Chapter 26 Dubious decisions and delightful dialogue
2.3k 14 134
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azalea PoV

I’d been a little too preoccupied with watching the dragon, so I hadn’t noticed that it was destroying the town that we’d been heading to. First, West End, and now this place, Edencrack? 

“First, West End, and now Eidencrag,” Raya said, mimicking what was on my mind. She sounded upset, not that I could blame her. At this rate, I’d never get to see a non-destroyed town. Plus, it’s awful what’s happening to all of these people. 

“Should we go and see if we can help?” I asked the group eagerly. I wanted to see the dragon up close, and maybe we could help defeat it as well. Everyone else looked a bit hesitant, well, all but Ryel. She was looking as excited as I felt. 

“Come on!” I shouted excitedly, deciding just to prompt them into action anyways as I started flying towards the town and the mean dragon. 

I heard several people shout out and I ignored them as I moved off. 

Callie and Raya yelled at the same time. “Azalea!” 

“Wait for me!” 

“Ryel. No, stay here. Azalea, wait!” Kelcie shouted, grabbing her young charge. 

I flew fairly close to the ground as the dragon might see me if I’m flying too high up. I accelerated as fast as I could, dirt and debris started kicking up behind me as I sped towards the burning town. Or was it a city? I guess it depended upon how many people lived in it, I supposed. Focus! I shook my head to clear it of any odd thoughts. I had to concentrate on what I was doing. 

Glancing back briefly, I could see that Kelcie, Callie, Raya, and Olivor had started following me. Although they were a good distance away already. I changed my angle to get some extra height. 

“Hey, what the…?” I heard someone shout as I flew up and over the wall, shooting past several soldiers who were cowering behind the parapets, and into town. 

I could see the red and black dragon swinging around for another attack, and turned to head it off. My wings buzzed loudly and my heart beat wildly as I accelerated hard again. I wanted to try and catch the overgrown lizard before it could do another pass. 

The dragon opened its mouth, and I could see what looked like red flames gathering in the back of its throat. It was completely ignoring me, too, rude. 

“Hey, ugly!” I shouted and fired several [Telekinetic Pulse]’s at its face. Which splashed harmlessly off of its scales on its snout. The beast looked at me and roared, turning to fly in my direction. I used [Inspect] on it and pouted. 

Venia A Ruul

Power Level: ????

Class: ???

Warning: Dragon

Now I knew how Callie felt when she saw me for the first time. I flew straight up as the dragon roared and reddish yellow flames poured out of its mouth. 

I giggled and shot a few more pulses at its eyes. “Too slow!” I shouted, firing a [Psychic Slash] this time. To my surprise ‘Venia’ flinched, growling in what I assumed was more surprise than actual pain. 

My heart stilled as, with a strong flap of its wings and a surprising burst of speed, the dragon was suddenly right in front of me. Its mouth opened wide, claws outstretched, as it grasped for me. 

Attempting to fly up and over the dragon, I narrowly avoided tooth and claw snapping at me. I’d almost cleared its back as well when a powerful gust of air, displaced by the dragon's wake, sent me tumbling, just missing its tail as I passed it. 

“Ha, missed me, slow poke!” I gloated after I had reorientated myself. 

“You annoying little insect!” it roared at me, thrashing its tail in agitation as it banked back around at me, the town seemingly forgotten for now. Or should I say she? The voice was deep and rumbly, yes, but it somehow felt feminine. Like a girl talking into using a voice modulator or something. 

“Oh, you can talk?!” I squeaked in my amazement. 

“Of course I can talk, fool.”

“Well, that’s just rude!” I replied, holding my fists on my hips as I glared at her. 

“I can talk however I want to, to food,” she growled smugly, before she pulled out of her turn, flying straight at me once more. 

I frowned at her. “That’s just silly, I’d barely be a chicken nugget to you!” Avoiding her mouth and claws again, I fired another slash directly at her face. This time, she barely flinched, obviously having expected it. 

As I dodged her again, Venia twirled as she passed underneath, one large wing slamming into me. The thick leathery wing almost wrapped itself around me before I got flung with incredible force straight at the ground. “Ahhhhh!” I screamed out as I tumbled through the air once again. 

My wings buzzed as fast as they could to stop my momentum and to right myself once more. 

“Ha! Superhero landing.” My heart was pounding from equal parts excitement and fear as I found myself kneeling on one knee with my hands out my sides on the ground, having just come to a stop. 

“Wha… who?”

“When? Why?” I grinned at the surprised male nekokin staring at me from a smashed shop window. From the look of all the junk in his hands, it seemed like he’d been engaging in some five finger discount shopping. 

I wagged a single finger at him. "Naughty, naughty,” I smirked before launching back into the sky, a small puff of dust the only indication I had ever been there. 

The dragon roared and a large dust cloud billowed up, a large building pulverised as she landed on top of it. Flames then spread out everywhere as Venia breathed fire over the debris. 

I coughed and blinked as I hit the smoke cloud, activating my shield to try to help me breathe. 

