2. To the Castle
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the morning, Tristan was packing up his things onto his trusted horse Epona. Yes he even named his horse after the hero’s. He truly loved the stories of old.

“I can't believe you're leaving.” Nicollet said, small tears ran down her cheeks. She hugged her boyfriend Jake who consoled her. Jake was a big strong guy. The one who you'd think would be the best in class and Nicollet was a short blond girl who followed Jake everywhere.

“We sure are gonna miss hanging out with you. Who knows maybe we'll meet again. We might even get stationed at Hyrule castle too.” Jake said, giving Tristan a slap on his back.

“Ow! What are you? It felt like I was just hit by a Goron! You sure you aren't half one?” Tristan joked back at Jake who just laughed.

“I don't think we'll be going to the castle, Jake. Only the best of the best have the privilege to guard the king. We'll probably be sent off to a garrison outpost or Akkala citadel.” Oliver was the more reasonable fellow of the group. He was also the quietest one.

“You'll have to come visit us on your days off!” Nicollet said.

“I'd love to but I don't know if I'll have time.” Tristan said sadly

“You're a knight now, you don't have time.” Jake said jokingly but seriously. “Unlike soldiers, knights are of a higher class which means you will be very busy.” 

“Oh before I forget we made you something.” Nicollet reached into her bag and pulled out a picture of the four of them. “Jake drew it, Oliver made the frame, and I decorated it. It's so you can remember us.” She handed the photo to Tristan who started tearing up.

“You guys are the best.” Tristen held them all in a big group hug. “Thank you.”

“Oops You're a knight now no crying.” Jake laughed. Suddenly they all heard approaching footsteps. They all looked and saw Commander Numor heading their way. The four snapped to attention. 

“At ease gentlemen and lady. Tristan here is the paperwork. There is no time to lose. You should be on your way soon.” Numor handed Tristan an envelope. “Good luck kid. Look after yourself and that sword. May it serve you well.”

“Thank you sir.” Tristan nodded and jumped up onto his horse. “Goodbye everyone, I'll miss you all so much!” Waving goodbye, Tristan and Epona headed for Hyrule Castle. Passing through Hyrule forest park Tristan began to grow incredibly nervous. “Come Epona let's get going! Hyah!” With a whiny Epona started running along the road until they came upon Hyrule Castle Town’s east entrance. “Easy girl.” Tristan slowed Epona down to a calm walk as they entered the town. There was so much commotion. Horses pulling wagons, people shouting, products of all sorts being sold, and guards walking the streets. “Wow look at this Epona! Isn't it wonderful.” Tristan pet his horses main. Walking into the central square Tristan saw the bridge leading up to the castle and the giant iron doors protecting the fortress. People were walking in and out of the castle on business. Tristan’s mouth dropped at the pure splendor and majesty of it all. He didn't even hear the person calling out to him.

“What are you deaf kid? State your business.” It was a knight who was guarding the entrance. He wore shining armor with the hylian crest on the chest plate. Bringing himself back to the present Tristan stuttered and stumbled looking for the letter.

“I um. I'm new here. Ah ha! Here it is.” Tristan handed the letter to him. The guard flipped it over and saw the wax seal letting out a laugh. 

“I for sure thought Numor had died. So I'm guessing you graduated early, young fellow. Well welcome to the castle. I am Rederic, Captain of the gate. I suppose you'll be wanting to speak with Brigadier General Halvarn. Togran! Take this man's horse to the knights stable. Sylvain, I'm leaving you in charge I'm taking this young chap to see the general.” Tristan got off his horse and gave her rains to Torgan.

“See you later Epona.” Stroking her neck Epona let out a whinny.

“Why does that name sound familiar?” Torgan asked Tristan

“Oh well. The hero of legend had a great horse named Epona. So I named my horse after her.” Tristan said smiling.

“I know nothing of the ancient legends but I guess that might be where I heard it from. I know the stable boys will get a kick out of that.” Turgon shrugged his shoulders.

“Um Captain Rederic, what should I do with my things?”

“Don't worry lad they will be taken care of and moved to your living quarters. Now follow me.” Moving very swiftly, Rederic followed by Tristan entered the castle. Once again Tristan was in awe of everything he saw. “Close your mouth kid. I know it's a lot and it's very fascinating but you look like a dog.” Tristan covered his mouth with his hands but still looked around. In fact he was so in awe that he wasn't paying attention and ran right into someone knocking both of them to the ground.

“Oof! What the hell man, watch where you're going!” Said this mystery person. They had long wavy golden hair well brushed and wonderful blue eyes. Their clothes were a royal blue with gold and white trimmings. They also wore a circlet of gold with a red gem in the center.

“Oh no! I'm so sorry! I wasn't paying attention.” Tristan held onto this person's arm who looked to be a little older (and much taller) than himself and helped him to his feet. “I was just marveling at all the wonderful things in this castle.” The two looked into each others faces to see who each other was.

