6. Concerning News in the Desert
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun was slowly climbing up the Gerudo canyon cliffs and showering the desert with a beautiful sunrise. It was 8 o'clock in the morning and Gerudo town was already buzzing with life. The Gerudo were a proud tribe of warrior women that has called the desert their home for many eons. Their way of life was tough just like the harsh region they inhabited. Today seamed like a normal day for one specific Gerudo, Trico, a twenty four year old Gerudo soldier. They had just woken up from a restless night of sleep. They got up looking very tired and walked over to the fire stove made out of sandstone to heat up a small cup of espresso made from beans gathered in the Faron Jungle. Their roommate, Tera, was a traveling merchant who had just got back from a weeks long trip to Lurlin village and brought the ground up beans as a gift for Trico. After making breakfast Trico sat down on the couch to enjoy the food they just prepared. Gerudo homes were carved out of sandstone. From cupboards to sofas and even their beds were all carved out of the sandy rock. But the Gerudo were excellent at working with textiles so homes were filled with beautifully crafted blankets, pillows, tapestries, and other fabric creations to cover up the stone. 

When Trico finished they got up and put on their uniform. A short gold and green top, white pants adorned with a gold belt. They also put on golden shin guards and matching arm guards. After they were dressed Trico walked over to the vanity in between the beds. They sat down and began getting ready for work. They put on golden earrings, arm bands, a necklace, and a circlet. After that they tied up their bright red hair in a high ponytail with a green and gold hair ring. But they left a chunk of hair to be braided that hung down the side of their face. They also put on blue lipstick and a bit of maroon eyeshadow. Once they finished they grabbed their sword and shield and off they went to the warriors courtyard to get today's assignment from the leading captain of the Gerudo. 

Walking through the streets of town Trico was suddenly stopped.

“Good Morning Trico!” It was Trico’s friend and fellow warrior Damsa.

“Good morning to you too. What happened? You look a little shaken.” A concerned look appeared on Trico’s face

“Something has indeed happened. There had been no word from the Southern Oasis team. They set out 5 days ago and were supposed to report back but there has been no word. The Captain wants all soldiers to report immediately. So I'm off to get Estere, Fareena, Gulbarg, and Huma.” Damsa informed Trico.

“Wait but it's their day off!” Trico was now very worried. However in situations like this they always kept their cool for the most part. “Is this situation so urgent that we need all of our soldiers?”

“It's what the captain wants. Excuse me, I have to go.” And with that Damsa ran off to go deliver the news to the other warriors. Trico on the other hand kicked into motion and started running to get to the warriors courtyard to find out more information. Once they reached their destination Trico saw literally almost every Gerudo warrior was there. Looking around Trico saw everyone was talking amongst themselves all very concerned and wondering what was going to happen.

“Attention Warriors please start gathering over in my general direction. We are now just waiting on a few more to arrive and that should only take a few minutes.” It was Captain Gordia! The most skillful warrior and leader of the army. With her command taking place the women started to gather towards her. To Trico’s realization their best friend Laleh wasn't here. Oh no! They were on the patrol that went to the Southern Oasis! Panic slowly started to creep up their spine.

“No!” Trico thought. “Calm yourself! You must remain calm! Stay strong for Laleh.” Taking a deep breath in through their nose and out through their mouth Trico moved to join the crowd. A few minutes passed and Damsa returned with the other women who were barely ready. Their hair was down and most of them were still in their dressing robes. They had no time to get properly dressed for the state of emergency. Upon seeing their arrival Captain Gordia started speaking with a voice like thunder.

“Listen up Gerudo. As you have probably already heard, the Southern Oasis patrol has not reported back. Now some of you may be wondering what's the big deal. I'll tell you. Recently we have gotten reports that an old enemy of ours, The Yiga Clan, might have re-entered Hyrule. For many many years there has been absolutely no sign nor sound of them. As far as I remember they haven't been for hundreds of years. However there symbols the upside down eye has been sighted on rocks at the southern border. We have kept this information from you. I apologize for that but the chef wished it to be concealed for not wanting to cause panic. After all, the Yiga have been associated with the great calamity. The chef and I do not believe that the calamity will return. For it was defeated many years ago. But the Yiga clan's purpose is to try and bring it back. That is why we sent out that patrol. To see if they could spot any more signs of them. And I fear the patrols sudden disappearance is cause for great concern that they could have possibly been captured by the Yiga clan. There will be a patrol sent out lead by me. I will be accompanied by the following warriors. Warriors who know doubt have the necessary skills to bring our fellow soldiers home.” 

Trico crossed their fingers behind their back. Hoping that their name would be called. They wanted to go out to help find Laleh and the other missing soldiers. Trico and Laleh literally did everything together. They spent most of their work days together. Whether it was guarding an entrance to the town, getting ice from the ice house, or accompanying the archeologist out to the 7 heroine statues. And when they weren't on duty they'd hang out at the Noble Canteen drinking their famous noble pursuit together and stumble, giggling back to their homes after getting completely wasted. Because Gerudo women are 8 feet tall it takes a lot of alcohol to get them as drunk as those two would get sometimes. But on some days off they'd travel to Kara Kara Bazaar to enjoy themselves and buy from passing Hylian merchants.

With those in mind Trico had every right to want to go on such a dangerous mission. Listening intently at whose name the Captain would be calling.

“These women are Mehry, Pari, Roshanak, Cyra, Bolour, Berina, Azizah, and'' With much intensity Trico stared at the captain. Please call my name! Please call my name! “Aytan. Now warriors go prepare yourself, we leave in one hour.” Absolutely crushed Trico felt like they were going to melt into the floor. No! They wont have this! Trico ran up to the captain once the crowd disbanded to talk about the upcoming day.

“Captain Gordia.” Trico saluted their superior officer and stood at attention. “May I ask why I wasn't chosen for this mission? I mean no disrespect to you or the warriors you have chosen. But I feel like my skill will be of much use of this particular mission.” Trico started to sweat. Not because of the growing desert heat but because they didn't want the Captain to take their words the wrong way.

“Trico. You are a fine soldier. And I agree that you do have the proper skills for this mission. I also understand that one of the missing, Laleh, and yourself are close. But I have a reason for not picking you. The women I have picked are upfront strong and do not hesitate. You on the other hand have stealth and caution on your side. You are not impulsive. You think things through before you act. That is why you will be following behind the main patrol out of site. In case of an emergency you will be the eyes and ears of the situation. If we are attacked and captured you will stand down and continue following in stealth. Now go get ready.”

“Thank you ma’am! Thank you so much.” Trico saluted once again and turned to run and prepare.

“Trico!” The captain called after them. Trico skidded to a halt and wiped around

“Yes ma'am?”

“I believe in you. Do not let me down.” Captain Gordia was strict but kind at the same time. Trico saluted for a third time and went to prepare.

0