Slow 17
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arma and the children were the last ones to empty out of the pen, Escott right behind them. For the past three hours, Escott tried without success to figure out what he should say. In that time he noticed Arma's wondering eyes. She...she appeared to be looking for something, an alternative choice.

Maybe the idea of marriage for herself as a way of staying hadn't occurred, but she was considering it now. She'd be insane to marry a random bastard in lockup.

Hell, it was insane even when Escott was that likely random bastard, but someone else.... He couldn't imagine what kind of person would offer to take on eleven children. Again, he tried to push his own picture from that lineup. He was offering. But then he remembered something—something important. The non-exile rule only applied to imps, as they'd likely follow their mates even to hell rather than die alone.

He could squeeze it down to Newbreeds because no one was sure how Newbreeds reacted. Even he didn't know. Imps were stuck on scent. Scent and territory were big factors in the wives of imps knowing that they'd never shake their imp husband. He might stay out of the way, much like Karen's imp beau, Tine, but they'd be there.

Like it or not, Karen Blackwell was untouchable in more ways than one. That's where her boldness came from.

So if Arma intended to find a substitute in the five minutes it would take to process everyone out of the pen, she'd have one hell of a search on her hands.

By the time Escott closed the door, he could see that she realized as much.

Escott tried to apologize. "Honest, it's really not like that."

She ignored him instead and shifted in line while answering the Enforcers' questions about the children.

He tried again. "At lease let me say I'm sorry."

"Ma'am," a Newbreed said, trying to get Arma's attention. "What's this one's name? He doesn't appear to know his family name."

Escott tried to come to terms with the dismissal. What was his real intention when he first offered? He thought he knew.

As for the enforcer's question, Arma didn't have an answer. Finally, she said, "His family name is the same as all of them. They take on the name of their Areal Manager."

Escott wanted to interrupt her, to warn her to be truthful that four of those kids didn't come from her lot, but the glance she cut him made him shut up.

The process was slow going until it came to a halt. "If you sign off here for adoptions, we'll see about it."

Arma reached out but lowered her hand.

She struggled with something to say. Beyond their immediate circle, other enforcers reviewing the paperwork marveled.

"All ten—no, eleven. You ever seen anyone make it here with two much less eleven from a lot?"

Others whispered, "Curious to know how she pulled that off."

Not for long thanks to me. Escott wanted to find a wall to bang his head against.

"Well, you're in luck," the enforcer said, "the Blackwells are starting to take in orphans. They have a big enough estate to do it, too."

"Blackwells?" Arma lowered the pen, unable to sign. "Are there any others?"

"That aren't overfull? No. But it's really nice-looking, don't worry.

Arma's unfortunate situation was her downfall because she turned to Escott and whispered, "Are you still available?"

The desperation in her eyes spoke volumes. Maybe she had come with the intent of turning the children over. Maybe her bad blood with Blackwell made up her mind. But something told Escott that wasn't it. She'd come to give them away; it wasn't until his suggestion that she realized she might have a fighting chance.

With all eleven.

Escott didn't back down. "I was serious. And the same rules apply as I mentioned before."

Arma's jaw worked. Finally, she nodded. "Then I'd be obliged."

Stunned, Escott managed to nod. "Okay." He glanced beyond her to the awaiting enforcer and explained their pending marriage and adoption of all eleven.

The man looked confused at first but then smiled wide.

Escott didn't. "I'm not joking."

That smile faded. "What?"

One enforcer joined the first and they talked. A third had to come and they relayed the message. By number six, they finally turned their attention to Escott again.

"What is this?" Jan asked. "They said you're requesting a marriage...now?"

Escott nodded. "That's right, Auntie."

"Your father—"

"I'd rather he not know. Not just yet."

"We can't marry you to a total stranger," Jan protested.

"Why not?" Escott waited for anyone keen on accepting the challenge. "I'm a Newbreed."

Jan leaned in, lowering her voice. "Escott, I'm sure she's a lovely person but doing this to get back at...."

Escott ignored the fact that yet another person thought he'd jump into something like this on a whim. The look was a bonus. That's what he'd said and meant. Just how foolish did they think him?

"I'm Newbreed," he repeated. "And I've made my selection."

