11. Dreams for the Future
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hidden in the north west mountains of the Necluda province sat Kakariko Village. A village that was home to the Sheikah tribe. This tribe is one of Hyrule’s oldest living races and was created alongside the Hylian. However their purpose was to be the guardians of the Goddess Hylia, the one who created them. They were much like the Hylians however their hair was white no matter what age they were and their eyes were a stunning red color. The Sheikah were able to use magic that is said was taught to them by the goddess. They have been known to predict the future, and use their magic to aid them in anyway they could. They created martial art forms and using their given magical abilities to help them in battle.

Ten thousand years ago the Sheikah were able to use their magic and mix it with technology that they created to assist the Hero of legend in defeating the great calamity. Sadly after it was defeated the King of Hyrule grew fearful of this ancient technology and ordered for it to be terminated and buried beneath the ground, never to be used again. Now the Sheikah live a very peaceful life. The magic was now only used by the elders and Sheikah warriors who were off working alongside the Hylian garrison. 

However there was one Sheikah girl who hated that her ancestors were forced to abandon their ancient technologies. Her name was Rain. She had big circle glasses and always wore her hair up in the traditional style twin buns with two hair sticks holding them together. She was in her early twenties, twenty two to be exact. The one thing that she wanted to do more than anything was to learn about science. She would often wondering around writing in her journal the movements of the weather or how animals interact with nature. But her greatest passion was learning about the ancient technologies that her ancestors helped create.

“You want to hear about it again, Rain? Why don't you go help your family with their pumpkin farm?” Is what Elder Itsutsuji would say to her “I’ve told you several times that all knowledge about the technology has been forgotten.”  

“But even if the calamity was destroyed we could use it to continue to keep Hyrule safe! We could create new ways to heal the hurt and protect those who need protecting. Why can't anyone see that what our ancestors created wasn't evil.” Rain argued back as the elder grew more impatient.

“You have a great mind, Rain. And I understand that the mind wants to learn and innovate. But you need to accept that no one has the answers anymore. The royalty of old forbid it. Plus can't you see that the kingdom has been at peace for centuries. And the only books that talk about the technology are locked away in the castle so you'll never be able to know more.” Elder Itsutsuji walked over to Rain and patted them on the back. “You will find your calling eventually.” Rain bowed in respect to the elder and turned to leave. “Rain, wait! If you ever get around to baking your very tasty cookies again you'll have to bring me some.” 

“Don't worry I will.” Rain smiled as they walked out the door. As she was walking down the stairs from the elders house she began to speak with pent up anger. “Why can no one understand! Ugh! It's so frustrating.” Rain was never really good at telling others how she felt. She was quiet and kept to herself most of the time. She would often climb up the mountains surrounding the village and walk the road up into the woods protecting the Great Fairy fountain. To let out her emotions and tell her thoughts to the wind. But this time she was so mad that she decided to walk back to her home on the edge of the village. Once she arrived she called out to her mother who was working in the pumpkin patch. Tsumugi was a Sheikah woman who was very kind and very soft spoken. Her white hair was long and went all the way down to her lower back and her eyes were all cloudy and white. And on her forehead was the mark of the Sheikah. An eye with teardrop running all the way to the tip of her nose in red paint. Rain had this mark too. For this crest is a talisman for the Sheikah to ward off evil. It is customary for those with a long Sheikah lineage to have it inked on their foreheads to honor their past. She wore the same traditional clothes as Rain as well.

When Tsumugi heard her daughter approaching, She stopped what she was doing, stood up and held out her arms to hug Rain, her hands were covered in soil. Rain ran up to her and hugged her mother.

“Any luck raindrop?” She asked her daughter.

“No, But I did find out that there are books in the castle regarding ancient technology.” Rain said very excitedly.

“That's good to hear. Let's talk more about this inside at dinner. Your brother Yoshio and sister Hotaru are inside making nabeyaki udon soup and salmon onigiri. You should go help them. I'm worried that Yoshio will burn the rice again.” 

“Don't worry I'll make sure the food is actually edible.” Rain kissed her mother on the cheek and ran inside. Sliding the door shut, Rain looked around. The floor was made out of dark wood as well as all the other furniture. In the back of the room there were three beds. One for Rain which she shared with her little sister Hotaru. Yoshio had his own bed and the final one was their mother and father’s. Right next to the front door on the right was a counter where food was prepared, cooked, and stored. Against the right wall in the back were two wardrobes and a small vanity. In the middle of the room off to the right there was a low dining table with five soft pillows circling it. In a vase in the center of the table was a branch of plum blossoms. Plum, cherry, and willow trees were surrounding the village and as the wind blew, leaves and petals would carry the sweet scents of nature.

Rain walked inside and behind her siblings. “Hotaru, those look beautiful!” Rain picked up a small tray filled with onigiri. She picked up one and took a small bite out of it. It tasted wonderful! The soft rice and the fishy taste of salmon filled her mouth with joy.