“Your highness! I'm so sorry for this foolish boy!” Rederic got down on one knee and bowed. 

“You're the prince!” Tristan gasped completely forgetting he was supposed to bow as well.

“Um yes. One of them. I'm Archer. And may I ask who you are? You're clearly not from around the castle or town.” Archer looked very confused from the fall and Tristan. Getting up from his feet Rederic pulled Tristan away from the prince smacking him on the head.

“Know your manners! When you're in the presence of royalty, you bow before them.” Saying that Redric pushed Tristan's shoulders down forcing him to his knees. “Your highness may I introduce our newest recruit. Um, may I ask your name?” Tristan stood up and answered.

“Tristan. My name is Tristan.” He said, giving a small bow.

“Well Tristan you certainly made an entrance didn't you.” Archer reached out and ran a strand of Tristan's hair through his fingers. “May we meet again soon.” Tristan's cheeks turned bright red as the prince walked away.

“You fool!” Smacking the back of his head again Rederic continued moving forward. “Don't expect to see him again. The princes are very busy with their royal duties.” The two kept walking through the corridor and down some stairs. The vibrant red carpet and white brick changed into red brick and no carpet at all. They then walked down a hallway with wooden doors. Rederic stopped in front of one and knocked. From within the room there came a voice.

“Enter.” Tristan followed Rederic inside. There were swords and old maps on the walls and a desk in the back of the room. Around this desk there stood three men all clad in military gear.

“Generals, may I present Tristan. Give them the letter boy.” Silently and filled with nerves Tristan held out the letter from Numor. The man on the left looked Tristan up and down and took the letter. The man flipped it over

“It's from Commander Numor.” Said the man and gave it to the man in the middle. Tristan assumed this man with flaming red hair tied in a braid was Brigadier General Halvern. The man with red hair ripped open the letter after reading it he passed it back to the other man to read.

“So you must be a good fighter to graduate early. I'm General Halvern. This is Lieutenant General Kemnor on my right and Major General Aarinfor on my left. Welcome to the castle young knight. Say how old are you?”

“20 sir.” Tristan said nervously.

“A fair age. And what is your weapon of choice? Oh I see you have a sword at your hip.” Halvern pointed out

“Yes and I can use a bow too.”

“Very good. Now where to put you. Aarinfor what do you think?” 

“There are enough soldiers in town and enough stationary soldiers around the castle. Possibly at one of the gate houses. What about you Kemnor? Do you need more knights?” Kemnor thought for a moment.

“I think I have a spot for this young knight. We could have him join the west patrol. But I'd like to see him fight first.” Kemnor scratched his long beard.

“Excellent idea. Numor says in his letter that this young knight is very skilled and bested even him.” Halvern said “Now I'd like to see his skills. Come with us lad. Thank you Rederic for bringing him to us. You may return to your post.”

“My pleasure generals.” Rederic bowed to the generals, turned around and disappeared. Helvern placed a hand on Tristan's shoulders.

“Come with us young one lets see what you're made out of.” Guided along with the generals, Tristan was on the brink of trembling. He was so nervous and excited at the same time. They walked through the corridors and ended up outside at the first gate house.

“Commander Sou?” Called out general Halvern.

“Yes yes I'm here. Oh generals, what a pleasant surprise. And who is this little one?” Commander Sou was a Sheikah warrior with white hair tied up and wore a dark violet uniform. He was the leader of the highly trained Sheikah warriors that guarded the Royal family in stealth.

“Commander Sou, this is Tristan, our newest knight.” Halvern pated Tristan on the back.

“It's so nice to meet you sir.” Tristan smiled

“Hmm. Likewise, so little fry you graduated early I'm guessing. That's pretty rare, you must have some skills.”

“That's what we're here to see. Call up your best knight to have duel with this young fellow.” Kemnor stated.

“A show! Very nice. And I'm sure the princes Dominic and Celeborn will enjoy it too.” Sou pointed up to the railing above them. Sure enough two golden haired men wearing royal blue stood watching the conversation. “Let me get things in order, it will be a couple minutes. Young knight feel free to look around.” Sou and the generals walked off leaving Tristan alone to look around.

“Hey newbie!” someone called out. “Come over here.” Tristan looked around and saw a group of knights beckoning him over. Tristan very shyly headed in that direction. “Hey, im Timmy, great to meet you.” Timmy held out his hand and Tristan shook his hand. 

“I'm Tristan nice to meet you too.”

“Aw poor kids, nervous. I heard the higher ups want to see you fight. Maybe if you're lucky they might let you join our patrol here. Oh I'm August by the way. And this is Issac and Cade.” August pointed to the two others in the little group. Tristan waved at them.

“So how old are you guys?” Tristan asked.

“We're all 23 and graduated from the academy together. I don't see any other members of your class. Did they not make it to the castle?” Issac asked.

