Chapter 4: Visiting (Age 9)
1k 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week has passed since I woke up in the body of Yuriel Northe.

My body had recovered to the point that I could now do various task on my own.

I would like to think that this speed of recovery is all thanks to the medicine prescribed by the doctor, as well as the healing magic applied to me by a priest from the church.

The healing magic was truly amazing though it scared me as my wound wriggled around like a dying snake right before new healthy flesh appeared after. A scar was still left behind after but my wound was basically healed.

“Full marks! As expected of Master Yuriel”

A light green haired woman that sat before me praised as she checked the paper in her hands.

"It has only been a few days since I started teaching you but to have already grasped a majority of the subjects that I have assigned to you. I am quite impressed”

The person before me is called Riona Greenwood, a tutor that father hired after understanding that I also lost my knowledge of this world.

I was surprised when I first met with teacher. This is because she's the very representation of a person that lives in a fantasy world, an elf; well to be specific she's a half-elf.

Aside from being my tutor, teacher is also a part-time instructor within the Academic City of Laurel, while her actual job is that of a researcher.

Father personally hired her to tutor me with the promise that he will provide financial support to her research.

“It is all thanks to teacher's way of teaching that it is very easy for me to understand the subjects”

“That makes me happy to hear that, but there is no need to be so humble”

I am not being humble, it truly is because of teacher's method that I'm quickly grasping my studies.

Even though the letters and numbers of this world is fairly similar to that of earth’s, I could only do so because of how easy it was to understand teacher's teaching.

If not for teacher, I couldn't have known about this world or the country that I am in.

For starters, this world is called Gaia and the country that we are is one of this world's major powers, the Centura Kingdom, who's major export is the mining of special crystals called 'Mana Crystals'.

These crystals can power special tools and devices that require a element called mana.

Mana is something that can be found within most of the things in this world but within mana crystal the concentration is much higher and pure.

“How about we end class for today? Do you not need to leave with Lord Northe soon?”

“That's right. Thank you for today, Miss Riona”

“Fu fu~ It is part of my job after all”, she pats my head while smiling. "Furthermore, having to teach such a bright student is quite fun as well... The rumors about you are truly not to be believed”

Rumors? I have heard from Claire about my past but I didn’t think that there would be rumors about me.

I was quite curious about these rumors so I decided to ask teacher.

“From what I heard from the students in the academy, there are rumors that you are a frail child who is constantly sick. Rumors that you are an eccentric child that uses the lord's authority to get what you want. There is even a ridiculous rumor that you are an illegitimate child of the duke... Well that last one is clearly false seeing that you closely resemble Lady Northe. In fact, if one were to dress you up and place you next to Lady Marietta, it would be like looking at the younger and older versions of the same person"

"I...I see...", I wryly smile towards teacher.

I don’t know how I should take that last sentence though.

“Well as it is nothing but rumors, it's best to not mind it. Let’s just tidy up now”

She's right. It's not like those rumors would change anything. In fact, it just shows me how little people know that they turn to rumors to speculate who I am.

"It is time to depart, young master”

As soon as teacher and I finished cleaning up, Claire arrived in order to fetch me.

“I'll be going now, teacher”

“Take care, young master”

After saying goodbye to teacher, Claire and I headed towards the carriage where father is waiting.

"Ah, Yuriel. Good. We will depart soon, so climb on the carriage”

As soon as I arrived, father told me to board the carriage. He was still talking to a servant so we didn't immediately part..

"Be good while I'm gone, Claire"

Though she's my personal maid, I didn't have Claire join me because I needed her to do an errand for me.

“Yes. Please take care as well, young master”, she replied with a swift bow. “I will make sure that the order that you have given me will immediately be taken care of”

“Thank you, Claire”, I pat her head, to which she showed a pleased expression.

“Yuriel, let us go”

Father, who seemed to have finished speaking with one of the servants, finally climbed aboard. It didn't take long before we departed.

