Chapter 9 – Misfortunes
14k 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A long time after this, Chen Ruo Yu did not meet Meng Gu again.  Liang Sisi had helped her with the hospital checkout formalities.  When she heard that Meng Gu's mood was not good and she was so scared that she did not even dare to venture out the door of her house.

Going into hiding for a while had benefits and later when she went out again, she did not have any 'romantic chance encounter' again.  She did not go to the hospital, the supermarket or the café anymore.

In fact, Chen Ruo Yu felt that Meng Gu was right.  They were really not suitable for each other.

He was calm and collected and had long understood the situation. 

She was blind and daze and only felt the pain after she hit the wall.

The distance between them was like being separated by a sea.  Not only was their life circle different, but their personalities were also different.  It was also because of her various shameful, disgraceful behavior that was performed in front of him that separated them.

He was very clear that she pursued him not because she likes him and he even knew she had chosen and picked between him and Lei Feng.  Since Lei Feng already had a fiancée, she had then chosen him.   It sounded like she was a woman who disregarded feelings and only cared about practicality.  This had made Chen Ruo Yu felt very shameful.

She wanted to say she is not an indecisive woman, not one who has high standards but with little ability and not one who is fickle in matters of love.  She had only hoped to find a man with good qualities and live a peaceful life together.  There is nothing wrong with having this kind of hope.  One who is not always able to meet a man with good qualities and therefore if one is able to meet someone good, it is not wrong to take the initiative.

This is similar to going on blind-dates.  At the first meeting, perhaps one may not be able to fall in love but if the other person has good qualities and he is a willing partner who also wants to try to get along, isn't this the same thing?

Feelings can slowly be cultivated.

Well, Chen Ruo Yu also has to admit that although this argument is somewhat reasonable, it is also feeble.  Just like the time she was caught red-handed on the spot bad-mouthing Meng Gu with someone else.  It had a sense of indisputable helplessness.

In short, she must have given him the impression she was a very unlikeable person.

So he had clearly rejected her and he had said that they could only be friends.

But she does not want to be friends with him. She likes him and so she cannot be friends with him.  She also does not want to do this.  After she had completely destroyed her own image then only she realizes she likes that person.  She really does not want to do this kind of stupid thing. 

Since this had happened, so she had to face it.  She wants to silently cut off all her emotional feelings and extinguish the small flame of love that had ignited.

So she does not intend to meet him again.  She wants to continue living her ordinary, chaotic life. Maybe later, she will find a suitable life partner, talk about love and make plans to get married.

But first of all, she must brace herself and go through the string of unlucky events that were happening before her.

Recently, Chen Ruo Yu's luck is indeed bad, so bad that it cannot get any worse.

The first unlucky thing that happened was the two wicked people who had assaulted her refused to pay for her hospital expenses.  Before that, they had agreed to pay compensation but now they were unwilling to pay up.  Although Chen Ruo Yu was a wastrel and afraid of getting into trouble, she had hardened her heart to seek justice regarding this matter.  With a body of injuries, she ran back and forth to the police station and even consulted a lawyer.  If necessary, she planned to go to court with the two wicked men.

She looked at Liang Sisi and held her hands. "If anything happens to me, I will have to rely on you to settle things for me.  Help me inform my family.  I have bought insurance for myself and the beneficiary is my mother.  As to my bank account, there is not much money inside.  There is also my good friend, Gao Yu Lan.  If a misfortune befalls me, you must only tell her at the last minute."

"Okay, okay."  Liang Sisi interrupted her.  "Please don’t entrust me with this type of heavy responsibility.  Take good care of yourself.  If anything really happens to you and later when you find that you have entrusted the wrong person, I'm afraid you will not be able to rest in peace."

"I look forward to your sterling performance."

"You should curtail your sterling performance.  You've already done your best and those two men don't look like they are good people."

Chen Ruo Yu nodded and although she felt scared, she was reluctant to back down.  In this life, she had always been timid and afraid of trouble.  Only in this matter, she was brave for once.  It had nothing to do with anyone else except she was doing this for her own sake and so she persisted.

Fortunately, her customer finally received his full insurance compensation which gave her some comfort.

But the continuous effect of this incident did not end.  Her company was not happy with her actions in creating trouble over the incident.  To some leaders in the company, her actions had created disruptions for the company.  Not only did she cause trouble for the company but also she did not consider the interests of the company.  Fortunately for Chen Ruo Yu, her immediate Supervisor supported her but during the following days, she had to constantly go for meetings and face reprimands.  As a result, she was both mentally and physically exhausted.

