3. Journey Through the Halls
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group walked thru many hallways and rooms pointing out as much as they could. For the young knight Tristan would need to know the castle inside and outside, up and down in order to fulfill his duties successfully. Walking down a long hallway and an awkward moment of silence Dominic started up a conversation. “You are very skilled. I have know doubt that you will do well in a battle against the various monsters of Hyrule.”

“Dominic is fascinated with the biology of monsters. It gets a little freaky sometimes.” Celeborn chuckled. 

“Well at least I have a hobby that isn't fraternizing over the women of this kingdom. I swear every time you see a girl you-” Celeborn took a swing at his younger brother

“Shut the hell up Dom or I'll lock you in a box and ship you to Lanayru. Honestly you should get laid every once in a while. It would do you some good.”

“Well maybe the future king of this kingdom shouldn't be so careless.” Dominic glared with his lips in a smile as he teased his older brother.

“Don't worry, I know a girl who's perfect for you!” Celeborn wrapped his arm around his brother's shoulder.

“You better not have slept with her first. That would be really weird.” Archer smirked. Tristan looked back and forth between the brothers not wanting to interrupt whatever was going on.

“You both are little shits! Get over here Archer!” Celeborn pulled his brother into a headlock.

“Mother fucker!” Archer struggled to get free. After a few moments of Celeborn laughing as his brother strugaling in his arms Tristan stepped into action and grabbed Celeborn's arm that was holding Archer and twisted it. Shouting in pain Celeborn released his brother immediately. And seeing that he did, Tristan let go of Celeborn. The three brothers looked at him in shock.

“What? It's my job now?” Tristan giggled “Come on it shouldn't have hurt that bad.”

“Your right Celeborn's just a cry baby. And nice one Tris. I can call you Tris right?” Dominic gave him a high five.

“If you don't mind, may I ask you guys a couple questions.” Tristan asked. “If I am to be working for you I'd like to know more about you.”

“Wow you certainly are brave. Normally people act all stiff around us but you seem completely calm. Honestly I understand why they do but I'd like to be treated like a normal person every once in a while. But sure, ask away.” Celeborn shook his arm as the remainder of the pain left it.

“I mean you all seem comfortable acting how you are around me so that makes me comfortable. But um how old are you guys. And is it true that you are direct descendants of the Goddess Hylia?”

“Oh that's right you like hearing about the Legendary hero. Well yes we are descendants of the goddess. Our mother can hear the voices of the spirit world. However the power of the goddess only gets passed down through the women of our family.” Archer continued. “I'm 22, Dominic is 23, and Celeborn is 25. How old are you?” Archer looked curiously at Tristan.

“First of all wow that's so cool! That means your family has direct connections to the Hero! So cool! And I'm 20.” Tristan’s eyes sparkled with knowledge about the hero. He really couldn't believe he was in the presence of the Goddesses descendants.

“Holy shit! Only 20! I thought you were much older based on your skill level.” The prince looked shocked, “You're also very short.” Archer said not thinking before he spoke. “Oops sorry didn't mean to say that. I just mean your fun size. Nope! Didn't mean for that it came out either!” Archer just put his head in his hands and sighed.

“Archer is a connoisseur of fighting techniques. He loved watching you fight. And kept getting excited when you pulled off those old techniques.” Celeborn patted his brother on his back. ”There, there. How about you tell Tristan about your fighting skills.” Archer looked up from his hands.

“Well I'm not as good as you. I once tried to do a spine attack and fell down on my ass. The old techniques aren't my style. How were you able to master them? I'd love to know.” The brothers nodded in agreement.

“Well I read a lot about the ancient hero and figured it out by myself. Sorry there's not much to tell.” Tristan looked at Archer who was a little disappointed.

“Well you'll just have to show me sometime.” Archer livened up at the thought he just shared. “My brothers and I were privately trained for combat. Dominic is good with sword, Celeborn with a spear, and I favor the sword as well. However I'm more of a cavalier rather than a foot soldier. I'm sure we all could learn a thing or two from a young knight like yourself. After all, you went through training everyday for many years to master the sword. Am I correct?” 