“Um no I graduated early.” The four boys looked at Tristan in wonder

“Good with a blade are you. No wonder why the old geezers want to see you fight.

“You might not want to call your superiors such names. It could get you in trouble.” To the five knights' surprise standing behind them was Prince Dominic and Prince Celeborn. Simultaneously the knights dropped to their knees.

“Most apologies to your highnesses we meant no disrespect.” Timmy said.

“You all may rise.” Celeborn gestured. And with his word the knights stood up still at attention. “So your name is Tristan is it not? Well Tristan it's rare for one such as yourself to be under the fascination of his superiors.”

“Thank you, your majesty.” Tristan gave another little bow. “It's an honor that you think so.”

“Hm.” Dominic looked Tristan up and down. “I wonder if you truly are a good fighter. I for one am looking forward to seeing you spar with an experienced knight. Good luck.” And with that the Princes walked away. 

“Holy shit!” Timmy blurted out of the shock of being called out by the princes. From across the Gatehouse Tristan was being summoned. 

“Young knight! Come over here.” It was the generals and Sou. Tristan ran over to them “Your opponent will be general Aarinfor. Don't expect to win, we just want to see what you're made out of.” Sou turned to the rest of the knights. “ For all those who wish to watch, stand back against the wall. This will be interesting.” Whispers erupted throughout the gatehouse. People wondered who Tristan was and why he was so special. Tristan wondered that himself. What had Numor said about him in that letter?

“Prepare yourself young one.” Aarinfor pulled out his sword and held up a shield. Tristan unsheathed his sword as well and was given a shield. The general looked at the gold and red sword that Tristan wielded “It appears Numor has much faith in you if he gave you that. Let's see what you got!” With that Aarinfor rushed at Tristan. Swords clashing over and over again. Tristan was on the defense while the general was on the offense. How can he compete with a highly skilled general? Tristan was getting into his own head. Slash! The blade ripped into Tristan’s shoulder. Leaping back, Tristen looked at his wound. It wasn't a deep wound but it was bleeding.

“Oh you son of a bitch!” Tristan called out on accident. People gasped at his words but the general laughed. Tristan was now all fired up and leaped at the general. Swoosh, clank, clash! The sounds of steel echoed through the hall. To everyone's surprise Tristan had the upper hand. Backflipping away Tristan jumped and rolled behind the general and leaping up, slashed the general in the back. He didn't draw blood because the general was wearing armor. This made Tristan wonder why no one offered him armor. The general was stunned and Tristan took his chance to perform a spine attack. Causing the general to fall to the ground. Getting back up he said.

“My my my, You use very old skills. No one I know uses the ancient ways. Who taught you such forms?.” The general rushed at Tristan again only for him to miss by Tristan jumping out of the way and as if time had slowed down Tristan was able to get a few more hits into the generals side. This part of him did not have armor on. The general jumped back and clutched his side. “And you know how to flurry rush. Now I'm even more curious.” He looked around but could not see Tristan anywhere.

“I taught myself!” Tristan's voice came from above. Somehow he had obtained a bow and arrows. He jumped off the ledge from where he was perched and once again time slowed down and Tristan let loose a flurry of arrows. The general fell back and was pinned to the ground. Tristan jumped in the air and drove his sword into the ground right beside the general's head. “Looks like I won this round.” The general looked into Tristan's eyes and saw the passion of fire and courage of heroes long diseased. 

“What raw skill. Now I understand Numor’s letter.” Picking the arrows off of him the general stood up. “He has raw strength that I have only seen in a few. Tristan has the heart of a knight and great knowledge of the Hero of Legend. He has such power from the passion he has in his eyes. I don't know where it comes from. Once he sets his mind to something there is no changing it. He’s stubborn that way. I am placing him in your service for this very reason. The kingdom could use more knights like him. Knights that respect the old ways. The ways we no longer hold onto.” Aarionfor read out loud the letter Tristan gave them. “And he goes on and on about you.” The other knights roared with applause. Tristan looked around and his eyes fell on the now three princes. Archer had come to watch too. Tristan began to blush as they walked up to him.

“Job well done Tristan what amazing skills you have. One day I wish to spar with you.” Dominic said. 

“Our father will be most pleased to hear that he has such a skilled knight in our presses.” Celeborn clapped his hands together. “If the generals don't mind we’d like for you to come with us.” The general looked surprised

“Um well. Yes Tristan you are excused. Once we have decided where to place you we will send a messenger to tell you the news.”

“That's not necessary. I'd like Tristan as my appointed knight.” Archer said without hesitation.

“What?!” Tristan and the general said at the same time. Archer rolled his eyes

“I'd like Tristan as my appointed knight. I'm sure I will be well protected with him as my shadow.” Archer's brothers nodded in agreement.

“Yes, your highness, I'm sure that can be arranged.” 

“Thank you general Aarinfor. Come Tristan, we will show you around the castle.” Dominic said. With that the princes headed off  into the castle with Tristan by their side.

0