“Rude! We were having a conversation.” I flew in front of Venia briefly, firing pulses and slashes at her face, before circling and firing from above her this time. The big red lizard roared and attempted to swat at me with her tail. I giggled as I nimbly dodged it. 

The dragon roared again and shook her head as a cloud of whitish smoke puffed up over her face. 

“Get away from my friend, you big meanie!” 

My blood went cold as I saw Ryel standing in front of the dragon, several of her smoke bombs in her hand. Glaring at Venia defiantly, a terrified, but determined, look on her face. 

“Ryel, no!” I yelled in fear, “Get away!”

Venia bellowed as Ryel threw another smoke bomb at her then breathed in and let out another roar, this time accompanied by her reddish yellow flames. 

I heard someone else shouting, “Ryel!” as I rushed in to intercept the flames. I just hoped this worked. 

Pulling out my potions, I took a deep swallow of both quickly before dropping the emptying vials. 

“Shield!” I shouted as I cast [Fairy Magic], specifically attempting to reinforce my own shield. 

My whole world went red and I screamed in pain as I managed to divert the flames around Ryel and myself. Sweat dripped off me in what felt like a waterfall, the heat immense. I even felt myself being pushed back from the force of the breath attack. 

After what felt like hours, but was only moments, the flame spluttered out and I let out a relieved sigh as blessed cool air rushed in. My HUD was flashing red as I heard the dragon speak up. 

“Hmmm, you surprise me, little fairy. Perhaps I won’t eat you, after all. The Lord of this city appears to be absent, as I feared,” Venia growled, somehow looking annoyed. “I shall take my leave for now. All of these scurrying vermin have been reminded of their place,” She lifted her wings up, preparing to lift off, “Oh, and I would suggest that you keep your pets on a tighter leash, lest they be eaten by a dragon.” 

Just as the dragon took off with a strong gust of wind, with dust, smoke, and debris scattering everywhere, Kelcie, Callie and Raya arrived, Kelcie immediately pulling Ryel into a hug. Looking over at me, Kelcie’s eyes softened a little as she noticed that I was alright, before she turned to Ryel in her arms. 

“Gods, I was so worried! What were you thinking?” Kelcie asked, her voice laced with annoyance as much as worry. 

“I had to help save Azalea,” Ryel mumbled into Kelcie’s hug. 

Glancing back to where I had been, I could no longer see the dragon anywhere. It was then that I noticed that there were several notifications in my hud, but they could wait for later, looking instead at Callie and Raya as they moved up to stand near me. 

“Hey!” I shouted in surprise, as Raya grabbed me bodily and looked me over. She then let me go with a sigh of relief. Suddenly green light encased me, and I felt a lot better as Raya healed me. 

“You’re okay, I’m glad. That was reckless! What were you thinking?” 

Before I could answer, a group of soldiers and what I could only assume were adventurers rushed into the brand new square. Most of them seemed to be humans. Thankfully most of the flames had died out by then. There didn’t seem to be much left for them to burn. 

“Halt! State who you are, and what she is,” a fancier looking soldier shouted at us, pointing at me at the end of his command. 

I rolled my eyes. “I’m Azalea, these are my friends,” I said, pointing at each person as I named them, “Kelcie, Ryel, Callie and Raya, and I’m a fairy.” The ‘duh’ at the end of my sentence was, of course, heavily implied. 

One of the ones that didn’t look like a soldier, an adventurer I’m assuming, snorted. “Yeah, right, and I’m a meat popsicle.” 

I squinted at him and shook my head. “Sorry. You’re too ugly to be Bruce Willis,” I giggled, “What do you think I am then? Dummy,” I finished, rolling my eyes. 

“Why, you little…” 

Lots of shouting ensued as the not Bruce Willis adventurer tried to reach for me but Callie stood in his way, while several of his friends pulled him back. I poked my tongue out at him. 

“Azalea,” Kelcie muttered from behind me, “don’t antagonise them, please.”

I glanced at her guiltily. " Sorry,” I mouthed. Ryel was trying not to giggle, but she wasn’t doing a very good job. 

“Why don’t you just inspect me?” I asked, crossing my arms and sighing theatrically. 

“Who’s Bruce Willis?” Ryel tried to chime in, but she was ignored in favour of the current conversation. 

“It’s considered rude, Azalea. I could’ve sworn we’ve had this conversation before,” Callie responded, briefly glancing back at me, before turning back to face the newcomers. 

I shook my head. “Ruder than pointing at someone and asking them what they are?”

Callie chuckled. “Good point.”

The fancy soldier man had at least the good graces to look a little chagrined at his behaviour. I used [Inspect] on him. I just wouldn’t tell him. 

Guard Captain Benjy Ronan 

Level 102 Knight (Uncommon)

“I, uh, apologise, miss Azalea?-” Benjy began. 

“That’s me,” I replied with a bright smile. 

He continued with only the briefest of pauses and a short nod at my answer -“Azalea, emotions have been running quite high since the dragon appeared, and I seemed to have lost my common sense. Would a fair maiden like yourself have it in her heart to forgive me?” At the conclusion of his speech, the guard captain gave me a short bow. 