During this period, Meng Gu called her twice but she was afraid to answer.  She stared at the screen showing Meng Gu's name until the screen turned black and the ringtone finally stopped. 

Chen Ruo Yu's family also made several phone calls to her.  Her family told her that a relative would be coming to A-city and reminded her to receive the relative and entertain him.  They also asked whether she could let him stay with her for a few days and also wanted her to take the relative to her company for a visit.

This is simply taking her life.  Her rented apartment is so small that there is not enough room for him to stay and even if there is ample space, she will never let him stay.  How can she allow a male relative to squeeze into her small apartment that the two girls are sharing?  Sometimes, Chen Ruo Yu really does not understand what her family is thinking and also she has to take the relative to her company for a visit.  This type of common people's pure show-off attitude really makes her very shameful.  In addition, she cannot allow her company to be known to her family.  How can she tell her family she is selling insurance?

Chen Ruo Yu made various excuses to decline her family's request to entertain the relative.  She even lied that she would be out of the city on a business trip but she did not expect that her job as an insurance salesperson would be exposed.

That day she had a meeting with her Manager and a customer in a coffee shop.  After the customer had left, the Manager had sat there patiently giving her advice for half an hour.  He taught her how to behave and deal with customers with understanding.  The last customer that she had serviced, she had done it with too little consideration, etc.  She did not refute, bowed her head and listened.  When they were leaving, she found a friend of her rival, Qi Na from her hometown, sitting at the next table.  She recognized him and of course, he knew who she was.  His face showed an expression full of interest and she knew that he was very happy with the gossip of witnessing her being scolded by her superior.

Chen Ruo Yu quickly left but in her heart, she felt a large piece of stone was pressing down heavily on her, giving her a blocked feeling. 

This person will certainly tell Qi Na about this.  And since Qi Na resented her, so Qi Na will surely spread the news and she would also spice up the rumors with her own additional juicy bits of information. She even wondered whether Qi Na would make a special trip to her home to tell her mother and relatives and express her sympathy and regret for Chen Ruo Yu's failure as a daughter.

With all the unlucky things piled up together, Chen Ruo Yu felt defeated.

She had just lost her love.  She avoided picking up his calls and had offended the person she likes.  She had deceived her family and was going to be exposed any time soon.  She was made the butt of a joke by the person she hated.  Soon she would become a laughing stock of the social circle in that small town.  She was assaulted but the culprits had yet to be brought to justice.  Her life was still in danger. Her work was at stake and her superiors were keeping a close watch on her…….

These few days, Chen Ruo Yu did not even have the spirit to sigh.

Her phone kept on ringing endlessly.  The threatening calls were made by those two evil men, cursing in vulgar words and warning her to watch out.  Her mother had called to ask her whether she had left on a business trip, when would she return to A-city and told her the relative was about to come to A-city.  One of her few friends who still have contact with her, Yang Yang told her that Qi Na recently spread damaging rumors about her.  Yang Yang told her to be prepared.  Prepared?  What should she be prepared for?

Every time her phone rings, she will tremble and feel scared.

Finally, she made up her mind she did not care anymore.  Since her mobile credit had already been used up, she did not intend to top up the credit and let the phone line be suspended.  After pretending to be dead for a few days, she finally reached a decision and simply deregistered her line. She wanted to alienate herself from all these crippling problems and she wanted a fresh start.

She did not believe she will continue to be so unlucky.   She did not believe she will encounter an even more unlucky event than all these.

But she was wrong.

She really met with an even more unlucky matter!

She had acute gastroenteritis and was hospitalized again!

She was in a bad mood.  She drank a can of beer and ate a bowl of spicy soup which caused her to suffer from acute gastroenteritis and was admitted to the hospital.  Chen Ruo Yu who was lying in bed in the hospital felt like crying.

The only good news was that she was conscious enough to choose the hospital she was admitted into.  The hospital was located far away from the hospital where Meng Gu was working and far away from the people she knew.

She needed the loneliness.

However, the loneliness did not make her mood better, she became more vulnerable and she felt very sad.  She really wanted to hide in a place where nobody knows her.  What Chen Ruo Yu did not know was that the time she was hospitalized, her circle of friends was frantically looking for her.

13