“Yes. I was at the training camp for three years. I started early because both my parents died and I had no one to look after me. That's when I met Commander Numor. He found me at the Outpost by the Great Plateau. I was caught stealing food and he offered to take me in and have me join the military.” The brothers stared at Tristan feeling sad at the story they were just told.

“Well I'm very grateful that your path led you here.” Archer placed a hand on Tristan's shoulder. Tristan looked up at him and smiled. This little moment was more than enough to make Tristan's heart skip a beat.

“What are you boys doing?” A voice came from a little way down the hallway they were in. As soon as Tristan saw who it was he dropped to his knees and bowed his head. It was King Cinwell of Hyrule himself.

“Father…Um we were just showing this new night around.” Celeborn said as the brothers parted to the side revealing Tristan.

“Ah yes I was informed we had a knight that bested one of the generals in our castle. And I see you boys have spared no time in befriending him. You three have always been curious about such people.” The king smiled.

“You may raise a child.” A soft voice belonging to a woman with radiant golden hair gave Tristan a command. Upon raising his head and standing up Tristan saw Queen Alwyn of Hyrule was gracing them with her presence. Her golden hair tied up in a beautiful braid. “So young one.” The queen walked up to Tristan and placed her hands on either side of his face and closed her eyes. “I sense much courage in you. And also a great longing to explore the world around you. You daydream? That's good. Dreams are our gateway to realms of our own.” She opened her eyes and stared deep into Tristan’s. She smiled a smile as bright as the sun “What a strong boy. Welcome to the castle. I'm sure my sons are treating you well.” Tristan stared in awe at her beauty.

“Oh um. Yes milady. Their wonderful gentlemen. Very noble.”

“But also chaotic, yes I know. But aren't all young princes. It seems Archer has taken a particular liking to you. He even asked for you personally to accompany him as his appointed knight! Very odd of him to take to strangers in such a way.” The queen had wisdom surrounding her. Tristan could almost feel the magic that circled her aura. Tristan wondered how she already knew that he was appointed to be Archer's knight.

“Mother, this is Tristan. As a hobby he learns all he can about the Hero of Legend and the goddess born princess.” Archer informed her.

“Yes I knew that as well. It's written all over his face. You are filled with much joy to be in our family's home. Not because of the castle but because of the stories within these very walls.” She took Tristan's hand in hers. “There is a section in the library all about the course of history regarding the hero. Feel free to borrow any book you'd like from that section.” Queen Alwyn stepped back next to her husband and linked her arm with his.

“Thank you very much, milady.” Tristan bowed.

“It was very nice to meet you, Tristan. I hope to see you soon. Take care of him gentlemen.” With that said the king and queen walked away.

“Holy shit! Her powers are absolutely amazing!” Tristan excitedly jumped up and down.

“Yeah they are. When she reads minds it gets a little annoying.” Celeborn crossed his arms

“You're just annoyed because she calls you out on your impulsive thoughts.” Dominic said, patting his brother on the back.

“Come there's still more to see.” Archer pushed everyone along trying to change the subject. They walked all throughout the castle Showing Tristan everything they could. They eventually walked into the library. Tristan had no words to describe. There were massive shelves and tables filled with hundreds of books.

“Let's go!” Archer grabbed Tristan's arm and ran out into the library. The two remaining brothers were most confused. Passing noble men and scholars who looked quite shocked and annoyed at the sudden interruption of the loud sound of running feet against the stone floor. Archer and Tristan ran up and down stairs and in circles. The two eventually stopped at a bookcase on the second floor. Pulling over a ladder Archer shimmied up it to the very top and grabbed what appeared to be a very dusty and worn out book. Climbing down he handed the book to Tristan. “You should start with that one. Open it up and see what it's about.” Flipping the cover open Tristan's eyes widened and tears started forming in his eyes he read out loud.

“The Creation Myth and Era of the Goddess Hylia volume one. This book. I've only read about in books that this book exists. This tells the full story of the first age of Hyrule. And the rest of these books as well. Is this the shelf the queen was talking about?” Tristan was so full of joy he honestly couldn't believe what he held in his hands was the real thing. “This book is 10s of thousands of years old. How has it managed to survive?”