“Hey! Dinner isn't ready yet! You can't eat those!” Hotaru was a small 12 year old girl whose white hair was tied up in two small buns on the top of her head. And coming from each of those buns came a very long, carefully woven braids. 

“Wait so it's not ok for us to eat your onigiri early but it's okay for you to eat Rain’s mochi early?” Said Yoshio who softly yanked on his little sister's braids. He was the middle child about 17 and wore his long hair up high in a ponytail. He had glasses just like his sister. Rain was tall but Yoshio was even taller. Rain's younger siblings went back and forth poking each other leaving Rain to finish making the nabeyaki udon soup. Once the table was set Yoshio went out to get their mother and helped her to the table. Once all were seated they began passing around the food. 

“This smells delicious children.” Tsumugi said “So Rain tell us what news you have.” Swallowing her spoon full of soup, Rain relayed all that she and the elder had disgusted about the books in the castle library.

“I don't understand why the Hylians are so afraid.” Yoshio crossed his arms in anger “They should be thanking us for what our ancestors did for them. It's not right.”

“Calm down Yoshio. I'm sure the reason why the monarchy made that decision is so our technology wouldn't fall into the wrong hands.” Tsumugi reached out for her son to take her hand. “We must be thankful for the peace we have now.” Yoshio sighed and took his mothers hand.

“But that doesn't mean they had to make it all illegal. The knowledge of our technology should be shared with all so we can learn and work on making Hyrule better.” Rain added to the conversation. “The magic that our people used to create the technology must still be out there. What if we found it and used it to protect Hyrule from future threats? Right now I feel we are defenseless against great evils like the calamity. If this kingdom was attacked by another enemy like that, this kingdom would surely collapse.”

“You both are very smart. You're just like your father in wanting to protect the kingdom. Yoshio, do you still want to become a soldier?”

“Yes mother. I want to be able to learn the traditional way of fighting passed down through our tribe. And protect the village” When Yoshio wasn't helping his mother he would always be off playing soldier with his friends. He was 17 and now of age to be properly trained. 

“Alright I will call upon Ryu, the blade master, so that you may begin the training. As for you Rain. I know how much you want to be a scientist and rediscover our forgotten ways. I support your curiosity and love of learning. I think you should head to Hyrule Castle and become an apprentice.”

“Does Rain get to see papa?!” Hotaru said loudly with excitement. Rain and Yoshio looked shocked. Yoshio almost spit out his soup. Their father doesn't come up in conversation that much anymore. Colonel Sou was far off in Hyrule castle working to protect the King. He was a Sheikah warrior who mastered the martial arts and pledged his life to protecting Hyrule. However in doing so he had to leave Kakariko Village and his family. He usually came back for some holidays, however his dedication to his work often came first. Once a year they would take a trip to Hyrule Castle town and spend two weeks with their father. Tsumugi and Sou were still very much in love and would write to each other all the time. However it was difficult at times. Tsumugi lost her sense of sight after a terrible illness when Rain was 8 years old, Yoshio was just a toddler, and Hotaru wasn't even born. But Tsumugi was able to raise the three all by herself and keep up the farm once her husband started working. And even though Rain was still young she took up responsibility and helped her mother as much as she could. They did perfectly fine on their own. Selling their pumpkins and handmade crafts throughout the years. But now it was time for baby birds to fly the nest and start growing up.

“I suppose she does get to see him.” Tsumugi said smiling. “But if Rain didn't want to go, that's ok too. It's up to her.” 

“Ugh that old geezer shouldn't even bother with this family!” Yoshio rolled his eyes. He hated the fact that their father was always gone. He started working for the military just after Hotaru was born. Before that he was a guard for the village. “He cares more about the kingdom than his family.” His sisters and mother remained quiet and continued to eat their food. Trying to ignore his rude comment.

Once dinner was finished and the table was cleaned and dishes washed. Rain stepped outside in the growing dusk. She watched the sun sink below the surrounding mountains and the village was covered in shadows. Rain dazed off as she enjoyed the peaceful sounds of the village when she felt a little tug on her clothing. It was Hotaru.

“Are you really going to go to the castle? Can I come with you?” Rain smiled at her little sister.

“I wish you could come.” Rain squeezed Hotoru in a hug “You'd make a great traveling companion. But you have to stay here and help mama. She needs you.” Hotaru looked saddened at the fact that she had to stay. “It's going to be okay. I promise.” Rain hugged her sister one more time. “Let's go catch some fireflies, okay?” Hotaru jumped up with excitement.

“Let me go get my jar!” Hotaru’s favorite thing to do was run through the night catching the tiny glowing bugs to keep by her bedside. Once she had retrieved her jar she took Rain’s hand as they headed off into the twilight casted Kakariko village. As the village slowly became more quiet the only sounds that could be heard were the chirps of crickets, the hoots of the owls, and the giggles of Hotaru. Once they had a good amount of fireflies from all over the village. Rain and Hotaru could hear the distant calls of their mother asking them to come home. 

0