And then the world ended. It happened with one enforcer running off and yet another, and another. The whole room came to life. That would be fine so long as they got it done before the Chief found out.

One set of eyes focused on him, Lilah. She watched them, stunned. What he wanted to tell her was that she should fucking leave—run. Karen's agreement to help revive the imp Guardian meant Lilah might find some forgiveness, but he suspected her father did something to stop the scans as soon as he heard of Karen's deal.

Good. This wasn't about her, but he wasn't trying this for revenge, either. She should get out of here before anyone found out about her and the Guardian.

"The Chief's down there with the Guardian," someone said.

"Perfect," Escott whispered. He couldn't believe his luck. No one seemed interested in moving, and he warned Jan, "I'm going by the book right now, but we've already mated, and I know my rights."

Jan seemed disappointed in him. "Essy, of course you haven't. Come on. This isn't a game to play."

He felt equally slighted. "Auntie, this is something I have to do—I want to do. And I'll be level-headed about it for now but not for all that long." He raised an eyebrow at the woman. "I mean...you have a few policies that I think wouldn't stand up to reviews. Right?"

Using Jan's original suggestion with marking Ice as a fiancée was low, but Escott was willing to take what he could get.

"I just want to help these kids," Escott said. He glanced past Arma to the enforcer waiting in the wings with cuffs, eager to grab her and send her back beyond the Veil.

There was a lot of stalling all around but eventually several people caved—Jan included who pretended to prepare the paperwork.

Cleaning, assessing, and processing the children was the only big issue otherwise. Something strange happened when they left Arma's side...their command of the language all but faded.

Several people commented on it. One of the older Elementals still left from the scanning passed through but said, "Then she's an E. I'd check if part of her tongue isn't gone if I were you." He walked out the door before Escott could get more answers.

By the time the children were ushered into a new room, their words sounded like gibberish. She'd given them language—Arma had given them language somehow. He never imagined that Elementals could do more than throw fire.

"You're an Elemental of old," Jan observed.

"I'm a part of one, yes. I was culled from the power of an Elemental's hair," Arma admitted. "And if you send me back.... Well, the thought is not pleasant."

All attempts at reaching the Chief went unanswered. Arma went right into handcuffs—with Escott out the door with her.

"You two're going to get a medical check right now," Jan said.

There was no use struggling, three Newbreeds brought them down there. That was also where he encountered Rosemarie and Princess, sitting and waiting.

Someone else came, Darla.

"Essy. What's this nonsense I hear about you getting married?"

"Nonsense? Nobody took it seriously, even once?" Escott stood. "Well, I am serious."

Darla helped him sit again. She kept the conversation between them.

"If you fight this, I think you'll win, but I want to warn you against it." She searched his eyes for understanding. "I know better than most the difficulty involved. And I've never...I couldn't admit to it because nobody else was going through it, but...the first year Mara didn't have any drive for me beyond my inclinations. We did mate. We mated often, but...but I could see it—when things changed finally. It was like one day he woke up and he was just hungry for it all the time. Medics and even Jerret always warned me here and there that Mara, though nearly fifty years my senior, might not have been able to produce. And I figured it was the same with you because you had a long engagement, but lately I see you squinting."

Escott raised his right eyebrow in guilt. "I squint?" He paused, "Wait, are you saying I have Baby Eyes?"

Darla nodded. "Probably."

"Oh, for f...." He gnashed his teeth and decided to surrender. "That'd explain a lot."

"So can you wait it out?"

Escott considered her words for some time. Finally, he admitted, "Aunt Darla, I...I'm trying to keep Arma from getting sent back. And my status means the kids are secure, too. That's all."

Darla looked between them and said, "Right now, Essy, I doubt you really feel that sorta love that kinda burns in you. But one day, dear, one day you might, and what happens then?"

Thoughts of one day never came.

"This physical transition you're going through might take years. And what happens to those kids then?" Darla said, "They aren't your responsibility."

"I'm not yours, either." At her stifled gasp, he hurried to explain. "I mean, you care about me, and that's why you reach out and I'll admit, sometimes my parents don't get it and you—you honestly do, and I appreciate that helping hand. That's what I'm trying to extend, too. I had tons of plans. Figured Lilah and me'd end up with a big family, too. That's why I got that part of the orchard for myself. But that's never happening. They need something safe and comforting. They need Arma."

