Chapter 28
535 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"…" Bai Xing hesitantly turned around, "Grey…it's not that I don't like this, but it's hard for me to move…and I need to finish this soon."

Grey, who was hugging his back, looked at Bai Xing, "Mine."

Bai Xing's heart skipped a beat and blushed. He took a deep breath and steeled his heart, "Yes…I'm y-yours, so you don't need to do this. I won't go anywhere."

Grey rested his head on Bai Xing's shoulder, not seeming to have any intention to let go.

"Mine."

"…"

Bai Xing surrendered and continued as it is. He didn't know why, Grey immediately clung to him once they entered the kitchen, not letting go even when he walked around. True, Grey has always been quite clingy, but not to this extent.

He couldn't help but be worried.

Grey was with him since they woke up until now, so he knew that nothing particularly happened to Grey himself. The cause was most likely him.

Did he do something wrong? Or was it something he said? Was it because he pulled his hand away when Grey licked it this morning? But he was too embarrassed, he couldn't help it. Or was it because he told him to stay in his room? Though he eventually followed him, was he hurt by his request?

Once everything was all done, it was just in time that the guests arrived. Grey reluctantly let Bai Xing go before they left.

He knocked on the door before entering. Inside the meeting room, the king, the prince, and the guests have already gathered.

Bai Xing distributed the tea and snacks with Grey's help. They stood at the side of the room once the meeting started.

Listening to them, Bai Xing gradually understood the current situation. The merchants have been changing their routes for the past few weeks, but it resulted the same. 3 out of 5 ships would disappear. They drew each of the routes on the map and it wasn't an exaggeration to say they have tried every method possible.

But the disappearance occurred randomly. When they thought the route was safe, the next ship disappeared. When they thought a route was dangerous, someone else's ship managed to pass through there safely.

The problem was, from all the ships that disappeared, there were no survivors to be found, not even a corpse. That was why they hoped the prince could give them some leads as the only survivor. But the prince only knew there was a storm, and he was unconscious until he was swept ashore.

And so they were stuck in a circle of discussion and ideas, but none seemed good or safe enough to be tried.

Bai Xing leaned to Grey and whispered, "As expected…is it the mermaids doing?"

Grey nodded solemnly.

"Their bodies…are they in the bottom of the sea?" Bai Xing's eyebrows slightly tightened, "What is it trying to do?"

"Sacrificial ritual."

Bai Xing's eyes slightly widened. The first thing that popped into his mind would be the Little Mermaid's transformation into a human. In the original, she asked the sea witch's help, but it costs her tongue.

The virus…is it trying to break away from the plot? Undoubtedly, with her tongue or her voice, the Little Mermaid would have an easier time getting the prince. She could just tell him that she was the one who brought him ashore.

But there was another possibility.

The power source.

In Cinderella and Snow White, both power sources were connected with dead bodies. But what about Aladdin's lamp? Was the genie the only victim? But thinking about it…the power of one genie was equal to countless humans.

Are corpses…or maybe souls needed as a catalyst to make a power source?

In Cinderella, the virus used 4 ordinary people. At Snow White, one person but she has a divine constitution. At Aladdin, one genie. He couldn't tell whether the genie was stronger than the goddess. The latter couldn't seem to grant any wish and couldn't bend the law of the universe, but her title was definitely stronger. Yet, Jaffar wished to be the most powerful being in the world and he became a genie, not a god. If the law of Aladdin's world set the genie as the most powerful being, its position could be equal to a deity in Snow White's world.

If the goddess really was weaker than the genie, that means the required catalysts were getting more and more demanding. This could possibly be because the virus was weakening. Maybe it has something to do with the concealment method M mentioned, or maybe it was a basic requirement.

Either way, in Little Mermaid, the only thing that was worthy enough as a catalyst would be the sea witch. But compared to a genie and a goddess, she was definitely weaker.

But when he arrived here, M already couldn't detect the power source. That means the virus has got enough sacrifice. So why do the ships keep disappearing until now?

Bai Xing stared out the window in thought.

Mermaids.

In legends, mermaids were said to be monsters that lured sailors and preyed upon them.

True, in Little Mermaid they were depicted as beautiful creatures that lived in peace under the sea. But right now, they were corrupted.

The people who disappeared recently should be the same as those people who fell victim to the mist.

Now, the most important question.

What item did the virus use as a power source?

The only thing he could think of was the Little Mermaid's voice. But it was a part of Little Mermaid's body. Could the virus use it as a power source?

"Grey, have you ever met a sea witch?"

"No, but I knew of her existence," Grey paused for a moment, "Though I cannot feel her presence since last month."

"Her…presence?" Bai Xing looked at him in question.

Grey nodded, "I can sense everything within and around the sea. That's how I hear you call my name."

"…" Bai Xing processed Grey's words and hesitantly asked, "Why do you have that kind of power…?"

Grey stared at Bai Xing, "Kiss."

"???"

Bai Xing soon understood.

Kiss me here and I'll tell you.

Bai Xing sheepishly looked away. There was no way he could do that. Not in front of this many people. Besides, he promised the prince to not cause any trouble.

"…"

Grey was dissatisfied with Bai Xing's choice.

Bai Xing jolted when his ass was suddenly squeezed. He tightly sealed his lips to not let any strange sound slip out and gripped Grey's evil hand. He used his eyes signaling Grey to stop.

Grey narrowed his eyes, "Kiss me."

"Now is…i-impossible."

Then, he heard the king finally speak up after rounds of discussions that were going nowhere.

"How about we stop here for now? We should contact our ally countries to further discuss this matter at a later date. There is a chance they have some information that we are not aware of. The port city of W country should have many news and information regarding this matter. Even rumors can be useful at this point."

The guests looked at each other and nodded in agreement. Bai Xing inwardly thanked the king for the perfect timing. He had a feeling that Grey was about to kiss him right then and there.

As they left one by one, the merchants' representative approached Bai Xing.

"May I ask who was the one that made the snacks we ate earlier? Can you bring me to meet them?"

"Those…are made by me, Madam. I-Is there any problem with it?" Bai Xing nervously asked.

He didn't mistake the salt and sugar again, did he? Or was it half-baked? Or overcooked? He wasn't fully focused on the latter half of making it since he was worried about Grey.

The merchant waved her hand, "Fufufu, no. It was very delicious. On the contrary, I was thinking if I could buy the recipe from whoever made it. I have a cafe chain you see, and that snack can match the drinks we serve there."

"O-Oh…Thank you very much…" Bai Xing didn't expect to be praised out of the blue and felt a bit shy, "I don't mind selling you the recipe, but I don't have any written form of it."

"Then, how about we do the transaction at our second meeting later? Will that be alright?"

Bai Xing nodded.

"If you have similar recipes, please do not hesitate to tell me. I will buy it at a fair price." The merchant offered her hand.

Bai Xing stretched out his hand to shake it, but it was suddenly grabbed by Grey in an iron grip. Bai Xing and the merchant looked up at Grey and both flinched from the scare.

Grey coldly glared at the merchant. His eyes were glowering dangerously, "He's mine. Don't touch him."

The prince who was watching, "!!!"

Bai Xing, "!!!"

"Fufufu…Oh my~" the merchant took back her hand. She smiled meaningfully and leaned to Grey slightly, "I also run a 'toy' shop you see. I will give you discounts as an apology, fierce gentleman."

The merchant giggled giddily as she left.

Bai Xing, "…"

Thank god she's a rotten woman.

26