In Order to Get Closer
76 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the start of the new term, the students of Amanohara returned to their school in high spirits, as the schoolyard was flooded by students. Suzuyuki was waiting for Renge in front of the school gate as she wanted to enter the school on the first day after the holiday (which the purple-haired girl facepalmed because of the attention it brought to the school). It was a common occurrence for someone to be a couple after the summer holiday, and naturally, people were wondering who was Yanagi Suzuyuki dating. As she got closer to the first year, Renge noticed that this was the first time she saw the girl wearing a short-sleeve outfit in the summer uniform she was wearing now. “Suzu-chan looks so cute,” Renge said her thoughts out loud, and the silver-haired girl immediately blushed as she heard that. Her onee-sama had complimented her a couple of times before but never this direct, it was actually unexpected. As she was embarrassed, Suzuyuki just walked inside the school, with Renge chuckled seeing that. Such a rare occurrence to see the first year be the one that blushed first. 

 

As they passed the main hallway, the school placed a big poster to tell the first-years that the new Student Council recruitment would be happening after school. It was the start of the presidential campaign that would be happening at the end of the month as well since the candidates would have to be student council members in the first place. Even without Renge saying anything regarding that, to her surprise, Suzuyuki already said, “I want to join the Student Council.” Is it her mom’s suggestions?  She seemed excited when I mentioned that I was in the student council.

Even when the third year needed to step down during the final term, they had the entire term to guide the new student council members. Suzuyuki wanted to spend her time with her onee-sama, and got closer as being inside the student council would give her another side of Renge that she was curious about. She had yet to tell the reason to her onee-sama though, as they saw the students hurrying to their classroom not long after. “Ah, the bell’s going to ring soon, I’ll excuse myself,” Suzuyuki said as she walked to her classroom. Fortunately, the first-year classroom is on the ground floor. Renge, on the other hand, as soon as she realised what was happening, rushed up the stairs so that she didn’t get late on the first day of the new term.

 

Renge did promise Suzuyuki’s mom that she would help to put in good words for Suzuyuki, so she went to the student council room during break time. Not that she needed any, given how at the mention of Yanagi Suzuyuki’s name, the other student council members were pleased to hear that the first-year wanted to join the council. She was popular in the school after all, as she had already managed to grab the entire school's attention even during the orientation. They even mentioned that she could be a Student Council President next year if she wanted to, given how the requirement was for the second year.

    Although, even when the student council members were fond of Suzuyuki, she still had to pass the interview. The interest from the first year was quite extraordinary, given how the student council was the most straightforward way for them to contribute to the school.  In order to be objective about it, Renge was assigned to interview the students from the other class so that she did not manage to encounter Suzuyuki by coincidence to avoid bias. 

Being the one that was excited the most, naturally, the silver-haired girl was the one that reached the interview room for 1-A first. She was interviewed by the student council president herself, as she was very curious about what kind of student Yanagi Suzuyuki was. The other interviewer introduced himself to be a second year, student of class 2-B. Miyano-senpai’s classmate, I see. Suzuyuki thought to herself as she started her self introduction.
“Yanagi Suzuyuki of class 1-A. I’m here for the Student Council member interview.” 

As the interview started, they reminded her that the answer will be recorded so that they could do a peer review with the other members. 

‘Why do you want to join the student council?” The second year asked the basic question, although it was the question that they were curious about the most. 

“There is someone I admire that is inside the student council. I want to help her, and at the same time, help the school together with her.”

The answer was pretty surprising, given how most of the students want to enter the student council for themselves. But Suzuyuki’s reasoning was pretty… unique, to say. The student council president smiled as she asked another question,
“Which position do you wish to apply for?”
Even when the question was as basic as the first one, this was actually the trick question. Most of the students would definitely say the student council president and being in the generalist position (and the fact that they were in the first year) would definitely result in being reassigned to another position, even when they passed the interview. Even when she may know Suzuyuki’s answer, she wanted to know the reasoning behind it. 

