Chapter 36 Prelude to invasion
1.3k 9 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azalea PoV 

The walk back was fairly uneventful, barring a few loose undead that were wandering around aimlessly. Now that the Lich was properly dead, they’d lost their purpose and any semblance of intelligence. I say walk back, but I stayed on Kelcie’s shoulder the entire time, nuzzled into her cheek, to keep her calm and show her my support. 

“I can’t believe she’s dead…” Kelcie mumbled for probably the fiftieth time since she ended her undead mum's life… unlife? Whatever, the piece of work wasn’t animated anymore. 

I patted Kelcie’s cheek, nuzzling her neck. “I’m sorry, hun, do you have any idea how this could’ve happened? Where did your family live?”

Kelcie sighed. “We had an estate up in Demon's Pass. My family, plus a dozen other families wanted to make a life for ourselves when they announced the plans to settle there. We were warned that it was dangerous, since you’ve got the undead to the north and the demons to the west with very few defences from either.” Kelcie paused, frowning for a second. “Although it was unlikely we’d see demons considering you have the Green Sea between their land and ours, and thankfully we never did. Also, there was a contingent of adventurers always around to clear the occasional undead that wandered in. 

“Is that because demons are dangerous? We faced that demon, Ball, or something? I don’t know, Callie and Raya destroyed it together, then kissed afterwards.” I felt myself blush as I dreamily remembered how cute it was. “It had possessed Callie, forcing Raya to fight her absolute hardest to save her.” I sighed, still thinking about their kiss. 

Kelcie giggled, reaching up to brush a thumb over my cheek fondly, which I grabbed and hugged, causing the magical girl to blush and giggle some more. 

I let go of her thumb before leaning against the side of her neck again. “So what’s the Green Sea? Is it exactly what it sounds like?”

A look of thoughtful concentration appeared on Kelcie’s face. “It’s actually large open grassy plains where dozens of tribes of various races live. Orcs, nekokin, lupus, goblins, gnomes and plenty of others. There’s even a few human tribes. Ryel told me that her orc family lives out that way. I’ve been thinking of visiting them one day, since they’re the only family she has left.”

“Other than us,” I pointed out. 

With a smile and a nod, Kelcie repeated. “Other than us.” 

Suddenly Kelcie’s smile fell as several of the other members who had been a part of the distraction team walked past, one of them looking at her with distrust. Thankfully the others ignored us, but they also ignored their teammate’s behaviour too. 

The adventurer looked away quickly and began walking faster as I glared at him. It seemed that my actions in fighting the banshee had made them nervous around me. I hoped it would keep them from bothering Kelcie, but it was a hope I didn’t have much faith in, unfortunately. 

Patting Kelcie’s cheek gently, I turned to look at her and sighed. “Don’t worry about them, there’s always someone like that… gits.”

Before my girlfriend could reply, Ryel skipped up to us and clung to Kelcie’s side, looking more serious than usual. 

"Honey, what's wrong?" Kelcie asked as she gave Ryel's head a comforting pat.

"Umm, well..." Ryel looked up at Kelcie with a worried expression, one hand nervously fidgeting with her belt. "Will you still like me if…”

Kelcie stopped to look at the young half-orc. “If what?” she asked nervously. 

Ryel looked down at her feet, before she looked back up at Kelcie, briefly glancing at me first. “If… is it okay that I don’t like girls like you do?” 

With a happy sigh, Kelcie pulled Ryel into a hug. “Of course, sweetie. You can like whoever you like!” I could hear relief in her voice as I flew down and hugged the pair. 

“Technically, I don’t like girls either,” I said as I settled on Ryel’s shoulder. “I just like Kelcie, she’s the only girl, the only person that I’ve ever felt anything for before,” I finished with a shrug. I had realised just after I started talking that Kelcie might have taken it the wrong way if I hadn’t said anything more. 

Ryel turned to look at me. “What do you mean you don’t like girls? You like Kelcie, and she’s a girl!”

The smile that Kelcie had on her face as she listened to Ryel defend her warmed my heart. “You’re right, but I’m not attracted to anyone else like I am to Kelcie. I barely recognise whether or not they’re supposed to be attractive.”

“That’s a thing?” Ryel asked, her eyes growing wide in surprise. I noticed Kelcie looked surprised as well. 

