Warmth in the Midwinter
66 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The School Festival was one of the biggest events of Amanohara, which would showcase the school to the public. The Open House happened at the end of January as it corresponded to the new students' applications. As a result, many students and parents nationwide would come to visit the school to take a look at the reputation of Amanohara High School. 

As the school pride itself on student activity, in order to showcase the focus for them, the students were divided on a club-based basis for the school fest, instead of having them class-based like the other schools. That way, the potential students could see what club the school provided, and hopefully know which club they wanted to join, even before their first day of school. It turned out to be pretty effective as in the past years, it helped to attract new waves of students who joined the school because of that.

 

A week before the school festival, the Anime Manga Club met up to discuss what they should do for the Festival. Kenjiro, as the new Club President, explained to Suzuyuki that last year, the AMC did a Manga Cafe. As the location of the booth was either the front yard or their respective club rooms, the AMC members of last year filled the bookshelves inside the clubroom with the manga of their choices. The customers could read the wide selection of manga, based on their favourites and recommendations while ordering tea or coffee. It was a pretty relaxing and fun experience, especially as the club only needed to prepare the snacks and beverages on top of their manga collection.

 

Granted, the students could do the same thing again this year if they wanted to. However, it was apparently not an option for the AMC.

“We don’t really get new members that way.” Jun chuckled as he was a second year during that period. A club needed 4 members every year to be recognised as an official club with a budget, and AMC already had 4 students for the next year, even before Suzuyuki joined. However this time, they would only have 2 members left when the third-years graduate.

The School Festival will be the last activity for AMC (and the other clubs) for the year, and so the members were motivated to do their best. They needed to think of something and decided by the end of the meeting since the students already need to prepare for the school fest by Monday. Not to mention, the third-year was already busy with their exam preparation, so they could not spend the rest of the weekend thinking about the school fest instead of studying. 

 

Coming up with an idea on the spot was not easy, especially with the new recruitment potential in mind. Kenjiro, as the new president, suggested they form a circle to brainstorm, as they threw any ideas that they had in mind. He wrote it on the board as the members speak their ideas of what they wanted to do, without giving any remarks, yet. 

By the end of the session he wrote: 

“Food stalls” “Performance” “Band Concert” “Maid Cafe” 

 

The members of the AMC commented on the suggestions, giving the pros and cons of each. 

Food stalls:

 It would be located in the prime schoolyard instead of the clubroom. Not to mention the preparation was rather simple, especially since they just needed to focus on a few dishes Yet, it had low potential in attracting new members due to the competition and lack of memorability.

 

Performance:

It certainly would have that memorable factor, especially as the students would gather in the auditorium to watch them. They could even perform some skits based on Kenjiro’s manga if they wanted to. However, it would certainly clash with the stage show preparation. Not to mention, it was only a week and it would be difficult to prepare for one. Even the drama club had already prepared for it even before the winter break.

 

Band Concert:

A bit similar to the performance, and they had shown their capability in the concert they had a while ago. However, doing classical covers once more would have less impact on the audience. Not to mention, they would be reminded of the Music Club more instead.

Maid Cafe:
It would certainly be an effective way to attract new members to join the club next year. To start with, Suzuyuki was pretty popular school-wide. Her classmates had always wondered what club Suzu joined (before finding out about her and the AMC at the concert). It could not be argued that it would have the same effect on the potential new students. However… 

“Rejected. It’s too embarrassing!” Renge immediately protested, knowing full well she would also be dragged into it. She could not imagine herself dressed like a maid and calling the customers Masters, and deep down would be jealous if she saw Suzuyuki doing so to others.

As they seemed to be short of ideas, Suzuyuki stared at the whiteboard as she suddenly said,

“What about a Butler Cafe? It won’t be embarrassing, right? Plus, we have more than enough people for it.”

Renge thought about it for a while. AMC did have more boys than girls in the first place. They would still be considered cosplaying, so it was in the same vein as the maid cafe in terms of attracting customers and memorability. Plus, the fine-looking butlers (like Subaru who was also madly popular with the girls) would cause people to look forward to joining the club next year. It was basically the maid cafe, without the cons. The boys did not seem to mind either, as Kenjiro as the new president approved of the idea.

