Arc 1 – Chapter 7
684 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1.7

 

When Liu Yue came back to his room, he changed his clothes, blew out the candle and quickly got into the bed. The bed faintly smelled of the clean scent of jasmine and he realized that it was the smell the Second Prince carried about his person. Liu Yue was somewhat surprised as he almost thought that the Second Prince’s smell would be of blood and steel.

 

He didn’t have time to relax before he heard the sound of the door opening slowly with a creak. Holding the covers up comically like a frightened child, Liu Yue peeked over. He saw a dark shadow in the window, dressed all in black like he had been before.

 

No way… an assassin? 

 

The creature hopped in through the window with an also familiar agility and Liu Yue’s heart sank into his chest.

 

A demon.

 

What could he do? When the claws came slashing out he dodged out of the way and emitted a loud and piercing shriek. Surprised that his target had disappeared suddenly, the demon - some kind of bird by the appearance of beak and beady eyes on either side of the head - turned and slashed out again.

 

Liu Yue dodged and dodged, but compared to a well-trained demon, his cultivation was much too low. He had never had any practice in the demon arts and he only had his inborn talent which had never been developed further. Soon he felt the demon snag the back of his hair and he went crashing to the ground.

 

As the bloodthirsty saliva fell onto his cheek and the breath of the demon came closer, Liu Yue closed his eyes. At least now I won’t have to worry about transforming…

 

But instead of sharp claws instead something hot and wet sprayed onto his neck and the front of his clothes. There was a gurgling sound and Liu Yue opened his eyes in time to see the bird demon toppling towards him. He scooted out of the way only just in the nick of time and as the bird demon fell onto the ground, the Second Prince was revealed behind him. Eyes cold like ice, he held a bloodied blade in his hands.

 

“Are you okay, brother?”

 

“Fine…. I think?” Liu Yue looked back at the ground. Now there was no demon but only a common brown sparrow lying dead on the ground with a slash mark across it’s chest. The Second Prince picked it up with his hand. 

 

“This may become useful. Stay here. I’ll be back.”

 

He left as abruptly as he came. Stupefied, Liu Yue continued to sit on the ground for some time before he got up and went to the bath again. The water was freezing cold by now but he took off his clothes and got into the water. The sudden chill helped him clear his head.

 

This event… completely never happened at all. Of course it was Master Xu Yuan’s work, likely at the Empress instigation. The demon had probably mistaken him for the Second Prince since he was sleeping in his bed. But why? She had never made a move on him before. Until her trueborn son came of age she used him to suppress the Crown Prince, just as she used the Crown Prince to suppress him. It was a delicate power balance in the Court. In the movie she had also tried to kill him and Song LingLing but that was not until much later.

 

But now she is frightened so she has decided to strike in advance. In the movie Master Xu Yuan had never been summoned to Court.

 

I wanted the story to change and it has, Liu Yue thought. From now on I won’t have the benefit of foresight to know what’s going to happen. I’ll be blind just like everyone else.

 

He got up and dressed himself in new clothes. Then he went to sit on the bed and waited. Outside there was the sound of a lot of running about and loud talking but he didn’t go outside. He had no skills and would only add to the mess. Eventually it became quiet again. A little while after that there was a rap on the door.

 

“Come in.” 

 

Wei YunXiao came back in. His face was haggard and he was covered in the faint sheen of sweat. Some of his clothing was torn. Liu Yue got up when he saw him. 

 

“What happened?”

“There were five other demons. One of them targeted the servant’s rooms.”

 

“Song LingLing.”

 

Wei YunXiao nodded. “But she is fine. We got him before he could go near her.”

 

Liu Yue worried his lower lip, thinking. The Empress had sent Dong Ru to perform her task as in the script but then she had changed her mind and sent demons to wipe out the household. The event would no doubt cause a big stir - the Second Prince was a renowned hero not the mention a royal son - and would cast suspicion in the eyes of the Court and the people upon herself. But clearly she had decided all these risks was worth it.

 

“She is frightened and feels she is being backed into a corner. That is good.” Wei YunXiao signed tiredly. “That assassin was after me.”

 

Liu Yue nodded. 