Today's destination is the royal castle to meet with the king.

For some reason, His Majesty wanted to see me as soon as I was able to move around.

Father didn’t say why someone like the king would want to see me but he did mention that it wasn’t something that I should worry about.

...

......

.........

...It's quiet...

Inside the moving carriage, not a peep could be heard from either father or I.

Father was quietly reading documents while I on the other-hand am enjoying the the view outside.

In the past few days that I’ve been living as Yuriel Northe, I understood that Father is hardly the type to start a casual conversation.

Mother said that father is the type that feels awkward talking to his children but he's still trying his best to act fatherly.

Due to him usually being in the castle, he mostly ever returns home when it is dinner time. It's because of this that he worries that we are growing distant to him.

Well compared to my previous parent's, father is much better as he tries his best to have time with his family.

“...”

From time to time, I can see father turning his gaze towards me. It would seem like he wants to strike up a conversation but is too shy to do it.

In situations like this I would strike up a conversation myself, but I remember that mother had told me to refrain from it, so that he gets used to it.

The whole while, the carriage was quiet until we finally came to a stop.

Father tried to hide the look of disappointment on his face when the carriage door opened.

He seems to really regret not being able to a start a conversation with me.


Once inside the castle, I followed behind father as we headed to where the king is.

I've only seen the inside of a castle on TV, seeing it myself is something else. I'm impressed that such a large place could be kept so cleanly. I couldn't even a find a speck of dust or dirt from any of the decorations and windows.

"We're here" 

While I was admiring the cleanliness of the castle, we finally arrived in front of a wide double door with two guards standing on both sides.

""Sir!""

When they saw father, the two guards saluted him with straightened backs.

“We are entering”

Father gave them a short nod right before immediately opening the door without even knocking.

Doing this would be rude but since the guards that continued saluting didn’t even say anything. I imagine that father's actions is a normal occurrence here.

Timidly following after father, I also entered the room closely behind him.

"...Ah"

Contrary to the tidy corridor outside, the room was so messy. It's to the point that I couldn’t see the floor, due to the amount of books and papers scattered around.

“Yuriel, stay put for the moment”, said father with an irritated voice.

I had the urge to clean this room myself, but as father told me to stay put, I didn't do anything.

I watched as father swiftly moved across the room towards the desk that had piles of books on top of it.

“I believe I specifically told you to never trash this office", father coldly. "Do you know how much trouble it is to find important documents under all these”

Father’s face is obscured from this angle but the calm tone of his voice was colder than his normal one.

“.…Muu? Ah! It’s Simon!”

From the other side of the pile of books, I heard someone answering rather slovenly.

“...Well…Your Majesty?”

“I-I get it! I get it! I’ll tidy up, so stop using〖Intimidation〗on me!"

From what I understand from this conversation, the person behind the pile of books is the king… and for some reason, father has him under his control.

I guess even if you were a king, being subjected by father's icy gaze is still another matter.

For a brief moment, I felt a sense of admiration towards father but at the same time I also felt bad for His Majesty.

After a short moment, I could hear His Majesty saying “〖Organize〗” with reluctance in his voice. It was only a short moment after when the feeling of a slight breeze passed by my feet. The books, papers and other things that were scattered around the room were suddenly floating in the air. It didn't take long for the papers and books to stack up into neat stacks.

“There!”, His Majesty declared boastfully.

When I turned my face towards the desk where he sat, I was met with a man with a very youthful appearance.

His crimson red hair and eyes that were flaming red were showing delight as he looked around with a smug expression on his face.

His appearance was the very image of an energetic youth but from what I remember from Miss Riona classes, he is the same age as father.

Even though father looks like he is in his late 20s, in reality he is already 42 years old. The king on the other-hand looks even younger compared to him. It's as though he is still in his late teens.  