“Very well taken care of, I guess. Plus no one is really interested in the true details of our history. Most people have heard the short version passed down orally. That's why its such a shock to see one such as yourself mesmerized with the history. And that's why I'm mesmerized by you.” Archer stepped in front of Tristan who backed up into the book case out of surprise by the prince’s movements. Archer put his arm parallel with Tristan. They stared into each other's eyes for what felt like forever.

“Oi! What the hell are you two doing?!” Celeborn and Dominic had the most confused looks on their faces. Both Archer and Tristan's faces turned red as a rose. “You know what I don't even want to know. I'm going to pretend like I didn't see my baby brother do that. Ew! Now I'm thinking of things I shouldn't be thinking of. Ugh!” Celeborn turned around and started stomping away.

“Well maybe you should clean the garbage out of your brain you sex demon!” Archer called after his brother. All he got was the middle finger in response. Archer chased after his brother smacked him on the head causing his crown to slant. With that a chase around the library ensued until the two brothers were out of sight.

“Where did they go?” Tristan said, running to the railing to look out into the library. He couldn't see nor hear the other two.

“Knowing Archer he probably went down the secret passage to the docks. Let's go after them and make sure they don't drown each other in the moat.” With That being said Dominic and Tristan went to the first floor of the library. They stopped in front of a metal bookcase which Dominic pulled open like a door revealing a secret passageway. They walked down many flights of stairs until they entered an open room filled with crates, barrels, and there was a ship being unloaded. 

“Your highnesses please! Calm yourselves!”

“What can't you see, this is fun? We're having fun right Archer?!” Running to the sound of the voice of Celeborn they saw on the wooden docks lay Celeborn who had wrapped himself around his brother holding Archer in a headlock. “This is what you get Little brother! You've never been good at hand to hand combat.” Both men struggled and wrestled on the ground.

“Do they always do this? And should we intervene?” Tristan turned to look at Dominic for answers.

“We all do this to each other. We keep score on who wins each fight. And no, they're fine, just watching and enjoying the show.” The two continued to wrestle but suddenly with a splash Archer was nowhere to be seen, only a ripple in the water.

“Shit!” Without hesitation Tristan ran to where he last saw the prince “He should have come up by now he must have hit his head!” Taking his sword out of its sheath “Hold onto this and don't lose it.” He handed it to Celeborn and dove into the water. It was almost pitch black because the docks were technically in a cave. Tristan continued swimming down. Suddenly he saw a faint blue glow of what appeared to be a small chunk of luminous stone on a necklace. Swimming toward it he touched something that felt like fabric! Grabbing hold of it with both hands he felt it was the shape of a man. Grabbing the figure under both arms Tristan kicked off the bottom of the lake and swam upward. Breaching the surface he swam back to the dock where Dominic and Celeborn helped the unconscious Archer out of the water. Jumping up on the dock Tristan crawled over to the prince’s position. He put an ear to his mouth and listened for a breath. “Fuck he’s not breathing!” Tristan slightly tilted his head back and put his lips against Archers, breathing into his mouth twice. One he did that he took both of his hands and started pressing down on the prince’s chest.

“What are you doing?!” Asked Celeborn in panic.

“Saving his life. He has water in his lungs and no air. By doing this I'm getting air into his lungs and manually pumping his heart.” Tristan repeated this process a few more times and with a gasp followed by coughing Archer woke up. Tristan immediately rolled him onto his side to prevent the water from going back in.  Rubbing his back Tristan consoled him “Stay calm Archer you're okay. Stay on your side their might still be more water in their.'' After many more minutes of coughing Archer was finally able to sit up. 

“Oh Archer, I am so sorry. I don't mean for you to fall in.” Celeborn knelt next to his brother. Patting his brothers cheek Archer spoke.

“No hard feelings, it was all in the name of fun. Plus I'm the one who rolled into the water all on my own.” His eyes moved to look at Tristan. “You saved me..”

“As soon as he saw you go in he jumped right in after you without hesitation.” Celeborn said quickly. “Oh Tristan, here's your sword.” Taking the sword back and putting it in its sheath once more, Tristan held Archer under one arm and helped him stand.

“We should take you to your room to take a hot bath and dry off. You'll catch a cold.” With that the group headed up the stairs slowly walking off to take Archer to his room.

0