"Married?" a familiar voice asked. "You're getting married to get back at me? Is that your mature response, Escott?"

He wasn't sure where Lilah came from. He was glad she kept her distance, but the hurt was evident in her eyes.

"This isn't about you." More than anything, he'd hoped to avoid a confrontation with his father, Lilah hadn't even been a forethought—she rarely cared about anything lately.

"And to a hairless E?" Lilah asked. "Aren't you supposed to 'upgrade' after a breakup?"

Escott rose to his feet. "I don't know how the hell I didn't see it all this time, but you are such a snob."

Her breath hitched. That small word had enough power to shame her.

Arma still watched the floor from her chair. Escott wasn't sure how to recover from this. If they took a medical exam and found none of Escott's venom in Arma's blood, it'd be more than obvious they hadn't mated.

Darla stood, too. She took Arma by the hand, then Escott and led them past Lilah who she cut a glance. Ten minutes later in Jan's office, Escott pressed his thumbprint against a piece of paper. This wasn't how he expected it to be.

"We don't gotta say anything?"

Jan looked pale. "No. And please don't say anything, because your father's going to say more than enough when he comes back." She met Darla's gaze. "And you're taking the blame."

Escott glanced at Arma on his right and waited. When she put her thumb in the ink and stamped the paper as well, Escott's stomach felt tight.

Her hand trembled.

"Here." Escott took a handkerchief from the inner vest of the uniform. "Here, let me."

"That's too fancy. It's not for use," Arma complained.

It seemed too important to just let her wipe her hand on her pant leg perhaps.

Their eyes met but neither had anything to say.

"We'll give the children some tests and process their names and so on before releasing them. Don't worry, we have some Topsiders on hand who can speak the language, but not many."

Arma nodded. "Am...am I free to leave for a few hours until then?"

Darla's expression changed. "Already? You're going to leave, already?"

Jan seemed equally displeased, but Escott didn't care. Arma wasn't going to run, and even if she was, then so what? That's what he'd married her for...seconds ago, apparently.

"Just for a little while. I'll be back by nightfall," she promised.

Today, as they exited the room, it was the first time she took the hood off.

"I've gotta find Sash and get him the same process," Arma said. "I hadn't expected this."

All eyes were on them as they traveled.

Escott was sure it wasn't because he felt self-conscious about his new marriage. It must have been something else.

When they reached the door outside, Escott asked, "Have you ever thought of wearing a wig?"

Arma slowed in her stride.

It was the strangest expression Escott had ever seen—stranger still because she walked away from him without giving an answer.

He followed after her. "I'm not sure how much they cost, but I have some money saved if you need it."

She picked up speed, but that must have been Escott's imagination. He didn't realize anything was wrong until she slipped between two passing rickshaws without waiting for him.

Escott nearly lost sight of her, but he recovered. It finally occurred to him that she was in a bad mood. That was sudden.

"Hey." When she wouldn't answer, he gave chase. "Hey. How can you just ignore someone?"

"Ignoring you is my way of being kind."

Escott struggled to keep up. "If I said something offensive, you could just communicate that without getting silent."

"You don't want to hear what I have to say." She slid down the steps leading to a lower street.

He landed right behind her. "Try me."

"Fine." She turned to him. "A wig would be great. Should we weave one from your non-existent pubes?"

Brow furrowed, Escott gaped. "Wow. Ouch. For more reasons than one. Were you saving that one?"

She walked on. "Go to hell."

That was kinda hard considering their new marriage. Rubbing his face with one hand, he groaned to himself.

The more he walked, following at a reasonable distance, he regretted letting Lilah's words influence him.

Elementals. Their power was in their hair. Of course, being bald was a big deal. It meant a lot. It also might have been why usually-calm-and-unfeeling Lilah took offense, too.

It mattered. And it mattered all the more because E's wouldn't freely give up power like that, someone took it. Despite all that, Arma found strength again and again. She was trying to fight her fate.... And now Escott had insulted those efforts.

He caught up to her but decided to keep his mouth shut. She was looking for Sasha. He'd help and head back.

His badge buzzed. "Escott! Escott you bastard."

At the Chief's voice, Escott cracked a smile. "So you've finally disowned me, huh, old man? Be my guest."