I shrugged, trying not to smile at their identical expressions of surprised interest. “Apparently! I’ve always been like this, even before, back on Ear– back when I was younger…” 

A sly grin showed on the half-orc’s face. “Back on your old world, Earth, right? Is that what you were going to say?”

I gawked at Ryel as she giggled, and noticed Kelcie held a hand over her mouth to hide her laughter. “How did you know about that?” 

With a shrug that made me have to cling onto her shoulder tighter or risk falling off, Ryel smirked at me. “Because you weren't very subtle whenever you talked to Kelcie about it. Neither of you are very good at keeping secrets.” 

Kelcie’s expression instantly fell from a smile to looking aghast. “Wh-what do you mean?”

Ryel hugged Kelcie again. “I’ve known about your transformations since the first time we hid in the basement,” she whispered softly. 

Stiffening up in the hug, Kelcie pulled her head back enough to look into Ryel’s eyes. “And you didn’t say anything? Why?”

“Because it never mattered. You’re Kelcie, my big sister,” Ryel said with a small shrug and a smile. 

Kelcie beamed at the little half-orc. “It doesn’t bother you?” She asked cautiously. 

Frowning, Ryel shook her head. “No, why should it? I like being a girl, I can understand why you would want to be one too!”

I shook my head as the two hugged some more. “And you were worried Kelcie would think less of you for being straight,” I muttered quietly, discreetly rubbing a tear out of my eye as I used [Enlarge] and joined their hug properly. 

After a minute or so, Kelcie took a step back, a big grin on her face. “So, I’ve been wondering when the best time to do this was, and I’ve decided now is the perfect moment. Earlier, right after the dungeon was closed, my transformation ability finally hit rank 10, and it gave me the ability to make it permanent if I wanted to.”

“So, no more sneaking off to reapply it and having Azalea cover by causing some kind of mischief?” Ryel said, with a smirk at us both. 

I faux-glared at her. “You’re much too observant for your own good, young lady, wait… permanent? Yay!” I couldn’t help cheering and grinning like an idiot at the euphoric look on Kelcie’s face as she nodded, her eyes getting that far away look that people get while using their interface. Moments later, Kelcie stood up straighter, looking about a million times freer and about a billion times more beautiful, her smile was almost divine. For that moment in time, I could well imagine her as a goddess. 

***

“You and Kelcie are perfect for each other. It’s anyone’s guess why she doesn’t have Power Levels like a monster like you do,” McLaggen taunted with a smirk on his stupid dumb face. He was the last person that we’d wanted to see, and yet, somehow, he’d made it his business to come and have a ‘talk’ with us. No guesses as to how that was going.

Molten fury coursed through my veins and my heart pounded in my chest as I glared murderously at McLaggen. A heartbeat later, as my vision goes red from rage, something flashes in my HUD, but I’m too angry to let it distract me. In a display of raw power, my body emitting bright purple light, I flashed forward, accompanied by a shockwave that exploded all around me. 

I slammed into the douchebag with a thunderous boom that echoed across the clearing, an evil git who dared to try and hurt Kelcie, sending him and all of his party flying backwards several feet, dirt kicked up as they gouged holes into the soil where they landed. My HUD was flashing red with dire warnings as my health and mana plummeted to almost nothing instantly. My sheer hatred for the man I’m still glaring at being the only thing that was keeping me from passing out. 

The ringing in my ears and pounding of my heart was the only sound I heard as the echo from the attack faded. Slowly, with much grumbling and cursing, McLaggen climbs to his feet, followed shortly by his party members. 

Wiping his mouth, McLaggen spat out some blood before smirking. “Is that all you’ve got, little fairy?”

I rolled my eyes before smirking as well. “I’m half your level and seriously hurt you; I can see your health, so don’t try to lie. I warned you before you started on Kelcie to leave her alone, or you’d have to deal with me.”

McLaggen had just pulled his battleaxe from where it was hanging from his back when the shimmering light of a blue magical shield appeared in between his group and mine. 

Tyral strode into the confrontation, looking furiously at everyone involved. “That’s enough! We’re here to fight the undead threat, not each other. McLaggen, I’ve watched you for a number of days now, and I’ve found your behaviour unbecoming of an expedition member under my command. You ignored my warnings and so I have no choice but with a great deal of pleasure, Greag McLaggen, you are hereby officially removed from the expedition and any and all rewards that you haven’t earned yet.”