“I wish to apply as the treasurer. I find it to be a very important job for the students and the school alike since it directly dealt with the club budgets. With how much the school is spending for the sake of the students, it’s important to allocate the budget according to the achievements. This is especially true for Amanohara, which prides itself on its school club focus.” Her explanations were sound and clear, and the student council president was amazed by them. At least she didn't say that the one she admired was the Head of Treasury. She knew good enough not to say that since it would embarrass her onee-sama. 

Although she missed the fact that the Student Council President was Renge’s classmate, and was smiling brightly from the obviousness of the answer. This girl is really so innocent and adorable, Ren-chan! 

 

    On the other hand, Renge was getting pretty anxious. As she was in charge of the interview for class 1-B, she knew that Suzuyuki was the one that got interviewed next door.  Sure, she was pretty confident that Suzuyuki would be able to do it. When she was in the first year, Renge was nowhere close to the ladylike standard but she was able to get in, after all. But still, why did I even make that promise to Suzuyuki’s mom? That’s right, I wanted to get on her good side… 

As Suzuyuki’s interview was finished, Renge saw the silver-haired girl leave the room. Renge could just observe the girl going down the stairs, the third year unable to follow as her own job was still far from over. As soon as she was done with the first interview, however, Renge immediately rushed to the next room to meet the President. 

“Can I have a copy of the recording to review?” She asked, really wondering how Suzuyuki did. Granted, the other member of the student councils could access t the recording for peer preview eventually. “Right now? I could, but..”
Before the president finished her word, she was interrupted by the door opening once more. “Ichinose-san, the next first year had already arrived.”

The Student Council President chuckled as she heard that. “Don’t worry, I’ll send it to you as soon as we are done. She’s like the first one, you know. If it makes you feel better, I can say that she’s done really well.”
Renge let out a sigh of relief (on top of blushing from embarrassment when she realised what she was doing) as she returned back to her own interview room. She totally could not wait until the day was over…

 

Suzuyuki realised that Renge was still occupied as she herself took a peek of the room next door when she walked past. The girl herself thought that she had done a good job during the interview, so she gave a ‘don’t worry’ stamp message to her onee-sama, before walking back to her house. As soon as she stepped into the house her mother, who knew that student council members were picked during the second term, ask about it towards Suzuyuki. It made her wonder why the sudden question; she had never talked about student council at all towards her. It confused her further when she asked about Renge to her, asking if she was fine and all that.

“Your onee-sama should visit here again some other time.” Her mother said with a smile, thinking that the girl named Ichinose Renge must have contributed to her daughter having the intention to join the student council (which was indirectly true given how Suzuyuki wanted to because of her onee-sama).

After a couple more hours, the Treasurer finally finished interviewing the students of Class 1-B. It was a new experience for her as well given how last year, she just passed on the selection process because she was too lazy to do it. Renge had finished writing her notes of each candidate as she passed them to the President. “Thanks for the help. I’ll update the cloud for the recording, it will be up when you get back home.” The President smiled as she gave Renge a thumbs up. 

As she reached home, Renge wasted no time downloading and listening to the recording, Suzuyuki’s was the first one after all.

 

‘... She knows that this is going to get recorded right? I never know that she looks up at me this much…’ 

The purple-haired girl covered her face in embarrassment. ‘But why?’ She did not recall doing anything extraordinary, the girl was not used to honest compliments like this. Even as the recording ended, Renge was still blushing. She could not really concentrate as the track auto-played to other students’.

 

Meanwhile, as Renge did not reply the whole night, the student council assumed that she had no complaints regarding class 1-A. The Vice President was also present in the interview team with her and he did not seem to have any complaints as well, so they decided about it and sent the result to the Treasurer. After she returned to her senses, Renge noticed the incoming mail as she scrolled down immediately:

Treasury:

Head of Treasurer: Ichinose Renge

Assistant  Treasurer: Yanagi Suzuyuki

5