 

Suzuyuki beamed as she heard that, clapping her hands in delight at the conclusion of the meeting. “The five of us will need to work hard for it.”

It took a while for Renge to notice what Suzuyuki meant by “the five of us”. It was until the time when Suzuyuki joined the talk about going to the tailors that everything finally clicked.

“Wait, you mean, all five of us, as butlers?”

As Kenjiro had already approved the idea, and even fill the forms, Renge could not reject the idea anymore. At least it was not as embarrassing, so she was sure that she could manage it. Plus, the butler job did not seem to be as flirty as maids, so she was sure she will not be jealous of Suzuyuki later on.

As the weekend was spent by the third-years studying for their examination preparation, the club members met at the tailor on Monday. It was just located in the shopping district near the school anyway as they walked there. Kenjiro had contacted them in advance so they had selected the potential suits that could be slightly altered for the butler costume. That, and adjusting the size to their measurements. The store owner helped the boys in their measurements, as Suzuyuki was the one who helped Renge given that the tailor has no female employees. Apparently, she learned it in her study as a lady, to Renge’s surprise. As for Suzuyuki’s own measurements, she had brought a note that she had prepared beforehand.  As they tried on the suit and pants, Suzuyuki could not hide her excitement when she admired her onee-sama in the (oversized) suit. Renge ended up blushing from it while she looked in the mirror, but then again, still better than a maid costume.

 

Ultimately, they only measure the outfit for 4 people as Jun would be the one that worked in the kitchen. It made the most sense given that he actually helped in his family’s restaurant. 

“Oh right, we are still running a cafe. I thought we’re just cosplaying. Renge was so distracted by the butler costume that she forgot their initial goal, as the rest of the AMC chuckled about it. 

Jun even had prepared the menu concept for the cafe. Since they could not use copyrighted materials like an official collaboration cafe, he made some illustrations with the anime genres as their theme. The menu would include appetizers, main course, dessert and drinks as he would also be open to suggestions if the other members had any for their favourite genres. 

The students did not have any class one day before the School Festival as they prepared for the event. The school was pretty lively with the students roaming back and forth as if the Fest had already started. The members of the AMC had just finished decorating the butler cafe, as they proceeded to try the outfit, as well as the food test. The suit had been tailored to their size as the four of them, especially the girls looked very different. Renge had her hair tied down to a ponytail giving her a cool look, whereas Suzuyuki kept her hair untied. Her silver hair was the most beautiful styled like that, after all, according to Renge. The suits, shirt and pants fit nicely as well as the two admired how the others looked.

 

Afterwards. they changed back to their school uniform so that they would not spoil their outfit during the food test. They tried the first menu, Slice of Life as Japanese Cucumber Salad, an appetizer that was Jun’s speciality dish in his restaurant. He chose it because it was his favourite genre, and the food was served in slices. Each bite would be refreshing and healing, just like when he read the iyashikei genre. Next, ‘Shounen’, which was basically a katsudon (cutlet rice). Renge recommended it because the characters in shounen manga often ended up victorious. Subaru and Kenjiro recommended Yaoi, a milk soda, and Romance, brown sugar coffee (because it’s bitter-sweet) respectively. Plus,  several other menus to make it two in each category. Mystery/Horror as a squid-ink spaghetti (Main), Comedy in form of peanut mochi (Dessert). 

 

Yuri was the other dessert that they had as Renge wondered what it would be. A white macaron, symbolising the pure white lily flower. 

“You made this on your own, Jun? I never knew that you could make western pastries.” Renge said as she tried a bite. It was delightful and yet it has a crunchy texture with the cream in the middle. It was something that Renge had yet to try before that day. 

“No, that’s Suzuyuki’s menu. She’s the one that made it and will bring them tomorrow.” Jun said, all while Suzuyuki smiled as she stared at Renge. She was so happy that her onee-sama had eaten her macarons and even complimented them. With the cafe’s menu set, the AMC members were pretty excited for the next day to come.

