches, with peanut butter and granola as a compliment. A simple, yet fancy-looking food, contrasting the rice boxes or bread everyone else was having. “Do you make it on your own?”, one of them asked, to which she nodded. With how they admired her homemade meal, perhaps she should bring some extras for the class to taste.

 

The break period ended as they finished the meal just in time. The classes resumed as the teacher asked them to return to their respective seat. The school day passed pretty quickly since it was just the first day, as it was already the last hours. The homeroom teacher returned as he told the students to go and check for clubs in the hallway the seniors had gathered there to welcome the first-years into becoming a new member of the club. In Amanohara, club activities were important after all as each student was suggested to join one; the Headmaster believed that it would shape their youth. Since Amanohara only had a high school, the students were wondering what club activities were available there. And what will Yanagi join? 

Although it seemed that she was already gone from the classroom? Maybe she already knew what club she had in mind.

Being the first one to arrive on the schoolyard brought extra attention to Suzuyuki, as the seniors wondered when did the school had a new student like her. The girl herself was amazed at the display of the various clubs opening different stands that resembled their features. It was almost like a culture festival; the headmaster did mean it when he said the school treat the school club with importance. She seemed to be searching for a specific club so she was looking at each stand, one by one as she passed by. Every time she stared at a club, the seniors would look at her with a hopeful look that she would join them. Not only because they wanted new members, but with a member like her, their club would be popular. 

Suzuyuki politely declined with a smile as she kept on walking, still searching for the club that she had planned to join. Her classmates looked at her from afar, wondering which club will the lady-like girl joined. With how she was looking for someone, perhaps she had known some seniors from the school and was looking to join their club. They all guessed which club will she eventually join. From the looks of it, perhaps something like Tea Ceremony Club? It could not be Literature given how she had already passed by. It may be unlikely for her to join sports, but there may be some that she would join? 

Although with how the first years from another class started to arrive and filled the schoolyard, they all kind of lost track of Yanagi.

 

Meanwhile, despite the commotion, some clubs knew that they would not get any new members, or not really care whether they did or not.. A free period is still a free period after all. One club was located at the edge of the schoolyard, pretty isolated from the rest. The club president chose it on purpose so that no one would disturb them. The stand was managed by three guys who were just busy on their own. One of them was playing with his smartphone, the other one was wearing his headphone while watching something on his tablet. The only one that was unoccupied was just resting on the chair while closing his eyes, daydreaming.

 

“Is this the club?” A voice could be heard in front of their stand, asking about their club. None of them paid attention at first. 

“Excuse me, is this the Anime and Manga club?” the voice gets louder, as the one daydreaming was brought back to reality.

“Yes, it is. What about it?” The senior asked as he realized that the voice was so soft-spoken.

“Please let me join the club.”

To his surprise, the voice did belong to a girl. A first year. And she was so adorable. It was not a sight one normally see in a rural school like this. He immediately stood up, to the other’s surprise as the other two were brought back into real-world from the reaction. “Y-you can fill in your name first.” He added as he handed her the form, the other members could not believe their eyes as not only that there will be a new member, it was a girl to add. “The president is not around at the moment, but we will submit it later.” The other upperclassman joined in, as the other one added, “But feel free to come to the clubroom after school. It’s the free room beside the Audio Visual.”

 

    The girl smiled at the warm welcome of the club members, as she wrote the name on the form. “Yanagi Suzuyuki”. She excused herself as she left the schoolyard to return to her classes. All while the three still wondered if that was real or a daydream. Her name was there, anyway. And they did see the silver hair fluttering as the first year was lost in the crowd. 

None of her classmates saw the incident as they were all busy picking the clubs to join, as well and so they were still wondering which club did she join in the end.

 

    “Huh? A new member? That’s beyond expectation. Good job, I guess.” A  voice can be heard from behind as the president arrived at the stand. The president was a third-year with a long lavender-haired ponytail. As she glanced at the name, it piqued her curiosity. Another girl? I guess she will arrive after school. That will be like, 30 minutes from now.

Ichinose Renge certainly could not wait to see how the new girl will be.

15