Escott turned his attention to Arma again only to find her...gone.

She was gone. A wide-open road, and she was gone. Escott considered it for some time.

"How's that possible?"

A partially closed manhole covering calmed him. She'd gone underground. But there was no point around here. With the lake so close, there'd be limited tunnels to travel.

He opened the covering and jumped down into it, moments before Arma turned a corner some distance away. Escott thought to go back up and see about the cover but instead dropped to his hands and feet and gave chase. The sound of rushing water echoed throughout. As he neared a light source, he realized it wasn't water, it was people. Tons of people surrounding a huge dome cage.

Cage fights?

How'd I ever miss this?

Other than some casual fights during festivals, Escott had never encountered real fights like these. Not surprising, Lander sat high up against the wall watching the opponents. No doubt he joined in now and then.

Escott found Arma standing before a big house of a man. When she pivoted on her heels and headed back the way she came, Escott waited. He was both startled and glad when she grabbed his arm and led him away.

"Keep walking. Sasha's not here."

"What?" Escott stumbled. "Then where is he?"

Two more big men came out of the crowd and Arma steered clear.

"I don't know." Arma picked up speed but came to a halt. "Shit."

"What?" Escott asked.

Arma gestured up high to a glass booth affixed to the ceiling. "I found him."

Sasha, hair tied up, looked worse for wear as he sat beside someone rather familiar. Mr. Blackwell.

"I guess we're on speaking terms again, huh?" Escott asked. She cut him a glance to which he said, "Don't worry, these fights are all fake."

"Do those bruises look fake to you?"

"Maybe he was looking to get adopted into a good family?"

She looked at him for a long while, so long that it became rather uncomfortable.

"What?"

Instead of answering, Arma set her sights on Sasha again. "What does he think he's doing?" She froze. "Oh shit."

Escott followed her gaze and stepped back. "What the hell is that?" He paused when Sasha stood to take hold of a bare piece of flesh. "I assume that's your arm?"

"No," Arma muttered. "No. No. Not with Sash." She rushed around to the cage entrance.

She seemed intent on going in. Escott wasn't sure but if this was anything like a match at the fair, it wasn't something to take lightly. "Once you get inside, you can't get out. Not until you fight."

"I need to get Blackwell's attention," Arma called back. "Sash isn't the same as Mouse. I haven't given him any gifts. He can't do the same things and if that bastard took him for something else...."

"Attention? With a fight? You have one arm!" Escott gave chase.

"Just stay out of it. He can't do this much on his own. Go back and see about the children. I'll come after I'm done here. I promise I won't run off into the night and leave you an abandoned newlywed."

When she charged into the cage, the crowd rose to their feet.

The reception confused Escott at first, and then he realized it—she was a favorite. He was more than certain this was how she made her money—this was probably where she lost that arm.

Sasha froze at the sight of her at first before rushing the glass.

"Come on...." Arma chanted because while Sasha took notice of her and seemed relieved, Blackwell didn't look in their general direction. The man stood instead and took Sasha by the hand and led him away with the other hand around his waist. "What are you doing, Blackwell, idiot?" Arma called over the noise.

From a distance, Sasha looked mature but at this moment, he appeared more like a little boy when he tried to walk back to that glass.

Arma moved with them, heading toward the door as they traveled further out of sight.

Several men and women shoved Escott aside as they piled into the resting area bordering the cage and took seats. He counted twenty.

One armed or not, Escott honestly felt she could take a good few of them and walk out. But not twenty. A glance at the blackened area high above told him that leaving her to try would be a bad idea. Baby Eyes or no, he counted three men with crossbows hidden in one opening each.

Without thinking, Escott entered the cage. One set at the fair meant ten fighters. Teaming up meant a faster victory and he could ensure she make it out alive.

"What are you doing? Don't come after me, go after Sash."

Escott shook his head. Fifteen fighters sat in that cage waiting area, resting. After she entered, five more came, eager to get a shot at her in particular. Escott could imagine her beating more than just a few of them before...and now the odds of winning against her were better.

Two of them against ten men and she originally expected him to leave her there alone? A part of Escott respected her boldness, another part worried for her sanity. He, on the other hand, intended to make it out of this alive.

"Look at that," Escott said, "we're officially doing things as a couple.

0