I watched as McLaggen looked shocked at Tyral. “What! You can’t do this!” 

Her face cold and hard, Tyral looked the man in the eyes. “I can, and did. Now, get out. I don’t wish to see you any further.”

McLaggen looked like he wanted to argue as he opened his mouth, then seeing the way that Tyral glared at him, thought better of it, and he closed his mouth with a snap. Throwing me and my party a murderous glare, McLaggen turned around with a huff and walked away, his party reluctantly following him after he gestured to them. 

“Now, no one else better have any issues with Kelcie. I vouch for her, and if anyone hassles her, consider yourselves removed from the expedition and your rewards forfeited too,” Tyral growled out, making eye contact with everyone who had been silently watching. I noticed Thomar looked annoyed, but didn’t say anything, so I ignored him. I could be the bigger fairy. 

I nodded my grateful thanks to Raya as I felt her healing magic wash over me. 

Watching McLaggen walk away, I knew things weren’t over between us. I just hoped that our party would be high enough to deal with him by then, after all, they were all double our level right now. 

Given a moment of reprieve, I decided I’d check out whatever notification my interface was flashing to get my attention. 

Ding!

Congratulations! You have unlocked the special ability, [Familiar’s Fury]

Ding!

Congratulations! [Familiar’s Fury] has evolved due to [Fairy Magic] and has unlocked the hidden racial ability, [Fury Of A Fairy]

[Fury of a Fairy] (Self Cast) Rank 1

In times long past, many sought to destroy the fairies from within their forest home, none succeeded. The four consecutive invasions of the old human empire, the Dragon Slaughter and most recently the Demon Invasion, all met their end by provoking the fury of the fairies. Mana regeneration inhibited by 100%, while damage increased by 50%, and speed by 100%. Constant mana upkeep required. 

My eyes widened as I read the ability description, it provided a history lesson and an incredible, if dangerous, ability. I couldn’t wait to try it again!

McLaggen’s cursing drew my attention to his group as they disappeared into the ruins of West End. Looking away from where the group of bigots vanished, I watched as Tyral walked over to Kelcie and placed a hand on her shoulder, and gave her a gentle smile. “Are you alright, Kelcie?”

“I’m okay now, thanks, Tyral,” Kelcie replied with a small smile and nod. 

Tyral nodded once, before glancing over at me. “Azalea, please be careful about starting fights with people, especially people who outnumber and out level you. Now, we should all try to relax, we’ve got a hard fight ahead of us with the horde on its way. I’ve sent a request for help from Prince Enoc, of Skarra.”

It was then that I noticed that only Callie had seemed to react negatively to that revelation, her face going white. Tyral stopped talking to give her a sympathetic look as Raya grabbed her girlfriend’s hand and squeezed it gently, murmuring something softly to her. 

“It could take upwards of a week for the prince and his Wing Command to arrive. We just have to hold out until then. Now, I would suggest that–”

Suddenly a young man ran into view, running so incredibly fast that he was nearly a blur as he crossed the clearing, only stopping when he was right in front of Tyral. “Battlemage! A vanguard of Death Knights and Wyrms have been reported by our leading scouts. They’ll be at the first checkpoint by nightfall.”

Tyral’s face fell for a moment and she cursed, before a steely glint could be seen in her eyes. “Very well,” she responded with a sigh, “it would seem that we have even less time than I had expected.” She stopped and looked at everyone individually with a serious expression.

Taking a deep, Tyral continued, “Now’s the chance for anyone to change their minds. I won’t sugar coat it. This is going to be hard. For everyone. The vanguard is just the beginning and already it’s an almost overwhelming force. We won’t be able to collectively stop this horde, but we can, we must, slow it down long enough for help to arrive. I won’t hold it against anyone if you decide to turn back and leave now.

“It’s taking every ounce of my will to hold back my desire to run as far and as fast as I can, but I won’t leave. Countless lives are counting on us to hold fast, to step up and do what must be done, not because it’s our job, but because it’s the right thing to do. I don’t ask of you anything more than what I ask myself, so… WHO’S WITH ME?

As a cheer echoed around the clearing from the expedition adventurers, a flock of birds scattered from a nearby tree, the noise that we were making disturbing their rest. It would seem that come nightfall, the battle for Demon’s Pass would truly begin. 

81