Chapter 147 – Interlude: Press Conference
751 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Second chapter today and with it, we are done with the interludes. I think I'll post another chapter later, but I'm not sure...

“Chief, it’s time. The reporters are here.” A secretary entered Edgard Fords’ office to remind him about the press conference. the

“… I understand.” With a sigh of helplessness, Edgard Fords stood up from his chair and tidied his clothes. He then followed the secretary until the press room.

The press room was completely filled. Journalists, reporters, and cameramen were standing with anxious-looking expressions. When they heard that the chief of England National Security Office was going to give a press conference to talk about the recent news about superpowers and monsters, they rushed here without caring about their other assignments.

Currently, the situation about superpowers and monsters was shrouded in fog. Many people were anxiously waiting for answers. They wanted to know if they could continue with their normal lives from now onwards.

And because he knew of their anxiety, Edgard Fords was determined to reveal all most of the non-confidential information to the population.

When he looked at the sea of cameras and reporters, Edgard Fords took a deep breath and opened her mouth.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I’m here today to bring you some not-so-fortunate news.

“Three months ago, all the inhabitants on earth received an announcement about the beginning of a process called manatization. Unable to determine the source of the message, the different governments around the world reached a consensus to suppress the news to not cause public panic and investigated it secretly.

“Actually, we had the hope that the announcement was a joke of a bored hacker, however, recent events had forced us to accept the reality.

“Two months ago, scientists around the world discovered a new kind of energy on earth. This energy is very beneficial to the human body, but also can cause mutations in animals, making them stronger and smarter.

“At the same time, we discovered that humans are able to manipulate this energy and even awaken some kind of superpowers called ‘Skills’. Many scientists thought that this new energy was the key to human evolution.

“We called this energy, ‘Mana’.

“The discovery of this energy caused a commotion throughout the world. We were sure that we were before a new era, and only through taking the adequate measures, we would be able to face it.

“But a bit less than one month ago, we received more bad news. A group of aliens invaded a small island on the South Atlantic Ocean. They called themselves ‘Drans’, and gave us information about the process called manatization.

“Through that information, we learned that many people had been kidnapped around earth from three months ago. They were brought to a place called Dimensional Paradise, where they had to struggle for their lives, and if they were lucky, awaken their superpower.

“As of now, thousands of people had died in that place, and many more continued dying each day. Unfortunately, due to certain reasons, we are unable to rescue them.

“Today, news about berserk animals and superpower-wielding people going crazy are becoming more usual. Each day, more people awaken superpowers and more animals evolve, becoming a threat towards the security of the people.

“But we will not allow such beasts to threaten our kingdom!

“From tomorrow onwards, all the superpower-wielding people must be registered with the government. They will be put under a recently created department called Division of Metahumans and Supernatural Incidents. There, they will be trained to cope against the threats encroaching our nation and advised by specialists to develop their superpowers at the fullest.

“Also, all the students in schools and universities around the country are going to receive one hour of mandatory military training all the mornings, to prepare them against any mishap or if they are kidnapped to Dimensional Paradise.

“As for the remaining people, they also are going to be subjected to training according to their worksite.

“We are in difficult times. However, we know that god and the people of this country will help us to overcome this crisis and reach a better tomorrow.

“Many thanks, and good night.”

With a last nod, the chief of England National Security Office, Edgard Fords, walked away.

Instantly, the press room exploded in noise.

“Mr. Edgard, is it true that the government hid the…

“Is it true that the world will end in ten years? What about the…

“Yesterday, an incident occurred where a man created a ball of flames to burn his wife. What do you…

Tens of people tried to speak at the same time, asking about the many doubts they had. But Edgard ignored them all.

Everything he wanted to say, he had said.

When he left the press conference, he found Alexander Wilson waiting for him.

“Good evening, chief.”

“Agent Wilson.” Edgard returned the greeting. “Do you need anything?”

“… It’s just a doubt.” Alexander spoke after hesitating for a moment. “Why don’t you told them about ten years later.”

Edgard Fords fell silent when he heard that question.

For a moment, he thought about the millions of people inhabiting this country and sighed.

“… I just hope to reduce the chaos even for a bit.”

“… They will learn about it soon or later, chief.”

“I know.” Edgard replied with a tired expression. “But maybe we'll already have a way to avoid it for then."

If you like this story and want to support me, you can do it on patreon.com/dimensionalparadise and read until ten chapters ahead.

13