Chapter 6 Conclave
133 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cathedral Of Authority

Nation of Light

City of Autoria

 

The mid-day bells tolled as Cardinal Silas Marques crossed the cobblestone pathway. He dabbed at the sweat that seemed to pour profusely from his forehead. He had been enjoying lunch in his office when an attendant informed him that a Conclave had been called. A conclave was a gathering of the faith's upper echelon. Even his holiness the pope would be in attendance. The last time a Conclave was called was a few hundred years ago. Hence why Marques was sweating. He didn't have a strong constitution. He hated conflict. That's why even though he was a Cardinal Marques was little more than head clerk for the faith. 

He sighed and quickened his pace. He'd hate to think what would happen to him if he was late. He was relieved to see other Cardinals converging on the Exalted Basilica de Eternia. The large bronze doors decorated with angels and saints were wide open. Inside we could already see that a fair number of the papal aristocracy and nobility were assembled within. 

As he walked into the Basilica he saw everyone had already segregated themselves. The Bishops in their black robes with white sashes tied about their waists were muttering amongst themselves. Priests in their white robes with black sashes were gossiping about the latest scandal in the city. Marques joined the Cardinals in their purple robes with golden sashes. The Cardinals were speculating on the reason for the conclave. 

"Perhaps his holiness is finally going to finally launch a crusade against the Lycans and other werebeasts." Cardinal Trilawni made the sign of the trinity. "Unholy and unnatural things. I hope that is the purpose of this conclave." 

Cardinal Stephan scoffed. "Hardly. The werebeasts make up half the population of the world. A crusade between men and werebeast would destroy crippel our forces and the leave the world in such devastation it could turn every governing body against us." He shook his head. "No. More likely it'll be a purge of the Nosferatu. The movement to see the undead finally removed from the land has been gaining momentum." 

There were murmurs of agreement from the assembled Cardinals. Another hour passed before the bell above the Basilica tolled. All turned and bowed their heads as his holiness the pope entered with the Archbishop and mother Supreme. The pope was the youngest in history at thirty years old with short ginger hair and vibrant green eyes. The doors to the Basilica were closed and everyone took their seats. 

The inside of the Basilica was around so all face a central platform where the pope sat with the Mother Supreme and Archbishop. When everyone was seated the steward of the Basilica stood before the platform and read from a scroll in accordance with tradition. 

"His Holiness the Pope has assembled the conclave on this the twelfth day of the 7th month!" He bowed to the pope then bowed to everyone assembled before the Archbishop stood and took his place. 

"Brothers and fellow apostles of the Holy See." His voice was strong and clear as he spoke. "A threat has come to light. A threat that endangers us all. In the town of Canterbury, a Devil has erected a barrier and turned the town into a den of fiends. Supernaturals from all over the nation have flocked to this town. Brothers, it is clear that this town is a forward position for Hell's forces to invade our world!" He was silent allowing his words to sink in. "His holiness is declaring Canterbury an enemy of the God of Light and of humanity! Within the year the faith will launch the tenth great crusade to wipe out this infestation of evil!" 

The Basilica filled with thunderous applause. Only a few clapped reluctantly. Cardinal Marques among them. Times had changed. The faith was stuck in a bygone past. Even if they succeeded in this crusade the governments of the world won't just turn a blind eye. The nation of light has been the seat of power for the faith for years but the other nations have long criticized the faith's actions against the supernatural community. This crusade could spell the end of the nation let alone the faith. 

Archbishop Constantine sat smiling at the pope. They were seated in the pope's office. "How did you like my speech your holiness." 

Pope Jerard smiled and nodded his head. "A fine job Constantine. Perhaps this time we might actually wipe out the scourge that plagues our land. These Demons and Devils have gone too bold." 

"Their boldness works in our favor, your holiness. My men have reported that demons from all over the nation have been arriving in droves." Constantine laughed. "They've gathered in one place. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel. Finally! We'll eradicate one great evil from our world!" 

Jerard smiled Constantines' excitement was infectious. "Yes. At long last, our glorious purpose will have come to fruition. We will wipe out the denizens of Hell and anyone else who shared any sympathy with their kind." 

"And then peace shall reign over our land," Constantine said reverently. 

1