Chapter 1
14 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The time passed quickly for my first day. Nothing significant occurred, just introductions left-and-right. I never saw the girl again in any of my classes. 'Maybe she was in a different grade?' I thought.

There was a club convention going on, so people were bustling, moving from 1 booth to another. I wasn't on planning on joining any, so I walked past the smiling faces of the club inviters, and the laughing of the freshmen students with my earphones holding my ears tightly, like they wouldn't let go even if I wanted them to.

'A change of tune.' I suggested myself, tapping away and exiting the premises of the school.

Some people in this world have a condition that won't allow them to do things as they please; like the girl at the back of the class that doesn't participate, or the guy that stutters when speaking to a girl, or the guy that you have to constantly tell to speak up since they can't be heard. Not me though, I wasn't like that. I didn't have anxiety, or any insecurities that made it impossible for me to talk to people. I just had no interest in things like joining clubs, or getting people to like me; I just wanted to go home. 

As I walked outside the premises of the school, a group of boisterous students caught my attention. It was a mixed group of guys and girls, laughing as they walked. 

I hadn't really thought anything of it, but it reminded me of when I was younger in middle-school. There were always the 'popular kids' that everyone liked. I always saw them going off somewhere after school with friends, never really being alone. I always wondered what they did, what it felt like to be out late at night with your friends on a school day.  I always did feel a little insecure, since I wasn't doing what everyone else was, but it didn't matter, because I remembered the shows I used to watch, and that sooner or later the protagonist who was just like me would have his turn; I stopped caring a little while in grade 8 and just focused on 'getting the bag', like what lot of the people I looked up to said.

I turned my head away and turned the music up louder, but as I was fidgeting with my phone I noticed from the corner of my eyes a girl with long, sleek-black hair walking across the crosswalk.

'Oh, it's her.' I turned back my memory of this morning, when she hurriedly knocked my phone down. 

I looked around her, seeing if anyone was with her. 'I guess she's walking home alone, like me.' I was a little relieved that I hadn't seen anyone else. I felt a little connection seeing her walking by herself.

I stopped walking, looking at her with the phone in my hand and remembering that I forgot to even ask for her name, or that I didn't even have Kinstagram, or that I didn't text at all.

I wanted to go talk up to her. But I hesitated to do so because this wasn't like the usual me, which is quite an uncomfortable feeling. What would I get out of this? I thought. My phone isn't even broken, and I doubt it is, but I really did want to talk to her So I started walking towards her anyway, as I thought of 'I forgot your kinstagram user' as an excuse. 

Don't get me wrong though, I wasn't getting controlled by my emotions at all. I just thought, that maybe my phone IS actually broken and it just hasn't showed  it yet, or I missed something. So in the case that it WAS, then I'd at least have contact with her and get her to pay for it.

"Hey," I tapped her on the shoulder. I don't mean to be weird, but her tiny shoulders felt really nice; of course, not in a perverted way, just that it made me feel giddy; it like something fragile you wanted to hold onto so it wouldn't shatter, or like your favorite teddy bear when you were younger.

"..Girl." I paused, trying to introduce myself; but I thought that it would be a weird or rude introduction to say "Hey, my name's Owen, and you broke my phone this morning." Granted, I didn't have much social interactions so maybe it would be alright to say. But I didn't have enough time to actually ponder anything past the thinking it was weird part, so I just said the first thing that came to mind.

"Ah.. I mean, do you remember me?" I said.

Surprisingly, she actually seemed to like my blunder, as she replied back with a giggle and a "Yeah I do, boy." 

"I'm Aubrey," She leaned towards me, looking at me with her bubbly eyes. "What's your name?" She swayed back as we kept walking forward.

"I'm..Owen." I replied, holding my hand out like an awkward student doing his first job interview.

"Okay," She said, grasping my hands. "Owen. Sorry about this morning!"

I stared at our holding hands for a little too long it seems, as she chimed in, "Can you let go?"

"Oh, sorry." I immediately let go and scratched my head, my back started sweating from being nervous. 

"Was that weird?" I said, trying to making it less awkward.

"No It's fine. Anyway, is the phone broken or..?" She asked.

"Ah.." I took my phone out from my pocket, then showed it to her. "No, I don't think so.. But it might be, I think. It dropped pretty hard, so I think maybe it the damage just hasn't showed yet?"

She looked at me with squinted eyes and nodded, while going 'Mmmm..' 

For some odd reason, I found that gesture attractive and made my heart skip a beat.  

"Ok.." The upper corners of her mouth curled up. Seeing this, I felt a little elated. 

"Have you sent me a follow request yet?" She asked.

"Oh, I forgot your user," I explained, "and I actually don't have one." 

"You should make one then," She said, while taking her phone out as well. "Just take a picture, so you don't forget."

"Ok, yeah. Sure." I take a picture of her profile. 

"By the way, are you a freshman?" I asked, trying to extend the conversation. "I didn't see you in any of my classes, so I thought maybe you were an upper-class man." 

She shook her head and replied, "No, I'm freshman. I guess we just couldn't get the same schedule?" 

I replied with an 'I see.' and asked her another question, "So what middle-school did you go to?" 

She said that she was actually new here, only arriving before the school year started, and that she hadn't made any friends yet so far.

Hearing this, I felt glad. I could be her first friend here.

We continued on talking for a little while after, with me asking a lot mundane questions, but I learned a little bit about her; like how she had a little sister, and that she actually plays the same game I've played for the past 7 years of my life. 

It was safe to say that I was really excited, since we could get even closer playing the game I loved, and that she's been a long time player as well.

Before we parted ways, she asked me 'Oh, I thought you were going the same way I was?'.  I told her that I wasn't without explaining why I went this way, and she just laughed and said 'ok bye' as a response.

I went straight home after that.  I felt a little weird since I've never done anything like that before, but I also felt great.

I couldn't wait to get home and start setting up my account.

1