I felt my cheeks warm slightly at his slightly flowery language, but I nodded my headto him as he straightened. “You’re forgiven, Guard Captain- Benjy Ronan,” I replied with a cheeky smile. 

The man laughed and gave me a wry grin while shaking his head. “I suppose I deserved that one,” he chuckled. 

“Sir,” one of the other soldiers interrupted, “We have plenty of other things to deal with, now that the dragon is gone.”

In the distance I could hear the crackle of flames and people shouting to each other while we stood there talking. 

Benjy frowned, before sighing. “You’re right. We’ve got to organise the mages to help put the remaining fires out, that’s a top priority.” 

One of the adventurers spoke up, shaking her head too, “Let’s hope some of the mages have mana left, most of them used all theirs up. Either attacking the dragon, or attempting to defend their area from it.” I inspected her too. 

Elry Flint 

Level 47 Arcane Archer (Uncommon)

Elry continued after a moment of silence between us all. “This attack didn’t seem like a typical dragon attack to me.”

The not Bruce Willis adventurer snorted again. "It was a dragon, it breathed fire and flew around destroying things. How is that not typical?”

Elry shook her head. “Considering how destructive a full dragon can be? This is relatively mild in comparison to that.”

“That’s because she didn’t want to destroy the entire city,” I replied. 

Everyone froze and looked at me with surprise. 

“What?” I asked as I looked around at everyone. 

Benjy looked thoughtful as he asked, “How do you know this?”

“Venia told me,” I said, like it was obvious. “Well…not in so many words, but yeah. She was looking for the Lord of the city apparently, and wanted to scare everyone ‘back into their place’ as she put it.”

“Venia, was the dragon’s name?” Benjy asked, before continuing as I nodded. “It’s not a dragon name that I recognise, not that I’d know them all. I do know that Lord Edgewood likes to hunt for dragons and their lairs,” he muttered, rubbing his hands on his face and sighing. 

The guard captain bowed slightly- I could get used to humans bowing to me, I grinned a little at that thought. "Thank you, Azalea. You’ve given us some good information on the dragon and her motives. And thank you even more for helping drive her away. On behalf of the city and her guard, we appreciate the assistance.” 

I curtsied slightly as I hovered near his head. "You’re welcome, it was easy peasy!” I smiled happily at him. 

“Easy peasy…” Kelcie repeated, her tone flat and emotionless

Uh oh. I recognised that tone of voice from the countless times I had angered my mother. 

“It was… easy peasy? You could’ve gotten yourself killed! Your recklessness nearly got Ryel killed! And then you along with it, saving her-” Kelcie yelled, pointing at Ryel, before grabbing me gently and pulling me closer to her- “I care too much about you to see you get yourself hurt, Azalea. Please, just be more careful, okay?” Her voice was almost cracking from some indecipherable emotion, her eyes pleading with me. 

Kelcie seemed to realise what she’d said and done, hastily letting me go as if she’d been zapped, her face crimson from her furious blush. Not that I was any better, I was blushing just as much as the magical girl was. 

“Kelcie’s right, Azalea,” Callie said, stepping a little closer, and talking quietly so our audience couldn’t hear us as easily. 

Raya was holding Callie’s hand, her tail wrapped around their wrists as she spoke up, “They’re right, we all care about you-” she had a soft smile on her face as she looked between Kelcie and I- “perhaps some more than others, and we don’t want to see you get hurt.” 

I looked down at my feet, in embarrassment as much as shame, and noticed the scorch marks and soot that covered most of my body. It was a miracle that I even survived, it seemed, if the state of my clothes were any indication. My low health and mana had testified to that as well. 

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled quietly, struggling to look all of my friends in the eye. Apologising had never been something I was good at. “I didn’t mean to make you all worry.”

Kelcie still had a pink tinge to her cheeks as she looked at me worriedly. Somehow, it reminded me of when she came out of the damaged building at West End. She had been blushing slightly with a worried look in her eyes as she was trying to work out if I had seen her transformation or not. 

“Well, we’ll be off. Much to do, I assume that we can contact you via the adventurer’s association?” Benjy asked. Callie walked over to answer him with Raya following her. Ryel wandered off to poke at some small partially burning wooden debris. 

"So, umm, now that we’re alone, Kelcie... do you not like..." I squirmed and grunted in frustration. "Your body, it's..." I groaned, feeling myself blushing from embarrassment. Why was this suddenly so hard to ask? "Are you trans?"

“Huh? Is this an Otherworlder thing?” Kelcie asked, confused, her blush becoming more prominent. 

I froze in place. “What?”

 I hope you’ve enjoyed the chapter! And the story as a whole so far, let me know what you’re liking the most in comments :) or join me in discord. 

https://discord.gg/D3kVZgTJ23

If you would like to read the chapters earlier, I also have a patreon set up where I am several chapters ahead. As always, thanks for reading, your support and encouragement is always appreciated :) 

134