 

“I will stay here tonight to accompany you, in case there is another attack.”

 

“But… what about the female pro- ah, Song LingLing?” Liu Yue blurted out. At a time like this shouldn’t he be worried about his future wife?

 

Wei YunXiao looked at him, looking faintly amused. “I have sent guards to patrol. They will patrol vigilantly for the next few days. But this my room. Do you have an objection?”

 

I don’t dare! Liu Yue shook his head. You’re the male lead, you know best!

 

He hesitated. “Are you going to sleep there?” 

 

The Second Prince had sat on one of the cushions in front of his study table. Other than that there wasn’t any other comfortable places in the room, except…

 

“Why don’t we… share the bed?” The words came out easily enough. After all this was what people often said on TV and in books. Of course usually these words were said between the male and female lead, but times were desperate right?

 

Wei YunXiao looked at him with surprise, a look which faded into faint curiosity. “Share the bed?”

 

“Sure!” Liu Yue nodded vigorously. “After all it’s your bed isn’t it?”

 

No one was going to argue with that kind of logic.

 

***

 

When Wei YunXiao took off his outer gown and got into the bed, Liu Yue expected to feel uncomfortable but unexpectedly he didn’t.

 

Probably it was because the Second Prince held himself stiff like a board on the edge of the bed, and because of his clean, jasmine scent.

 

He had been frightened before but now suddenly he felt quite safe. Liu Yue folded the cover on his side neatly under his body and closed his eyes.

 

“Are you sleeping now?” Wei YunXiao’s deep voice sounded on the other side of the bed. There wasn’t much expression his words.

 

“Huh? Well I am still awake now.” Did the other man want to talk?

 

“Do you ever wonder who your real parents are or what your real heritage is?”

 

Ah, that… Liu Yue realized he had forgotten to be concerned about it. If someone found they were not the child of their parents, then obviously their biggest concern should be finding out where they came from right? 

 

Obviously he did not have any parents in this world. But more than that because he had grown up in the orphanage he had gotten used to disassociating his identity with that of his parents.

 

Liu Yue obviously knew that his mother had committed suicide after murdering his father. The reason was suspected adultery. It was obviously horrible but he had no memory of either of those two people. So even when people were looking at him sideways and whispering about it, he always felt like he didn’t know how he should feel about it. It was an event he didn’t feel connected with.

 

Hearing his silence, Wei YunXiao looked over. He saw that the Crown Prince was staring into the darkness with half open eyes. There was an odd expression there: almost a defiance, a rejection. The face was wholly unlike the shy and amenable persona he had adopted over the last few days, or the cruel and languid personality from previously.

 

“I… well, they are probably dead right?”

 

Wei YunXiao was surprised he had come to accept it so easily. Of course it was the most likely option. The Empress was unlikely to leave them alive to talk, if her actions towards Beauty Yu was any indication. Had Liu Yue realized this from the beginning too? Was that why he hadn’t mentioned a word about them? He found himself surprised again at Liu Yue’s mental strength.

 

“If the plan succeeds and I become the Crown Prince instead of you, then you don’t have to worry. There will always be a place for you, beside me.” 

 

Liu Yue opened his eyes wider. His expression was surprised and then a smile crept into it and the corners of his phoenix eyes crinkled alluringly.

 

As though embarrassed, Wei YunXiao turned away. Liu Yue grinned at him. These kind of sentimental words, coming out of that ice block’s mouth, what a surprise!

 

It looks like it was the right decision to invite him to share the bed. After all this was what people like to refer to as a bonding moment right? 

 

Pleased with himself, he closed his eyes again. “Thank you. Goodnight, second brother!”

 

Wei YunXiao mumbled a reply. Liu Yue went to sleep quickly, the solid and reliable presence next to him calming and reassuring him immensely. 

 

Because he was used to sleeping alone he didn’t have any instincts to keep to himself. Not long after he turned over and pressed lightly onto Wei YunXiao’s frozen body. His long unbound hair was spread like silk between them.

 

Liu Yue slept well and woke up refreshed but he didn’t realize that next to him there was a man that didn’t sleep at all.

 


 

Sorry this chapter is late omg!! *bows*

Next update in 2 days.

38