Prologue – The Marcomannic Wars
210 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

README(Decisions and changes):

Spoiler

I decided to become unoriginal, base the world on an Earth-like planet with similar topography with few changes, and use the godly pantheons, kingdoms, and cultures from our world and their naming. Call me unoriginal and lazy, but this is to save time and energy thinking up bullshit names 24/7 and getting confused, instead of writing the plot.

I will also do a rework of what I wrote previously. That includes the "eight great families of Lamaria.". Although they won't be historically correct to perfection, I plan on basing them on real patrician families back in the republic of Rome. Ones that had real dictators come out of them. Also, instead of them just being centered on just one thing, they will be like true influential families, having their clutches on just about anything.

All that said, I will naturally add my original gods, myths, and pantheons that are unique to Aessonia.

[collapse]

Enjoy~!

In a far-away universe, on an earth-like yet magical planet called Aessonia. A world with real gods, magic, spirits, monsters, magical creatures, mystical wonders, and more.

Humans are the strongest and most populous race on this planet, but there are other humanoid races, collectively coined as demihumans, as well; The Savage and warlike Orcs, the long-living and graceful Elves, the sturdy and rowdy Dwarves, the wild and honest Beastkin, the mighty and ruthless Goliaths, and the inquisitive and intelligent gnomes.

As for the reason why humans are the most populous, it is because of their uncanny ability to breed and produce half-breeds with all the other races, granting them an advantage. It is also one of the unknown mysteries of this world.

In any case, all of these diverse and unique races live together in this world with subtle harmony, with some races having their kingdoms and empires, while others are content with living in their tribes and clans, or scattered under the occupation of other major powers. Each with its own culture, subculture, and unique religion.

Among the strongest of them, there is the mighty, ever-expanding, multi-racial, and warmongering empire, the Roman empire, believing in the Greco-Roman pantheon.1Yeah, I made it so that the Romans are multi-racial since Romans didn't even know about the concept of racism. They cared more about "civility"

And to its northeast, there are the Savage Germanic lands of both human and orc tribes and Sarmatian Beastkin tribes, loosely united under the same banner against the foreign invasion of the Romans, collectively known as the Germanic tribal alliance, believing in the Nordic pantheon, druidism, and shamanism, strong enough to compete with the encroaching Roman threat.

These two superpowers have had several wars and skirmishes these past two centuries, conquering and recapturing land, pillaging food and wealth, raping the women, killing the young and the old, and enslaving one another in general.

Recently, the Roman empire and the Germanic tribes have enjoyed 80 years of cold peace, with very few skirmishes.

But these times are soon to come to an end.

The Germanic tribes were not the only threats that the Roman empire faced. There was also the land-hungry and ambitious Parthian empire to the east, whose eyes landed on Roman soil.

Due to the Roman emperor passing away due to old age, and his two co-ruling successors being perceived as incompetent and easily bullied, the Parthian emperor took this chance to attack roman soil, conquering some of its lands. It was a grave mistake, as one of the new emperors was a very short-tempered man, and he attacked Parthia in a full-scale war that lasted for five years.

Rome managed to achieve victory in this war and drove the Parthians back to Parthia. However, the Roman Legions contracted a plague in Parthia, bringing it back to Rome, causing the deaths of over 5 million Romans, reducing its 80 million population by a fair amount, weakening it.

Also, on the Germanic tribes' side, a new and mighty nomadic enemy composed entirely of Goliaths called the Goths, immigrated from the cold north and started driving away germanic tribes westwards towards the Roman borders.

Without much of a choice, the Germanic tribal union, consisting of the Germanic Marcomanni Orc tribe, the Quadi human tribe, and the Sarmatian Lazyges tribe, have decided to attack the now-weakened and plague-ravaged Roman empire, sparking a series of wars that would last 14 years.

5 years into the first Marcomannic war, in the year 924RC  (Short for Roman Calendar), after suffering heavy casualties, the weaker Quadi and Lazyges tribes signed a temporary peace treaty with the Romans to buy time to lick their wounds, while other small tribes even allied with the Romans, betraying their Marcomanni allies.

A year later, in March of 925RC, the Roman Legions defeated the Marcomanni tribe. As in Roman fashion, after signing a treaty with the now-subjugated Marcomanni tribe, they took both slaves and conscripted Auxilia to their ranks.

 

 

Our story begins on the day the slaves were chosen, with the last living son of the now-slain Orc shaman, Nurghed Marcomanni, and the now-executed human seeress who had a political marriage with him, Alda Quadi.

His name is Mog. A peculiar half-orc boy with the ability to interact with the spirits of the dead.

SURPRISE!

Yeah, I went full-on historical and removed the previous beginning, I hope you like it!

4