Chapter 113 – Interlude: Chief of National Security
1k 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Agent Wilson? The chief is waiting for you.” A young secretary spoke respectfully to the serious-looking man seated in the hall.

“I understand.” Agent Wilson nodded and followed after the secretary.

Currently, he was inside the Ministry of Defense's main building, Whitehall, located in London; to attend a meeting with the chief of National Security.

Alexander Wilson was wearing a formal-looking black suit and a white tie, that, together with his serious-looking face, was supposed to give him an elegant bearing.

Unfortunately, it was ruined by his haggard face, his slightly messy hair and the bags below his eyes; showing the fatigue he had accumulated in the last few days of work.

He was holding a folder in his hand, that contained the information necessary for this meeting; but to be honest, the information was far from enough.

The secretary guided him until a wooden door that she knocked twice. “Chief, Agent Wilson is here.”

“Come in.” An aged voice answered from behind the door.

The secretary nodded and signaled to Wilson to enter.

With a small nod, Alexander Wilson took a deep breath and opened the door.

“Chief.” He said in a respectful tone and saluted to the man seated behind a desk.

It was not the first time that Alexander entered this office, but he could not help but be surprised by it despite it.

The office did not have many decorations, but the few things inside it, combined with the warm color of the walls and the noble style of the chairs and the desk, gave to the place a feeling of elegance and authority.

The man seated behind the desk stared at Alexander briefly and nodded, then, he pointed to a chair and spoke.

“Sit.”

Wilson nodded and let out a breath that he had been holding involuntarily.

The chief of National Security, Edgard Fords, was an old man around fifty years old. He had a square face and lush white hair that was combed elegantly.

Despite his age, his eyes seemed young and filled with vigor, and his voice exuded authority. Alexander could not help but recognize that the man’s bearing was full of authority and might, like someone used to determine the fate of many people.

After all, though the chief of National Security was not the highest position in the Ministry of Defense, it was pretty high on the line.

When Alexander Wilson sat, the chief tapped the desk twice with a finger and spoke gravely.

“How are you, Alexander? I trust that you have gotten results in your task.”

Alexander Wilson gulped a mouthful of saliva and adjusted his mental state, then, he spoke.

“Unfortunately, we have not gotten mayor results despite our investigation. Until now, we have found only two people that have awakened superpowers, but none of them was a participant in the so-called ‘Dimensional Paradise’.”

“Is it so? Then, you don’t have any clue, is it right? I thought that you would have better results after more than one week of work.”

“I’m sorry about it, sir.” Alexander Wilson lowered his head in shame.

To be honest, the lack of results was not completely his fault; after all, superpowers, monsters, and dimensions, were something new to the world, and the information he could use was not much. However, he knew that the chief will not accept that as an excuse.

After all, he did not care about excuses, he only cared about results.

Edgard Fords, the chief of National Security, sighed in disappointment and shook his head. “What about the incident on Westfield Street? Any information about the man that killed the robber?”

Alexander shook his head. “Nothing helpful. We don’t have any information about him, or the reasons behind the attack. In the beginning, we suspected that the person responsible could be one of our targets of observation that was nearby that day, but in the end, we concluded that he was innocent.”

“Oh? Tell me more about it.”

Alexander nodded and opened the folder he brought with him. He passed some pages before reaching a page that contained information about a young man.

The information was very detailed, including his date of birth, his behavior at school, and even an image of his face.

The youth in the image was very handsome, with medium black hair, blue eyes, and a chiseled face. His face was sporting a gentle smile, and his eyes were looking fondly towards the right, as if someone dear to him was there when the picture was taken.

“Aleen Hamill.” Alexander spoke with a serious-looking tone. “18 years old, orphan and living with his stepsister. The police received information from a neighbor that he disappeared for a few hours around two weeks ago. Of course, disappearing for a few hours is something very common, but because someone reported it to the police and there was a small probability that it could be related to 'Dimensional Paradise', we decide to investigate him. Unfortunately, we didn’t find anything wrong.

“The day of the Westfield incident, he accompanied his sister to the mall, and she was near the place where the robber turned mad. We thought that he could have killed the robber to protect his sister, but the cameras showed that he was not nearby when the incident occurred.”

The chief fell deep into thoughts when he heard the information.

After a few seconds, he spoke. “Continue investigating. Besides, pay attention to the youth. Though the cameras show that he was not around, we cannot discard the possibility completely. After all, he might have a superpower that can fool the cameras.”

Alexander Wilson put on an expression of surprise when he heard it.

“Do you mean…”

“I’m not sure, but it’s a possibility that you can’t overlook. After all, we still did not know enough about skills and superpowers.”

Alexander Wilson nodded in understating.

“Another thing.” The chief said with a serious expression. “The government came to a decision about the confidentiality of the recent events.”

“… What do you mean?”

“… They will make public the information about superpowers.” The chief said after a pause.

Alexander widened his eyes in astonishment.

“B-But…”

“I know what you want to say.” The chief sighed helplessly and continued. “But it’s the best course of action. Some information has already been filtered, and people will notice that something is wrong sooner or later; so, it’s better if they learn it through the government. Besides, we can try to control the effects of this information if we spread the news wisely. Many other countries have agreed to this.”

Agent Wilson remained silent for a while when he heard the chief's words.

“… When will the information be made public?”

“The date has not been decided, but it’s in the next few days.”

Alexander could not help but sigh powerlessly. “Are we ready for the changes it will bring?”

“I don’t know.” The chief replied after thinking for a moment. “We can only do our best.”

You can support me on patreon.com/dimensionalparadise and read until the next game ten chapters ahead. I appreciated it very much...

20