Chapter 4: Hope
104 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gina, in a pair of comfy blue scrubs, checked Mrs. Harrison's vitals. "You're a demon then?" The old woman asked her. 

It was an odd sensation, but for the first time, she didn't have to hide it. "Yes, mam." 

Mrs. Harrison was eyeing her up and down. "Where are the horns and wings?" 

Gina snorted before she could stop herself. She let her horns and tail show. Mrs. Harrison gasped but made no other move. "No wings?" 

Gina shook her head. "No mam. Only a handful of demons have wings. Most Devils have wings." 

"There's a difference?" The old woman asked. 

"Yes. A very large difference. I suppose you could say it's like the difference between a wolf and a dog." She explained. 

"What would Lady Lilith be then?" 

"Lady Lilith is a Devil miss." 

"Do you believe what she said that man and supernatural can coexist?" She asked Gina. 

Gina set her clipboard down and sat on the bed giving Mrs. Harrison her full attention. "Yes, I do. I've lived a very long time. I might not look it but I'm older than you. In my entire existence, I never saw one reason either of our kind couldn't live together. I hope and want to see the future she talks about." 

"Now the question is do you believe it?" Gina asked her. 

Mrs. Harrison shrugged. "I honestly don't know. But I'm willing to give it the old college try. Not that an old bat like me can do much anyway." 

Gina smiled and picked up her clipboard. "Well for an old bat your very healthy. Just a little dehydrated. I'm going to get you some water and we'll call your son to get you." 

Gina went and poured her some water then called her son to come and pick her up. He arrived a short time later and took his elderly mother home. 

'It must be nice to have a family like that.' Gina mused. 

After her little family managed to escape the Templars word reached them about Lilith and the community of supernaturals and humans she was establishing. At first, it sounded too good to be true. But she and her group kept running into people that were migrating to the town of Canterberry. They took a vote and the majority voted to see the town for themselves. When they arrived they quickly found that everything they heard was true. Better yet no one had to hide. Gina and the other adults found work and there were even places where Gina could go to find willing men who would sleep with her. It was a dream. Her group found and was now renting another group home. 

When Gina's shift ended she stopped by the grocery store on her way home. In the store, she noticed an elven couple in the produce aisle, a vampire was picking up cows' blood from the meat market in the store, and she even saw some fairies comparing dried goods. Never had she seen so many supernaturals in one place. 

They were a community. It was happening. The unity of the different races. Many minds but one heart. The great Archimedes one of the Dukes of hell said that if a time came when all could be united in a single purpose nothing could shatter them. Gina believed that time was now and she'd do anything to see a future where she and if she was lucky her children didn't have to hide. 

When she walked through the front door of the house a dainty blonde with vibrant green eyes enveloped her in a hug and pressed a kiss to her lips. Cassy was her oldest friend and roommate. They'd known each other for centuries. They were friends. confidants, lovers, and maybe even soul mates. Gina wrapped her arms around her waist and returned the kiss. 

Cassy was smiling when their lips finally parted. "Welcome home." 

"It's good to be home," Gina replied. "Where's everyone else?" 

Cassy pulled her into the kitchen as she spoke. "At work. Since we don't have to hide anymore everyone has a job. I decided to be the designated babysitter. All the little ones are watching movies upstairs." 

Gina ran her hands over Cassy's hips, up the flat expanse of her stomach, and stopped when she caressed the globes of her perky breasts. "That means we're alone." 

Cassy let out a sultry laugh. "Not yet we have to make dinner." She removed Gina's hands reluctantly. There would be time for that later. "Come on help me cook." 

Gina chuckled and helped Cassy unpack the groceries. Gina told her about everything that she saw today. About Mrs. Harrison's questions, and the supernaturals in the grocery store. Cassy listen with wonder and glee then a forlorn expression darkened her expression. "I wonder how long it will all last." 

"What do you mean?" Gina asked her. 

"The Triunity won't stand for it. I'm surprised Templars and Paladins aren't already swarming the streets." Cassy admitted. 

"I heard something about that. The other Supernatural races have been running interference. Turns out we have more supporters than we thought. Eventually, the Templars and Paladins will come but by then it'll be too late. I heard Lilith has something big planned. A way to protect the town as it expands. To keep out the Trinity and anyone else who means us harm." 

Cassy looked hopeful. "You really think she has a plan?" 

"I know she does. Rest easy Cass everything is going to be alright." 

The cooked burgers for dinner tonight. The kids came scampering down the stairs when they smelled the cooking meat. Everyone had to prep their own buns and pour their own drinks but when the meat was ready they lined up to receive their burgers. They took their seat at the table and chatted excitedly to each other as they ate their dinner. 

Shortly after the parents started getting home and in a matter of minutes, the kitchen was full of adults and children laughing and chatting about their day. The love and hope on their faces almost brought Gina to tears. Cassy wrapped her arms around Gina's waist and watched their family. Gina supposed she didn't have much to be envious of. Mrs. Harrison had her family and Gina had hers. She supposed she was lucky to still have them all with her. She supposed she was doubly lucky that they now had a safe place where they could live, love, and laugh without a care in the world. 

3