“...I have only been absent for a couple days due to my child's situation and yet you had already managed to make the office into such a mess. Her Grace would be rather disappointed by this”

“D-Don’t tell, Paula. I'm afraid to be scolded by her again”

"That is not my problem, Your Majesty"

The youthful king had the look of despair on his face as he begged for father's mercy.

Does the queen have a tight leash on His Majesty’s neck? Mother seems to also have some power over father...Are the women in this world that strong-willed?

As I was thinking about various things, I heard father sigh before he turned towards me.

“…Let us move this along,  I have brought Yuriel along as you have wished. Please make it quick, as I do not want my child to think that this is how a king should act”

The youthful king finally turns his face towards me. His troubled looked from earlier was now gone, and a bright smile bloomed on his face.

“Ah~ Looks like you are doing well, Yuriel. How are you feeling? Fine I hope?”

He was rather friendly and positive but I can’t seem to help but think of him as someone who would do something stupid if there wasn’t anyone to monitor him.

“Thank you for your concern, Your Majesty. I have recover enough that it is not difficult for me to do menial tasks”, I answered politely.

“That’s good, that’s good… But stop being so formal. You are still a child. If you keep acting like that, you’ll grow up to be a grouch like your dad”

“...”

“Your Majesty…”

The room's temperature dropped at father's words but His Majesty is ignoring him with a smile on his face.

“Well?”, His Majesty urged.

“.…Yes”

“That’s better! Ha Ha ha!”

His Majesty chuckles while father simply sighs in annoyance.

“Well, I have heard that you lost all of your memories. Do you really not recall anything?”

“Yes, but I am trying my best to relearn everything”

I showed a childish smile to him and he continued smiling back in return.

“I see~ I see~ You really have turned into a completely different child from how were before”

“...Your Majesty”

Though Father was already annoyed by His Majesty, his cold tone became even deeper..

“T-That is of course a joke! A joke!~”, His Majesty's shoulders trembled in fear. “A-Anyway, it is good that you are doing better now. When Charlotte learned of what happened, she was devastated”

Charlotte?

Hearing an unfamiliar person’s name, I quickly asked him.

“Huh? Did no one tell you about her?”

“I am sorry. During the last few days, I was preoccupied with relearning everything. I have yet ask about the people that I was previously acquainted with”

“...Simon?”

His Majesty shifts his gaze at father with a troubled smile.

“It is fine if he learns of it by himself. This is a matter about the two of them, is it not?”, father answered.

“W-Well yeah…but are you sure about not wanting to tell him? This is after all related to his-”

“Like I have said, it is best that he learns of it by himself”

“I...I see...”

His expression now changed into a wry smile as he returned his gaze to me.

“Well… I guess to start things off. Charlotte is my youngest daughter…”, as if finding it difficult to continue, His Majesty cut himself off then once again spoke. “You know what!? It's better that you meet with her yourself. That girl should be more than happy to see you as well”

Quickly taking out a bell from a drawer, His Majesty rang it.

“How may I be of service, Your Majesty?”

Immediately after ringing it, a maid appeared from behind us.

Wait! Where did she even come from!? I didn't even notice anyone entering!

“What is Charlotte’s schedule for today?”

Oblivious to my worry, His Majesty asked the maid while still wearing a troubled smile. 

“Princess Charlotte had just finished her sword training and is now resting inside her room. After a short break, up next is etiquette class”

“Very well. Escort Yuriel to her room. Afterwards, cancel everything in her schedule for today. If she has a meeting with another noble child then use my name to send them home. Refrain from letting them know who is meeting”

“Understood”

After the maid bowed, she moved and waited for me at the doorway.

I on the other-hand could only look at father with a troubled expression.

“I will have someone come to pick you up when we are to return home. Go play with princess Charlotte for the moment”

“Try not getting yourself hurt, okay?”, said the king.

Seeing that I couldn’t refuse, I reluctantly followed the maid.

…Wait! What did he mean by try not to get hurt?!

15