 

As expected from the Amanohara School Festival, the school grounds were filled with lots of visitors. Kenjiro as the club president was the one giving out the brochures at the entrance. His dressing as a butler did attract attention as people generally got curious to take his brochures; a good sign of interest as even if they did not visit the cafe, the brochures had the club name on them.  When they reached the cafe that was located on the third floor, they were greeted by the neatly-dressed butlers. As the clubrooms were not big by default, it was quickly filled by the customers. In order to anticipate further interest, they ended up giving time slots for the customers. Thankfully they understood, and as they were excited to go around Amanohara the visitors did not stay in the cafe for long, anyway. They were there to be served by the cool and cute butlers and ended up loving the delicious food and drinks. Yuri, the macarons, were especially popular and sold out fast, especially with female customers.

    Time really flew in such a busy yet fun day as it was getting close to evening, soon. The AMC”s Butler cafe was about to welcome the last batch of customers for the 16:00 slot as Renge was the one greeting the customers at the clubroom entrance. “Welcome to the AMC Cafe!” the ex-Club President said with a smile to the guests, where the other butlers led them to their table. However, Renge's expression changed when it came to the last two guests… 

Wait. why is Chisato and Konomi here?

The two of them grinned as Chisato showed her the time slot ticket, “We’re customers too, you know.”

“We’re totally not gonna miss seeing our beloved Renge in a butler outfit,” Konomi-sensei added as they walked inside the clubroom. Apparently, they asked Kenjiro for the last as he returned for his last shift not long after. The two even asked for Renge to be the assigned butler for their table.  They kept their creepy grin as they stared at the purple-haired butler who was waiting for their orders.

“Don’t be silly, just order something!” Renge naturally pouted as the two were taking their time, staring at her and even giggling in order to annoy her.

“So Ren’s character type is actually a tsundere.” Being scolded only caused Chisato to tease her further. 

“Don’t call me that!” Renge protested, as the two of them chuckled. They really love seeing Renge blush like that, as after they were satisfied with it, Konomi-sensei made their orders. Ordering the food one by one though, as they wanted to call on Renge more often. The two of them stayed in the clubroom until the closing hours, as the butlers, including Junichiro from the kitchen, thanked all of the visitors as they walked out of the cafe. 

 

    The ‘closure’ of the Butler Cafe signified the end of the school festivals as the students were expected to gather in the schoolyard an hour after. Junichiro cleaned the kitchen as the boys helped in washing the dishes and throwing away the trash; the decorations could wait until the next club meeting as they had to return the borrowed table and chair. Meanwhile, the girls were changing in the backroom as they needed to be in the school uniform for the closing ceremony. 

 

In the middle of the schoolyard, the large bonfire was lit together when the sun started to set. The students gathered around the flame as the new Student Council President said his thanks to the students who helped to make the Amanohara School Festival successful. The speech ended the School Festival officially as some of the students walked home after a long day. 

 

The ones that stayed circled the bonfire as they relaxed from the warmth it radiated, given how they were still in mid-winter. Some of them sat on the floor while chatting with their friends; while several others seemed to buy into the hearsay that confessing in front of the bonfire had a sure chance of having their love approved, as seen by the couples forming around it. Several others started to dance to the rhythm of the music on the stage, as it was playing a classical Japanese instrument rendition of the school theme. 

 

Seeing the crowd start to dance, Suzuyuki offered her hand to Renge who was just sitting and relaxing in front of her.

“Shall we dance?” The younger girl said with a soft smile. Renge certainly did not expect it yet she stood up and took Suzuyuki’s hands.
“I can’t dance, though…” Renge said with a blush. 

“I’ll teach you. Just follow my instructions.” Suzuyuki tugged on her onee-sama’s hands as one of them held her shoulder.

The two of them started to dance as she whispered the instruction in Renge’s ears. Suzuyuki had learned ballroom dancing but the movements were more or less the same, as it involved moving the body to the song’s rhythm. Circling around the bonfire, the two girls stared at each other. The sky might have gotten darker as the night arrived, as the brightness of the flame illuminated each other’s faces in the dark, cold night. Highlighting their smiles as they danced the night away.

5