CHAPTER 9: THE ARRIVAL
232 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took two days and one night for Leon to arrive at the western gates.It was one heck of long and tired journey for all of them.They arrived at night there, as the carriage stops count edward steps forward to ensure that everything is all right, but to his surprise there was just one soldier standing there welcoming them.

”Welcome...welcome count edward” he said with nervousness as he also know that the presence of his captain at such occasions was must.

”What about others and the captain, weren’t you inform about our arrival” edward said in strict tone with displeased look.

”We were count, but the captain is on round with some troops and the ones left behind are busy with the booze” the soldier reply with hesitation.

”I already make sure to inform them about our arrival, but showing such discourtesy by not attending us at our arrival is not acceptable.Presence of the captain is must but even he is not here, they are probably looking down on the young master” edward in his mind.

Hearing some noise from outside Leon gets down from the carriage and asks,”What’s this commotion all about, count?”.Seeing Leon the soldier is quite shocked.

”Young master, that…” count stops in halfway, bit sad not knowing how to explain the situation.Seeing just one soldier Leon gets the grasp of situation.

Jared who was behind Leon also gets the situation and in anger clenching his teeth he said,”Such rudeness..”.As soon as jared could say something any further Leon stoped him showing one hand and said,

”We will look into this matter after but before, count edward please prepare our rooms as we just arrive and we all need some rest, and you[soldier] go and tell your captain to be present outside the quarters tomorrow morning before the sun rises with the whole battalion.

”Yes, sir” the soldier replied.”I have prepare the rooms, we should get there” edward said to Leon.

”In such situations lot of nobles would have loose control over their anger and would have even give a bold decision but he was calm and didn’t pass any silly order, as expected of our young master.But I will look forward to what decision young master will take tomorrow” edward thinks in his mind while walking through the way to his room.

The next day — outside the quarters in the practice ground the whole battalion of around 900 men with the captain was present standing in rows as army format.As Leon reaches there accompanied by jared and edward one tall soldier with muscular built come towards him doing the march and says,”Sorry, for the late introductions sir.I’m captain ‘Richard Maxwell’ the main incharge of the western gates”.

Seeing Richard anyone could tell that he was someone not to mess with. With a strong sense of justice and unbelievable manpower he was like a barbarian, having 900 soldiers under his command.On his left eye there were three scars and looking at the scars one could tell that it were the scars he got from the claw of a wild beast.

“So this is him huh, Leon Britannia when the news about duke ordering his eight year old grandchild to go to western borders came I didn’t believe it.I did get the arrival information but I thought that its just one of those regular visit of count edward and thought of it as some kind of bluff for the aristocrats or some noble politics.I never imagined that the duke would actually send a kid to the western gates that is why I didn’t go to receive him.When the soldier came to me last night and inform me that the young master was present there with count edward I was shocked hearing it, but again this kid is just an half-blood so the duke would probably want to remove him.Whether he lives or dies it won’t matter to anyone and I don’t think he will last long than two days in this harsh environment and atmosphere” Richard in his mind.

Western gates was totally a barren land with no civilians and town near it, as long as you would see.With no rain at all there, the summers there are like boiling lava and winters are extremely cold.The army at western border have to depend on monthly supply they get from Britannia to survive such harsh place.That is why it was considered as living hell.

”I apologise for last night incident, you can give us any punishment that fits us for our rudeness” Richard said while standing and bowing his head down.

”what now, we gonna do squats while holding our ears” one soldier from the crowd slowly whispered as a joke, while the others giggle hearing it.

”Shut your damn mouth we can hear you” Richard yelled angrily in his mind while keeping a calm composure in-front of Leon.

”As it was your first mistake, I won’t go harsh on you.Count edward, I order to half this month’s salary of the whole battalion including the captain and the supply of alcohol will be cut off for two whole months, that’s all” Leon said with smile.

”I was going to not give them any punishment and just give them a warning as I will have to get along with them but after hearing that joke I think they should first learn not to look down on me” Leon in his mind.

Hearing the orders the whole battalion was shocked with their mouths wide open, as half pay cut and alcohol was like their souls to them in such harsh place and Leon getting hold on both of that was like piercing their souls.Jared standing behind Leon smirks as he was proud on his master’s decision, while edward standing next to him replies to Leon with a smile, “So thoughtful of young master to show mercy, I will immediately implement your orders”.

”Now shall we get going to the gates and do some business over there” Leon told to Richard.

”Yes young master” Richard replies.Richard escorts Leon to the gates while jared with him, and the soldiers leaves the ground to get going to their assigned posts.

“For him to give such punishment did he came up with it, no count edward might have given him suggestion hmm...that might probably the case.We will see how long you[Leon] are going to act tough.To make him realise how tough and different this place is from the whole world gate 3 should be enough.Yes a mid tier disaster level gate should be good to open his eyes and make him understand that it’s not his playground and how naive he was to come here.Your first day will be your last, sorry kid.It’s not like I hold a grudge against him or something.But its better for him to back off while he still can, it’s for his own good” Richard in his mind.

As they reached there Leon and jared sees big huge walls that could be unable to climb by any one unless you have some ropes or stairs to climb it.A huge iron gate with closed doors was attached to it and huge number 3 was written on in with red colour.On the top of the wall there was an alley which was use by post-guards to keep an watch on monsters activity on the other side as the walls were so huge that they could see far away from there, beside that the magicians also use that to attack the monsters as they are not close combat fighters.The gate was use by the soldiers to go on the other side of border and fight with the monsters they also make sure to keep the monsters away from the gates and wall.That is how they fight the ‘monster waves’.Monster wave is the word use for group of monsters attacking at the same time.The monsters would attack everyday and their attacking time was uncertain so the soldiers had to be alert all the time.Its always the matter of,
’kill or be killed’. 

[ALL RIGHTS RESERVED,2022©SAM]

14